PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Billet Rack

MetrickMetal
01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I decided that instead of hard bags for trips, that I am was to make a custom billet aluminum rear rack to carry a small duffle bag to which I will attach a set of uprights to for attaching my T-Bag Lonestar travel bag, which sits nicely on my passenger seat.

I have used this very same combo on many long road trips throughout the western US on my 03 VTX 1800C, and it has worked quite well for me.

I machined up the mounting brackets on Tuesday, and I plan to machine up the top plate tomorrow. Then I will have a little hand finishing and polishing to perform, then I can install it and then design the upright / backrest that my T-Bag will slip over.

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080125/2/e/6/2e6b9748f43367886f72c7993d2e06540_large.jpg

Roy
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Looks nice! can't wait to see it on the bike.

I had a tubular OEM tail rack on my '99 Bandit 1200 way back when and only used softbags along with a tank bag back in the day. Simplicity at its finest.

GregH
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I would be really interested in a setup like that. Having the upright for the T-Bag would be great. (I would prefer this arrangement over hard racks and Givi cases.)

GregH
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice diagram, too, el Bandito. Are you an engineering-type?

MetrickMetal
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice diagram, too, el Bandito. Are you an engineering-type?

Yes, I have been designing industrial machinery over 20 years, as I was last employed for 28 years by Easton Sports Inc, which is now Easton Bell/Ridell until I was layed off on Oct 23rd, 2006 due to the fact that two years after the merger of Easton and Bell/Riddel, all manufacturing at the plant I worked at on Van Nuys Ca, went over to China.

I started at Easton as a Maintenance mechanic, even though I was actually a machinist, but after a couple of years I was able to get into the machine shop there, then after a few more years, I become a prototype machinist, and then I started to assemble the custom manufacturing equipment that we made in house, and I learned to do everything from electrical wiring to air and hydraulic circutry and components.

I then worked my way into the engineering dept, were I spent my last 15 years at Easton as a Project Eng, and I was responsible for designing and building many specialized pieces of machinery, as well as developing many complex and involved manufacturing processes from the ground up, in fact a lot of the machines I designed were shipped over to China.

Since I have been layed off, I have been kicking back and collecting UI and going to college on the states dime taking classes in Master Cam and Hass CNC Lathe and Mill operation and G-code programming, working towards a Machine Technology Certificate.

I have also been designing and building my own custom motorcycle parts for over 25 years, and I also make custom parts for Honda VTX 1800's and I am hoping to start making parts to sell for the new Bandit as well.

The rack is complete, and I am out in my garage right now doing the final hand sanding and then I will polish the 3 pieces and install it, I may also see how a scotch brite finish looks on it also, and its look just like the picture, only better. :rider:

dwoodul
01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
This may be a stupid question that you alluded to in your last post but are you thinking about producing these and offering them for sale to the group? I'd purchase one.

Regards,

Ol Dave

MetrickMetal
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
This may be a stupid question that you alluded to in your last post but are you thinking about producing these and offering them for sale to the group? I'd purchase one.

Regards,

Ol Dave

Dave,

There is a very good chance of that happening. :rider:

GregH
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for asking, Dave. I didn't want to crowd a guy who was just making a single as a hobby. But now that you've broken the ice...

Brass
01-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for asking, Dave. I didn't want to crowd a guy who was just making a single as a hobby. But now that you've broken the ice...

Interest is growing.

MetrickMetal
01-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Heres a picture of my new billet rack that I just finished installing. I am quite pleased with thw way it turned out, and all I have to do to finish is to mill a couple of 5/16" wide x 3/8" long slots on each back corner for hooking bungee cords to.

I sanded the pieces with 320 grit, followed by a medium scotch brite pad then I hit it them with Mothers aluminum polish to give them sort of a satiny finish for right now, as I may end up fully polishing them out. I may also see what it would cost to have the pieces clear anodized.

The next thing I have to work on is designing up my uprights that my T-Bag will slip over, and they will attach to the outside of the rack mounts using the same 8mm and 6mm mounting screws.

