PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Seats/Saddles?

etcthorne
12-17-2007, 05:37 AM
OK, I searched a little - not too much.

This stock seat is going to have to go. What are the best aftermarket seats out there? I saw a good looking Corbin for the Bandit, but want to know if there are other cheaper alternatives. The seating position is almost perfect, the bike is very powerful and very smooth - good for long-range touring (with some bags).

The stock seat is hard for one. For two - it slopes too much forward. It's interesting that I actually loved the stock Katana 750 seat (2006 model). It was almost flat and had a LOT of cushion.

Thanks Guys.

etcthorne
12-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Bump - don't tell me all of you have cast iron butts and put up with this seat! :lol2: My butt is old (45) and needs some cushion.

etcthorne
12-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Well... I could raise the seat, but the owner's manual tells you to ask the dealer how to do this. Looked briefly at the seat bottom yesterday and it's not readily apparent to me, but then again, I was never mechanically inclined. Could somebody give me the quick down-and-dirty on raising the seat? From what I read, it's set to the low position at the factory, and my legs will reach the ground from a bit higher position. Might help for butt comfort as well.

Manfred
12-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm too cheap to buy a Corbin or Mustang (they don't make them for my bike, anyway). I've tried cheap pads (for ATVs), beaded covers (a very good improvement), sheepskin (OK), and finally sprung for a Saddlemen's seat kit. Hard as pine for weeks. Raised my seating position about an inch. Still getting it settled in, have spoken with tech support at Saddlemen's (very good folks), and am hopeful it will soon be a good compromise between firm and soft. It looks great.

snuffcityrider
12-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Day long saddles by Russell Cycle Products. Not cheap but well worth the money.

FatalException0E
12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Well... I could raise the seat, but the owner's manual tells you to ask the dealer how to do this. Looked briefly at the seat bottom yesterday and it's not readily apparent to me, but then again, I was never mechanically inclined. Could somebody give me the quick down-and-dirty on raising the seat? From what I read, it's set to the low position at the factory, and my legs will reach the ground from a bit higher position. Might help for butt comfort as well.

I thought that was supposed to be pretty easy. I think it tells how in my shop manual. I pretty much ignored it because my Bandit doesn't have the adjustable seat. I'll check it out.

Willie
12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Bump - don't tell me all of you have cast iron butts and put up with this seat! :lol2: My butt is old (45) and needs some cushion.

Nope! My 59 year old but suffers as well. I have my name in at Sargent for the release of their version of the Bandit saddle/seat. I have one on my 650Vstrom (Iron Butt SS1000 on it) and had one on my BMW R1100S (thought I would never pee again after a 670 mile day on the stock seat). I have no interest in Sagent, just a very satified customer!
Willie

Willie
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM

I've adjusted the seat.... Makes a bit of difference for me. Still going to go with the Sargent.

TX_F2
12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I have a Corbin on my VFR and it's a big difference compaired to a riding buddy's stock 04 VFR seat, but it came with my bike when I bought it and I doubt I would have paid the $400 it costs for a new one had it not already been included in the sale of the bike. IMO $400 is absurd for a seat....... but maybe I'm just either too cheap or too poor. lol

IIRC, if you ship Sargent your stock seat they will put in their foam and send it back. Should be cheaper that way than just buying a whole customized seat from them.

Also, maybe keep an eye out on E-Bay, I see Corbins every once in a while for the VFR's so maybe there are some for a Bandit.

stevenspring
12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
check out this site for seat mods http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

GregH
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM

+1. Spencer is a great guy and will turn your seat around in about two days. Denser foam and gel inserts will cost $70. It is night and day compared to the stock seat. I have nearly 3,000 miles on mine and can hardly believe I lasted the first 1,000 on stock.

PhilS
12-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I had the Spencer mod as well - great job.

Also, look for Zen Man's posting on Bandit Alley for a blow by blow description on raising/lowering the seat.....

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9058.0

Lets just hope this link works......

budzrex
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
I really like my Rick Mayer Saddle, very similar to the Russell as they
are brothers although Russell no longer owns Day Long as I understand it

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Here is a pic of my mayer saddle

Roy
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM
at 4k miles and my seat does not bother me that much anymore, maybe my butt is hardened now from it.:lol2:

MetrickMetal
12-19-2007, 09:35 AM
After almost 5K I have started to get used to the stock seat, and it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did, but I have pre-regestered with Sargent seats, for a new seat they will be coming out with for the Bandit next spring.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsbandit.htm

FatalException0E
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
After almost 5K I have started to get used to the stock seat, and it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did, but I have pre-regestered with Sargent seats, for a new seat they will be coming out with for the Bandit next spring.

Seriously? No seat for any other Bandits? :argh:

treybrad
12-19-2007, 12:45 PM

+1, I never thought it was that bad to start with, but it doesn't bother me much at all anymore. I'm usually ready to stop and stretch out by the time the seat becomes a problem.

One thing that helped me was raising just the front of the seat. Takes away some of the forward tilt the seat has and makes it more comfortable, at least for me anyway.

trey

KenB
12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
+1

bones
12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.alaskaleather.com/

I like these a lot and stock seats have never bugged me much other than my KLR, but **** the Corbins for the KLR were horrible too IMO, I's go Russel or Sargent if I needed custom seat from what I have read.

Valker
12-24-2007, 04:46 PM
KLR/Corbin was the worst combo EVER for me!!!!!!!!!!:giveup:

PhilS
12-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I have been riding with a hunk of aircraft grade pilot seat sheepskin I took out of one of the jets for the driver seat of my Bandit. It is tan so it looks like crap but it's very comfortable both in hot and cold weather. God designed sheep well !! :-P

My wife ordered an Alaska Leather Buttpad for me for Christmas. It should be here in the next few days. It is a Pillion 1 size for the driver seat only, is black, and is sheared to 1". It also has an elastic strap or two that hold it on to the seat. When it gets wet (God forbid) you simply shake it radically and it goes dry. I hear they are very comfortable.

Anyone tried one of these yet?

And yes, pictures will follow once on the bike.

See it at http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html. It will look alot like this:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/Buttpad.jpg

Valker
12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Got one on my Ninja-great stuff.

MetrickMetal
12-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I have been riding with a hunk of aircraft grade pilot seat sheepskin I took out of one of the jets for the driver seat of my Bandit. It is tan so it looks like crap but it's very comfortable both in hot and cold weather. God designed sheep well !! :-P

My wife ordered an Alaska Leather Buttpad for me for Christmas. It should be here in the next few days. It is a Pillion 1 size for the driver seat only, is black, and is sheared to 1". It also has an elastic strap or two that hold it on to the seat. When it gets wet (God forbid) you simply shake it radically and it goes dry. I hear they are very comfortable.

See it at http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html. It will look alot like this:

Phil,

Can't wait to hear how this works out for you, as this may be something I might try out.

RR Rider
12-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I've been very happy with my Sargent seat. Looks great, feels great. Good value for the money. Longest day on it so far was 999 miles.

MetrickMetal
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I've been very happy with my Sargent seat. Looks great, feels great. Good value for the money. Longest day on it so far was 999 miles.

RR Rider,

I'm pre-regestered for the new Bandit seat Sargent will be coming out with next spring, but between my butt getting used to the stock seat, and the seat breaking in, I may not need to purchase a new seat, but I am still anxious to see what their new seat looks like.

PhilS
12-29-2007, 02:51 PM

If you tell me you went 999 miles and did not go at least 1000 miles and get your Iron Butt "SaddleSore" Award, you should be shamed!!! :eek2:

Go to www.ironbutt.com

I hope to get mine in 2008 for some reason......

MetrickMetal
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
If you tell me you went 999 miles and did not go at least 1000 miles and get your Iron Butt "SaddleSore" Award, you should be shamed!!! :eek2:

Go to www.ironbutt.com

I hope to get mine in 2008 for some reason......

I done 2 SaddleSore 1000's, and all on my VTX 1800, and they all were awesome rides, with a lot of great scenery, and the riding buddies who I did them with and myself are probably going to due another one in 08, and they are diffinately something I recommend everyone trying at least once in there life. :rider:

Noise Most Beautiful
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
2nd vote for the "butt-ugly" (no pun intended) hunk of sheepskin. I have a handcut piece mounted to my 1250 presently and it's very warm now that it's winter. I hope it takes some of the sting out of the summer as well. We will see in time. Can't get much more comfort for free than that.

windman
12-30-2007, 06:37 AM

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4540/seatjr5.jpg

lddave
12-30-2007, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=budzrex;338072]I really like my Rick Mayer Saddle, very similar to the Russell as they
are brothers although Russell no longer owns Day Long as I understand it

Here is a little custom seat history to clear up some confusion.
Bill Mayer owned Russell Day Long Seats , then Bill sold Russell seats and then started Bill Mayer seats. He died and the two brothers Rick and Rocky went into business competing against each other building seats patterned after their dad's seats.
Russell was again sold in 2000 to some other folks who continue to this day.
Russell seats and which ever Mayer seat you buy are not alike, one uses springs and foam where the other two use foam.
I had one of Bill Mayers seats it was pretty good.
Have two Russell seats and a Mr Ed's Moto seat.
These are true custom seats.
Corbin and Sargent are are not true custom seats.
I had a Corbin seat and it looked good but lt had poor fit to the bike and it was marginly better comfort wise over a long day then the stock seat.
Your butt may be fine with other seats but my next seat will be a Russell.

Roy
12-30-2007, 08:58 AM

I have been using one since day one on my Bandit. It was a leftover item from my DL650 V-Strom. It works good hot or cold. Strap was sort of cheezy on the earlier models like I have but nothing a good canvas shop couldn't repair in a few minutes. They are not too good once wet from rain:mrgreen:

Noise Most Beautiful
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Roy. Some of the simple stuff is often the best. Don't go chasing waterfalls? :) I am facinated by all the information in this thread, so many modifications I want to try now.

