PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 1250 Electrical Mods

PhilS
12-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi guys:

I did two things to ye' ol Bandit today that are electrical so I thought a seperate thread for electrical things was in order. In the future in this thread, we could see mods to things like:

* Headlights
* Turn Signals
* Tail Lamps
* Horns
* Battery Chargers
* Outlets for GPS, etc.
* Switches for handlebar mounted ICBM's :eek2:

and so on.

Two things I did.

1) I live in a colder climate from December through February so I added a Smart Charger to the bike. It's a Battery Tender Jr. and I paid $30 for it. The harness simply attaches to the battery and has a quick disconnect that hangs just outside the left side of the seat out of the way. It charges at 14.4volts until the battery reaches full charge then it floats to 13 volts keeping it just above normal full charge and you can leave it there forever and the battery is ready to go when you need it. Letting a battery die is the worst thing you can do to a battery. My riding over the next couple months will be slim so for me this was needed.

2) I changed my headlights (both) to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7 today. They are much whiter, stronger, and cast out left and right better than stock according to the literature. They are both 55W bulbs so power consumption should equal that of the stock lamps. I bought them off Ebay for $26 shipped from North Carolina as finding them in the stores up here was impossible. I have not ridden at night yet to see them nor have I attempted to adjust them seeing as how it's still day as I write this. Anyone else done changes to these?

Phil :rider:

MetrickMetal
12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi guys:

I did two things to ye' ol Bandit today that are electrical so I thought a seperate thread for electrical things was in order. In the future in this thread, we could see mods to things like:

* Headlights
* Turn Signals
* Tail Lamps
* Horns
* Battery Chargers
* Outlets for GPS, etc.
* Switches for handlebar mounted ICBM's :eek2:

and so on.

Two things I did.

1) I live in a colder climate from December through February so I added a Smart Charger to the bike. It's a Battery Tender Jr. and I paid $30 for it. The harness simply attaches to the battery and has a quick disconnect that hangs just outside the left side of the seat out of the way. It charges at 14.4volts until the battery reaches full charge then it floats to 13 volts keeping it just above normal full charge and you can leave it there forever and the battery is ready to go when you need it. Letting a battery die is the worst thing you can do to a battery. My riding over the next couple months will be slim so for me this was needed.

2) I changed my headlights (both) to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7 today. They are much whiter, stronger, and cast out left and right better than stock according to the literature. They are both 55W bulbs so power consumption should equal that of the stock lamps. I bought them off Ebay for $26 shipped from North Carolina as finding them in the stores up here was impossible. I have not ridden at night yet to see them nor have I attempted to adjust them seeing as how it's still day as I write this. Anyone else done changes to these?

Phil :rider:

Phil,

Are the bulbs $26 each?

PhilS
12-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Bulbs came in a two-pack for $21 plus $5 shipping - total $26. You can find them on Ebay for anywhere from $19/pair up to $25 or more.

MetrickMetal
12-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Bulbs came in a two-pack for $21 plus $5 shipping - total $26. You can find them on Ebay for anywhere from $19/pair up to $25 or more.

Are these the sames ones I have been seeing the commercials of on TV, where it shows a guy standing out in the middle of a dry lake bed at night, showing the differance between them and regular bulbs.

PhilS
12-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Are these the sames ones I have been seeing the commercials of on TV, where it shows a guy standing out in the middle of a dry lake bed at night, showing the differance between them and regular bulbs.

Sí. Mire por favor este vídeo. :popcorn:

Uhh, I mean yes, watch this video.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVvsAwTbRo

GregH
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm curious as to how bright they are to oncoming traffic. Is anybody flashing their high beams at you?

GregH
12-30-2007, 12:03 PM
My first mod was to install a Stebel Nautilus Airhorn. I definitely recommend one for your personal protection and fun (it will cause cagers to spill their Starbucks!). :mrgreen:
It's over on the Mods section and here is the link: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18727

txbanditrydr
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure the Silverstars are worth it on the new Bandits since the headlight design is vastly improved over earlier generations. I've run Silverstars in my 2001 Bandit 600 and it made a HUGE difference but I was fighting the dreaded black-dust curse the "S" models are known for.

The only real knock on Silverstars is longevity - they have been reported to fail at a higher rate. If I was using them on a long trip I'd consider taking spares or the OEM's with me. Of course, the newer model Bandits are likely smoother running and won't beat the bulb up quite as much. Looking forward to your impressions of them when you get the opportunity.

PhilS
12-30-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm curious as to how bright they are to oncoming traffic. Is anybody flashing their high beams at you?

Too cold up here to ride right now - especially at night. I'll let ya' know once she goes back out. I'll be adjusting them at night before I ride out to try to try and keep the flashing to a minimum.

GregH
12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Too cold up here to ride right now - especially at night.
Oh, yeah, Ohio. I wasn't thinking...

ndmiller
12-30-2007, 04:28 PM

You can get a rebate for $10 off a pair from the Sylvania website as well http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/LightingForHome/CouponsAndRebates/default.htm

PhilS
12-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, this will be interesting seeing as how I bought them off Ebay from a private seller......but what the heck, $10 is $10. Thanks.

PhilS
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM

No flashing at all. I look like a BMW now.......:eek2:

Realistically, what I like is the clear sharp well defined bright white light out there and the high beam is a lot like "day". This is also the first time I adjusted the headlight from stock which had the low beam way too far in and the hi-beam was like most normal low-beams. BUT, beyond the adjustments, the light is more clearly defined as opposed to a somewhat washout look, is whiter, and goes probably 30 to 50% further to the front and the right side. I tried to take night pictures to post, but they did not come out clear enough to make any sense.

