PDA

View Full Version : Rough Shifting? Clean Your Chain!!!

etcthorne
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, it's been a while since I had a chain driven bike. 450 miles on 2007 1250S Bandito now (can't wait to change the oil....already bought the OEM filter and a gallon of M rated Kawasaki 10W-40 <didn't have Suzuki, like it matters>).

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Bike was shifting noticeably louder the last hundred miles or so. Took a good look at the chain and sprockets - very dirty. Now I don't ride in rain or mud, so I was a little shocked. Whatever that chain grease crap is they put on at manufacture is a dirt magnet!!!!

Got a trusty spray bottle filled with Kerosene, a stiff brush, and cleaned that sucker good. Wiped her down and took a one mile spirited ride to fling the extra Kerosene off that I couldn't catch with my rags. Gets the chain nice and warm too - necessary for good penetration of the lube :rofl:

Put two nice coats of PJ1 chain lube (clear) on. Let 'er dry for about 15 minutes, and went for another ride. Night and day difference in shift loudness! Smooth as silk and QUIET!!!!!!

Chain that chain often, boys!

Tracker
01-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Good advice. I thought the tranny on my Triple was coming apart--ended up being a stiff link and worn chain.

suzukijo
01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Put two nice coats of PJ1 chain lube (clear) on. Let 'er dry for about 15 minutes, and went for another ride. Night and day difference in shift loudness! Smooth as silk and QUIET!!!!!!Chain that chain often, boys!

how bout a couple pics of what it looks like now, and without cleaning in a couple thousand miles later?
i too can tell a noise difference after simply lubing my chain.
and similar to washing my car, after cleaning my chain, both get faster.
(almost as if i magically painted it black)

kurt
01-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Worn oil has a noticeable effect on shifting too. Is it too late to exchange the oil?

SoCalBandit
02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
If you guys want a ZERO fling lube, try MOTOREX 622 "STRONG", make sure the label says "Strong". (they make two different kinds)

txbanditrydr
02-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I like fling... keeps the chain clean. :thumb: