• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

03 sv 1000

Reaction score
First Name
ray
Last Name
loynes
I am looking at buying a 03 sv1000 I rode it and was very impressed but do not know anybody who has owned one or ridden one for a while. From what I have found on the net ,85% bs 15% fact if you are lucky, it is a reliable and fun to ride bike. I noticed it liked to stand up but I think that could could be controlled pretty easily. good or bad it would be great to get some actual ride time experience feedback.
Thanks Ray

I've never heard one bad thing about them. All the time that I had an SV650 in the garage and surfed the SVrider.com pages I only heard good things about them.

Yes, it will have a few minor little issues, but every bike on the planet has those.

do they offer taller bars so as ease up on the back a little.

Yes.... look up either converti-bars, or heli-bars for options.

I am looking at buying a 03 sv1000 I rode it and was very impressed but do not know anybody who has owned one or ridden one for a while. From what I have found on the net ,85% bs 15% fact if you are lucky, it is a reliable and fun to ride bike. I noticed it liked to stand up but I think that could could be controlled pretty easily. good or bad it would be great to get some actual ride time experience feedback.
Thanks Ray

There is a 1000 forum call the sv1000 portal. There is alot of good info there

Owner of Motorcycles Unlimited put together a Mac Daddy SV1000 with Ohlins front racing forks and read shock along with other tidy bits. Maybe a call to them for some advice?

Noah

I rode an '03 for 2 years and put 11k sport riding miles on it. I loved it for what it was: a budget sport bike. Having since ridden other bikes ('05 ZX-10R, '06 Hayabusa, '05 GSX-R750, '06 Speed Triple) I now know that there are far better handling rides out there. But, the SV remains a very good bang-for-the-buck ride. It's short coming is its suspension. I also suggest visiting the SV portal for more information. http://www.sv-portal.com/

I have an 06 SV1KS. It's a great bike: good handling (just as good as the VFR), excellent torque, great reliability, and good ergos (nearly the same as the stock VFR). The 03 was the first year model of the SV1K, so make sure it's been well maintained. The only real issue with that year model was a "knock" from the lower end. When you go to look at it, get it up to temp and listen. If it has it, you'll know.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

I got it plenty hot ,and it has 13,800 miles so it is well broke in, but the only thing I heard was the good sound of a healthy v-twin.

Hey Chris is that knock you referred to the dreaded "Idle Hammer?"

i am also in the market for the 03 sv1000 naked. only year they imported the non S one. i think the engine is bullet proof and with all the sv's on the road racking up miles proves the bikes ruggedness.
for a clean 03 naked expect to pay 3900 to 4500. i have been shopping around and thats what # keeps coming up. i did make an offer on one today, we'll see.

I like my nakid one. Has Leo Vinces, Power commander, throttlemeister and small Givi windscreen now. Was thinking about selling it recently but just cannot part with her torque.

Back