And, if the rebate works, I will have $16 TOTAL invested. Let's just hope an Ebay purchased item works the same as a store bought as far as the rebate police are concerned. It said 8 to 12 weeks to get the refund. The world may not exist in 12 weeks - but at leat we gave it a shot. :eek2:

The rebate is only good until 1/31/2008.

Thank God for the newly installed handguards. Night riding in 29 degrees was cold everywhere - except my hands!! :rider: :trust: :rider:

Phil

GregH
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
No flashing at all. I look like a BMW now...Thank God for the newly installed handguards. Night riding in 29 degrees was cold everywhere - except my hands!
Thanks for taking one for the team! :mrgreen:

ndmiller
12-30-2007, 08:43 PM
And, if the rebate works, I will have $16 TOTAL invested. Let's just hope an Ebay purchased item works the same as a store bought as far as the rebate police are concerned. It said 8 to 12 weeks to get the refund. The world may not exist in 12 weeks - but at leat we gave it a shot. :eek2:

I think there is even an area on Sylvania's website to check the status of your rebate as well. They can post status on the rebate each step of the way, but not fulfill it for 2-3 months...by then your $10.00 may only be worth $9.99.:rofl:

Roy
12-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Too cold up here to ride right now - especially at night. I'll let ya' know once she goes back out. I'll be adjusting them at night before I ride out to try to try and keep the flashing to a minimum.

Time to call up Gerbing and get some heated gear.

I live in the deep south and I have Gerbing heated gear. The stuff it great!

It does get cold down here :rider: no global warming taking place at the moment. :sun:

Roy
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
My Bandit is in electrical gadget overload right now.

*Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
*Starcom1 headset for my helmet (music, GPS and my phone:trust: )
*Valentine 1 radar detector
*Marc Parnes LED visual alert (for my V1)
*Gerbing heated plug for vest and gloves
*Cigarette lighter plug under the seat near the battery (for whatever)
*battery tender plug to keep the battery hot when not riding

more to add later :giveup:

treybrad
12-31-2007, 03:17 PM
My Bandit is in electrical gadget overload right now.

*Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
*Starcom1 headset for my helmet (music, GPS and my phone:trust: )
*Valentine 1 radar detector
*Marc Parnes LED visual alert (for my V1)
*Gerbing heated plug for vest and gloves
*Cigarette lighter plug under the seat near the battery (for whatever)
*battery tender plug to keep the battery hot when not riding

more to add later :giveup:

Glad I'm not the only one...

*Garmin 2610 GPS
*Dual Star Heated Grips
*Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner
*HID Low Beam Headlight (real HID, not just a bulb)
*http://www.digitalmeter.com/ Volt Meter
*TFI Tuning Box

And it's all connected to a relay-switched Blue Sea fuse box... :giveup:

Just put the volt meter on last night. Didn't need the jacket liner this morning, but with the GPS going and the grips at full blast, voltage only dropped from about 14.6v to 14.2v. The jacket shouldn't drop it too much more, so it looks like we've got a decent generator on the 1250.

One day I'll get un-lazy and post up some pics of it all.

trey

The Big Spank Daddy
12-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Just a note on the SS bulbs. Definitely a huge improvment over stock, but you are correct about the lihe expectancy. The literature with the bulbs say 12 months. I would say that is very accurate. I run the SS bulbs in everything I have and have done so for about three years.

I run my high beems 80% of the time on the GPZ and put about 10K miles a year on it. My high beam filament is the one that always fails.

I get my bulbs at Wally-World and I believe a two pack is about $29 and around $18 for a single. I had one fail while riding this October in the hill country and it cost me $20 with tax at a local auto parts store in Kerrville.

As for the brightness, not such a huge difference on low. High beam on the other hand is like daylight:eek2:

PhilS
12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Glad I'm not the only one...
*http://www.digitalmeter.com/ Volt Meter

Just put the volt meter on last night.
One day I'll get un-lazy and post up some pics of it all.

trey

That voltmeter looks very cool. Where does it hook up? And, could you please post some pics?

Phil

suzukijo
12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
i had mentioned elsewhere
that i had changed the front turnsignals. originally i had used 2 sided tape to hold them on, but the cold weather made that impractical, and they had begun to fall off. one suggestion by elbandito (thanks, scott) was to bolt them on, and after sleeping on it, decided that was best.

so i brazed a screw to them and feel better now that they are held on solidly.
a test blast up to 120mph and they handled the wind buffeting no problemo.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5760/img0002ka9.jpg

overall look

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5204/img0003mr8.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9574/img0004mm9.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2025/img3268gd2.jpg

when i find something i like for the back, i might eventually change them also, but so far i cannot find something that pleases me.

PhilS
12-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Non-electrical, but the pictures are in this thread.

Suzukijo and Elbandito - I think both of you have removed the Bandit 1250S stickers from the front cowling and replaced them with GSXR stickers. I pulled one of the stickers off today but it left behind the "sticker/sticky layer. I am trying hair-dryer heat with WD-40 in an effort to remove it but to avail.

Any suggestions or input on what you did?

Phil

MetrickMetal
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Suzukijo and Elbandito - I think both of you have removed the Bandit 1250S stickers from the front cowling and replaced them with GSXR stickers. I pulled one of the stickers off today but it left behind the "sticker/sticky layer. I am trying hair-dryer heat with WD-40 in an effort to remove it but to avail.

Phil

Phil,

Go to and buy yourself a bottle of 91 percent Isopropyl rubbing alchohol, and it will easily remove all of the glue residue, as that what I used, and it works great and doesn't harm the paint.

