• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tell me about Suzuki's ABS

Reaction score
Hi all first post, although I've been a lurker for months. Came over from Bandit Alley.

Seriously considering an 08 Bandit 1250S to replace my 04 FZ1 and 00 750 Nighthawk. I'm an old guy that's been riding along time and like torquey I-4's that will do it all. The new Bandit sounds like it's the ticket

I thought I wanted an ABS model, but I am hearing horror stories on another forum about ABS equipped bikes. Taking longer to stop than non ABS bikes, touchy brakes, lock up and activate easily, maintenance hassles, expensive to maintain

Who's got an ABS Bandit and what is your first hand experience? Worth buying the ABS model? If you were to buy another would it be another ABS model?

Hi all first post, although I've been a lurker for months. Came over from Bandit Alley.

Seriously considering an 08 Bandit 1250S to replace my 04 FZ1 and 00 750 Nighthawk. I'm an old guy that's been riding along time and like torquey I-4's that will do it all. The new Bandit sounds like it's the ticket

I thought I wanted an ABS model, but I am hearing horror stories on another forum about ABS equipped bikes. Taking longer to stop than non ABS bikes, touchy brakes, lock up and activate easily, maintenance hassles, expensive to maintain

Who's got an ABS Bandit and what is your first hand experience? Worth buying the ABS model? If you were to buy another would it be another ABS model?

Well first off, welcome!

I've got an ABS and I heard all the same wive's tales before I bought too. The only times I've felt the ABS even begin to kick in is when I want it to. I've done a number of 'panic' stops just to see how it acts... and it acts just like you'd want it to.

You get a bit of a pulse in the lever and pedal and nothing else as far as distractions. No noises, no weird pulsing is felt by the wheels actually locking/unlocking. ABS systems really don't work like that so much anyway, it's more like the ABS sensors playing with that friction threshold between the two. It's a smooth process for the most part.

It's not intrusive in any way, not in daily riding anyway. If you're planning on making it a track-day star, it might be annoying since you're constantly pushing the limits. Just like on a car... the only time I wouldn't want ABS on a car or bike is if it were a track only vehicle. I know that personally, I would stop much shorter with ABS on a wet surface or dry surface b/c I wouldn't be worried about the gravel/oil patch/etc that sneaks up on you...

I'm sure you'll get more feedback, good luck.

trey

Thanks Trey, (for the info and the Welcome) I figured there were nothing to the horror stories or every manufacturer wouldn't be offering them on their top of the line bikes. I guess new things scare the ones that don't understand them.

Thanks Trey, (for the info and the Welcome) I figured there were nothing to the horror stories or every manufacturer wouldn't be offering them on their top of the line bikes. I guess new things scare the ones that don't understand them.

I know there are lots of opinions, good and bad... I have my opinion on ABS. There are drawbacks.. a real pro can usually modulate the brakes better and stop shorter under a given circumstance, but for a commuter/tourer/street bike... call me a sucker, but I'll take the technology designed to save my skin.

I know there are some BMW and Honda nerds who have had ABS on their bikes for a few years now, and I'm pretty sure most who have had a first hand experience with them have little negative to say. Even less expensive bikes like the SV650 come with ABS as an option now, it's not just an option for your Dad's Goldwing anymore... you're hard pressed to find a car that doesn't have it standard.... ABS isn't evil. Fuel Injection is still fighting to gain credibility in motorcycles.... could you imagine buying a car today without it?

As far as maintenance, I don't think it's any more complicated than a regular brake system. I've had multiple cars with ABS that I've done nothing different to as far as bleeding brakes and changing pads goes. Some of the Hondas have a bit of a procedure due to the linked brakes, and I think the BMW systems have multiple bleed points (at least the older systems), but I don't think the Suzuki system is anything out of the ordinary.. someone correct me if I'm wrong.... I haven't actually bled the brakes on the Bandit yet.

