• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Honda CB1100F?

As I said on another forum, if they don't stray too much from this concept, and if they don't price it out of the stratosphere, I'll buy one of these. I wish they would do a 4-into-2 symmetrical exhaust (one on each side), and I'm a little concerned about how small that gas tank looks, but I like the ABS (assuming they bring the ABS model here). I also don't like all that space between the rear tire and rear fender.

Alas, I suspect Honda will price it about $2,000 higher than the competition, and the marketing execs will sit around and wonder why nobody buys it.

Not bad, but I'd at least need a windscreen for hwy. riding. I guess that is an option?

Still waiting on the revised TransAlp to come here. Can't they see how many Vstroms are sold here? Geez....

Still waiting on the revised TransAlp to come here. Can't they see how many Vstroms are sold here? Geez....

There is a big thread on ADV about whether or not people would want to buy a Transalp. The concensus so far seems to be no. Don't know if Honda has been reading the thread...

As I said on another forum, if they don't stray too much from this concept, and if they don't price it out of the stratosphere, I'll buy one of these. I wish they would do a 4-into-2 symmetrical exhaust (one on each side), and I'm a little concerned about how small that gas tank looks, but I like the ABS (assuming they bring the ABS model here). I also don't like all that space between the rear tire and rear fender.

Alas, I suspect Honda will price it about $2,000 higher than the competition, and the marketing execs will sit around and wonder why nobody buys it.

Wooohooo!!! Good to know that I'm not the only one that thought that those 2 things needed to be fixed (exhaust and rear tire/fender relationship). I'll still probably end up with one if I can swing it financially.

I wish Kawasaki would follow suit and bring back a classic Z1 with today's technology.

Well, give them a little credit. They did get close:

ZRexWideLow.jpg

Well, give them a little credit. They did get close:

+1.:thumb: But I'm afraid that their next big bore standard will look like their current Z1000. Which looks like my five year-old designed it.

I'd definitely consider this Honda if I couldn't find a Rex in good condition. But you'd have to mod the heck out of it to make it a decent long distance ride.

But you'd have to mod the heck out of it to make it a decent long distance ride.

Isn't that sort of missing the whole point of a bike like this, though? This proposed bike is cast squarely in the "Standard" mode.

However, I'll make a prediction: if the CB1100F sells well (in its standard configuration), you will soon see a host of aftermarket accessories and parts made for it so the end user can turn it into any sort of bike he or she wants. Customized to ones individual tastes, as it were. I could just as easily see it turned into a cafe bike as a long-distance bagger.

The Zephyr line was available here also. In 550, 750, 1100 displacement. Air/oil cooled, and very, very nice looking. The 550 was my second bike. They were available in the late 80s/early 90s.

Zephyr (ZR1100) where available in japan as a new bike till 2006... they had two versions, one with cast wheels and one with spokes you can find a 1100 here if you look aroud for cheap ($1500-$2000)

kawasaki_zephyr1100_1024.jpg

Y-zeph1100.jpg

zephyr1100_06_ye.jpg

Not bad, but I'd at least need a windscreen for hwy. riding. I guess that is an option?

I was in Serbia and had a chance to sit on a Honda XL1000 (I think that is right) Veradero. Nice bike, and I would buy one in a heart beat. I am 5'-5" and was not flat-footed, but I did have a firm grip on the ground with both feet, and it was unmolested. I think it cost the guy $8000 (equivalent) new with hard bags. This one would sell like rubiks cubes in the 80's.

I almost bought a '93 Zephyr 750 a few years ago, but passed. Now I really wish I had've.

Mmmm, niiiice. There is something that is so right about a big Kawasaki standard. They've alway, always, always looked better than the Hondas and Zooks in my opinion. Sure, Big K made some stinkers along the way, but man the Z1, Z1-R ZR, ZRX, some of the KZs, the GPZ, they all just look right.

Here's one for sale. Not quite the deal that was mentioned earlier, but not too pricey.
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1993-Kawasaki-ZR1100-91041841

I was heavily exposed to big Kawi's at a tender young age.
Z1R002.jpg

I guess that's why I love this one so much.
BikeBath016.jpg

Methinks Honda is taking this whole retro thing rather seriously.

Is it retro if it's been in continous production for over 50 years? Yep, you're reading that web page right, folks - Honda has added fuel injection to the 2008 Super Cub!

Scoot safe,
Tom

It looks cool. Every few years, somebody comes out with a retro Japanese standard. I don't remember reading about any of them selling particularly well in the US. I liked the CB1000 from the mid 90s. But, I never took the time to test ride one, so I guess I wasn't completely in love with it.

VP726695_1.jpg

I was THIS close to closing the deal on a Big One (CB1000) before I bought the Rex. It's a really nice bike, and responds really well to modding. It was the styling that turned me away. As I said before, the styling of Honda standards has never been exactly right. They've never nailed like Kawasaki has. I mean just look at this:

ELR-1.jpg

ELR-2.jpg

Z1R-1.jpg

Z1R-2.jpg

Z1R-3.jpg

z1turbo15.jpg

Kaw-Zephyr550.jpg

Ahhh, this must be what heaven looks like.

OK, I'm really sorry about all this Kawasaki worship. Ya'll can get back to talking about H*ndas now.

:lol2:

The Z1-R was the first streetbike that I ever rode, in that same color blue. It was quite an eyeopener for a 16 year old coming off of enduro and MX bikes. Which back there there wasn't much difference between an enduro and MX bike, all an MX bike was an enduro with no lights, expansion chamber and more suspension travel.

Yup, the Z1R would go like stink, but God help you if you want to turn. :eek2:

Back