PDA

View Full Version : Tank seam improvement

MetrickMetal
01-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I've always hated the dreaded tank seams that come on a lot of Japanese motorcycles, so why I had the tank off checking my spark plugs and air cleaner, I decided to see if I could find some decent looking black edge trim to put around the bottom edge of the tank seam.

I called up the local automotive paint supply house, and sure enough they had some nice looking self adhesive U shaped edge trim which was only .94 cents a foot.

I cleaned the edge of the tank with alcohol, and took the tank inside and let it and the edge trim warm up so it would adhere well. It goes completely around the bottom edge of the tank, and IMHO, its looks way better than the exposed tank seam does. :rider:

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080121/f/0/9/f09150acbf3a699c569bb24321c6525e0_large.jpg

scar04
01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Looks good.

MetrickMetal
01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks good.

Thanks, and this is not a new idea, as people have been installing edge trim on seamed gas tanks for quite a few years.

PhilS
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks neat. My experience with seam covers or trim pieces that face upward is that moisture will collect over time from whatever source and then the inevitable sets in. That would be my only caution......but it looks cool.

MetrickMetal
01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks neat. My experience with seam covers or trim pieces that face upward is that moisture will collect over time from whatever source and then the inevitable sets in. That would be my only caution......but it looks cool.

I hear ya, but I have never heard of anybody having rust develope with using edge trim, as the tank is still painted, and there is no exposed metal, and besides I live in the desert. ;-)

SRADkneedragger
01-21-2008, 06:44 PM
the problem actually isn't the moisture.:ponder:
The problem is actually blow dust.
What happens is that dust settles in the crack, then when moisture is introduced the dust turns to mud and takes forever to evaporate. So basically it works like a damp sponge. This was a problem with body trim on many automobiles as the dust would settle into the crevices and then when there was a rain it stood in there as mud forever. The result a nice clean rust free car with rust around the windows. I would think in this case though the glue would seal the moisture out.
SRAD

MetrickMetal
01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
the problem actually isn't the moisture.:ponder:
The problem is actually blow dust.
What happens is that dust settles in the crack, then when moisture is introduced the dust turns to mud and takes forever to evaporate. So basically it works like a damp sponge. This was a problem with body trim on many automobiles as the dust would settle into the crevices and then when there was a rain it stood in there as mud forever. The result a nice clean rust free car with rust around the windows. I would think in this case though the glue would seal the moisture out.
SRAD

SRAD,

The trim I used has a very agressive U shape to it, so that the top edges are really held tight against the tank, so I don't think much moisture if any will be able to get in between the trim and the tank.