The top plate is 3/16" thick and the mounting brackets are 3/4" 6061 T-6 aluminum, and the assembled rack is very stout. :rider:

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080127/1/8/f/18f77c6fdafa0d9d3e7486489ef7702e0_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080127/f/6/4/f647f8321ad2dedfbda1feff08d17a880_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080127/3/2/1/32144a790c50706d04452fb404ba2c9c0_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080127/d/0/7/d07ee56e28a9a772a1ba967e11b73e5c0_large.jpg

The Ferret
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Great job, that looks awesome! Bet you could make some billet passenger peg relocation brackets (further forward and lower) that would sell to those who like to carry passengers.

GregH
01-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Really nice.:clap: I'll be interested in seeing the upright that you fabricate.

FDM
01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Same here, Looks AWESOME!! I will be getting a Bandit soon, (Blue 08 when the dealer get's one) count me in if you decide to sell some.

PhilS
01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Scott - I fabricated mine out of a credit card!!!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/FZ539Install014.jpg

Hahaha:lol2:

Just kidding - Your version looks outstanding!!!!! :clap: :clap:
I wish I had half your talent!!:hail: :hail: :hail:

MetrickMetal
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Really nice.:clap: I'll be interested in seeing the upright that you fabricate.

Thats coming here shortly. :rider:

MetrickMetal
01-27-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks Phil. ;-)

Brass
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Great job, that looks awesome! Bet you could make some billet passenger peg relocation brackets (further forward and lower) that would sell to those who like to carry passengers.

I'd be in for buying a set from you if you made them up.

Great job on the rack.

bones
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
NICE work! That would be simple to implement a GIVI base to that for a top box also. Very similar to SWMotech's only nicer.

TWTourist
01-27-2008, 11:31 PM

hehehe...You used the same fabricator as I did. :lol2: :rofl: But his does look better:clap: :clap: . I could use one for my XT225 ;-) hint hint;-) :mrgreen:

GregH
02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Any uprights fabricated, yet? Enquiring minds want to know!

X1Glider
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
That's a nice finished product El Bandito.

Did you use SolidWorks to design it or just use Mastercam and go direct to the machine?

BTW, is that muffler hanger one of your designs too?

kinkead26
02-08-2008, 10:01 AM
+1 if you decide to build more to sell. It looks great.

MetrickMetal
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
That's a nice finished product El Bandito.

Did you use SolidWorks to design it or just use Mastercam and go direct to the machine?

BTW, is that muffler hanger one of your designs too?

I used Autodesk Inventor to draw up the rack and muffler hanger bracket, but I am taking Master Cam at college right now and getting pretty good at it.

The rack and the muffler hanger were all machined on a conventional Bridgeport milling machine. :rider:

MetrickMetal
02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
+1 if you decide to build more to sell. It looks great.

I ended up doing a full polish on the rack yesterday, and I have the rack parts out for quote to have them CNC machined, so I should find out the cost next week and most likely proceed with having some made up. :rider: :rider:

dwoodul
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I have dubs (is that right, "dubs" - haven't used that word in 20 yrs?? :rider:) on one set for from the first group....!!! Please, Please, Please !! :mrgreen:

Ol Dave

GregH
02-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I have dubs (is that right, "dubs" - haven't used that word in 20 yrs?? :rider:) on one set for from the first group....!!! Please, Please, Please !! :mrgreen:

Ol Dave

Isn't it "dibs"?

I'm very interested, especially if there is an upright in the making. I'm considering pairing it with a T-Bag for travels this year.

suzukijo
02-09-2008, 08:29 PM
reminds me of when i was a kid, and my dad would tell us to get in the car, and we would call out "shotgun", if you said it first, you got to sit in the front seat. if not, you got stuck in the back seat. that was me usually.
i think el bandito needs to post a price, set up a list, and take payments.

kinkead26
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
If you do offer them up, please let me know. I have been searching for something that would look good on the bike when the case is not attached.

danceswithcages
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm interested in buying the rack and passenger peg locaters, and anything else that will make my bandit cooler! Any idea on when you will be producing these items?? Hmmmmmmmmm??

Mitral
03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Outstanding work mate!

I also like how you cleaned up the tail section. Still a funtional fender, but trimmed for style....

Eyabusa
03-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Anodize it in Red and it will look even better.
Erik

MetrickMetal
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Erik

The only problem with anodizing anything that will get direct sunlight like my rack would, is sunlight fades the color out of the anodizing, and the color can fade quite rapidly depending on how much sun it recieves.