PhilS
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Ye ol' Butt Pad arrived today - only a couple days after I ordered it from Anchorage Alaska!!! They work fast. See it at www.alaskaleather.com.

Quality is very nice and most important, it's warm and comfortable. Here is what you get plus left and right shots. It unclips instantly and the clips are easily accessable. Nice piece for $50.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ButtPad003.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ButtPad005.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ButtPad006.jpg

bones
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
You will be very happy with that cover. 1300 miles on a stock seat with that was no problem one weekend.

A1A
01-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Like bones said, you will be very happy with the AlaskaButt Pad and your butt will thank you.
I'm using the one I had for my Vstrom.

:rider:

marylynn
01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
hey I had a custom seat made on my 2007 Bandit 1250 from Rich's in Seattle, he did a great job, maybe you out to get some sheep skin to bear the ride to Seattle he can put it on in one day or you can mail it up check out the web site http://www.richscustomseats.com/ He is great if you need adjustments too.
Marylynn, Lynnedowning@gmail.com

suzukijo
01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
my stock seat, with time has become cushy. i would suggest to simply wait till it breaks in, and save the cash for tires! 5k is the majic mile marker.

MetrickMetal
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
my stock seat, with time has become cushy. i would suggest to simply wait till it breaks in, and save the cash for tires! 5k is the majic mile marker.

I have to agree with Joe, as at first I couldn't stand my stock seat, and now that I have almost 5,000 miles on it, its not bothering me at all anymore, and it seem it just keeps getter better with use. :rider:

GregH
01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but is it the seat that is getting broken-in or your butt? :rofl:

MetrickMetal
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, but is it the seat that is getting broken-in or your butt? :rofl:

I'm sure its a little bit of both, butt who cares. :rider:

PhilS
01-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Greg:

Did you get the spencer treatment to both driver and rider sections and did you get the gel insert? If you only got the front like I did, can you tell a buzz difference from front to back if you slide back a bit?

Rollie Landry
01-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Has anyone that's vertically challenged ever tried to replace the 1250 saddle (front part) with that of a Bandit 650, which is lower?

marylynn
01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I had Rich's in Seattle lower the seat about 1/12 for me and it is nice as I am 5'6". Also added some jell for comfort and I had him put leather over with stitching that matches the bike in color.

Rollie Landry
01-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I too am 5' 6", with about a 29-30 inseam. With that mod, can you pretty much put your feet flat on the ground at a stop? And what about comfort? I imagine if the seat has been cut down, that would mean there is now less padding. Is the gel pad sufficient to allow for that? Do you feel that that mod is good for 6-8 hrs at a stretch?

Rollie Landry
01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh, I forgot, any chance you could provide a few photos of your saddle, on the bike, from different angles? I live in Vancouver so I'm only 3 hrs north, meaning that I have easy access to Rich's services. Thanks.

GregH
01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Phil,
I only "Spencer-ized" the front seat. No discernible buzz on the back seat.

PhilS
04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I've checked the prices for every seat they offer for Suzuki motorcycles including all of the GSX series as well as all of the SV series bikes, and the prices on their website range from $280 to $300 for a standard seat so I would feel that around $260 sounds like a very realistic price for the Bandit seat if in fact it will be offered to everyone who has pre-regestered like you and I have at what they say will be a "below-retail" introductory price. :rider:

I think you should budget $350 for pre-reg pricing plus shipping.........

I just spoke with Scott at Sargent Seats and got these details:

1) Seat will most likely be priced at $350 to $400 retail.
2) The pre-reg discount, if it holds to past pre-reg discounts, will be $50.
3) The seat will be a one piece seat - replacing our current 2 piece design.
4) The seat will not be height adjustable like current design, but will be offered in 2 different foam height versions.
5) They offer a 30 return policy for full refund - unlike Corbin.
6) Give it about 4 more weeks until release. They will email out to all the pre-reg types, but we all know email sucks and you may never see it. If not, keep watching the site, call them, and they will give the discount.

There ya go.

Doons
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM

+1 For comfort, nothing better. For apperance... mmmm. well they sure are comfortable!

MetrickMetal
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM

4) The seat will not be height adjustable like current design, but will be offered in 2 different foam height versions.
6) Give it about 4 more weeks until release. They will email out to all the pre-reg types, but we all know email sucks and you may never see it. If not, keep watching the site, call them, and they will give the discount.

There ya go.

Thats sounds strange that the Bandit seat will cost that much more than all of their other seats they sell for Suzuki's, and if thats the case, I may just end up trying out the gel seat from Suzuki.

cruizer
04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a Corbin. If I had to do it over again, (read...no refund or return policy) I wouldn't do it. Actually...I should say that I own a Corbin but I don't have it as it is back at the factory for the 2nd time. Each time you send your seat back for modifications it takes about a month to get it back. Not very impressive customer service, especially for the person that has already spent their $700.00 for a seat and backrest.

I've owned two other Corbin seats and liked them very well...they were great right out of the box. I purchased this one for my 1250 and was pretty disappointed that it was actually worse than the stock saddle for sliding you into the tank, plus it wouldn't fit with the Suzuki top case rack because it was too long at the base. No problem...hey it's a new product right?

I sent it back with instructions to get rid of the slope so that I wasn't crotch riding the tank all the time, which is my main beef with the stock seat. 3 1/2 weeks later it came back...no change other than it would now fit with the rack. Same annoying slope, same sliding into the tank. Honestly...I couldn't see or feel that anything was changed.

I'm a pretty patient guy so I contacted the salesman, (middleman). Got lots of good lip service, "sorry about that, they said they made some changes but apparently not enough"...(right on), "what would you like to do?"

I suggested that they let me talk to the person actually doing the work this time so that they can hear first hand, (not from a vague piece of paper) what the problem is and discuss a course of action with me. The salesman said he would suggest that. He said that he would have them call him as soon as the seat arrived and then he would have them call me. Well...they've had the seat two weeks and I've heard nothing, nada.

Frankly I don't mind that the seat needs some adjustment...it happens. What concerns and frustrates me is the sluggish response from the factory after the sale. Of course this could still be salvageable if they actually fix the problem with the seat. Honestly I'm not expecting that based on the last go-around, but if they do I'll step up to the plate and let everyone know. I believe that Corbin makes some fine products, but I believe this seat was released prematurely. If you are thinking about a Corbin seat for the 1250 be warned that if you're not happy with it as it is out of the box you could be in for some major frustration.

OK...I'm done.

cruizer

cruizer
05-19-2008, 10:04 AM
My Corbin update for those interested: Pics included.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,64323.msg719480.html#msg719480

whitesands
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the information.

skipper
05-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I just received the gel seat and the install was simple the seat is wider and the pass. section is softer my section feels firmer but in a good way I had none of the pain that came with the stock seat,which has been the reason I only have 1800 miles maybe this will take care of that problem.http://www.twtex.com/forums/images/smilies/happyrider.gif

Huladog
05-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Has anyone that's vertically challenged ever tried to replace the 1250 saddle (front part) with that of a Bandit 650, which is lower?

There's an active discussion on the other board about using the new GSX650F seat on the 1250 since it is apparently a perfect swap and the GSX650F seat is lower (for more of a beginner bike).

Go take a look. We're waiting for a couple guys to swap the seat and give a ride report.

Aloha,
Huladog

twist
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey Huladog (or anyone that can assist), I've have been reading the other board about the GSX650 seat too - but now for the life of me I cannot seem find it :doh:

can someone "remind me" of the link please?

I went to the dealer today and had him swap the seats between the GSX650 and a 1250 Bandit, yes it fit perfectly, it was also several pounds lighter and a good inch lower. So I think I'm going to make the change, but am at a loss as to where to get a seat at a reasonable price? (and can't find where this was discussed at length)

Any suggestions (650 forum/ebay maybe??)

thanks - now where are those car keys... :mrgreen:

Huladog
05-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Twist, you've got PM mail.

I spotted the GSX650F seat in Suzuki of Oakland's parts fiche for about $195.00 (suzukiofoakland.com). I've ordered OEM stuff from them before, they're good.

You favorite Suzuki OEM parts supplier may have it closer to wherever you are.

Aloha,
Huladog

whitesands
05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow...The 650 seat sounds good...Not only that, by lowering the seat the handlebars will be raised somewhat.

Ed-B
05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I started that thread on the other board about the GSX650F saddle. Yes, it's a simple saddle swap, and you'll find yourself about an inch lower. I rode my new 1250S home yesterday on a GSX650F saddle, and after 120 miles and about three hours I was still quite comfortable.

I took some pictures of the bike when I got home, and you can see the how the saddle looks and fits. They're in a set in my Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25373440@N00/sets/72157605238275427/

You can click the individual images and select the "all sizes" option in the top menu bar for larger photos.

Ed.

PhilS
05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Nice looking bike and the right color of course. I can hardly remember back to when mine was "stock"!!!

For $200, and you're comfy after a couple hundred miles, this may be the way to go.

Thanks for the pictures.

Phil

whitesands
05-26-2008, 02:12 AM
That does look nice...It changes the look a bit too...Thank you for the information!

PhilS
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM

There ya go.

Update - I talked with Scott again at Sargent. He said they are now only 3 weeks away. On the 30 day return policy, if it is a stock seat with no special colors, welting, or anything, it returns for full refund. This way you can ride it as much as you can to see if the butt burn is gone to see if ya' wanna keep it.

It's a one piece - yeah for that!! He said the pre-registration discount will be generous.

My credit card is vibrating just waiting to order the seat!!!

Later.........

