• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installed the Givi yesterday

Reaction score
Thanks GregH for the pix... As I got the old screen off, found out the jack***** at the dealer who installed it put the screws in the bottom of the shield in the opposite direction as they were putting the fairing on (screw heads facing the outside of the fairing instead of facing inward). This made it almost impossible to get the screws out without disassembling the whole fairing. Luckily I could pull it up just far enough to get an allen wrench on the screw head without breaking the plastic. Since they put it in backward, I think the screen holes were not riding on the rubber grommet, thereby causing the infuriating vibration I was feeling. Once the Givi was installed (correctly, I might add), all vibrations are gone.

Anyway, the rest of the install was straighforward. Went for a 5 minute ride down the highway and reached about 60mph - wind now hits me at the bottom of my full-face helmet (I'm 6'0"). Obviously no wind on the chest anymore. Seems nice. I'll write more about this later.

Thanks guys - love this forum.

Glad you like it alright and sorry to hear about the minor install hiccup.
I'm really glad I changed to the Givi, as well. I also had a Givi shield on my Wee Strom and really liked it too. Its my opinion the Givi shield should be standard equipment from the factory on both the Bandit 1250 and the Wee Strom.

:rider:

A1A: One interesting thing I noticed, and should have predicted, is that there is now more down-force on my wrists from not being held up by the wind. Trade-off for less wind, I guess. I think I'm going to like it, long-term. I do need to remember to pick up some foam ear plugs though.

I never really paid that much attention to the wrist. Guess I was just happy to get the wind blast off my chest.
To take a little pressure off your wrist during braking. Just squeeze your legs a little tighter against the fuel tank. I think you will get use to the added pressure on the wrist.
I have to be honest though, I really didn't notice this issue at all.

:rider:

Thanks GregH for the pix... As I got the old screen off, found out the jack***** at the dealer who installed it put the screws in the bottom of the shield in the opposite direction as they were putting the fairing on (screw heads facing the outside of the fairing instead of facing inward). This made it almost impossible to get the screws out without disassembling the whole fairing. Luckily I could pull it up just far enough to get an allen wrench on the screw head without breaking the plastic. Since they put it in backward, I think the screen holes were not riding on the rubber grommet, thereby causing the infuriating vibration I was feeling. Once the Givi was installed (correctly, I might add), all vibrations are gone.

Anyway, the rest of the install was straighforward. Went for a 5 minute ride down the highway and reached about 60mph - wind now hits me at the bottom of my full-face helmet (I'm 6'0"). Obviously no wind on the chest anymore. Seems nice. I'll write more about this later.

Thanks guys - love this forum.

Same thing happened to mine. Dealer idiot totally screwed up a very easy procedure. He even left out my top two fairing mount screw which to date I still have not got from the dealer. My rubber wellnuts were missing in action as well. I had some on hand thank goodness. I had to use two screws from a previous GSXR I had, when I raced I collected those type screws.

Hi Roy;
Don't feel lonesome re: the fairing sholder bolts left off.
I discovered the same situation when I installed my Givi Screen 3 months ago.
I ordered them at that time and as of yet have not received them.
Brent

Good job on getting the new screen installed. Of course, we don't believe it's really on since...
...we don't have any pics! :nono:

Back