I know this as I worked at Easton Sports Inc. for 28 years and as we were a manufacturer of aluminum baseball bats and other sporting equipment, and we had our own anodizing dept that we anodized our parts in, and I had anodized many of the custom aluiminum parts I made over the years there only to watch the color fade out of them, which made them look really crappy in the end. :rider:

whitesands
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow....Very clean looking! Looks like nice quality.

Sheep
03-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Heres a picture of my new billet rack that I just finished installing.

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080127/d/0/7/d07ee56e28a9a772a1ba967e11b73e5c0_large.jpg

El Bandito...
I'd be very interested in that rack base just as it appears above; brushed finish is attractive. I might consider powdercoating later. Please keep us posted when you get a price firmed up for production. I have a large Kuryakyn trunk that would lay nicely lengthwise behind me on the seat and rack since the stock handgrip is replaced on yours, with my throw-over saddlebags. I'd also be interested in your rear peg replacement bracket. Nice stuff you've made!!

Thanks, David

Shock96
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Holy Smokes! Time to keep this thread going! That is a great looking piece. Lets see them thar uprights!

whitesands
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Have you had a chance to use the rack yet ? Looks really nice! Very clean too!

suzukijo
05-15-2008, 09:27 PM
ooo-ooohhh, new rear turn signals, too.

whitesands
05-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah...just noticed the turn signals...nice...Is that aftermarket suspension too? :shock:

poudre
05-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice work!:thumb: :clap:

While we're suggesting products, how about lower rider pegs.

MetrickMetal
05-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Have you had a chance to use the rack yet ? Looks really nice! Very clean too!

Yes I have used the rack and it works and although all I carried on it is a small duffel bag of clothes, it is very stout and I have added a couple of more buhgee cord slots to it.

I am working on possibly having some machined up in quantity here shortly along with a few other goodies for the 1250's. :rider:

MetrickMetal
05-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah...just noticed the turn signals...nice...Is that aftermarket suspension too? :shock:

Yes, it is the very first shock made by Works Performance for the new Bandit 1250S and it has adjustable high speed compression and rebound dampening and well as spring preload and although it's much, much better than stock I am taking it back to them next week for the second time so they can to do a little fine tuning on the internal valving to improve the ride quality over sharp, single edged bumps.

I have been using Works shocks for many years, and they are quite good at custom tuning their shocks to achive the ride your looking for. Luckily for me I know some ot the engineers at Works, so when I called them last year shortly after buying the Bandit I asked when they were coming out with a shock for it, and they didn't even know that Suzuki had come out with a totally new Bandit.

So I ended up letting them use my bike for 3 days to design the new shock fot it and got the shock for free, which retails for close to $800.

I have since made a better looking one piece billet bracket for the remote reservoir. :rider:

MetrickMetal
05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Erik

The only problem with anodizing parts that will see direct sunlight is that eventually the sun will start to fade the color out of the anodizing at which point it will start faded and translucent, as I worked at Easton Aluminum for quite a few years and we had our own in house anodizing dept which I used to use for anodizing a lot of the custom billet parts I made, and they all ended up fading out after sitting in the sun.

MetrickMetal
05-17-2008, 09:43 AM
ooo-ooohhh, new rear turn signals, too.

Yup, I finally found some that are just as bright as the stockers that use a fill size 21w bulb, and with dual filaments that I have hooked up as running lights front and rear and I made my own billet aluminum adapter plates also. :rider:

RcTimmy
05-26-2008, 03:05 AM
I used Autodesk Inventor to draw up the rack and muffler hanger bracket

El Bandito, what is the possibility of getting a copy of your Inventor Models? I've been planning on making my own racks to mount some custom boxes but I figured if you already have a good start, I'll take your model and add on to it. The rear peg brackets would be cool too as a mounting location but you don't have models there do ya?

BTW, I'm using Inventor 2009...

terrebandit
05-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Dude... that is an awesome piece of work.

Dave

wanabeguru
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
EXCELLENT, AWESOME, WOW!! As usual, an American company laid off an EXCEPTIONAL PRODUCTIVE employee! Just to save some bucks instead of considering what that employee can do for them in the future. All the best,
Wally.07 RED BANDIT and LOVING IT!!!!:rider:
PS: of course keep me in the loop!

dmerc
05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, I have been designing industrial machinery over 20 years, as I was last employed for 28 years by Easton Sports Inc, which is now Easton Bell/Ridell until I was layed off on Oct 23rd, 2006 due to the fact that two years after the merger of Easton and Bell/Riddel, all manufacturing at the plant I worked at on Van Nuys Ca, went over to China.