KenB
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
You and me both, Phil. I did a 750 mile getaway ride this weekend and my *** is still mad at me and letting me know. I considered the Suzuki gel seat but it seems to be getting mixed reviews. The GSX seat might be good but it's lower than the Bandit seat and I don't want my knees any higher. And I'm just leery of stock seats from any bike. Sargent has been good for me on other bikes. Corbin and Day Long are better than Sargent, but only if you go there and have it built custom.

marylynn
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM
yes I can put my feet flat to the ground now with the seat mod. I ave also been on a 400 mile run now, I was ready to take a big break by then
ML

cybrhick
06-02-2008, 11:47 PM
www.meancitycycles.com

MrH
06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Geez...I just installed the GSX650F seat and like it alot more than the stock Bandit seat! A little firmer (less padding?) and a little lower, but fits the bike and my tush much better. I'm over 6' (already lowered pegs) and enjoy the feeling of sitting in the bike and not so much on top as I did before, especially with the stock seat in the raised position. Still pre-registered for the Sargent seat and will give it a try when available. Thanks for the great info in this thread!

JaredM
06-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi ...I just got my burgundy bandit 2007 yesterday...40 miles to ride it home. Beautiful ride...butt( ha no pun intended) my butt was sore. My FZ6 is a very similar bike (just traded it in for the bandit) and the seat was much more comfortable. I am thinking to do the spencermod thing and entrust my seat to him for his mods. Any good or bad that anyone can tell me??

jnappier
06-07-2008, 04:15 PM

I should have my seat back from Spencer on Monday. I read alot of good reviews about his work. I am having my seat reshaped, lowered, and gel added, also mod the back seat. All for only $100. I will write a review on the seat and my new Conti-raod attacks in a week or so once I get some miles on both.

PhilS
06-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi ...I just got my burgundy bandit 2007 yesterday...40 miles to ride it home. Beautiful ride...butt( ha no pun intended) my butt was sore. My FZ6 is a very similar bike (just traded it in for the bandit) and the seat was much more comfortable. I am thinking to do the spencermod thing and entrust my seat to him for his mods. Any good or bad that anyone can tell me??

This is a non-issue. Frank does great work and will turn your 30 mile seat into a 200 mile seat in an instant. Now, IMHO, and I try to stay humble even after some of my stupid past comments, is that in order to go to a 500+ mile seat, you'll either need a very understanding butt, which I don not have, or you'll be waiting for Sargent to get done with thier $400 seat of happiness here in the next two weeks.

I got the Gel Long Distance insert from Frank last year and all the inline 4 buzz is completely gone from the seat which for me equated to "0" numbness in some areas where numbness is bad. Interestingly enough, I understand Sargent does not use Gel but accomplishes a great comfortable and supportive ride through various foams and shapes. To compare, we do not use "Gels" or any memory foams on the aircraft seats we refurbish which require support and comfort for the drivers up front for sometimes 5+ hours. So I am not convinced Gel is the beat all answer. I hear Suzuki's Gel seat is NOT getting rave reviews.

Read through all the posts in thie forum searching for "Spencer" and you'll hear this over and over again. Call Frank and chat first if ya like - he will educate you and ensure you'll be a happy camper.

Onward.....

marylynn
06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I am not sure what you should do about your seat there. Oh if that is what I need to reply to :)I spent some money had a redesigned one, its just ok, looks just ok. Will keep it for now but am keeping an eye on what else is available. I might take it to the shop and try the GSX650 seat on it. I am sure my buddy the salesman will let me check it out.

commuter boy
06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I dropped by my local dealer to see if there was in fact a difference between the 650 Bandit and the 1250 Bandit seats.

Heightwise, they're the same. The difference in the spec sheet must come from the different suspension at both ends between the big and little Bandit.

I did notice that the 1250 seat was...squishier. Softer. The 650 Bandit seat seemed to be firmer, and was made from a coarser basketweave vinyl than the 1250.

The GSXF 650 seat is certainly lower, and the pocket seems to be farther back. Might make a good base for a custom seat. Can Spencers build up a seat more than stock? I'd hate to give up the height from the stock seat, I'm long of inseam.

marylynn
06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Gee I would think so . I had Rick's in Seattle make my seat, I have the opposite problem you have I am 5'6". So Rick lowered the seat and added gel for me. It is significantly lower, I would say at least 1-1/2". the problem is now the pegs need adjustment, but I have not done that yet.
Thanks for the info on the seat!

I notice today that the valve cover gasget is leaking it only has 8000 miles but I have a 5 year warranty on the bike :)

I dropped by my local dealer to see if there was in fact a difference between the 650 Bandit and the 1250 Bandit seats.

Heightwise, they're the same. The difference in the spec sheet must come from the different suspension at both ends between the big and little Bandit.

I did notice that the 1250 seat was...squishier. Softer. The 650 Bandit seat seemed to be firmer, and was made from a coarser basketweave vinyl than the 1250.

The GSXF 650 seat is certainly lower, and the pocket seems to be farther back. Might make a good base for a custom seat. Can Spencers build up a seat more than stock? I'd hate to give up the height from the stock seat, I'm long of inseam.

PhilS
06-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Gee I would think so . I had Rick's in Seattle make my seat, I have the opposite problem you have I am 5'6". So Rick lowered the seat and added gel for me. It is significantly lower, I would say at least 1-1/2". the problem is now the pegs need adjustment, but I have not done that yet.
Thanks for the info on the seat!

I notice today that the valve cover gasget is leaking it only has 8000 miles but I have a 5 year warranty on the bike :)

Why don't you shoot a photo of that seat for all of us, eh? I thought I read an earlier post of yours saying the seat was simply "OK". Were you referring to the Rick's conversion?

marylynn
06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I will try to get a picture of the seat for you all. The seat is fine until 350 to 400 miles, but I/we want to go longer distance so I will have to come up with some other arrangement.

Why don't you shoot a photo of that seat for all of us, eh? I thought I read an earlier post of yours saying the seat was simply "OK". Were you referring to the Rick's conversion?

marylynn
06-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Here I tried to send picture of the seat Rick's in Seattle made for me last summer. I think this will work!:clap:

Ed-B
06-08-2008, 06:14 AM
I haven't seen the Bandit 650 saddle. I assumed that the Bandit 650/1250 saddles were the same, no? The GSX650F saddle is most certainly lower than the Bandit 1250S saddle though.

The GSX650F saddle is about an inch lower than the stock Bandit 1250S saddle. You can see it and measure it, and my shorter legs confirm it when I sit on the bike.

I just took photos of the two saddles side by side outdoors on a table, I've been wanting to do this anyway. Here's the pointer to the photoset:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25373440@N00/sets/72157605494305542/

Click the "all sizes" button over each photo for a full size 1024x768 image.

Ed.

MetrickMetal
06-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Update - I talked with Scott again at Sargent. He said they are now only 3 weeks away. On the 30 day return policy, if it is a stock seat with no special colors, welting, or anything, it returns for full refund. This way you can ride it as much as you can to see if the butt burn is gone to see if ya' wanna keep it.

It's a one piece - yeah for that!! He said the pre-registration discount will be generous.

Later.........

I'm anxiously awaiting the seat from Sargent also and I am still pre-registered for it. I plan on buying their stock seat so I can return it if it doesn't work out. I realty hope it ends up being a good, comfortable seat. :rider:

PhilS
06-08-2008, 10:33 AM
So here's a thought........

Has anyone ever riden with these "Bead Riders"? I recognize that these are simply butt ugly, but since it's really about your "butt" and not as much about "looks", this may be an easy $40 alternative to the up and coming $400 Sargent seat expense which is a different kind of paint in your butt. They do have a full cost of seat refund policy if yuns don't like it for wahtever reason.........

Anyone, anyone??

http://www.beadrider.com/

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/beadrider.jpg

KenB
06-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I tried one of those once Phil, just once. They help with ventilation but not so much with comfort, for me anyways. After I rode with it, I had an overwhelming urge to buy a beige Buick, listen to Lawrence Welk, and chug some Geritol.

PhilS
06-08-2008, 02:43 PM
After I rode with it, I had an overwhelming urge to buy a beige Buick, listen to Lawrence Welk, and chug some Geritol.

.........or drive a taxi!!!:rofl: :doh:

commuter boy
06-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Here I tried to send picture of the seat Rick's in Seattle made for me last summer. I think this will work!:clap:

Do you mean Rich's? http://www.richscustomseats.com/

He does good work, but man, can he talk your ear off.

MetrickMetal
06-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Later.........

I talked to Scott at Sargent this morning and he said they are still a couple of weeks away from dleivery as they are still waiting on the foam bases to be poured.

PhilS
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I talked to Scott at Sargent this morning and he said they are still a couple of weeks away from dleivery as they are still waiting on the foam bases to be poured.

This is almost getting to the point of "It will be done on Thursday............just which Thursday we don't know". Oh well, just as long as it's good. I have not anything bad about Sargent's products before.

Has anyone had a bad Sargent experience?

bones
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
This is almost getting to the point of "It will be done on Thursday............just which Thursday we don't know". Oh well, just as long as it's good. I have not anything bad about Sargent's products before.

I have never heard a bad story. I am wondering the ball park price, other wise I may buy ElBanditos near new gelly

MetrickMetal
06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I have never heard a bad story. I am wondering the ball park price, other wise I may buy ElBanditos near new gelly

Your to late, as I already sold it.

commuter boy
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

A friend of mine from Portland got a Sargent seat he didn't like, ended up cutting it down himself.

Bottom line (ha!) is that if it's an off the shelf seat, it isn't going to work for everyone. No surprise there.

KenB
06-10-2008, 05:47 AM

I worked with a guy at Sargent a couple years back on the development of a seat for the 919. I recently emailed him to ask about the 1250 seat. This was the reply:

"Don't lose heart, the Bandit seat is progressing. I believe that I saw the completed prototype a couple of weeks ago. We are currently having the seat foam tools made. And when they are finished, we will test the tools, make any final adjustments (if needed) and announce the readiness of the seat for production. My little chats with the R&D folks lead me to believe that if it all goes smoothly we should be in production sometime in July. Obviously, some additional time could be involved based on what we have left to do, but we are closing in on completion of the project.
I am pleased to hear that you are pre-registered. You will receive an email stating when we will begin accepting orders. In the past, it has been our practice to offer a discount for a limited period of time, to the individuals who pre-registered, as our way of showing appreciation for their patience and their stated interest. I have heard nothing to indicate that we will deviate from this practice with the announcement of this seat."

