PDA

View Full Version : Fairing/cowling buzz Fix

etcthorne
12-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Well, I checked all the fasteners and everything is tight. I get a buzzing from the shield as I accelerate past about 2500 rpm (still in break-in, nothing real wild).

Fixed her this morning by using a little trick I employed previously to quell a vibration in my Toyota Tacoma's dashboard. Bought a really big peice of very soft rubber pipe gasket at Home Depot (about $3 as I remember).

Using a razor blade, you can very skillfully cut the tiniest wedges from this material and carefully jam it into various places between the shield and any surrounding parts. This fix works for other obnoxious vibrations as well from other places. If you take your time and are very gentle, you can insert those little wedges into places in such a manner that it cannot be seen either!

Anyway - fairing/cowling is COMPLETELY quiet now, for the price of about $3 and about 20 minutes of effort. Oh, if you don't have a razor blade handy, add the price of that too.

Happy Holidays.

trainman
12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Should we start to guess what model bike this is, or was this just a general statement for all bikes. My KLR buzzes and the tech said for me to tighten the headlight mounting bolts, it took care of about 75% of the buzz. I guess this is when a "Wedgie" is a good thing.

etcthorne
12-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry - 2007 Bandit 1250S

terrebandit
12-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Should we start to guess what model bike this is, or was this just a general statement for all bikes. My KLR buzzes and the tech said for me to tighten the headlight mounting bolts, it took care of about 75% of the buzz. I guess this is when a "Wedgie" is a good thing.

Since it was posted in the Suzuki Bandit Forum I would assume that were talking about Suzuki Bandits.

My 2nd Generation B-12 buzzzzzzzed like crazy and I use weather strip moulding to fix mine. The fairing on my 1st gen B-12 is a lot less complicated and has never buzzed.

Dave

CycleCat
12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I've fixed windhield/fairing buzzes on numerous bikes by removing the windshield and running a strip of electrical tape along the edge of the fairing where the windshield bolts on and then putting it back on. It deadens the vibration and usually makes everything nice and quiet.

Shotrod
01-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I've fixed windhield/fairing buzzes on numerous bikes by removing the windshield and running a strip of electrical tape along the edge of the fairing where the windshield bolts on and then putting it back on. It deadens the vibration and usually makes everything nice and quiet.

I had the 02 1200, and never completely got rid of the buzz, after the 1st year, the the tape and rubber helped. Later in life though, (about 20K) the headlamp mounts inside the headlamp nacelle actually worked loose. I ended up cutting apart the nacelle, retightening the screws and using silicon seal to reseal the assembly. Made it a lot quieter. Traded it at about 32K for my new 1250.
Shotrod