Anywho, I think you're on the right track. I seriously considered both the FZ1 and Nighthawk both as replacements for my SV before deciding on the Bandit. If you can find one to throw a leg over and take for a spin up there in the tundra of OH, you'll be sold. :rider:

trey

The FZ1 is a truly wonderful motorcycle, light weight, flickable, awesome brakes but it fit my son better than it fit me. Compared to other motorcycles I have owned the transmission was a bit "notchy" feeling and the seat sloped down into the tank too much, forcing ones nads into the back of the tank, but a lot of guys fixed their own seat by cutting padding out to make it flatter or buying aftermarket. The FZ has a real power hit from 8,000 up where it is just a beast but I never rode mine above 6000 rpms.

The Nighthawk is a great all around motorcycle that just needs soome updating to a liter bike and 30 more horsepower. If Honda made a 100 HP Nighthawk, I probably wouldn't be looking at the Bandit

Then again if Suzuki has seen fit to put a shaft drive on the Bandit, one would already be sitting in my garage.

Hardly any dealers in my area got any Bandits this year citing poor sales of previous Bandit 1200's, and none of the ones that did got an ABS equipped model. I've yet to even see one in person.

Can't comment on the 'Zuk directly, but I've been riding an ABS equipped FJR for the last ~1.5 years. In normal street riding, and even when getting a bit aggressive, you never know it's there. The brakes just work, like any other big, multiple piston disk brakes. Where ABS makes all the difference is when traction isn't what you expect it to be. Such as approaching a light that turns at the last moment. You squeeze the brakes, but you're in that oily zone and the pavement is damp. A few pulses from the ABS keep the front tire rolling, and you stop without drama. I've had this scenario happen once or twice. The only other time I've been into the front ABS is during the ERC.
Rear ABS is equally useful because it prevents accidental lockup of the rear wheel - the cause of highsides. I've had the rear ABS activate a few times on the street due to my ham-fisted (footed?) braking techniques.

As for maintenance, nothing unique. Bleed the brakes as normal. The dealer may have the ability to plug into the ABS unit and cycle it, but this isn't strictly necessary. Over time the old brake fluid in the ABS unit will mix with and be dispersed through the fresh brake fluid. It's the same as not being able to drain the last pint of oil from the engine; doesn't cause any harm over the long run.

My $.03 (long post...)

- JimY

I recently test rode a new FJR. I'm pretty sure it had ABS but you know what? I didn't think about that and I didn't notice anything different. I did notice the throttle was stiff..HOLY COW!

I recently test rode a new FJR. I'm pretty sure it had ABS but you know what? I didn't think about that and I didn't notice anything different. I did notice the throttle was stiff..HOLY COW!

Yeah, the lawyers definately had their say on that one, didn't they? Fortunately it's just a few minutes work to take some tension off one of the three (!) return springs, and then it's just right.

- JimY

My understanding is they fixed the throttle on the 08's. Will be intersting to see what they did.

Unfortunately I wasn't happy with the FJR overall. Wonderful bike but I'm small and it seemed ponderous to me.

Man the bike choices I would have if only I were 6" taller ha ha

I have a 07 1250 Bandit with ABS and I find the ABS works fine. I don't think its as smooth as a BMW but it does the job. I have tried a number of panic stops and if its dry pavement I've never had the front kick in but the rear has. I really pushed it and once I almost launched myself but the front still never kicked in. Tried it on some gravel and both front and back kicked in and I was quite impressed with the directional stability/steer ability. Tried it on wet roads but not at any real speed and both front and back kicked in and again, just went straight. Its a funny feeling when its working as the bike sort of feels like its lurching a bit and for the first few tests on gravel it spooked me but the bike remained under control. Now that I've fooled with it a bit there are no more surprises and I'm quite confident if someone was in a panic situation and just applied full brake front and rear that you'd remain under control. I find that in my normal day to day riding the ABS never kicks in and that includes some very hard braking so if you think that it will somehow take away from your normal riding fun, forget it. I purchased the ABS for two reasons, first was that I live in a rain forest and some of the worlds worst drivers call Vancouver home so one day it just might save my butt and second I personally believe that within a few years all street bikes will come with ABS as standard so when the day comes that I want to sell I think I'll get more than my money back. Seems to me to be cheap insurance for that one day you might need it..Cheers

Back