PhilS
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Guys with the GSX650F Seat on their 1250.........

How 'bout an updated rider report on comfort, butt burn, fit/finsh, etc.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison to someone who rode with thier stock Bandit seat and tore thier butt up and got the new 650 seat and has an updated opinion. $200 for a stock seat over the sure-to-be $400 Sargent seat is worth the thought.

Phil

bones
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I am still holding out for Sargent to come through before September when I have a 10-12 day ride and really want a new saddle. I am not spending a dime on anything else. I will use my Alaska leather butt pad on the stocker (which works and is only ~$60)

twist
06-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Got my GSX650 seat today, fits perfect on the 1250, but didn't do any long range riding yet, here's a quick/initial report:

Yes it has lowered the seat height by about one inch and considerably lighter that the stock seat (I'm almost flat footed now ;-) ). Since it's lower it's also slightly (very slightly) wider than stock, which is good, it hits different pressure points on my tender side, and seems slightly "larger" because of the increased width (imagine slicing an inch off your stock seat and you can imagine how it would be wider - slightly). Time will tell if its better. I hope to get new tires on this week and put some miles on her.

The wife says it pushes her forward a little more and it seemed smaller to her (not as long as the stock seat is what she says). I'm trying to get her to ride her own bike anyway - so maybe another good thing :lol2:

More to follow.... :rider:

Huladog
06-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Phil
Just got mine today from Suzuki of Oakland ('bout $195 with "free" shipping for purchases over $100 so I guess its comparable to other online Suzuki suppliers).

Yes, feels much lighter than stocker. Yes, straight swap for stocker, no problems at all. Fit and finish are fine, just like the stocker. Fabric seems to be more of a "grippier" pattern. Firmer feel, compared to my Spencer mod.

Nope I didn't get the chance to ride until this weekend but sitting on my Spencer mod'ed stocker then swapping over to the GSX650F seat to be honest they felt about the same height since I had Spencer try and lower my stock cushion.

GSX650F seat does look good with the one-piece design, does look lower, dang I hope it works better than the Spencer mod otherwise I now have TWO seats that work! Probably will have one or the other for sale after this weekend.

Gotta go on a hundred miler to get the butt impressions. The foam may crush down a bit and maybe the support will be better with no sliding into the tank ..... just have to wait a few days more.

Aloha,
Huladog

achesley
06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I understand the multiseat deal on finding what works for U. I had 3 seats for my DL1000. A corbin modified with narrowed nose and scooped out saddle (got me touching the ground good but ruined the comfort level for the long haul ), A stock corbin, a Rick Myers (good for local (a few hundred miles ) but the Stock Corbin was better for multiple 500 to 700 mile days) . about 1400 bucks worth of seats. Let one go with the trade and sold two on AdvRider.

whitesands
06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Let us know how it works...

JaredM
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I sent my seat to spencermod... He sent me an email yesterday to tell me he had the seat. I can not wait to try it out. From what I hear he is great. Thanks to all who let me know about him.
:clap:

PhilS
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I sent my seat to spencermod... He sent me an email yesterday to tell me he had the seat. I can not wait to try it out. From what I hear he is great. Thanks to all who let me know about him.
:clap:

It will turn that 30 mile seat into a 100 mile seat in an instant for $75. Frank does a real nice job. Now, it would appear that $400 will get you a 500 mile seat later in July.........more on that as it develops.

bones
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
It will turn that 30 mile seat into a 100 mile seat in an instant for $75. Frank does a real nice job. Now, it would appear that $400 will get you a 500 mile seat later in July.........more on that as it develops.
The stocker is only a 30 mile seat? Guess I'll stop more or ride less as it does fine for me for several hundred miles at a shot. With or without my $60 alaska leather cover.

I am banking the Sargent will help keep my nuts off the tank though. :rofl:

andouille
06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
My Corbin update for those interested: Pics included.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,64323.msg719480.html#msg719480

I am wondering if there is a way that we could reference your seat when ordering from Corbin? You know, like, I want my seat just like so and sos seat.

Tim

PhilS
06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Just spoke Scott at Sargent seats.

He said foam mold was finalized and ready to start making test seats, but when asked if it would be ready by July he said he was not sure as they have another seat for another bike being released then as well and thus marketing is unclear if they will do both at the same time. It seemed like he was leaning more towards "not in July, but later".

So, we wait..........again.

How are the Corbin seat riders doing out there?

MtnTrax
06-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Just spoke Scott at Sargent seats.
It seemed like he was leaning more towards "not in July, but later".

So, we wait..........again.

Goodgawd...not sure if my skinny asz can hold out that long. My home modified stocker is only a 100 miler per stint and a 400 mile day was rather brutal. I don't see why releasing two new products would hinder things but maybe they lack capacity to crank them out fast enough even for the pre-orders. :giveup:

MrH
06-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Sargent Cycle Products in Jacksonville does a pretty good job with their custom seat products despite what I would consider their smallish size. I made the 5 hour drive from my home a few years back to drop off a seat for modification and got the chance to see firsthand the facilities. I could see where capacity to release multiple new products at the same time, especially during the busy season, could create a delay. Give them time and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Personally, I really like the GSX650F seat I recently purchased and love the simple one-piece style and fitment. Definitely not a "touring" seat, but sure feels and looks better than the 2-piece affair to me.

Huladog
06-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Managed to get in a 100-miler to road test the new GSX650F seat to compare with my stock seat modified by Spencer.

650 seat feels firmer, not too hard, just firmer. No butt burn or aches, could be that I'm used to the bike now. The front of the 650 seats SEEMS narrower or more tapered so I it seems that I can reach the ground a little better.

Doesn't feel like it had the forward lean of the stock seat, more level I think. Yes, I know you tall guys can raise the front of the stock seat and lower the back end but us short-legged guys have to leave the stock seat as low as possible front-and-back.

Oh, well, now I have two seats that work I guess .... good thing the Bandit seats are easy to swap.

Aloha,
Huladog

KenB
06-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Managed to get in a 100-miler to road test the new GSX650F seat to compare with my stock seat modified by Spencer.

650 seat feels firmer, not too hard, just firmer. No butt burn or aches, could be that I'm used to the bike now. The front of the 650 seats SEEMS narrower or more tapered so I it seems that I can reach the ground a little better.

Doesn't feel like it had the forward lean of the stock seat, more level I think. Yes, I know you tall guys can raise the front of the stock seat and lower the back end but us short-legged guys have to leave the stock seat as low as possible front-and-back.

Oh, well, now I have two seats that work I guess .... good thing the Bandit seats are easy to swap.

Aloha,
Huladog
Thanks for this post, Huladog. I've become pretty skeptical that Sargent will get a Bandit seat done before our riding season ends here this year. Although I've had good luck with Corbin in the past, I've read that it won't clear the EOM top case. The Suzuki gel seat isn't getting very good reviews. That leaves the GSX seat. Cheaper than Corbin and readily available. I think I'm going to order one this week. Who has the best price?

achesley
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I received an email yesterday from Corbin California that my seat was shipped and should get it by the 26th. I'll let ya'll know what I think of it after I break it in with a round trip from Jennings, La. to Ardmore, Ok. Bout 800 miles. Today I did a 386 or so round trip to check out the Mississippi at Natchez , Miss. For sure needs another seat. Geesh!

cruizer
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Although I've had good luck with Corbin in the past, I've read that it won't clear the EOM top case.

Ken...All is well with the Corbin and the top case now. It clears just fine. Mine was the one that had the issue originally. They took care of it right away...well...that is...after waiting six weeks to get it back.
:doh:

Here are some pics of the seat after it was reworked the last time. I had them create a little more of a pocket at the rear and add some padding at the front to keep from sliding on to the tank all the time. This is my third Corbin...didn't like it at all until the rework. Works like it should now.

cruizer

Huladog
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Who has the best price?
Let's see, looks like you're in NY so you might want to try Oneida Suzuki as I think they had it for about $160.00 and the shipping will be closer to you. I also found it at SuzukiPartsOutlet.com which is down in FL and it was about $160.00.

For me Suzuki of Oakland was OK since they included the shipping in their $195 price (guesstimate $160 + $35 to ship).

When you order Suzuki parts online from the different outlets, pay close attention and you'll notice they all seem to use the same PowerSportsNetwork online store service. Prices do differ though, so shop around a bit!

Aloha,
Huladog

commuter boy
06-23-2008, 01:35 AM

Meh, a $13 beaded seat cover from Shucks will do better than that. I had a 1,000 mile day from Fort Nelson to Vancouver yesterday, got to run up the Cassiar and back via the Yukon. I go back again next weekend and won't hesitate. It's ugly, but it works.

Man, I love getting paid to ride.

KenB
06-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Ken...All is well with the Corbin and the top case now. It clears just fine. Mine was the one that had the issue originally. They took care of it right away...well...that is...after waiting six weeks to get it back.
:doh:

Here are some pics of the seat after it was reworked the last time. I had them create a little more of a pocket at the rear and add some padding at the front to keep from sliding on to the tank all the time. This is my third Corbin...didn't like it at all until the rework. Works like it should now.

cruizer
Thanks, cruizer! That's looks fantastic! How do you like it?

marylynn
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey there is that a gas can I see on top the luggage? Smart!
I was just thinking about doing this on yesterdays ride to keep up with my hubby/Goldwing. He wants the longest cruising range possible.
Also the beaded thing works well hugh? I might just try this as after 400+ miles I want to sit somewhere else.

