• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Glen Springs Rd., Big Bend

Hi Elzi, South end is loose smaller gravel, North end is loose larger gravel/rock. Very little steep elevation change.

BigBend02-07032_800.jpg

BigBend02-07029_800.jpg

Should see some of these next month in GSR.
BigBend02-07033_800.jpg

Thank you, Tom!
That kind of feedback helps me plan for an intended ride next month. Looks like the Sherpa will do just fine on it.

Tentative plan: S Old Ore Rd --> W on east end of River Rd --> Mariscal Mine, turn around --> N Glen Springs Rd. --> paved park road = dualsport ride in BB Park (will include Old Maverick Rd which I already rode last trip).
Stopping for photos at the major historical and natural landmarks.

Thank you, Tom!
That kind of feedback helps me plan for an intended ride next month. Looks like the Sherpa will do just fine on it.

Tentative plan: S Old Ore Rd --> W on east end of River Rd --> Mariscal Mine, turn around --> N Glen Springs Rd. --> paved park road = dualsport ride in BB Park (will include Old Maverick Rd which I already rode last trip).
Stopping for photos at the major historical and natural landmarks.

Looks like fun. Hope you are not planning on doing this ride solo.:eek2:

Nephews did it last week on an 1150 Adv and a 12 Adv. Said with the big pigs it was ...uhhh.....enough. :giveup: Oh, they made it, fully loaded bags and all, but you could tell that they had "expended substantial energy". The Oilman and I were back in the Winnebago with Marlin while Jim wrestled the alligator (actually we were riding up to the Basin and enjoying a bench behind the bear proof trashcans but I thought the Mutual of Omaha reference was a good one.;).) On your Sherpa I bet you'll do much better. They'd have traded with you that day. They thought the River Road section they ran was substantially easier. I'll see if I can get Justin1889 to post.

That would be a good "all day " loop!
Juniper Canyon is a nice "out & back" road that runs off Glenn Springs
between Black Gap and Rio Grande Village Drive if time permits,,
runs towards the base of the mountains as in the picture below,,,
Pine Canyon is just above it and a little shorter but a good ride also.

Attachments

• Terlingua 2007 059.jpg
    Terlingua 2007 059.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 232
  • Terlingua 2007 071.jpg
    Terlingua 2007 071.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Terlingua 2007 072.jpg
    Terlingua 2007 072.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Terlingua 2007 057.jpg
    Terlingua 2007 057.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 262
The first part of south Glen Springs isn't something I'd do again on a loaded down GS adventure on tourances. My brother's 1150 adventure on TKC's had a little mishap when a nasty Ocotillo cactus tried to jump out and rip him off his bike. Luckily at the last minute he dodged it and hit the 10 inches of pea gravel in the middle of Glen springs that ultimately whooped his ***. :mrgreen:

LOL. The boys describe the flora as overhanging the Glen Springs road , road = two ruts with a median of even worse stuff, and everything had a thorn, needle, or sticker. Aaah, the desert. Don't you just love it? I do. We'll be back. Winter riding at it's best.

Post a picture of the pigs in the desert, justin1889. I would if I had a clue. Maybe I could e-mail some to somebody and they could size them? Of course, I don't know how to do that either. :(

Couple pics

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 235
On your Sherpa I bet you'll do much better. They'd have traded with you that day. They thought the River Road section they ran was substantially easier.
Heheh. I was told the very east end of RR was easy as.... ice cream. I think the Sherpa will be fine on GS Rd, too.

That would be a good "all day " loop!
Juniper Canyon is a nice "out & back" road that runs off Glenn Springs
between Black Gap and Rio Grande Village Drive if time permits,,
runs towards the base of the mountains as in the picture below,,,
Pine Canyon is just above it and a little shorter but a good ride also.
I thought (aka read in the brochure) that no vehicles 'could' go on both Pine and Juniper Canyon roads? Only hiking is allowed, according to the brochure.

Thanks all for the input and photos.

Now, if anyone with a 650cc or above dualsport would like to join us on all or part of this route next month (David????), let me know. I'd like to include a larger bike than our 250's to show (via photo and in article content) that this route is navigable and enjoyable by both small and larger DS bikes.

Let me know.