I tried the lower 70 percent rubbing alchohol, but it just wasn't quite strong enough to attach the glue, but the higher 91 percent does the trick. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

PhilS
12-31-2007, 05:31 PM
You, my friend, are the man.

Thanks.

Off to buy alchohol!!!!!! :chug:

suzukijo
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
for anyone else that plans on removing it, mine left the glue and i used my finger and thumb to steadily push and roll the glue off.
it took a while, but i should have used some heat so the glue stayed with the sticker.

i applied some black and silver to the front, and still have yet to add what i really want. i have some artwork drawn for it, i added the GSXR sticker simply to see what it might look like, and just left it.

i really dont like the pink R, but i think it needs something.

i have also thought that something else on the side, more like something i have just behind the lite, might look ok, buy have yet to try and make it.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1620/img0008oi9.jpg

PhilS
12-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Where did you get those tank emblems? And, did the old ones come off easily?

suzukijo
12-31-2007, 08:08 PM
as suggested by el bandito, the original tank badges came off by pulling some dental floss behind it, and peeling it up and off bit by bit.

the plastic tank badges are a suzuki part number. 68111-03000 for a '66 suzuki 50cc M15 mark II.

Roy
01-01-2008, 09:03 AM

Phil

Goo Gone

found at any hardware store, citrus based and it will disolve the goo left by the stickers.

suzukijo
01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Goo Gone found at any hardware store, citrus based and it will disolve the goo left by the stickers.

goo gone doesnt work in this situation. ask me how i know.

PhilS
01-01-2008, 01:20 PM

But, I can tell you that 91 percent Isopropyl alchohol, a heat gun due to the 28 degree garage, and a little elbow grease works great. Now the Bandit is sans-stickers and looks very sleek!! WooHoo.

Roy
01-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Never had it not work. It works on the toughest sticker, the warning stickers. Oh well to each as on.

treybrad
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
That voltmeter looks very cool. Where does it hook up? And, could you please post some pics?

Phil

Here's the voltmeter:

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/meter.jpg

And all my gadgetry:

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/all.jpg

There's a piece of trim that fits around the meter, but I didn't have my drill when I was installing it the other day. I think it'll look nicer when I install that. Install is simple. Trim a hole out to fit the meter, run a GND and PWR wire (switched), I just ran mine from my switched fuse block. There's screw terminals on the back of the gauge, done.

trey

Noise Most Beautiful
01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Now there is a nice cockpit! Very slick GPS too. Where are the thruster / afterburner position indicators? just kiddin'! :rider:

GregH
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
That is very slick. Nice.

PhilS
01-01-2008, 07:26 PM
There's a piece of trim that fits around the meter, but I didn't have my drill when I was installing it the other day. I think it'll look nicer when I install that. Install is simple. Trim a hole out to fit the meter, run a GND and PWR wire (switched), I just ran mine from my switched fuse block. There's screw terminals on the back of the gauge, done.

trey

Very cool Trey:

Does the indication jump around as you're riding adn the battery is charging/discharging/etc?

Very nice - I'm buyin'. If things start to go bad electrically, it would be nice to know "WELL" in advance. Meaning, if the alternator/regulator takes a crap you would immediately see the 13.8 nominal reading jump into into the 15+ range or back down to normal battery 12ish. As far as I know, there is no indication on the stock guages that something electrical is failing. If the voltmeter indicates something out of whack and the bike is still running, you got time to get it somewhere instead of waiting until it kills the bike.....

Good mod.

Phil

treybrad
01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Very cool Trey:

Does the indication jump around as you're riding adn the battery is charging/discharging/etc?

Very nice - I'm buyin'. If things start to go bad electrically, it would be nice to know "WELL" in advance. Meaning, if the alternator/regulator takes a crap you would immediately see the 13.8 nominal reading jump into into the 15+ range or back down to normal battery 12ish. As far as I know, there is no indication on the stock guages that something electrical is failing. If the voltmeter indicates something out of whack and the bike is still running, you got time to get it somewhere instead of waiting until it kills the bike.....

Good mod.

Phil

It doesn't "jump" around, but it does go up and down as the voltage changes. That website offers a more sensitive gauge that reads into the hundredths, they cautioned that that model would "jump" around a bit. At idle, mine stays around 13.5v, at 3k RPM or so it's around 14.4v, and around 5k RPM more around 14.8v. That's the highest I've seen so far (that was with the grips going too).

I got it b/c of all the electrical goodies I've added and the lack of knowledge about this bike's electrical system. I can't even get a straight answer on how many watts the alternator puts out... So, like you, I'm thinking if things start to go south, or if the system just couldn't run a jacket/grips/GPS/etc I'll know before it's too late (hopefully)...

trey

rhenriksen
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow, that voltmeter installation is really slick!

Dumb question - I don't have enough electrical farkles to justify a wiring/fuse block, just the Stebel Nautilus & now a Garmin Zumo 550. I want to make sure I wire the latter into a switched power source. Any suggestions? I wired the Stebel's relay directly to the battery positive post, with a fuse between the battery & the relay. Am not sure where to tap in for the GPS power cord. :huh:

suzukijo
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM
has anyone mounted a camera mount? suggestions, pictures, links.

(comments without real world experience secretly laughed at)

heres a short video, but i was holding the camera in my left hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97koot32MQ
local riding area.

Roy
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Am not sure where to tap in for the GPS power cord. :huh:

Just wire it to the battery. A hard wire works better for a GPS since on bike shutdown for fuel your GPS will still be running real time and no long boot up waiting for satelites.