Meh, a $13 beaded seat cover from Shucks will do better than that. I had a 1,000 mile day from Fort Nelson to Vancouver yesterday, got to run up the Cassiar and back via the Yukon. I go back again next weekend and won't hesitate. It's ugly, but it works.

Man, I love getting paid to ride.

commuter boy
06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey there is that a gas can I see on top the luggage? Smart!

Kind of necessary up there, fuel stops can be far between, and sometimes pumps run out, or close at odd hours.

The beads work for some people better than others. For me the best thing is the removal of pressure points and the extra airflow down there. Keeps everything nice and dry. I've spoken with some, ah, more stoutly built riders than I and the beads didn't work out so well for them, packed down the foam enough so that it was like riding in a steel tractor pan.

marylynn
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
You crack me up.............. packed down the foam enough so that it was like riding in a steel tractor pan. LOL
I just looked at my maintenance schedule: replace spark plugs at 7500 miles, whoops got 8909 on odometer today, guess I better take care of that! Any recommendations?

You crack me upTE=commuter boy;434392]Kind of necessary up there, fuel stops can be far between, and sometimes pumps run out, or close at odd hours.

The beads work for some people better than others. For me the best thing is the removal of pressure points and the extra airflow down there. Keeps everything nice and dry. I've spoken with some, ah, more stoutly built riders than I and the beads didn't work out so well for them,[/QUOTE]

achesley
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Well people,
After the wife left for work and I did a nap ;-). I was in wonderment if I could even use the Nelson Rigs with the Beta2. Not possible. The exhaust is in the way big time. Plus you would have to hang the NRs so low to get it done and then draping the right one over the exhaust can. I did a few pictures of just the Wolfmans on and then the NRs on both collasped and with the inserts in them. I think if I did use them I would leave the inserts out. Their fitment leaves a bit to be desired to me.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Quik%20Uploads/NRfromrearwithsupports.jpg
This is the NRs with the plastic side support in them mount on the seat as under the seat would be a problem with them on the exhaust. I shortened up the straps just so they would clear.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Quik%20Uploads/NRsideshot2.jpg
A side shot of the NR's with supports

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Quik%20Uploads/NRstraps.jpg
A side shot with the straps showing.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Quik%20Uploads/WMsideshot.jpg
A side shot on the Wolfmans.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Quik%20Uploads/WMrear.jpg
A rear shot of the Wolfmans. I just stuff a few towels I had in the garage to kinda fill them out. Not even half of what they hold.

So, I guess I'll have to play with them here in the house and see just what will pack in them. I don't carry lots of stuff with me on my travels. A couple changes of jeans, about 2 short sleeve and 2 long sleeve tshirts, a sweat shirt. Widder vest and gloves, about 4 changes of socks and shorts, A cover for the bike, tennis shoes and not a hold lot more. I generally find a washing place every 3 or 4 days. Wash tshirt, shorts and socks ever nite when taking a shower.

If anyone wanted to carry more I think I'd go with a different set up. Course I have stuff in the tail pack, tank panniers and tank bag also. Kinda spread it out on the bike and try to keep most of it kinda low.

bones
06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the pics. Even with my Mini-beta I bet I'd have issues with saddle bags. I will stick with what I have now and just pack less. If I didn't bring camping gear (and had more compact...ie more $$ gear) I think that's help, but my pad and sleeping bag don't pack as small as I'd like, but I don't camp enough to justify breaking the bank on that sorta stuff.

MetrickMetal
06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I just got off the phone with Scott at Sargent and he said they are looking at about two weeks or less now to when they start sending e-mails out to all the people that have pre-regestered for the seat, and they are very close to start producing them. :rider:

andouille
06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I just got off the phone with Scott at Sargent and he said they are looking at about two weeks or less now to when they start sending e-mails out to all the people that have pre-regestered for the seat, and they are very close to start producing them. :rider:

Well, there ya go, I ordered my "Cruizer Cut Corbin" last week. I may order a Sargnet and keep the best of the two.

Tim

bones
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
the wait is killing me about as much as the price will. :rofl:

achesley
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, got the Corbin in last Thursday or Wednesday. Hmmmm Memory ?.
Didn't get to try it as it was raining like heck here in South Louisiana. Did get some runs on it over the weekend. A bit Friday > 80 miles. Bout 140 miles Saturday. About 180 miles yesterday with a go of about 140 miles on backroads running at 55 to 65 mph as the opening leg. Seat did good. Way better than the stocker. I really think it's going to do what I want for multiple 500+ miles days running across country. I generally only do 100 mile legs before stopping for a break and even down to 70 miles legs when really hot weather.

etcthorne
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm tellin youz guyz - do the "Mark" mod if you are too cheap to buy another seat. I call it the "Mark" mod (my mod) because I've yet to find another poster who can claim it. If someone has patented this mod, plz let me know and I'll retract - :giveup:

Anyway, remove the cover and carefully scoop out about 1.5" on the left and right of the back section of the rider's seat, or just about where each butt cheek would sit. Replace cover, enjoy.

I did this out of sheer desparation about 700 miles ago and couldn't be happier. The stock seat has all day comfort now, for the price of about 1.5 hours labor and about two dozen staples (cost unknown).

The only drawback is that the seat looks a bit funky when you're not sitting on it - you're able to see the indents. If you're thinking of purchasing an aftermarket seat, please try this first. What have you got to lose? :trust:

achesley
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Anyway, remove the cover and carefully scoop out about 1.5" on the left and right of the back section of the rider's seat, or just about where each butt cheek would sit. Replace cover, enjoy.

I was trying that years ago Mark. But my tailbone does not like any pressure against it for the long haul. I had to scoop out all across it and then I was planted in that one spot. I could not get really firm foam back then as you can now. Love seeing you guys doing mods like that, reminds me of my youth.

PhilS
07-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Eeek Gads Guys - it's real!!! July 9 2008 release date!!!!

From the Sargent Site:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/SargentSeat.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/SargentSeatBackrest.jpg

Continuing in the tradition of meticulously designed and produced seats, Sargent is pleased to introduce the World Sport Performance Seat for the Suzuki Bandit.
Utilizing the latest design teqniques, exacting manufacturing processes, and superior materials, each World Sport seat pan is precision-molded for superior fit and installs just like the stock seat (no additional hardware required). The Suzuki Bandit features our injection-molded PolyTec base pan. This super tough, lightweight material provides an exceptional, high-performance seat foundation.

Our Super Cell Atomic Foam suspension is our own unique and proprietary blend of resilience, firmness, and vibration-absorption qualities - making it well suited for maximum long distance comfort.

The World Sport Performance Seat for the Suzuki Bandit features our marine-grade, UV-stabilized, upholstery - hand-sewn specifically to maximize the qualities of the Super Cell Foam. In addition, it is virtually maintenance free.

This World Sport Performance Seat has the following features:

PolyTec Seat Pan.
Built-in storage compartment in seat pan.
Super Cell Atomic Foam suspension.
Available in two seat heights - Regular and Low.
Offered with CarbonFX vinyl seating inserts.
Color-coordinated welt - optional.
All mounting and backrest hardware built in.
Optional Passenger Backrest sold separately.

KenB
07-04-2008, 05:23 AM

Your turn, Phil! :)

I'm packed and ready to go. Will have some comments about the GSX seat on Monday or Tuesday after we return. So far, I've only commuted on it and it's been fine. No complaints. But 16 miles is hardly enough to give feedback. See ya soon!

Willie
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM

My credit card is vibrating!!!

suzukijo
07-04-2008, 08:20 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/SargentSeat.jpg

eee-eeekk! omigod, look at those chicken stripes.

and a square, flattened center tread? i better stay away from a seat like that. do those seats come with conch and fringe tassels too? (giggling)

andouille
07-05-2008, 07:00 AM
eee-eeekk! omigod, look at those chicken stripes.

and a square, flattened center tread? i better stay away from a seat like that. do those seats come with conch and fringe tassels too? (giggling)

Aftermarket seats, if made correctly, can add hours to the time you are able to ride your motorcycle in comfort. Sadly, this longer riding time, increases the odds that you will encounter a long straight road!:clap:

Tim

suzukijo
07-05-2008, 11:39 AM
i was making fun of the situation.

the gsf 1250, being a 'standard' does many things well.

riding straight or crooked, neither makes one better or worse.

it wasnt till i got stuck on a freeway for an hour or two, till i reliased what others were talkiing about when they spoke about the stock seat being uncomfortable. sitting in one spot for a 100 miles, makes the cheeks numb. being able to move around becomes necessary, which is difficult with the narrow stock seat.

riding some lonely road, to find another lonely road, is more my way of experiencing the fun of motorcycling. how, and where we ride is freedom.
i am not here to say any one way is less, or more.

driving down some never ending twisty road, skootching off in the corners, and back and forth thru the turns, seems more fun to me, and me cheeks dont fall asleep. so quickly.

the 'conch and fringe' was a joke. as was my childish remarks about the tire.

its probably a good seat, the white piping seems to have come from the 60's.

the passenger backrest, that slips in the logo tab cover is a neat idea, and very functional. whoever invented that idea, should be congratulated.

achesley
07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I knew your were kidding ;-).
I got my Corbin in last week and it installed great and looks great. Not near does the stitching in the real look like Corbin's picture. Looks much better. So far, with only about 3 to 400 miles butt time on it,. it's much better. If we had roads like the Ozarks of Arkansas or Colorado or the Serrias , etc., I could probably live with a 2 x 4 there. :giveup: :eek2:
I should have the Givi T windshield in by the time I get home. Here we are hopeing to put the air about an inch or so higher on the helmet being as it's about 1.5 inches higher than the PowerBronze I have on now that hitting me at about mid face shield. So that's my next project plus putting a BMW type pluglet somewhere near the middle of the bike to plug my electric gear into for the cold riding.
But at present., I'm doing my 14 days offshore in the gulf of Louisiana on a GasOil production Platform.

