• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smokey Startup and Ride

Reaction score
I posted another thread about my oil change, and after changed it, I didn't ride anymore that day. By draping the plastic bag over the pipes under the filter, it looked as though I caught all of it.

Boy, was I wrong. Rode about 20 miles today and stopped for a break. Smoke was coming off of the cat converter and pipes. I smelled the strong scent of hot oil. Thought my Bandito was going to become a crispy Bandito. Nothing was leaking out - no oil pressure light, and the oil level was still spot on at "F". The smoke subsided a bit, and I got back on and rode about 30 miles back to the house (different route home). When I got home - no smoke, but still a bit of an oil smell.

Next time around, it's the "wrap everything in foil" and clean better than I did this time routine. Boy, what a heart pounding few minutes though.

Oh, shifting.... much quieter after the oil change, and remember I did scrub and re-oil the chain too.

Next time, just get some brake cleaner in a rattle can and spray off the pipes and area around the base of the filter.

Back