BTW that is the way my Zumo is wired on my bike straight to the battery. Your Zumo should have come with a fuse link hard wire kit.

rhenriksen
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Just wire it to the battery. A hard wire works better for a GPS since on bike shutdown for fuel your GPS will still be running real time and no long boot up waiting for satelites.

BTW that is the way my Zumo is wired on my bike straight to the battery. Your Zumo should have come with a fuse link hard wire kit.

Ah, good point - thanks!

PhilS
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Hello all:

I am looking to see if anyone has installed an electrical outlet on the bike yet.

I have two things going on:

1) Powering the GPS and I want a plug in option.
2) I want to power the cell phone

I am searching through the Powerlet website to get ideas.

What have you guys done?

Phil

MetrickMetal
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Hello all:

I am looking to see if anyone has installed an electrical outlet on the bike yet.

What have you guys done?

Phil

I installed this custom made bracket to hold the plug for my Widder electric vest.
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20071218/9/9/5/9954ee25917aecefc9e347926db2f43d0_large.jpg

PhilS
01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I installed this custom made bracket to hold the plug for my Widder electric vest.
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20071218/9/9/5/9954ee25917aecefc9e347926db2f43d0_large.jpg

Custom billet mount of some sort from El Bandito - who would have thought!!!!

Just kidding. I am amazed at your talent! VERY VERY Nice job.

Why in California do you need a heated vest?

suzukijo
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
because this morning on the road to work there were 4 trucks in the ditch, and one motorcycle that had slid out, black ice. 28 degrees. its a dry cold.

i'll try and bring the little camera to work and take a picture of the ditch, on my way home.
(i know everything in texas is bigger)

MetrickMetal
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Custom billet mount of some sort from El Bandito - who would have thought!!!!

Just kidding. I am amazed at your talent! VERY VERY Nice job.

Why in California do you need a heated vest?

Ah lets see, I ride my bike to college 135 mile round trip, and when I leave school at 9:30 pm, by the time I start heading up the Fwy to Lancaster its around 10 pm, it lately been down around 30 to 35 degees, and by the time I actually get home in Lancaster at around 10:30 pm, its even a little colder.

TWTourist
01-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello all:

What have you guys done?

Phil

Phil,

I installed a powerlet 12v plug (wired hot) on my Bandit. It powers my Sirius and anything else that needs 12V. I plan to add a BMW type plug in the near future.

treybrad
01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Hello all:

What have you guys done?

Phil

You're on the right track w/ Powerlet. Do you want it 'mounted' somewhere, like the fairing, or can it be under the seat only to be used when needed?

I know the Powerlet site has some mounts for a footpeg mount:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/suzuki_sv650_rearset.php

That'd be a long way from your GPS if you wanted to power that though...

Check out Eastern Beaver:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Powerlet/Socket_Kits/socket_kits.html

You can get just about anything from them. I plan on adding a cigarette style outlet at some point for tire pump and/or cell phone, I'll probably go w/ Easter Beaver... I'm pretty sure Roy or someone has a 12v outlet on the dash, I know I've seen it on a 1250, just can't remember where...

Post pics when you get it installed.

trey

Roy
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Roy or someone has a 12v outlet on the dash, I know I've seen it on a 1250, just can't remember where...

Actually I don't have a power outlet on the dash, mine is mounted under the seat to the cross bar right aft of the battery. All of my accesories are hard wired no plugging in anything. I have the outlet under the seat for cell phone charging while camping off the bike and it also can be used to power my air pump to inflate my sleeping pad. It is a run of the mill cig plug that is weather proof I think it cost me $4 bucks at wal-mart.:mrgreen:

I have thought of adding a powerlet on the dash or on the left side panel but can't seem to justify why I would need it there. I already have enough electrical gadgets in front of me to keep me preoccupied. My Gerbing heated gear is powered straight off the battery with the pigtail provided. I keep the plug-in tucked up between the frame tube and air box down by my left thigh. Works great! I have my heat troller clipped on my tank bag rear handle clearly in sight and easy to get at while riding. Nothing like heat this time of year.:trust:

bones
01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Eastern Beaver has some nice stuff. Hmmm.

I need to wire my GPS, Radar, temp/volt gauges, 12V plug and possibly XM Radio. I am going to take it to my friend who is an electronics guru and have him help me do it clean and proper.

suzukijo
01-30-2008, 09:11 PM
it gets cold.

PhilS
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Phil,

I installed a powerlet 12v plug (wired hot) on my Bandit. It powers my Sirius and anything else that needs 12V. I plan to add a BMW type plug in the near future.

Cool :thumb:

You happen to have a ny pictures of this?

TWTourist
01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Cool :thumb:

You happen to have a ny pictures of this?

Sorry no pics but I can take some this weekend. No bets on how they are going to turn out. :doh:

PhilS
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Here's kind of an electrical mod.....I mounted my Garmin Nuvi 200 on the bike today courtesy of a 7/8" mount I found on Ebay for $30.50 shipped. Very nice workmanship. No wiring yet - maybe never. It's got a 4 hour battery and I only plan on using it when I'm in the middle of nowhere and need a way out.

Now to see how well it works in transit.....

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount001.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount002.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount004.jpg

bones
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Really? I use my GPS as my speedo on trips so I always have it on.

Roy
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Really? I use my GPS as my speedo on trips so I always have it on.

I use mine to listen to music and to answer the phone so it is always on.:mrgreen:

Hardwired to the bikes battery also is good for running real time out on a trip where you never have it cut off at a fuel stop or food stop when you kill the bike.

suzukijo
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I use mine to listen to music and to answer the phone so it is always on

would you mind enclosing pic of how you have that set up?