Willie
07-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Plan is, as soon as the Sargent seat arrives, I do an Iron Butt 1K to break it in. Did the same when I got the Sargent seat for the VStrom in 2006. Card Card as some real harmonics going!!

achesley
07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Wonder what they called doing a 1000 or more miles a day before the IBA come to life? I remember doing some big day miles in the late 60's and never thought of it as an accomplishment, was just getting to where I was going/ ;=)..

Course, my hiney and the rest of the body and mind was a lot younger then.:rider: :giveup:

Willie
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Wonder what they called doing a 1000 or more miles a day before the IBA come to life? I remember doing some big day miles in the late 60's and never thought of it as an accomplishment, was just getting to where I was going/ ;=)..

Course, my hiney and the rest of the body and mind was a lot younger then.:rider: :giveup:

There were organized rides, that I can recall, that started in Southern California (I'm sure there were others in other states) and went through Death Valley and wound back to the starting point. I seems this was known as the California 1000 or something similar. At the time, I rode a 1969 Suzuki T350 (I was 21 at the time) and could not imagine riding it (through the night, on unfamiliar roads) for 1,000 miles!! My weekends were occupied by many lovely females and they didn't hurt my butt!!:trust:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2642626700_fdc13143e9.jpg

MetrickMetal
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I just spoke to a girl at Sargent and she said that the e-mail will be sent out tomorrow afternoon to all those that pre-regestered for the seat and she said that they will start taking orders this Thursday and hope to be able to start shipping out the seats by sometime next week. :rider:

Willie
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
The Richter Scale is begining to pick up the vibrations from my credit card!!!
The prostate is going to be happier soon.........

andouille
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
The prostate is going to be happier soon.........

Anything else you care to share regarding your prostate gland?:eek2: No, how about something concerning your seminal vesicle?:lol2:

Tim

PhilS
07-08-2008, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Willie;443641]The Richter Scale is begining to pick up the vibrations from my credit card!!!QUOTE]

It's going take a hit for a few bucks!!! Get ready for it!

Then again, if the Bandit had a great seat, better motor, better tires, finely tuned front and rear suspension, better instruments, and a host of other things we've done to the bikes to make them better, it would end up being a K1200R Sport!! But, I am having more fun getting to that point with the Bandit spending $5000 in upgrades rather than buying the BMW for $14K. :rider:

funkemaster
07-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Then again, if the Bandit had a great seat, better motor, better tires, finely tuned front and rear suspension, better instruments, and a host of other things we've done to the bikes to make them better, it would end up being a K1200R Sport!! But, I am having more fun getting to that point with the Bandit spending $5000 in upgrades rather than buying the BMW for $14K. :rider:[/QUOTE]

I agree, although when I have had a few chances to ride a BMW It was a good overall experience. But in the end I think most of us have bandits for a reason apart from the dough we shelled out to buy them.:zen:

Willie
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Anything else you care to share regarding your prostate gland?:eek2: No, how about something concerning your seminal vesicle?:lol2:

Tim

At age 60, it's very important to make the prostate comfortable....
Other than that, TMI......

Willie
07-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Then again, if the Bandit had a great seat, better motor, better tires, finely tuned front and rear suspension, better instruments, and a host of other things we've done to the bikes to make them better, it would end up being a K1200R Sport!! But, I am having more fun getting to that point with the Bandit spending $5000 in upgrades rather than buying the BMW for $14K. :rider:

I agree, although when I have had a few chances to ride a BMW It was a good overall experience. But in the end I think most of us have bandits for a reason apart from the dough we shelled out to buy them.:zen:[/QUOTE]

I was disappointed with the seat on my '05 R1100S when I got it. The first thing I did was put a Sargent seat on it. I was in heaven!! It's was worth every cent to me!! The seat will make the Bandit one of the best bikes I've owned (next to the VStrom).
Willie

suzukijo
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2642626700_fdc13143e9.jpg

dude, that chick is cute. how she's wear'n is still in fashion. can you recall what you were thinkin?

KenB
07-09-2008, 05:51 AM

I would be interested in seeing a comparison to someone who rode with thier stock Bandit seat and tore thier butt up and got the new 650 seat and has an updated opinion. $200 for a stock seat over the sure-to-be $400 Sargent seat is worth the thought.

Phil
OK, Phil. After spending a week on the new GSX seat, I can provide some feedback on the Suzuki GSX650 stock seat. Understand that these are subjective measures and what is a positive for me (like looks and ride height) might not be for others, but here goes.

Positives:
1. Slightly lower than stock. At 5'9" with a 33" inseam, I can flat foot the bike. I couldn't quite do that with the stock seat. Sitting a bit lower also brings the hands up a bit which is a good thing for me
2. Comfort is much better. I've ridden a bunch of short rides and two rides of 200 miles and greater. The stock seat got teeth after 100 miles. The GSX doesn't get teeth, or at least not for a full tank of gas
3. Perfect fit and finish - it snaps right into place and there is no issue with the top case and hardware
4. Looks - it looks better - the 1-piece design is nice and clean looking
5. Price - great price - $190 shipped from Oneida Suzuki

Negatives:
1. Not adjustable. Not an issue for me, but will be for some
2. Angle - like the stock seat, it has some forward slanting angle. Not as bad as stock, but more than there should be
3. Will not accommodate a seat cowl - if you have the Bandit seat cowl (that replaces the passenger seat), this seat will not work with the cowl

That's it. For $190, I'm very pleased with this seat. It is exponentially better than the Bandit's stock seat. It looks great, sits lower, fits perfectly, and was relatively inexpensive.

Is it as good as the soon-to-be-released Sargent seat? Time will tell. I've had mixed results with Sargent. The one on my ST1300 was great but the Sargent on my 919 was awful. I'll be anxious to read the reviews from the new Sargent owners. I'm preregistered and may pick one up before the preregistration discount expires. I'll keep whichever seat I like better and sell the other. The Sargent is appealing due to the underseat storage and the 2-piece design that gives me the option of adding a seat cowl.

Cheers!

twist
07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
dude, that chick is cute. how she's wear'n is still in fashion. can you recall what you were thinkin?

She's 50+ years old now too... she probably looks a bit 'different' today :lol2: (hey the age thing happened to me too, so I can say it :eek2: ) :rider:

Willie
07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
She's 50+ years old now too... she probably looks a bit 'different' today :lol2: (hey the age thing happened to me too, so I can say it :eek2: ) :rider:

Couldn't have said it better myself......

A1A
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Age is just another three letter word, if you don't mind, it really don't matter.

One thing is certain none of us are getting any younger.

PhilS
07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Sargent website says it's available now, but the pricing page is not functioning.

Has anyone seen a pre-registration email yet for the discount?

PhilS
07-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Sargent website says it's available now, but the pricing page is not functioning.

Spoke too soon.........email just came out. $419.95 normal, $356.96 pre-reg price. I will order on Thursday. This is a black welt, black trim, regualr height seat. There is a low seat as well.

Willie
07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Credit Card is going to have all it's bumps rubbed off!! Butt is going to be much happier!!!!

andouille
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Here is today's email in it's entirety.

Tim

NOW AVAILABLE FROM SARGENT CYCLE PRODUCTS!
SUZUKI 2007+ BANDIT 1250 and 2008+ GSX650F RELEASE!
Because you expressed an interest in the Suzuki Bandit 1250 and GSX650F World Sport Performance Seat during the development and production phases, we are pleased to extend this special introductory offer exclusively to you:
SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE **
Save 15%!
Standard Retail for CarbonFX, Black Upholstery starts at $419.95
With Discount - $356.96 - Save nearly $63.00!

This World Sport Performance Seat for the Bandit 1250 and GSX650F incorporates:

Super Cell Atomic Foam and enhanced shape for incredible long distance comfort.

A precision-molded, lightweight PolyTec seat pan, ready to mount, right out of the box.

A handy, under-the-seat storage compartment built right in.

CarbonFX seating insert with black welt and trim. (Metallic Silver Welt available for an additional charge).

Optional color-coordinated accent welt available (re-stocking fees apply).

Available Front and Rear Seat Heat Upgrade with electronic Chilli Controller.

The World Sport Performance Seat is shown with CarbonFX seating inserts and Metallic Silver Welt. Features include an under-the-seat storage compartment. Optional Passenger Backrest available and sold separately.

That's Not All.

The World Sport Performance Seat includes the mounting hardware for the Passenger Backrest. So, the optional Passenger Backrest may be added at any time without any additional modifications.

This exclusive offer is made to you at no obligation to purchase. But, don't delay; this offer is good for a limited time only***. And, as always, you have our 30-day money-back guarantee (re-stocking fees apply to non-standard and heated configurations).

So, give us a call at 1-800-749-7328 (904-354-4531), and tell us about your Bandit or GSX650F. Thank you for your patience and loyal support.

