• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lost Trail Riders

skinny

Reaction score
Here is the trip report from our aborted Big Bend/Cedar Springs ride....Stromboy has already posted a great intro about our change of plans...

Sunrise over the Chisos
1.jpg

Gearing up Friday morning
2.jpg

The plan was to pick up Phil and then head down Maverick to the River Road,
cross the park to the Ore Road, and then make our way to Cedar Springs Ranch, where Randy had invited us for supper Friday PM....
First problem...Phil's battery was dead, so he told us to take off and he would meet us at Rio Grand village... so, off we went...
We got about 25 miles from the pavement on the east end of the River Road, when John took an ugly spill...aside from knocking the breath out of him, he was in a lot of pain, and didn't think he could ride out...so Steve and I took off for Rio Grand Village, since Phil was supposed to meet us there, we figured he could help with an official EMS request... When we got to RGV, the parking lot was full of fire trucks and EMS personel...They were having a training day, so we asked if they could bring John out... A call was made to park headquarters and they dispatched a truck down Glen Springs road...now we had to figure out how to get John's motorcycle out, so Steve caught a ride with another park ranger...left his XR at the top of Glenn Springs road, while I rode all the way across the park to the motel, got my truck and drove back to Glenn Springs road to wait on them to return...this took about 2 hrs, so just after I arrived at the turn-off, Steve and the park Ranger pulled up, but without John's motorcycle??? ***...seems that John had recuperated by the time they got down to him, and he rode back to the motel....I had already called Randy at Cedar Springs before I knew all this and told him we were going to cancel dinner, since we assumed John was headed for Alpine for x-rays... we couldn't get back in touch with Randy to re-invite ourselves for dinner, so while John limped into the motel to go to bed, we wandered off to the Starlight for supper...

Saturday morning we head for Candelaria, to do some "sploring"

We talked about riding across the foot bridge to San Antonio,and coming out at Ojinaga, but we decided to go look for another shallow crossing up river
Lalo from San Antonio was among the group at the river...He recognized us from the last trip and asked if we were coming to San Antonio...we said we were, but never did find a crosssing, so we headed for the Lost Trail...
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

We took a side road just after the crossing at Capote Creek to this cable car
crossing the river...if the river was a little lower, you could cross here...
8.jpg

9.jpg

Gary crashed near the top of the big hill, where it's covered in baseball sized loose rocks...he got tangled up on the way down, and wound up face down with his legs pinned...the rest of us were already at the bottom and couldn't see him well enough to realize that he was trapped... we finally walked back up the hill to find him in a world of hurt, un-able to do anything to extract himself... after we go the KTM off, he checked all his parts and decided he was none the worse for wear...onward we went, up the Lost Trail... about 30 minutes later a really big cow blasted out of the brush and took Steve's front wheel out...an XR at 20 MPH doesn't move a 2000 lb cow at all...!
10.jpg

11.jpg

We headed east at the pavement to Marfa, since it was getting too late to go to Van Horn...we grabbed a burger at Marfa, and headed south to Hwy 169, and down Casa Piedra road to Redford...by now the sun was setting and we all went sun-blind trying to ride directly into the very, very, really bright sun...throw some dust in there for added misery and we were all glad to see the pavement at Hwy 170...it was getting dark by now, so we ran a fast pace back to the motel, arriving at the turn-off to Gary's place in complete darkness....

this is from Rocketman's GPS
Saturday December 8th 2007

Study Butte to Marfa and back.

Total miles ridden................. 356
Maximum speed attained........ 90.3 MPH
Speed moving average........... 47.0 MPH
Speed overall average............ 33.6 MPH
Trip time moving................... 7hrs 34min
Trip time stopped................. 3hrs 01min
Total trip time......................10hrs 36min

Sunday morning trying to get 4 motorcycles on the trailer, since Ian had bought Gary's KTM...
12.jpg

We met BeemerChef at the Holland Hotel for breakfast...
13.jpg

Congratulations to Baja Rat for becoming our latest official LTR member! time to plan the next hair-raising, cow tipping, really fun ride...

Thanks Skinny....

Now here's the disclaimer......

We do not condone crossing into Mexico anywhere other than an official port of entry.
We have never done it. We have talked about it many times but common sense has always prevailed, to date that is......

Many of the actions described in Skinny's ride report are done by totally incompetent goofballs without a lick of real sense between them.

Do not try this stuff at home.....

So how is John? And I assume Steve is fine since he is posting here... Rough trip :doh:

So how is John? And I assume Steve is fine since he is posting here... Rough trip :doh:

Scott, after crushing my left mirror with my thigh I escaped with only a few bruises. We rode almost 300 miles that day after my meeting with the cow.

I'll let John answer for himself, I haven't spoken to him in a few days.

All in all it was a fun weekend. Some things didn't go according to plan but that's what happens when you make plans and then head out into the wilds on dirt bikes. Lots of things often get in the way of what you planned.

Stromboy will enjoy drinking all the Martinis he had planned for us. We'll get back to Cedar Springs Ranch another time and "socialize".

One correction to my Disclaimer above.....

Pre 9/11 we did cross into Mexico in lots of questionable places....Those days are long gone, such a shame.

Wow! After that kind of riding, East Texas river bottoms may be a bit boring. Baseball-sized loose rocks:eek2: What kind of tires can help prepare you for that?

What's on the warning sign posted up by the footbridge?

Wow! After that kind of riding, East Texas river bottoms may be a bit boring. Baseball-sized loose rocks:eek2: What kind of tires can help prepare you for that?

What's on the warning sign posted up by the footbridge?

there isn't a tire for that kind of stuff...you just try to keep the rubber side down and hope for the best...the sign at the foot bridge is a federal warning about entering the U. S. at that point, and the penalties for getting caught...the other end of the bridge is in Mexico...

Very nice write up, and great pics!:clap: I can't wait to get over into that area on the WR.

Back