• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

7 Die at Myrtle Beach Rally; New Record

Reaction score
By Erin Reed
The Sun News

Two bikers Saturday became the sixth and seventh fatalities of this year's Harley-Davidson rally, which officials say may set a record.

"I don't recall ever having more than five," Horry County Coroner Robert Edge said.

Jay Jarman, 35, of Durham, N.C., died about 8 a.m. after a 3 a.m. hit-and-run at 2700 N. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach, Horry County Coroner Robert Edge said.

In the second incident, a female passenger on a motorcycle died about 11 p.m. after a wreck on 12th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach. Her name was not released.

In the first, an unknown vehicle collided with the victim's motorcycle and left the scene, said Myrtle Beach police Cpl. Tony Mitchell. Police are still searching for the suspect.

Law enforcement officials have no explanation for this year's rally possibly being the deadliest in the 63-year history of the Carolina Harley-Davidson Dealers Association Myrtle Beach Rally.

However, they aren't necessarily surprised at the number of fatalities.

"We try not to have any," said Trooper 1st Class Ashley Mew with the S.C. Highway Patrol. "But each year, you have more people turn out, and you expect that more collisions are going to take place with the increase in people."

Two days of rain also could have contributed.

"You have to take into consideration the weather this year," Mitchell said.

In the first six deaths during the 10-day rally, no one was wearing a helmet, police said.

S.C. law does not require bikers 21 years and older to wear helmets.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/sunnews/news/local/5888861.htm

I hate to hear the bad news and I hate it even more to hear that no helmets were involved in the deaths. My first ride on a dirt bike involved an unexpected wheelie and a subsequent skid down the pavement sans helmet and gear. I guess I kind of knew better than to ride without one, but figured I'd be okay. After chewing some concrete with my face, I can't imagine why someone would even *WANT TO* ride without a helmet. Truly tragic. My heart goes out to their families. As bad as it sounds, I hope their untimely passings motivate some of thier riding buddies to wise up and start wearing helmets.

Ride safe

As bad as it sounds, I hope their untimely passings motivate some of thier riding buddies to wise up and start wearing helmets.

It has been my experience that this is highly unlikely. I am often blown away by some of the things I hear people say about helmets and safety, or even better, the use of the front brake!! It simply amazes me how many riders out there have not taken any time at all to educate themselves concerning how motorcycles handle, what they are capabale of doing, and how to learn the skills necessary to get the most out of them. I am not talking about how to go fast. I am talking about how to swerve hard, without wrecking, to avoid hitting something. Or how to brake HARD to keep from hitting something. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard someone say, "I had to lay it down to...[fill in the blank]" It has been repeatedly shown that in 99 out of 100 cases this is usually the worst thing to do. Nonetheless, some of these motorcycling myths endure and refuse to die off.

:tab Unlike cars or trucks, motorcycles are not very forgiving. If you do the wrong thing, you will be very lucky if you don't get burned. I'm astounded how few people realize this. :-|

Back