PhilS
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
OK - panic set in realizing that my new toy could theoretically go flying down the road after it comes loose or pops off the mount. So I found this "tethering" idea online at http://www.gadgetjq.com/gps_tether.htm and decided to make my own. I went to Home Depot and spent $5 on all the parts which were:

1 ft 1/16" bare cable
1 ft 3/32" coated cable
A dual loccking key ring
And the ferruls for the cable

My GPS had no holes for attaching anything, so I use a Tye-Wrap anchor and stuck it on - your GPS holes may vary. If it falls off the mount, the tether keeps it secured, although hitting the fairing or gas tank, but still secured.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount005.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount006.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount007.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount008.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount009.jpg

TWTourist
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
OK - panic set in realizing that my new toy could theoretically go flying down the road after it comes loose or pops off the mount. So I found this "tethering" idea online at http://www.gadgetjq.com/gps_tether.htm and decided to make my own. I went to Home Depot and spent $5 on all the parts which were:

1 ft 1/16" bare cable
1 ft 3/32" coated cable
A dual loccking key ring
And the ferruls for the cable

My GPS had no holes for attaching anything, so I use a Tye-Wrap anchor and stuck it on - your GPS holes may vary. If it falls off the mount, the tether keeps it secured, although hitting the fairing or gas tank, but still secured.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount005.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount006.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount007.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount008.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount009.jpg

Great idea! :clap: I'll need to pick up them parts.

Here are the pics of my dash mounted 12V Powerlet.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/FJR-Bandit/IMG_0010-2.jpg

and one with the Sirius pluged in.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/FJR-Bandit/IMG_0012-1.jpg

God looking that those pics.....I need to clean the Bandit and wire route.:oops:

PhilS
02-02-2008, 03:38 PM
and one with the Sirius pluged in.

Always been curious about Sirius/XM receivers - can you plus headphones right into them and you're good to go?

suzukijo
02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
roy, and fjrbandit,
have both mentioned they listen to music with theirs plugged in.
i would like to see pics of how they have that set up.

i recently sold both my X-2 chatterboxes.
it would be neat to see how someone has the sat radio, connected and wired up to listen.
i have sirius in 2 vehicles. no fm signal around here, too many mtns.

dont forget to post a pic of you on the bike, and or helmet.
cell, ipod connection, if you have that, or mp3.

TWTourist
02-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Always been curious about Sirius/XM receivers - can you plus headphones right into them and you're good to go?

I went with Sirius and the Steamer GT just for that reason. The Steamer GT has both an audio out and a headphone jack. It has volume control on the side with the headphone jack. On the Bandit, I just plug my headphone in and enjoy.

I also have a Stiletto portable that can use a headphone. But you have to use the base to power from 12V. The base only has an audio out jack. I have not check to see if the volume control will have any affect on the output.

Hope this helps.

bones
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I decided against auto gauges to get engine temp so I mounted the volt meter from Digital Meter (http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=configspc.txt)

Pretty simple. I will wire it up later once I get my GPS wire kit and a 12V lighter plug in. Also will hard wire in a Escort radar later to be purchased.

Took me several runs to get it where I could see it from my vantage point. I packed my tank bag to the brim also for a 'worst case" scenario. Once I had it where I wanted it I drilled 4 holes. It was a tight fit with the drill so I missed the edge. Then I dremeled the rest and test fit, dremel, test fit, etc.

http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370641-L.jpg

http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370602-L.jpg

http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370670-L.jpg

http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370560-L.jpg

Retainer clip and trim ring
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370469-L.jpg

bones
02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh and talking with Andrew with Digital meter about using the stock oil pressure sender for the idiot light into a gauge just like above. We'll see how this pans out the more we talk. If I have to I will send him parts off mine to make this work.

Just got this in am email
We'd need a sensor with an analog output relative to temp.

Anyone tell me if this is possible? Hoping so. Thanks

treybrad
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Retainer clip and trim ring
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/251370469-L.jpg

Looks great, but do tell... how did you get the trim ring on? Did you take off all of the trim panel around the fairing where you mounted it? It came with those tiny little screws.. I haven't tried to do mine yet because of the tediousness of those screws...

I need to get mine on, yours looks much better than mine...

trey

bones
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Trim ring is just sitting on there. That panel will get removed when I do all my other wiring mods and I will then add the screws. Simple just drill through the rubber grommet and take your time.

suzukijo
02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
i moved a couple things around, getting the wiring from above the battery to the side. seat still fits easily. inlet no longer has wiring hanging in front of snorkel.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9578/img0248ii5.jpg

flash makes dust look like its worse than it is. starter relay is moved from middle to the left, and small black boxes are both on right side. there is plenty wiring to move things without any lengthening. just relocating.

PhilS
02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Let's just call this....."Howto turn a 12 Volt perfectly good battery into a 3 Volt dead useless battery" :clap: .

Obviously, I'm an idiot. :doh:

I left my Garmin GPS plugged in to the fused battery hook up and left it there for the last 5 days while it's been 10 to 20 degrees up here in lovely Columbus. As it turns out, as far as I can tell, the car charger is a 12 volt to 5 volt voltage regulator/transformer outputing to a mini-usb that pulls current - always - regardless of GPS's full charge or not. Well, to my surprise, the battery and GPS were both freakin' dead today. I had to put a real battery charger on it for a few minutes to at least get it up to an 8 or 9 volt level then I plugged the infamous Battery Tender Jr. back in and it is slowly coming back to life. Man - this sucks.

There is a slight chance the GPS was on the whole time, but I doubt it. I think it was just the charger regulator and me not knowing anything.....

