• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barrierless HOV lanes

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Blaschke
Well, it finally happened, I have been expecting it for awhile. I-10 on the west side of town has extentions to the enclosed HOV lanes that run along where the inside shoulder should be. Inbound it starts just west of Mason road and runs to HW 6.
During the normal morning commute, the traffic on I-10 travels at about 80mph until it hits the wall. That is where things come to a grinding halt. This spot varies with the time of the day, the weather, day of the week, and a million other factors I have no idea what they are.

Anyway, when travelling the HOV lane I am always leary of people ignoring the legal entance and exit areas of the HOV lane. People do it all the time. Trying to get ahead.

This morning where the traffic started, a guy in a tan Crown Victoria was not paying attention ahead of the car in front of him. When everyone slammed on their brakes, he noticed too late that he needed to stop. So, he did what they have always taught us in all forms of driver education. Look for an escape route. Well, his escape route was to the left where the shoulder should be. Right into my path. Luckily for both of us I was watching the traffic. And he pulled over far enough in front of me where it was only a mild scare. I could tell he felt bad about it. He kept going in the HOV lane until he could find a way back into his lane.

Not long after he was out of the way, an Infiniti SUV decided the traffic was too slow in the normal lanes, so he decided to take a ride in the HOV lane. Again, due to the diparity in speeds, they didn't see me coming and pulled out about 200 yards in front of me. Again, it was not a problem, more of an irritation.

Moral of the story is, if you are blasting past traffic, some car is going to follow the path of least resistance and pull in front of you. Keep your eyes open. There are easier ways to wake up in the morning.

I like the concept of the divider-less HOV because it gives more (legal) on and off options, but it relies heavily on drivers' ability to follow those rules to kee it safe and moving.

I guess we'll see how long this lasts....

I've had it happen a couple of times heading south on 35E towards Dallas. Traffic was stop & go in the main traffic lanes, and people just got froggy about getting themselves moving. Luckily I'm pretty paranoid about my belief that I'm the only person on the road who isn't, uh, what's the PC term for "retarded" these days?

Really, though, with the way I'm used to seeing cars going 60 in the HOV lane while traffic 3 feet away is stop & go, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents from people doing 2mph suddenly jumping the line. Makes me wish I had some nice red & blue flashers on my bike.

I wear a HiViz Roadcrafter with HID and low beam lights shining. Most people have told me the lights really help visibility.

When a person swerves to avoid the car in front of them, they rarely check over their shoulder.

1. Any real cops give you grief about wearing that jacket?
2. Are they available for sale?
3. Are they armored at all, or just a jacket?

Good one Matt..just try it in the dark next time, no need for a night light :dude:

Sleepy, more like "The Gatso has you going at well over, what's your story then?"

Brian..
1. Never had any grief, had a few jokes though
2. It's an official British Gov't Issue London area Duty Jacket, but you can get some like it.
3. It's just an overjacket, so I can put it over my mesh,leather, or any other gear

Tom...still have the `66 Corvair, though it needs a cylinder jug replaced.

Wow, I thought Ralph Nader personally destroyed all the Corvairs to protect us. Nice looking car.

I like all the reflective tape on the Jacket.

You can really see the Stitch at night with just a stripe across the back and pieces on the legs.

Bet you glow on when ever peoples headlights are on.

One of these days I'll have someone else wear the jacket at night so I can see what it looks like :chug: ...and ya know how Nader the Nazi brought the bad juju on the Corvair? :angryfir: He cut the springs in half so they'd fail under stress!!

The first Yenko Performance cars in the 60's, were Covrair "Stingers", everything else came after 8-)

if anyone wants reflective tape for their gear or bikes, check out http://www.identi-tape.com

Back