Sincerely,
Promotion Code:
SUZBAN0708

Mark Todd
President

P.S. These savings are only available for folks like you who signed up in advance!
Part Number and Special Pre-Registration Pricing Information:
Seat Only - REGULAR Height - NO HEAT:
WS-579-19 - CarbonFX, Black Welt, Black Trim
WS-579-18 - CarbonFX, Metallic Silver Welt, Black Trim
WS-579-NS* - Non-Standard Upholstery Configurations Special Pre-Registration Pricing:
$356.96
$373.96
$373.96*
*Restocking fees apply
Seat Only - LOW Height - NO HEAT:
WS-569-19 - CarbonFX, Black Welt, Black Trim
WS-569-18 - CarbonFX, Metallic Silver Welt, Black Trim
WS-569-NS* - Non-Standard Upholstery Configurations Special Pre-Registration Pricing:
$356.95
$373.95
$373.95*
*Restocking fees apply
Front seat only HEAT UPGRADE
COMPLETE HEAT with electronic CHILLI CONTROLLER Special Pre-Registration Pricing:
Add $127.50*
*Restocking fees apply
Front and Rear seat HEAT UPGRADE
COMPLETE HEAT with electronic CHILLI CONTROLLER
Special Pre-Registration Pricing:
Add $255.00*
*Restocking fees apply
Passenger Backrest:
BR-2103-19 - CarbonFX with Black welt
BR-2103-18 - CarbonFX with Metallic Silver Welt. Special Pre-Registration Pricing:
$169.15
$169.15

THIS PRE-REGISTRATION PRICING INCLUDES THE 15% DISCOUNT!
*Restocking fees apply.
** Price does not include heat upgrade, tax, shipping, or special upgrades - call for pricing.
*** Offer good until the end of August 2008 - or while supplies last.
You are invited to visit our website at www.SargentCycle.com for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are subscribed as kajns@cox.net
Click here or reply to this email with 'unsubscribe' in the subject to unsubscribe from this list or if you feel you have received this message in error.
This message was sent from Sargent 44 East 1st Street Jacksonville FL 32206.
Click here to report email abuse

andouille
07-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Credit Card is going to have all it's bumps rubbed off!! Butt is going to be much happier!!!!

Definition of a really bored person-Someone with an expired credit card in mint condition!:clap:

Tim

PhilS
07-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Tell ya what, for $357 plus $20 shipping plus you can ride it for 30 days and send it back if it's not what you want, seems like a good deal to me. Worst case, I'm out $40 for to and from shipping and use of it for a month. Although, I trust it will be fine seat. I'll be riding mine to and from Indy for the MotoGP race in Mid-September. That will be the good long ride to see if this works out.

For those of you who have had Sargents before, is that underseat storage useful for anything?

KenB
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
For those of you who have had Sargents before, is that underseat storage useful for anything?
It's a nice waterproof tube. I used it for storing extra bulbs, fuses, insurance/registration cards, Leatherman, matches, and a Mag-Lite.

bones
07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I may pull the trigger on this today. Just unsure what I am doing with this d@mn bike with it's fuel issues and if I will keep it long enough to justify a $400 seat when I am not even riding it anymore. It will likely collect dust until late August when I go on my trip. :giveup:

Roy
07-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Weird how I was on the Pre-registration and did not get a email from them.:zen:

Oh well my Suzuki gel seat is working just fine, 2 long 1700 milers on it and no complaints.

Willie
07-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Weird how I was on the Pre-registration and did not get a email from them.:zen:

I had the same problem. I called sales a week or so ago. Couldn't find my name on pre-registration list. They had my name "William" (and my last name is mis-spelled on purpose) cause that's how it shows up on my email.
Any help Roy??

PhilS
07-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Called Scott in sales at Sargent today. Seat is ordered. Standard shipping is 5 to 6 weeks. He is hoping for sooner, like 4 weeks, but did not commit to a date. I will get order confirmation soon, and card will be charged when it ships. 30 day policy starts the day I recieve it. I ordered standard black on black regular height.

So................................now I wait again.:zen:

MetrickMetal
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Called Scott in sales at Sargent today. Seat is ordered. Standard shipping is 5 to 6 weeks. He is hoping for sooner, like 4 weeks, but did not commit to a date. I will get order confirmation soon, and card will be charged when it ships. 30 day policy starts the day I recieve it. I ordered standard black on black regular height.

I just called Scott and ordered my seat. They are only charging me $20 for shipping, and I can deal with spending that much to ship the seat back if I find I don't like it.

This purchase used up the rest of my stimulus check and it all went to buying american made products. :rider:

bones
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Curious on the fit and if anyone gets the low I want to know if it pushed towards the tank like stock.

Brass
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm with Roy on this one. I'll be sticking to my Suzuki gel seat. Although I do plan on tweaking it a little. Possibly as soon as this weekend.
Plans are to change out the gel pad for less dense "spencer" type gel, trim down the foam base to lower the seat height and reshape the front sligthly by shaving down the edges that currently dig into my thighs. I'll also be adding a seat heater kit while the cover is off.

Cost of mods (added to the cost of the seat $263)
Stainless steel 1/4" staples : ~$1.00 (have a box left over from my moto-X days)
seat heater kit: $35 from eBay
spencer type gel: $9.99 pulled from an automotive seat pad
lower seat height and reshape edges: a rainy day

Roy
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm with Roy on this one. I'll be sticking to my Suzuki gel seat. Although I do plan on tweaking it a little. Possibly as soon as this weekend.
Plans are to change out the gel pad for less dense "spencer" type gel, trim down the foam base to lower the seat height and reshape the front sligthly by shaving down the edges that currently dig into my thighs. I'll also be adding a seat heater kit while the cover is off.

Cost of mods (added to the cost of the seat $263)
Stainless steel 1/4" staples : ~$1.00 (have a box left over from my moto-X days)
seat heater kit: $35 from eBay
spencer type gel: $9.99 pulled from an automotive seat pad
lower seat height and reshape edges: a rainy day

I would give the seat some time before making mods to it mine loosened up quite a bit in the two long trips and commuting everyday on it. I am happy with it so far and if I had a complaint it would be in the afternoon even covered it can retain some heat for the commute home. Other than that its a keeper.

Brass
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I've thought of that and have been holding off. The height is an issue that has to be dealt with. I have a short inseam and narrow ***, so the extra width of the new seat really adds to the problem that was always there, short legs. The narrow *** is the reason the edge of the seat digs in. I'm not blaming the seat, it's my shape that is the problem. Has been the case on just about every street bike I've had.
The heater kit is to keep the wife warm, she would freeze even sitting on a hot plate. Adding it shouldn't affect the seat.
As for the lower density gel, I'll refer back to my narrow ***. Maybe if I had more width of my own, the load would be better spread out. As it is though I have 2 very distinct pressure points. Swapping out the gel pad should be reversible also.

MtnTrax
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM

I was bummed about the long wait but heard some GOOD news when I called in my order today. Guy said that the seat might be shipping within 2 weeks. He said they had hired extra help and doing some training so they could set up a second production line to crank up output. Lets hope it speeds things along!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
<Your order is being processed. Bandit World Sport Performance Seat orders are on a 2 week fulfillment time. Thank you! Rudi >

Hope I'm happy with the low version. Guess I can always lower the pegs if the aches switch from my rear to my knees.

DavesIndian
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
hello, Im not a sportbike rider but these guys do great work , you migh ask them if they will do a sportbike seat. and they are pretty resonably priced too.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

marylynn
08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Have you looked into a lowering kit with your short inseam? I was thinking about this. I suspect that the center stand would not work though?
I've thought of that and have been holding off. The height is an issue that has to be dealt with. I have a short inseam and narrow, so the extra width of the new seat really adds to the problem that was always there, short legs. The narrow is the reason the edge of the seat digs in. I'm not blaming the seat, it's my shape that is the problem. Has been the case on just about every street bike I've had.
The heater kit is to keep the wife warm, she would freeze even sitting on a hot plate. Adding it shouldn't affect the seat.
As for the lower density gel, I'll refer back to my narrow. Maybe if I had more width of my own, the load would be better spread out. As it is though I have 2 very distinct pressure points. Swapping out the gel pad should be reversible also.

Frito Bandito
08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Rider magazine loved the Suzuki Gel Seat. It's made by Saddlemen. www.saddlemen.com They said it's the first mod you should make.

MetrickMetal
08-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Rider magazine loved the Suzuki Gel Seat. It's made by Saddlemen. www.saddlemen.com They said it's the first mod you should make.

Having rode on both, all I can say is if you like the stock seat, you'll really love the Suzuki gel seat even more. :rofl:

KenB
08-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Having rode on both, all I can say is if you like the stock seat, you'll really love the Suzuki gel seat even more. :rofl:
Well, Roy and a handful of other members here swear by it. I guess if it passes Roy's muster after 15,000 miles it must be OK. :-P

LowRyter
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
You might try a local upholstery shop. Bike seats aren't particularly difficult. A local shop put a new cover and inserted a gel pad in my '98 Bandit. Works fine, comfy, custom for me backside. Have much better vinyl too.

KenB
08-31-2008, 10:31 AM
You might try a local upholstery shop. Bike seats aren't particularly difficult. A local shop put a new cover and inserted a gel pad in my '98 Bandit. Works fine, comfy, custom for me backside. Have much better vinyl too.
Any idea what one would expect to pay to have a gel pad inserted and covered by a local upholstery shop?

LowRyter
08-31-2008, 11:25 AM
$100 - $150....depends on labor & materials. The gel piece is about $50. Also, the seat will weight double with the insert.

Check with the locals and get an estimate. In my case the seat cover was starting to split and then had it done. I asked him to redo it after the seat was damaged a 2nd time. I had him put on better vinyl and to insulate the get insert. NOTE: The get insert gets hot in the sun & retains heat, make sure they put some foam over it.

randian
08-31-2008, 02:43 PM
What would be the best seat for those of us with short legs? Comfort is still important, but a more secure perch on the ground is #1. I'd prefer not to do suspension mods because my experience is that they screw up a bike's handling.

MetrickMetal
09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, Roy and a handful of other members here swear by it. I guess if it passes Roy's muster after 15,000 miles it must be OK. :-P

They swear by it or at it. :-P

KenB
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
They swear by it or at it. :-P
True!

I have the GSX seat and it's much better than the stock Bandit seat. But after the review in Rider and the testimonials from Roy and a few others, I figured I'd give it a try. And since the Corbin and Holeshot/Corbin seats are off limits to me, I don't have many alternatives. I'll probably send the stock seat down to Spencer this Winter and let him work his magic on it.

