PDA

View Full Version : New GSX 650F

FDM
12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyone have any info on the new gsx650f?

When I went to look at the Bandit I also looked at the 650, it is also a nice looking bike with a more up right sitting position. I like the faring it has and the black and silver just caught my eye. Any comments will be appreciated.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/colorVariations/500/GSX650FK8_BlackSilver_afb6b9.jpg

jnappier
12-16-2007, 08:00 PM

When I went to look at the Bandit I also looked at the 650, it is also a nice looking bike with a more up right sitting position. I like the faring it has and the black and silver just caught my eye. Any comments will be appreciated.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/colorVariations/500/GSX650FK8_BlackSilver_afb6b9.jpg

I can't find a review. Good looking bike. I want one.

FDM
12-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah I want one to, I didn't have any luck on finding any reveiws either, before I jump off and by another new bike I would like to hear from someone that owns or has rode one.

macktruckturner
12-28-2007, 04:48 AM
I saw this in a recent magazine and got pretty interested.

FDM
12-28-2007, 09:44 AM
My wife and I looked at the 650 and the Bandit again yesterday, I really like the 650 but by sitting on both of them the Bandit seems to be a better sitting position and more comfortable for my wife to ride with me, so looks like Iíll be buying a Bandit some time in 08.

Brass
01-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I've had a look at both bikes, the differences are very minor. Aside from the obvious plastics and instruments. The main differences that I've seen are the seat and the handlebar risers. Either is easily changed to suit the rider. Personally I prefer the GSX for the added wind protection of the fairing, even though it may not offer much extra protection. Some is always better than none.
Both bikes will have the same motor which is electric smooth. It easily rivals any Lexus for smoothness.
Either bike will be a great ride. Enjoy.

suzukijo
02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
i wish they made lowers that looked like this for the gsf1250!

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23604

Brass
02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
If you look over the specs between the 2 bikes you see that dimensionally they are almost identical. You could probably take the entire upper and lower fairings (and related hardware) and have it all fit the 1250.

I'd be shocked if some little designer, in a dark corner of Suzuki headquarters, didn’t have the idea of interchangeable parts in mind when the 650/1250 Bandit and GSX line-up was first sketched out.
Could there possibly be a GSX1250 in the future?!

All it will take is a bit of time for a few GSX650’s to get wrecked and the parts end up eBay, then we’ll know.

blaze84
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm not sure if it will help you FDM as your original post was quite some time ago but maybe it will help others.

I have a GSX650F, have about 1,500 miles on it.

It has been a great bike for me. I used to ride sport bikes but hadn't ridden one in 12 years so I wanted to "ease" back into it plus I will primarily use the bike to commute to work.

It is an extremely comfortable bike (I'm 6', 190). The upright handle bar position makes it easy to ride for 4+ hours. It has plenty of pickup and power particularly in 2nd and 3rd and the handling is good but the bike is much heavier than the GSX-R's, it weighs nearly 500 lbs.

There is a good review of it in last month's "Rider" -- the review is actually what led me to get serious about investigating it. And I think the review is spot on. It is a nice sporty bike (the full fairing look is nice), but it isn't a sports bike and shouldn't be confused with a R6, CBR or GSX-R or something like that.

FDM
03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info I did really like the 650 when I seen it but since then I bought a 1250 Bandit, my wife said the Bandit was more comfy for her when we were looking at both bikes at the dealer.

Good luck with your new bike....I think they look AWESOME!!

RTL
03-22-2008, 10:38 AM
There is a video of a British track test of the GSX 650F vs. Yamaha's YZF-R6 I think. The gist as I remember it was that for everyday use by most riders the GSX was the better bike and a bargain to boot. The Yamaha was faster on the track. I am not sure why they didn't compare it with the FZ6 which is in the same price range?

PrairieParson
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I have take a look or two at this bike. My St1300 Honda is great but too hot in the summer. Smaller engine has great appeal=Less heat. I don't nearly push the ST1300 to what it can do. I just like riding. If they have bags and top case, some alternate windshields seats and risers, this could make a great touring bike. Otherwise, I may switch to the V-Strom 650. I figure gas will stay high for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOng time, so I might as well figure on it.

jnappier
04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
My St1300 Honda is great but too hot in the summer.

My ST1300 was hot too, until I removed the front cowlings, now she is cool. Still heavy, but wow what a torque band. Why can't they make touring kits for bikes like the GXSR1000 or Busa, then they would be lite, fast and comfy.

PrairieParson
04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
The closest I have found to my ideal would be the Bandit 1250, Gsx650r, or the v-strom 650. The Bandit 1250 might be the winner here but I want to find out how it holds up after a few years. My father-in-law, who had a small Ford dealership in a small town in WIS. always said, don't buy any car in its first year of production. My guess is that this is not a bad rule of thumb for MC's either. I can wait a while before trading. I generally do like the ST and I am a little afraid that I might sell it, buy something else and then kick myself with buyers remorse. Ergo, I am trying to go slow with this decision.

GQ*
04-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I saw it the other day when I went w/a friend to pick up his new bike. I'm guessing they did away w/the Katana to make room for this? It looks just like the gs500f; not that that is a bad thing by any means. What do you think about the SV? I would think b/c of the proven record it would be better to go with.

Brass
04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Keep in mind that the GSX650, and Bandit 650 are the same bike but with a different fairing. In Europe and Canada the 650 has been in service for a year already and haven't displayed any issues.

I was able to ride the Bandit version last year and was very impressed with the motor. I found it to be very linear in its power delivery. What was most noticeable was what was missing, vibration. The 650 is the smoothest motor I have ever ridden. You'll notice I didn't say it's the smoothest "bike". Lexus, BMW and others should take notes on this. Put one hand on the 650's motor when it is running and the other on a Lexus engine and you'll know what I'm talking about.

The clutch and transmission were typical of Suzuki with a smooth yet firm and positive engagement of all gears.

The suspension made the bike feel planted and secure under me. There is no comparing it to top shelf parts but for what the bike is and its pricing it was very acceptable.

The ergonomics seemed to fit me well enough. The bars are easy to adjust or change to suit the needs. Peg placement felt a bit out of place at first for a standard. I expected them to be a touch lower and maybe forward by an inch or so.

In the end I did not buy one, I spent my money on the 1250 Bandit instead. Not because of the bike but instead my needs. Most of my riding is 2-up, loaded down with luggage in the high elevations of the Canadian Rockies. The added torque of the 1250 was more suitable for the environment.

This year however my wife is taking a motorcycle safety training course. Once she has her new license tucked into her riding jacket, we’ll be heading off to the dealer to pick up 650 of her very own.