• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

tiny bike tank bag advice

Butte

Reaction score
First Name
Rachel
I know there have been reviews of tank bags (yes, I've browsed a bit), but I was looking to narrow my tank bag options because as far as I know, my bike is tiny in comparison to most others that I assume 'universal' tank bags are designed for.

I've been looking at both the Nelson Rigg cl-400 and the cortech mini tank bags. Anyone else have a tank bag or other luggage on their ninja 250? what works size-wise, and what doesn't?

Thanks!

I have the magnetic Cortech Super Mini Tank bag. It allows access to the gas cap. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much it can hold. On trips, I put maps, a water bottle, wallet, phone, music bits, snacks, etc. Of course I also have hard luggage on my bike that allows me carry a lot of stuff beyond the tank bag. All-in-all, I am very satisfied with the small tank bag.

My SO got the Cortech Super Mini when she was on the Ninja 250. Went with the strap-mount rather than the magnetic... I actually ordered it and can't recall why I went with strap. It's a very nice size for the 250, has a sunglass-sized pocket that you can get to while riding, room for quite a bit of stuff. She's on a Z750 now but she likes the Super Mini and still uses it.

I use the Cortech Mini (magnetic) on my big bike, even though it can hold more - I love the front pocket for my wallet (has a little elastic net in it so I don't lose my $$$ if I forget to zip it shut). I like keeping the tank bag small so it can help me avoid overpacking it. Kinda like a purse - the less space you have the more efficient you need to be with it.

Kinda like a purse - the less space you have the more efficient you need to be with it.

hehe... dang I hate purses. Hoorah for pants pockets!

Thanks for the input. It kinda sounds like Cortech's the way to go...

Does the rain cover cover the map pocket or can you still see it?

The rain cover is solid black, but the bag itself is so resistant to water, I don't hardly even stow the cover. The zipper could seep if you are out in the rain long enough, but other than that and the little rubber poke-through for a cord/wire it's not going to get your stuff wet.

I know there have been reviews of tank bags (yes, I've browsed a bit), but I was looking to narrow my tank bag options because as far as I know, my bike is tiny in comparison to most others that I assume 'universal' tank bags are designed for.

I've been looking at both the Nelson Rigg cl-400 and the cortech mini tank bags. Anyone else have a tank bag or other luggage on their ninja 250? what works size-wise, and what doesn't?

Thanks!

I use a tank bag by Bell on my Nighthawk 250. It is available at Wal-Mart.

Mike

Also check out the Joe Rocket "Manta":

559-0000_blk_310x207.jpg

It's small, magnetic, and will hold (stuffed tight):

rainjacket
wallet
smokes
lighter
cell
gps
1 pint Jack Daniels (unopened, of course)

I think I got mine for about 30 bucks.

Look at the Joe Rocket Manta. Have used them with get success.

Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ :rofl:
Also check out the Joe Rocket "Manta":

559-0000_blk_310x207.jpg

It's small, magnetic, and will hold (stuffed tight):

rainjacket
wallet
smokes
lighter
cell
gps
1 pint Jack Daniels (unopened, of course)

I think I got mine for about 30 bucks.

Rachel, I have a small Cortech bag that I couldn't make fit on my 'Strom - it is not magnetic but you might take a look at it.

When are you planning to visit Biwwy again for bike work?

Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ :rofl:

Well said. ;-)

My plastic tank isn't too useful with magnetic bags, but I found a couple small bungees around the steering head and hooked to whatever under the seat, combined with the relatively non-slip surface kept it in place. Or I put it behind me strapped onto the seat.

I got a Cortech Mini Magnetic tank bag in good to very good condition if interested in it. Sold the ZZR so I don't use it anymore.

It will hold a good bit of kit.
PM if interested.

Thanks for the input, everyone :mrgreen:

Rachel, I have a small Cortech bag that I couldn't make fit on my 'Strom - it is not magnetic but you might take a look at it.

When are you planning to visit Biwwy again for bike work?
Hopefully this week sometime. It probably depends more on his scedule. I'm down to an oil change and a little tail-light troubleshooting, and I'm getting excited...:rider:

no magnets, no problem, I'll bungie that sucker down.
I got a Cortech Mini Magnetic tank bag in good to very good condition if interested in it. Sold the ZZR so I don't use it anymore.

It will hold a good bit of kit.
PM if interested.
I'll see if the cortech works out first, then I'll letcha know.

Just don't let Biwwy crimp any wire connectors. :giveup:

Picking you because we like is a great excuse to .......

while she is at it, get her to tug on the

license plate
rusty chain
fuel guage
engine
ammo cans

:giveup:

Rocket Bunny discovered the fault in my heated grip system by lightly tugging on each one. We had to change five spades out. :doh:

Back