GregH
09-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Spencer is a bargain ($75) and he's fast. He turned my seat around in 2 days. The seat was off of the bike less than 1 week including shipping time.

achesley
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
What would be the best seat for those of us with short legs? Comfort is still important, but a more secure perch on the ground is #1. I'd prefer not to do suspension mods because my experience is that they screw up a bike's handling.

My 28.5" inseam legs are very happy with my Corbin seat. Uhh , my hine end is also. ;-)...

randian
09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
My 28.5" inseam legs are very happy with my Corbin seat. Uhh , my hine end is also. ;-)...
Sounds great. My 28" inseam legs thank you.

millercreek
10-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have lurked around for awhile, and have got some great info on here. I traded my DR-Z400 about a month ago for a Bandit, and couldn't be happier. Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know my great experience with Corbin. I ordered the standard seat from them last week and found out a couple of days later that they were back ordered for 3 weeks or more. I called Corbin in Cali and talked to Rosa Sanchez and let her know that I had a weekend trip planned for October 11th and 12th. She said she would go out to the shop and see what she could do. The next morning, I got a call from Rosa and she said they got the seat done the night before and shipped it out that morning. Needless to say, this somewhat contradicts some of the stories I have heard about Corbin. I just got my seat in today, and I must say I was skeptical before the purchase, but this seat is worth the money, for me anyway. It is wider and more supportive, and it feels like you're sitting "in" the bike and not "on top of" the bike. It really does feel like it handles better. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe not, but that was one of my first impressions. The seat is firmer than stock, but I rode for about 60 miles earlier and my butt did not hurt or feel fatigued in any way. If it breaks in with more miles, that will just be icing on the cake. Anyway, just e-mailed Rosa at Corbin and let her know how happy I am with the seat and the service. I can't speak for other seat manufacturers, but I have to say the next time I need a seat, Corbin will get the call first. Oh by the way a little about myself: I live in west Texas, between Abilene and Wichita Falls, and have been riding about 3 years. Had a Suzuki DR-650, and then a DR-Z400, but got tired of riding dirt roads and not being able to put on any highway miles. I have put about 700 miles on the Bandit so far, and it just gets better every time. Will do some more mods in the future, but for right now, and this is the first time I've ever said this, I like the bike in stock form. Later guys and gals.

Jeremy

Indy Bandit
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Has anyone gotten the new Holeshot Corbin? I'm torn between many of these options and am having a hard time deciding which seat to buy.

It looks like the Sargeant still has a slight forward slope which I want to avoid. The Suzuki Gel Seat looks that way also. I like the upkick of the front of the HS Corbin, but wonder if anyone has had any time with it to see how it works for them.

PhilS
01-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Has anyone gotten the new Holeshot Corbin? I'm torn between many of these options and am having a hard time deciding which seat to buy.

It looks like the Sargeant still has a slight forward slope which I want to avoid. The Suzuki Gel Seat looks that way also. I like the upkick of the front of the HS Corbin, but wonder if anyone has had any time with it to see how it works for them.

Indy:

The Sargent breaks in nicely. I do not notice any forward sloping at all and it seems most comformtable on longer trips. As a matter of fact, I forgot about the forward sloping issue until you mentioned in in this post. I am very happy with the seat.

PM me and we can meet half way and you can take a peek at it.

Phil

davidy61
01-06-2009, 05:19 AM

I have the HS Corbin, love it as i think most of us that have one do. It's a fraction lower so i can touch the ground more comfortably and the slight "upkick" really helps keep you in the right position on the seat.

Can't help you see it unless your down in South Australia though, sorry.

LowRyter
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Has anyone gotten the new Holeshot Corbin?

Beware of getting a seat with too much recline and not enough forward slope. You'll be reaching even further for the bars and you won't have as much leverage on the pegs.

When I sat on the Bandits with Corbin seat, I've always felt like the bike needed pull-back bars to match the seat. You might ultimately be more comfy with the Corbin seat, but you might also need to get pull-back bars (and probably new brake & clutch lines).

davidy61
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Beware of getting a seat with too much recline and not enough forward slope. You'll be reaching even further for the bars and you won't have as much leverage on the pegs.

When I sat on the Bandits with Corbin seat, I've always felt like the bike needed pull-back bars to match the seat. You might ultimately be more comfy with the Corbin seat, but you might also need to get pull-back bars (and probably new brake & clutch lines).

True, I have Holeshot Corbin Seat and also added SW Motech Bars to make my ride positition perfect for me. No problems with the pegs though. No more sliding into the tank and crushing delicate items on braking anymore though :-D

bandit1911
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I got my HS corbin 2 weeks ago love it! Did not get much more foot on the ground,fat legs maybe? Bar reach has increased some, but i had the bar forward and just pulled it back some. Dale knows seats!!!:clap:

mshack33
01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I got the Holeshot Corbin a few weeks ago also and I love it. Its a lot more comfortable than the stock seat and looks good as well. I think I would like to bring the bars back slightly now though.

peterc
05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Is anyone using an Airhawk seat pad on their 1250? If so what size are you using? None of the shapes seems an obvious fit, and the recommended size on the manufacturers website doesnt make sense to me.
Cheers.

Down Under
05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Is anyone using an Airhawk seat pad on their 1250? If so what size are you using? None of the shapes seems an obvious fit, and the recommended size on the manufacturers website doesnt make sense to me.
Cheers.

Like everyone else I went through the pain of breaking in the stock seat on my B1250. I've done 25000 k's on it now and I can ride 600 k days without too much discomfort.

However, my wife is showing an interest in touring and she's having dramas with the comfort level of the pillion seat which is causing tailbone pain. Also, the forward slope on the pillion seat is causing her to slide forward. We tried the Airhawk seat cushion and found it pretty much useless.

I've now sent the seat to an upholsterer who specializes in custom motorcycle seat rebuilds. It has worked out cheaper than purchasing an aftermarket seat. I can't wait to get it back.......hopefully I've made the right decision. :ponder:

whitesands
05-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Like everyone else I went through the pain of breaking in the stock seat on my B1250. I've done 25000 k's on it now and I can ride 600 k days without too much discomfort.

However, my wife is showing an interest in touring and she's having dramas with the comfort level of the pillion seat which is causing tailbone pain. Also, the forward slope on the pillion seat is causing her to slide forward. We tried the Airhawk seat cushion and found it pretty much useless.

I've now sent the seat to an upholsterer who specializes in custom motorcycle seat rebuilds. It has worked out cheaper than purchasing an aftermarket seat. I can't wait to get it back.......hopefully I've made the right decision. :ponder:

Let us know how it works for you..My wife doesn't like the passenger seat either as it slides her forward...

Indy Bandit
05-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I've read elsewhere where someone had mentioned just raising the front portion of the stock seat to eliminate the slope. For those who have done it, was it accomplished just moving the front bracket into the high position while leaving the rubber bumpers in low?

Down Under
05-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Let us know how it works for you..My wife doesn't like the passenger seat either as it slides her forward...

No worries mate will let you know how it goes. I spoke to the upholsterer this morning and it looks like I wont be getting the seat back until early next week, so will post around then.

MetrickMetal
05-17-2009, 10:18 PM
My Sargent seat gets better with every mile. :rider:

thunderbolt
05-17-2009, 10:34 PM
My Sargent seat gets better with every mile. :rider:

+1, my wife loves the Sargent as well. The passenger section of the Sargent is more sculpted and wider and does not slide her forward under braking.

A1A
05-18-2009, 07:00 AM
I've read elsewhere where someone had mentioned just raising the front portion of the stock seat to eliminate the slope. For those who have done it, was it accomplished just moving the front bracket into the high position while leaving the rubber bumpers in low?

Yes!

MetrickMetal
05-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Thats exactly what I did before I bought my Sargent seat and it got rid of the annoying forward slop for me. The height of the Sargent low seat to me sits pretty much just the same as the stock seat is with just the front raised up. :rider:

Indy Bandit
05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
A1A & El Bandito,

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try. I've heard mostly good things about the Sargent seat and that'll be my next option.

A1A
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
A1A & El Bandito,

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try. I've heard mostly good things about the Sargent seat and that'll be my next option.

I've got the regular Sargents seat for my bike, as well. I love the comfort and higher seating position during the hot months of the year.
When its cold and I must go for a ride in the winter. I'll change to the discussed modified stock seat. Shorter rides in the winter and a little better wind protection from the cold air.

labandit
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
has anyone tried BAGSTER, I still can not figure out how much they cost, probably expensive, but they look awesome and you can customize the colors.

Indy Bandit
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Thought I'd ask for some update reports on the various seat options everyone has posted here given more time with them: 650 seat, Suzuki Gel, Corbin HS, and Sargent. BTW has anyone tried the low version of the Sargent? The details I'm looking for are comfort and lack of stockers forward sliding problem. How happy are you with your choices at this point?

Willie
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Still can't say anything bad about the Sargent seat. No slide forward and much more comfortable. Just as with the WeeStrom, best money I've spent!!

MtnTrax
06-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Low Sargent is really about the same as stock seat which was fine for me. And yes, it's the best spent coin I've dropped on the Bandit. True comfort compared to the stock hard foam! Even after reshaping and padding it my rear was not very happy with it. Maybe it's an illusion but pics of the low Corbin appear to me that it's a lower height seat than Sargents?

Fittysom'n
06-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe the lower Corbin (Holeshot sells one) is indeed lower than the Sargent; Sargent advertises their "Low" as being of the same height as the factory saddle.

Though "lower", an off-the-shelf Corbin wouldn't work for the likes of me (24" inseam). It's scooped out more toward the back of the pilot's seating position, which would actually make it MORE difficult for my legs to fall toward the tarmac.

On the other hand, I have the Corbin factory a couple hours away and can make an appointment to have a custom seat made for me.... as I have a couple times already for my Sportster and BMW.

achesley
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
I have about 13,500 miles on my Corbin. No problems. Usually run about 100 to 140 miles between stops. Day mileage depends on who, where and what.