So - my advice to you - don't do this - 'cause if you do, after reading this rant, you too will be an idoit!!

YMMV.

Phil

treybrad
02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I left my Garmin GPS plugged in to the fused battery hook up and left it there for the last 5 days...

Exactly why everything on my bike is on a switched connection... It'd be nice to play with the GPS at stops, but I just KNOW I'd do what you did eventually... :doh:

Good luck bringing the battery back to life.

trey

rworm
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Let's just call this....."Howto turn a 12 Volt perfectly good battery into a 3 Volt dead useless battery" :clap: .

Obviously, I'm an idiot. :doh:

I left my Garmin GPS plugged in to the fused battery hook up and left it there for the last 5 days while it's been 10 to 20 degrees up here in lovely Columbus. As it turns out, as far as I can tell, the car charger is a 12 volt to 5 volt voltage regulator/transformer outputing to a mini-usb that pulls current - always - regardless of GPS's full charge or not. Well, to my surprise, the battery and GPS were both freakin' dead today. I had to put a real battery charger on it for a few minutes to at least get it up to an 8 or 9 volt level then I plugged the infamous Battery Tender Jr. back in and it is slowly coming back to life. Man - this sucks.

There is a slight chance the GPS was on the whole time, but I doubt it. I think it was just the charger regulator and me not knowing anything.....

So - my advice to you - don't do this - 'cause if you do, after reading this rant, you too will be an idoit!!

YMMV.

Phil

Youre right the transformer would have been like leaving a light bulb burning-it was warm for a little while though:)

rworm

Roy
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
No way I could leave my GPS on its lit up like a TV set. Plus I have to look straight at it to get the key out of the bike. I prefer the direct hardwire method regardless.

suzukijo
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
i found it interesting that government is considering the regulation of driver distractions, recent devices such as cell phones are cause of many accidents.
one of the items reviewed as a distraction, is screens within view of the driver, such as dvd players, and others.

hopefully they dont include gps screens, in their stupidity.

does anyone have pics of their setups.

rworm
02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
i found it interesting that government is considering the regulation of driver distractions, recent devices such as cell phones are cause of many accidents.
one of the items reviewed as a distraction, is screens within view of the driver, such as dvd players, and others.

hopefully they dont include gps screens, in their stupidity.

Hey it scares me bad enough just to look down-SPEED/TACH-DON'T STARE TO LONG OR YOU AND THE CAGE BECOME 1:trust:

PhilS
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM

Here's my Nuvi 200 plus the mount I got from EBAY for $25.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GarminMount002.jpg

bones
03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Okay, ordered a 4 fuse box from eastern beaver. here is what I am wiring up, LMK if you would do it another way. I got the 4 over the 6 dues to space and this is all I can see myself needing for extras. The 12V plug if ever used will be for cell charging is all.

GPS, XM will be combined to one hot

12V plug and Radar combined to a switch

Grip heaters to a switch

Volt meter to a switch

wanabeguru
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
It doesn't "jump" around, but it does go up and down as the voltage changes. That website offers a more sensitive gauge that reads into the hundredths, they cautioned that that model would "jump" around a bit. At idle, mine stays around 13.5v, at 3k RPM or so it's around 14.4v, and around 5k RPM more around 14.8v. That's the highest I've seen so far (that was with the grips going too).

I got it b/c of all the electrical goodies I've added and the lack of knowledge about this bike's electrical system. I can't even get a straight answer on how many watts the alternator puts out... So, like you, I'm thinking if things start to go south, or if the system just couldn't run a jacket/grips/GPS/etc I'll know before it's too late (hopefully)...

trey

Per bandit service manual 400Watts at 5000RPM What I couldn't EASILY find were the power requirements in Watts for ignition, fan, ABS, and fuel pump. It looks like about 200 Watts of power is available if you are at or above 5000RPM. As time allows for reading the PDF manual, i'll try to find numbers for you. Remember, GENTLY pull wiring harnesses and good wiring practices dictate ALWAYS FUSING AND CONNECTING TO A SWITCHED SOURCE. Hope this helps,
Wally

RTL
03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
The Bandit must have the same output altenator as the V-Strom. 200 free watts if your lucky isn't that hard to use up especially when powering heated clothing, driving lights, etc.

For comparison this info courtesy of John at the V-Strom Forum:
Strom Wattage Available. This is at 5000 RPM, at idle and slow speeds, considerably less.

02 DL1000 = (350 watts) ~95 watts to play with
03 & Up DL1000 = (400 watts) ~ 145 watts to play with
All DL650 = (375 watts) ~ 120 watts to play with (K7650ABS somewhat less)
02 DL1000 with 06 SV1000 engine & HID headlights & LED's ~ 205 to play with

treybrad
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
The Bandit must have the same output altenator as the V-Strom. 200 free watts if your lucky isn't that hard to use up especially when powering heated clothing, driving lights, etc.

For comparison this info courtesy of John at the V-Strom Forum:
Strom Wattage Available. This is at 5000 RPM, at idle and slow speeds, considerably less.

02 DL1000 = (350 watts) ~95 watts to play with
03 & Up DL1000 = (400 watts) ~ 145 watts to play with
All DL650 = (375 watts) ~ 120 watts to play with (K7650ABS somewhat less)
02 DL1000 with 06 SV1000 engine & HID headlights & LED's ~ 205 to play with

Good to know, I'll have to look up what each of my toys draws when on.

I've been riding all winter, a few times w/ the heated grips and Gerbing liner going full-tilt, the GPS on, and the voltmeter has never dipped below 13v. With everything on it hovers around 13.5v cruising and drops to about 13.2v idling.

