• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If you don't already have a radiator guard htis might change your mind

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
If you don't already have a radiator guard this might change your mind

I took two rocks into the radiator today on a spirited ride following a couple of bikes. The Cox radiator guard has already paid for itself as you can see in the pics attached. One rock in the lower left hand corner was huge and would have left the big Bandit stopped dead in her tracks because this rock would have went through the radiator for sure. The other was on the right side about in the middle not really visible in the pic but a dent non the less. Yes we were on pavment, modern day street tires are quite tacky and pick up stones very easy. I already knew this and that is why I contacted cox to make a guard for the Bandit in the beginning. Best $90 bucks spent so far. See for your self below.
Suzukidoublebubblescreen006.jpg

Suzukidoublebubblescreen007.jpg

If you don't already have one I would say you are living on borrowed time the Bandit 1250 radiator is very vunerable to road debris.

Last edited:
You don't need to be riding in a "spirited" fashion to take a rock through the radiator of most water cooled bikes. Even at low speeds, if you happen to hit one at the right (wrong?) angle, it can be propelled into the radiator at a speed high enough to puncture it.

Personally, I don't leave home without mine (radiator guard) :)

You don't need to be riding in a "spirited" fashion to take a rock through the radiator of most water cooled bikes. :)

True, I was be melodramatic :rider:

I was tickled pink when I looked to see the damage and was happy to see the guard worked, like I knew it would. I knew I had been hit because I also felt an impact in the knee through my riding suit.

Roy,

I was wondering if the rocks were throwed up from the rear tires of the bikes in front of you or from other traffic on the road?

:pirate:

Roy,

I was wondering if the rocks were throwed up from the rear tires of the bikes in front of you or from other traffic on the road?

:pirate:

Richard the bike in front of me threw up the stones. Common around these parts with the crappy way they build roads and todays tires being so tacky. I have had it happen to other bikes that is why all my bikes have a radiator guard. Most everyone I ride with has one also. I am glad I had it on. I can pound the indention flat once I take the guard off for some reason in the future. I am not going to the trouble to remove it right now just to mash out the dent. One whack from a rubber mallet will have it good as new again.:mrgreen:

There is absoulutely NO damage to the radiator.:rider:

Ok Roy, thanks for sharing the information and the pictures of the dents in the radiator screen. I guess I should look into some protection for my raditor.

:rider:

I was looking at the ones they are selling on Ebay and wondering the effectiveness and thickness. Look more of a pretty item to me.

I want that and sliders. Anyone? I saw Holeshots and the ones on twisted throttle, anyone else?

Glad to see the Cox Guard is working. I bought mine the first week he made them available. Thanks for getting that little project set up for us, Roy.

I took the guard off today and flattened the dents out. Took about 5 minutes to do and it looks like new again. Great product!!

Back