PDA

View Full Version : Loud in Neutral with Clutch Out

etcthorne
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Are these bikes always noisy while in neutral with the clutch out, or will it get quieter as it breaks in? It almost sounds like a manual transmission car with a bad throw-out bearing. Any thoughts?

My bike has right at 200 miles on it now. Yes, I'm embarrassed that I've had it for three weeks now and have only 200 miles on it, so don't hassle me.:mrgreen:

GregH
01-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I've had my Bandit, in the faster Black color, since APR-08 and will cross 4,000 miles tomorrow. On a Bandit, all the miles are good miles.

Mine doesn't have a loud noise when in neutral. If it's really bad I would suggest running back to the dealer.

PhilS
01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Are these bikes always noisy while in neutral with the clutch out, or will it get quieter as it breaks in? It almost sounds like a manual transmission car with a bad throw-out bearing. Any thoughts?

My bike has right at 200 miles on it now. Yes, I'm embarrassed that I've had it for three weeks now and have only 200 miles on it, so don't hassle me.:mrgreen:

Three things helped cure mine:

1) I got 600+ miles on it and it broke in a bit.
2) I changed the oil and added XR-1 and that quieted things down a bit.
3) I wear an iPod.

Seriously though, it'll really quiet up in a thousand miles or so. It's all normal.

Phil

suzukijo
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
i'll bet using the centerstand the noise is less.

PhilS
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
i'll bet using the centerstand the noise is less.

Ok, I give - why?

suzukijo
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
the noise is clutch basket end play, on the centerstand, it doesnt bounce side to side like it does on the sidestand, try it.

Roy
01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Mine Bandit is a bit noisey in nuetral at idle clutch out, I don't worry about it.

Ya want to hear noisey come listen to my RM-Z450 at idle :eek2: you'd swear the thing is about to explode into pieces, it runs like a raped ape though :rider:

dwoodul
01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I have around 210 miles on mine and it's slightly noisy in neutral and idling. Itís supposed to warm up some here over the weekend so Iíll try to get some more miles on it Sat/Sun.

Hey Roy, is that X1-R the additive from Holeshot? Iíd like to try some in my Bandit when I get a few more miles on it.

Ol Dave+

etcthorne
01-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks guys. Suzukijo: I'll give your suggestion a try today and get back to you. Going to be fairly decent weather for January in Virginia this weekend - 50+ degrees and sunny both days, so I should get some miles in.

Keep two wheels down!

terrebandit
01-05-2008, 06:48 AM
If your clutch ain't out, that means you're not riding. Make yourself feel better by letting the clutch out more and listening to wind-noise instead.

KenB
01-06-2008, 06:35 AM
It seems all Suzukis have a tendency to be a little clattery in neutral with the clutch out. I've heard it on many others so whatever the design is, it's not limited to the Bandit.

etcthorne
01-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks KenB. I'm beginning to think it's normal as well. Hope you're getting some riding in up there in New York. I suspect you're snowed in?

KenB
01-06-2008, 06:46 AM
We are at the moment but the jetstream will be smiling on us this week -- low 60's by Wednesday! Mid-winter ride time. :)

Roy
01-06-2008, 09:33 AM
We are at the moment but the jetstream will be smiling on us this week -- low 60's by Wednesday! Mid-winter ride time. :)

gonna be 74 degrees here today :rider:

Willie
01-06-2008, 11:12 AM
As Roy pointed out the RMZ is very noisy. The one thing in common between the RMZ and the Bandit is straight cut primary gears. NOT saying this is the problem or source of the noise! Staight cut gears are nosier than helical gears. I have noticed the noise as mention by others (clutch in it goes away, clutch out it's there). The old T500/350/305/250 twins had the same issue and Suzuki sent a tech bulletin to dealers that addressed the length of the clutch sleeve. It was a relatively easy fix on the T series.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techbuls/SerBulletin%20General%2010-18.pdf
Scroll down to bulletin #15 and it wil explain the issue that existed then. The main difference is that the old twins used Helical cut gears.
Willie

Willie
01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
OK I guess I killed this thread.............

A1A
01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I love mechanical and noisy!:mrgreen:

:rider:

gotdurt
01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Every bike I've owned was at least a little noisy without pressure on the clutch (neutral), some more than others... should have heard my Triumph 955i. My DR650 is pretty bad too and has been since I bought it 12k miles ago when it was still in the break-in period.

suzukijo
01-09-2008, 09:42 PM
nagging criticisms about a normal noise, like clutch basket rattle is not based on some deficiency in the design or a valid complaint.

many of the old bikes, simply had a spring on the backside of the basket to keep it from rattling at idle, which is not really a problem, as some would promote.

reading some of the comments about how 'too quiet' the exhaust noise is, when in reality it is unbelievably loud, without a muffler, those complaints are not valid either. but contrastingly, complain about some normal noise, made quiet? go figure.

the efforts made by suzuki as a manufacturer, to eliminate noise, from gear whine, engine case vibration, intake/exhaust noise, vibration from other items, should be hailed as a serious achievement.

the noisiest bike i ever heard was the honda 250 six cylinder.
from a half mile away, its was so loud it hurt my ears. close up, even grown men held their hands cupped over their ears, unable to listen without grimicing. in contrast, the bandit gsf1250 is sweetly quiet.
maybe too quiet for some, i even attached a louder muffler.

whitesands
03-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Just picked up a new bandit...Same thing, in neutral with the clutch out it makes alot of noise...Pull the clutch in and it goes away...Also, it's quiet on the center stand...Sounds like the clutch basket.

I've heard this is a common issue with big CC bikes...Alot of ZX14 owners experience this on their bikes but are told this is totally normal and absolutley nothing to worry about.

Other than that, the Bandit engine is very mechanically quiet.

MetrickMetal
03-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Don't sweat the clutch noise as its normal. The noise from my clutch when the clutch is pulled in has noticeably decreased with almost 7,000 miles on the bike over how loud it was when it was new, and as with all idiosyncrasies you always find in a new bike, you learn to accept them and live with it, and the noise really doesn't bother me any more. :rider:

Jack Giesecke
03-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Hmm, I was thinking you might ride a Ducati. :lol2: You want a noisy clutch, ride a bike with a dry clutch. Ducati and Yamaha TZs are all that come to mind, though. Rattles when you pull the clutch in.

I had a TZ250 whose basket was a bit worn. It would sometimes break the outside plate and parts would fly up and whack me in the arm and such. LOL It always finished the race, though, well, the clutch did. When I would seize it, it wouldn't.

Marc B
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
My clutch is the same noisey, less with clutch pulled and my pipes are gold as well as the can but not as much as the pipes, Man they sure get HOT.. my sons FZ1 motor is is much quieter.