I'm sure the HID headlight helps, but I'm not sure how much... I'd like to get some aux lights, but I don't see any elegant way to mount them up for now...

trey

wanabeguru
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Good to know, I'll have to look up what each of my toys draws when on.

I've been riding all winter, a few times w/ the heated grips and Gerbing liner going full-tilt, the GPS on, and the voltmeter has never dipped below 13v. With everything on it hovers around 13.5v cruising and drops to about 13.2v idling.

I'm sure the HID headlight helps, but I'm not sure how much... I'd like to get some aux lights, but I don't see any elegant way to mount them up for now...

trey

A good rule of thumb: no matter what you have turned on, if the system voltmeter shows no less than about 13.2 volts, you are STILL CHARGING. As more power is pulled from system, the OUTPUT voltage of the gen/alt will drop accordingly(example: as a simple test, put desk lamp on same outlet as 4 slice toaster, turn toaster on and watch lamp go dimmer) A fully charged[12v] wet cell battery will read around 13.2V[6 series cells at 2.2 volts each] In fact, the VOLTAGE REGULATOR in the system determines the output of the gen/alt referencing system voltage and changes output of it accordingly. So, if you can monitor system voltage, you know exactly where your electrical system stands.
Wally

Brass
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Electrical has never been my thing. It has always been a bit of a mystery to me. So keep that in mind when you look at this little item I came across today.

If I'm understanding it correctly it's a Volt/Amp monitor and battery charger that is permanently mounted on the bike.
The display can be mounted to the bar or I’m sure attached to a flat surface.

Here's the link to it. Maybe it fits the bill for what some of you are looking for.

http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=CG-25

suzukijo
03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
its a volt, amp, meter, with a outside temperature guage.
for $150, ouch. (WARNING WILL ROBINSON, its cold outside)

a small volt meter, that also shows amps, can be bought at harbor freight for about $10, and is a useful tool not only for this, but most other bike and house related electrical measurements.

surely not something to clamp on the handlebars, but as a tool, $10? not $150.

neat that you found such a gadget farkle, and maybe someone wants to clamp it next to their radar detector, gps, camera mount, sattelite radio, heated grip adjuster knob, etc. i gotta go, and check to see, if the teddybear i tied to the back of my saddlebags is ok...

Brass
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it had an auto-battery tender type charger. But now thinking about it, that $10 volt/amp meter and a $20 battery tender does keep a lot more money in your pocket.
As for the temp display, I've never needed a display to tell me when I was cold.

I'll beg the forgiveness of all in light of my electrical stupidity.

Joe, you can probably find a Ram mount for that teddy bear.

suzukijo
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Joe, you can probably find a Ram mount for that teddy bear....snip by suzukijo.....

i got his head squeezed between the body and lid, with his arms and legs hanging out, just kidding.......harbor freight had the battery tenders on sale for $5.

Brass
03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Harbor freight as a lot of cool stuff. Shame that we don't have one of them up on this side of the border.

wanabeguru
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Harbor freight as a lot of cool stuff. Shame that we don't have one of them up on this side of the border.

If Canadian customs isn't too bad on what you want/need maybe we can figure a way to get it to you?
Wally:giveup:

Brass
03-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I was just looking at the $30 wheel chock they have. I can't even make it for that price up here. A call to Harbor freight might be needed to find out about shipping.

Customs isn't too hard to deal with up here. The only problem with them right now is the delay. They have been swamped with shoppers (myself included) having things sent up. So it's understandable that things can get hung up at the border.
Ironicly it's faster to import from overseas than it is from the US.

bones
03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I decided against auto gauges to get engine temp so I mounted the volt meter from Digital Meter (http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=configspc.txt)

Update

12V plug, GPS, Radar, Grip Heaters on high bike at idle, volt meter reads 13.7/8 going down the road it stayed there. switch off the grip heaters and it went to 14.0/2 range it seemed. All my 'lectronics go through a fuse/relay setup from www.easternbeaver.com Nice stuff from him. FYI, it come from Japan, so it will take a week min. to get for you last minute orderers (me)

Off to Oklahoma tonight, temps in the upper 30's here in Iowa. :rider:

treybrad
03-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Off to Oklahoma tonight, temps in the upper 30's here in Iowa. :rider:

Have fun! Not sure what the temps are in OK, but down here in Austin it's supposed to be 92 degrees Friday afternoon :giveup:

Should be a nice change from the Tundra you call home...

trey

bones
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
60's I think is the forecast.

39 for a high Sunday here, so I need to be back in Iowa as close to afternoon as I can. Going to be a LOOONG weekend. :chug:

dacur
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
You seem to know what you're talking about :clap: so I have a question for ya. I have the Gerbing gloves and socks coming in.
Specifications:
Heat GHC High Density Heat
Source 12-volts DC
Current 2.2 amps
Watts 27 watts
for each. Will my 07 Bandit 1250 power these two items ok? I don't have anything else hooked up that would draw power.......yet. Thanks in advance

wanabeguru
03-18-2008, 07:20 PM
You seem to know what you're talking about :clap: so I have a question for ya. I have the Gerbing gloves and socks coming in.
Specifications:
Source 12-volts DC
Current 2.2 amps
Watts 27 watts
for each. Will my 07 Bandit 1250 power these two items ok? I don't have anything else hooked up that would draw power.......yet. Thanks in advance

see #75 this thread. Happy wiring!
Wally:rider:

dacur
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks for the fast reply, although I was hoping you wouldn't say that :eek2: .

It's 36F here in Michigan, man I envy you West Coasters with your year round riding. Guess it's time to break down and buy that salamander heater for the garage and start some wiring.

bones
03-18-2008, 08:04 PM
60's I think is the forecast.

