• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heated Liner Newbie Review

Reaction score
It's been a little cold here in The Woodlands (27-40F) and windy for the past two weeks or so in the mornings. I was just tired riding either being cold or not being able to move due to the amount of layers I had to wear.

I broke down and ordered a Large SAE Warm N Safe Liner on Sunday night (www.warmnsafe.com) along with a single portable Heat Troller the device that controls the heat.

It arrived yesterday, so I washed the bike and hooked it up for today's ride, 15 minute install (10 to remove the seat with saddlebags on). The liner is sort of a thin windbreaker with wires inside that supposed to be snug fitting. Very nicely made with elastic wrists and lined collar for those who want to zip to the neck like me.

Anyhow I used it today under my 'stich over LS tee in 34F windy weather and did the Woodlands, Montgomery, 45, Woodlands tour at speeds of 35-105. I am hooked. I had to stop a few times to adjust as it was too low to compensate for the cold wind and ended up with 3/4 full on for toastyness the entire way.

I remember Scott had one for the AK tour and lot of friends of mine in the northeast have heated gear from assorted companies. I just never got any. I think of all the riding over the past decade when I was cold and miserable and what this one liner would have meant and just kick myself. I think of the decent riding days that turned scary when the sun went down and the temperature dropped, DOH!

If you are on the fence, buy one locally, order one online or try someone elses, don't be a cold idiot like me. I cannot comment on any particular company or gear other than this one liner, but if it's heated that's the first step.

Noah

It's been a little cold here in The Woodlands (27-40F) and windy for the past two weeks or so in the mornings. I was just tired riding either being cold or not being able to move due to the amount of layers I had to wear.

I broke down and ordered a Large SAE Warm N Safe Liner on Sunday night (www.warmnsafe.com) along with a single portable Heat Troller the device that controls the heat.

It arrived yesterday, so I washed the bike and hooked it up for today's ride, 15 minute install (10 to remove the seat with saddlebags on). The liner is sort of a thin windbreaker with wires inside that supposed to be snug fitting. Very nicely made with elastic wrists and lined collar for those who want to zip to the neck like me.

Anyhow I used it today under my 'stich over LS tee in 34F windy weather and did the Woodlands, Montgomery, 45, Woodlands tour at speeds of 35-105. I am hooked. I had to stop a few times to adjust as it was too low to compensate for the cold wind and ended up with 3/4 full on for toastyness the entire way.

I remember Scott had one for the AK tour and lot of friends of mine in the northeast have heated gear from assorted companies. I just never got any. I think of all the riding over the past decade when I was cold and miserable and what this one liner would have meant and just kick myself. I think of the decent riding days that turned scary when the sun went down and the temperature dropped, DOH!

If you are on the fence, buy one locally, order one online or try someone elses, don't be a cold idiot like me. I cannot comment on any particular company or gear other than this one liner, but if it's heated that's the first step.

Noah

Yeah, heated gear is the only way to go. It will spoil you a little but what's more important is it lets you confidently and comfortably and lets not forget safely ride in temps you wouldn't consider before. All this time I thought it was about being tough.

Just how did you hook up the power? I am interested in getting a vest also. tired of getting cold.

They come with a harness that attaches to the battery, but I run mine (Gerbings) to an auxiliary fuse block.

Just how did you hook up the power? I am interested in getting a vest also. tired of getting cold.

I originally considered just the vest instead of the full liner... my ride over Christmas this past year changed my mind.

Jess and I rode to Dallas over Christmas from SW Houston and the temp, when the sun went down, was about 35 degrees and we were riding about 85mph. We decided that night we had to buy heated gear or there was no more riding in the cold because it was too painful. We called ahead to Maxim Honda in Allen TX and asked if they'd stay open for us. We bought the Gerbing heated gear (jacket liner, gloves, and dual troller) because no amount of layering can keep you warm in those temps + windchill. And I have to give some props to that Honda shop, they stayed open for us too and we were 45 minutes past closing time on a Sat on our arrival to their shop. They stayed open till almost 7 for us to size, purchase, install, and head back out into the cold night for the rest of our ride on to Greenville.

I have to say, the warmth flowing to my hands and arms was awesome. I'm so glad I didn't just get the vest, I got the full liner and it has a neck warmer too. To be able to feel my hands again that night WAS AWESOME! I had each control set to only 1/4 of the full available heat and stayed really toasty. The heat was instant and all over.

The ride home the next morning was the same outside temp, however, we would have had no idea there was coldness all around us (except we felt it when we flipped open our lids). We were absolutely comfortable and decided to take an even longer route back to Houston because we were enjoying the ride so much by that point.

All in all, I'd drop that chunk of change again in a heartbeat to combat those temps. Now I'm not afraid to ride in cold weather.

I look back now on all the freezing trips to Dallas I've taken and could kick myself for not having bought this stuff sooner.

Noah

Defineately one of the few pieces of gear that once you get it, you can not understand why you waited so long to get one.

BTW - The jacket is the only way to go

Back