• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Boots Suggestions?

voyagerrider

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Johnston
My lovely wife, who rides her own bike, is looking for some new riding boots.

First let me give you stats. She is short at 5', and her calves are rather large around, 16" at largest part. When you measure about 9" or so from the floor her calves are 14" around. She is cruiser rider on a Yamaha 1100 Vstar.

What she has now are some Swat boots like lots of LEO's wear. Combination of fabric and leather. Lace up with a zipper on the side for eazy off & on. about 6 to 8" uppers. Pretty good support for the ankle, comfortable in hot weather(fabric lets air flow through), not very comfortable in rain or cold for the same reason, and probably not very good in a crash. I know because I also have some. She also has a pair of Harley lace leather boots. Cover just over the ankle. Heavey, warmer in cold weather, not waterproof at all. But they have thicker soles which helps her some on the bike since she is short.

What she is looking for is some motorcycling specific boots. They need to be a good touring boot that she can walk comfortably in off the bike. They also need to waterproof. Since she rides a cruiser she has no protection from the elements. We have some strap-on lowers that go on her engine guards, but she says they help but water still come around them. The boots uppers can't be very tall because of the calf problem. She does not want fashion boots(ie the Icon Bombshell), she wants functional motorcycle boots. Sizing can be another issue we think she would be in a womens US size 7 or Euro 38 or 39

Any of you lady riders have any suggestions? We went to Moto Liberty yesterday and tried on a bunch. The ones she liked the best was one called a Rev-it Freestyle boot, but they didn't have her size. Link here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/rev-it-freestyle/

Anyone have this boot? Any of you guys have a wife or lady friend that has something she likes or would recommend? We kind of even are thinking of taking a pair of her Justin Roper boots and having some good soles put on them. Then apply liberal amounts of mink oil to waterproof. But I am concerned how much support she would have, and how they would be in the event of a crash?
We are open to suggestions, thanks in advance for your replies.
Marty

Not sure if stores will have her size on-hand because they are mens boots, but I got a lot of miles out of two pairs of Tourmaster Solution boots. I too have a large calf, and these were tall enough to be protective but short enough that they stayed below the calf. No laces, just a side zipper that is covered by a flap to keep it from rubbing, and it also keeps the water out. Easy on and off, and they're waterproof!

Default.jpg
Default.jpg

They are SUPER comfy and a perfect touring boot in my opinion. I bought them on the snug side and as the leather stretched over the course of the year, I just added a pair of arch supports and they snugged back up and became even more comfy to walk in.

They look good with a pair of jeans, too!

Default.jpg

Laces vs. No Laces?

I say go with the laces. Or better yet laces with a zipper on the side, like what Red Wing offers, both with and w/o steel toe.

Mike

Not sure if stores will have her size on-hand because they are mens boots, but I got a lot of miles out of two pairs of Tourmaster Solution boots. I too have a large calf, and these were tall enough to be protective but short enough that they stayed below the calf. No laces, just a side zipper that is covered by a flap to keep it from rubbing, and it also keeps the water out. Easy on and off, and they're waterproof!

Default.jpg
Default.jpg

They are SUPER comfy and a perfect touring boot in my opinion. I bought them on the snug side and as the leather stretched over the course of the year, I just added a pair of arch supports and they snugged back up and became even more comfy to walk in.

They look good with a pair of jeans, too!

Default.jpg

She may have tried those already. She has tried so many I forget, but we will look for them locally so she can try them again.
Thanks,
Marty

Laces vs. No Laces?

I say go with the laces. Or better yet laces with a zipper on the side, like what Red Wing offers, both with and w/o steel toe.

Mike

She is looking at both. I will get her to check the Redwings also.
Thanks,
Marty

Back