You can ride up to the trail heads on Pine and Juniper Canyons. Here's my buddy Bill leaving Pine Canyon.

BigBend02-07023_800.jpg

Heheh. I was told the very east end of RR was easy as.... ice cream. I think the Sherpa will be fine on GS Rd, too.

I thought (aka read in the brochure) that no vehicles 'could' go on both Pine and Juniper Canyon roads? Only hiking is allowed, according to the brochure.

Thanks all for the input and photos.

Now, if anyone with a 650cc or above dualsport would like to join us on all or part of this route next month (David????), let me know. I'd like to include a larger bike than our 250's to show (via photo and in article content) that this route is navigable and enjoyable by both small and larger DS bikes.

Let me know.

I'm thinking about bringing both my WR250 and my Transalp, so I may have a 650cc one for that ride. I've ridden the northern most part of Glen Springs on my DRZ, and gone east on River Road, north on Black Gap to Glenn Springs, then back down to River road on my DRZ. Shouldn't be a problem for the Sherpa.

I have ridden Glenn Springs from Black Gap to the highway , its 50+ most of the way on the 950 . I dont know if I will make it out for RTR or not , if I do I will bring my little bike in my little truck and motel it , the big truck is ill right now and I cant get in my shop to work on it . SEYA

But David, what would those same roads be like on the GC with your bags full running those 90/10 Pirelli's our's came with?

(Congratulations, Justin. You have brought your family great joy .You are the first to post a trip pic online. Your name will live forever.)

We rode all of the DS type roads in BB on KLRs and I don't remember any of them being more than lightly moderate on a DS bike.

On a Vstrom I would not recommend riding out there alone. The sand is murder on a Vstrom and the washboard roads make it feel like it will come apart. It may if you ride long enough....

We had to turn back about 7 miles into a 60 mile washboard/sandy road at Toroweap overlook last summer, because the Vstroms were not cooperating well. I was on one and I consider myself a proficient DS rider.

On a Super Sherpa nothing in BB will stop you.

I rode Ore rd and Pinto canyon a few years back before I found out the GC really isn't the worlds best DS bike . I can go much faster with the 950 , it has a scenry problum though , all I see is the road in front of me . SEYA

Yeah, I rode Cinnamon Pass out of Silverton during the snowmelt on my GC fully loaded on those Pirelli's. It was all I wanted. Seventy pounds heavier (thank you medicine) and now I can't negotiate close together speedbumps down to the Walmart. ;)

I dont know if I will make it out for RTR or not , if I do I will bring my little bike in my little truck and motel it , the big truck is ill right now and I cant get in my shop to work on it . SEYA
I hope you go, David. Would be nice to see you again and, after all, you are part of the Desert Rat Pack. It wouldn't be the same without you. And you'd miss out on blackberry cobbler. ;-)

Now, that would be cool. The Trans-alp is almost like having an Africa Twin with us (the bike I have always coveted; an AT.... *drool*)

Yep, I like the looks of the Africa Twins. They are even harder to find in the US. I also mis-spoke (mis-wrote?) It's only a 600cc. I got it for rides like this where I would have some pavement sections too. However seeing how many little bikes are going to be along makes we want to bring the WR, which I plated for short pavement runs and this would be a good test of it's roadworthiness.

Yep, I like the looks of the Africa Twins. They are even harder to find in the US. I also mis-spoke (mis-wrote?) It's only a 600cc. I got it for rides like this where I would have some pavement sections too. However seeing how many little bikes are going to be along makes we want to bring the WR, which I plated for short pavement runs and this would be a good test of it's roadworthiness.
650, 600, 450...... There's already enough 250's represented. Anything bigger than that would be fine. No matter; join us anyway.

I suspect (strongly) we will be stopping at the Chisos Lodge for cobbler and ice cream on the way back to Terlingua ;-) :rider: :eat:
(Clint Eastwood western music in the background, dust blowing, boots clicking, dirt-covered, helmeted riders walking in through the front door; mothers scrambling to pull their children in close, waitresses running for cover.... )

This ride will be during the Uncle's Ride the Rio trip February 21-24, 2008. The full details of the trip are in the Texas Adventure section of Dual Sport area here. This link will take you to the thread.

Back