39 for a high Sunday here, so I need to be back in Iowa as close to afternoon as I can. Going to be a LOOONG weekend. :chug:
They lied. Upper 40's for a high all weekend and rained. Never got above 40 all day Sunday from Oklahoma to Iowa. Miserable riding that far in the cold on a bike that needs a better screen.

treybrad
03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Specifications:
Source 12-volts DC
Current 2.2 amps
Watts 27 watts

You'll be fine. I'm running much more than that with no ill effects all winter.

trey

PhilS
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Can someone show me or tell me where to find a fused ignition switched connection point? I want to power my Cell/GPS charger but don't want to leave it on whiel the bike is off.

Pictures would be great..but aything will help.

bones
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Tail light wire is what I tapped into for my fuse/relay kit. www.easternbeaver.com has pics.

treybrad
03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Tail light wire is what I tapped into for my fuse/relay kit. www.easternbeaver.com has pics.

+1, that was the easiest switched source for me to get at. I have it triggering a relay to power my fuse box.

If you just want to power up a charger, tap into that wire, add a relay and a fuse, and use a cig. lighter socket from Wally World or a parts store.

trey

Pecan7
03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I had my Suzuki dealer wire some Symtec heated grips for me, and the tech spliced into the existing wire for the horn. When I was riding home from picking up the bike, after about 15 minutes of having the grips on the high setting, my instrument cluster went completely blank. The fuse had shorted out - the fuse that handles the intruments, horn, and turn signals. I replaced the fuse with the spare, and have since run the grips on the low setting a few times with no problems.
Anyone think the horn's power wire is insufficient for that load, and that's the reason for the blown fuse? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? The roads were also a little damp on the way home when it blew, but I don't think enough water could have gotten up into the spliced wiring to do anything.
I would take it back to the dealer to fix it, but frankly I'm quite disappointed with the quality of their work and I don't trust them to work on the bike any further.

wanabeguru
03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
quote: after about 15 minutes of having the grips on the high setting, my instrument cluster went completely blank. The fuse had shorted out - the fuse that handles the intruments, horn, and turn signals. I replaced the fuse with the spare, and have since run the grips on the low setting a few times with no problems.
Anyone think the horn's power wire is insufficient for that load, and that's the reason for the blown fuse? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

First, what was being used electrically?? If we assume grips were running on high, instrument leds were on, turn signal in use, and you used horn to warn cager, the total current drawn on the horn wiring/fuse could have been excessive thereby OPENING[NOT SHORTING] fuse. It may be that without using horn but with all the other stuff on, it was very close to max rating for fuse. Fuse heats up coupled with bike's vibration and fuse "blows"[opens].
I think heated grips should be on a SEPARATE FUSED CIRCUIT with correctly sized wire to handle the load. Could the "mechanic" have taken the easy way out on this wiring mod????
It may be worth a casual conversation with shop owner about shop either paying a "qualified bike electrician" to put grips on switched separate circuit, or totally refund all labor charges. Then point out that his mechanic's less than stellar wiring will eventually cause a FIRE in wiring harness, loss of bike and ensuing lawsuit.
Even though horn circuit probably has the capacity[without horn being used] to power grips, they really should be on a dedicated circuit, IMHO.
Good luck, I understand it's "your baby"
Wally[07 RED BANDIT]:rider:

bones
03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Run a fuse and a relay and you will have no issues with your grip heaters. I had mine on high today for a bit and low the rest of a 100 mile trip and also had them on the entire 800 mile trip a few weeks back and other than my grips looking like the have melted some, no issues with wiring. I am at 14.0 volts with grip heaters, GPS and radar going.

dacur
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Saw your post and wanted to put my .02 in. I bought this mount and have had no problems with it and do not need the extra harness that you made (looks like it works great though). I've riden thousands of miles without any problems. I think I bought it from the ram mount home site but I forget :doh: here's what I have.
http://store.advdesigns.net/moforganu300.html

Terizius
04-19-2008, 02:55 AM
thus far i have added:

Heated Grips
Garmin Zumo 550
Accessory Lights
12v Cigarette Socket

I have the heated grips, 12v and GPS routed through a relay with the horn power line as my switched power. The accessory lights are ran through a 2nd relay under the seat with a pig tail wire from the first relay to again provide my switched power from the horn. Both relays are fused coming from the battery. I also have a 2nd inline fuse on the GPS hot lead (it was expensive). I dont have a volt meter, though i like the one that is dash mounted, but I continuously run everything (minus 12v, haven't needed it yet) and have had no problems with anything.
In switching into the horn, i opted to remove the wire clip, open the clamp that holds the hot wire and then crimp it back in instead of splicing into that wire.
My relays came from radio shack, $7 each i think. they have a mounting tab which i used to fix them with the two screws just above the battery.
I mounted my switches for the heaters and accessory lights on the left dash, and the 12v on the right dash.

PhilS
08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
For those of you, like me, who bought a Garmin capable GPS mount from a guy on Ebay, I fixed mine. It came with non-stainless steel screws but they were 1/4x28x5/8. I had a heck of a time finding them, so I ordered 10. If you want a few for yours, PM me and I will send them to you free.

PhilS

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GPSscrews001.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GPSscrews002.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/GPSscrews003.jpg

PhilS
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi guys:

Eastern Beaver has modified the 3-fuse circuit set up to add in the Bandit 1200/1250 tail light relay switch in the harness. It can be found at:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Bandit/bandit.html.

I will order all my stuff Feb 1 and post the complete wiring of the dual sockets, GPS wiring, etc, etc.

Later - Phil