I started at Easton as a Maintenance mechanic, even though I was actually a machinist, but after a couple of years I was able to get into the machine shop there, then after a few more years, I become a prototype machinist, and then I started to assemble the custom manufacturing equipment that we made in house, and I learned to do everything from electrical wiring to air and hydraulic circutry and components.

I then worked my way into the engineering dept, were I spent my last 15 years at Easton as a Project Eng, and I was responsible for designing and building many specialized pieces of machinery, as well as developing many complex and involved manufacturing processes from the ground up, in fact a lot of the machines I designed were shipped over to China.

Since I have been layed off, I have been kicking back and collecting UI and going to college on the states dime taking classes in Master Cam and Hass CNC Lathe and Mill operation and G-code programming, working towards a Machine Technology Certificate.

I have also been designing and building my own custom motorcycle parts for over 25 years, and I also make custom parts for Honda VTX 1800's and I am hoping to start making parts to sell for the new Bandit as well.

The rack is complete, and I am out in my garage right now doing the final hand sanding and then I will polish the 3 pieces and install it, I may also see how a scotch brite finish looks on it also, and its look just like the picture, only better. :rider:

Wow, that all sounds familiar! I was a Machinist at Dana Corp, before they closed my plant. I had 26 years, 10 of which, were programming and operating Mazak CNC's. We used a small number of G-code processes, but mostly Mazatrol. I sure wish I had one available to use!

I had the option of free schooling, but ended up at a BFG tire plant instead. A decision that will prob'ly come back to haunt me! :mrgreen:

Rcdd
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
El Bandito......Where is the order form?....*L*......

There seems to a bunch of us lining up to get 'em......

Question....Will these take powder-coating well?....Gonna need to make it black....

SingaporeBandit
05-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Bandito

I would also want to buy your custom billet rack (you haven't told us how much it will be), though we have to find some way for you to ship it to Singapore :sun:

Suzuki USA should hire you!

Cheers

MetrickMetal
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm working on it guys and I will be posting up pricing and delivery of the rack as soon as its finalized. :rider:

Rcdd
05-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm working on it guys and I will be posting up pricing and delivery of the rack as soon as its finalized. :rider:

Wow...Customer Service around here stinks.....:lol2:

Just keep us in the loop, as I'm not in a big rush for the piece just yet....

MetrickMetal
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Burn69
07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Any word yet on the cost of this sweet rack?

whitesands
07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
One of the best looking ones I've seen...Bandito could sell alot of them...

funkemaster
07-29-2008, 01:38 AM
I agree you make so much that I think many of us lesser abled guys would love to buy. Let us know when you get some pricing of some of this stuff done. Do you work for a company making any aftermarket bike parts? If so what company?

MetrickMetal
07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
One of the best looking ones I've seen...Bandito could sell alot of them...

Thanks for the compliment, and I have the rack, the PAIR valve block plates as well as a few other parts out for quote right now, and the one CNC shop that has been doing my parts for me is quite busy right now so I've gone out to a couple of other shops for quotes also, so hopefully I will be getting something going here in the next couple of weeks, so please try and be patient as I am working on getting these parts available for everyone.

I have been getting fed up though trying to get my parts made in a timely manner and I about ready to pull the trigger and buy my own CNC mill and bring everything in house. :rider:

wanabeguru
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Go for it! A lot of us are pulling for you!
Wally:rider:

Burn69
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Any word on pricing yet for the rack and PAIR block-offs and such?

ed29
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Great looking rack you have made! How easy would it be to add this (http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Topbox_Mounting_Kit_p/12000.htm)to it and use it as a mounting plate for a top box? I don't have the measurements for hole placement and spacing, but it seems that a few well placed holes would allow the option of using this kit. Thoughts??

Frito Bandito
08-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Dale Walkers are nice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/tmr1085/Rack.jpg

With his back rest:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/tmr1085/Rack1.jpg

MetrickMetal
08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I've finally got pricing back from the CNC shop that has been doing other parts for me and It looks like I am going to proceed with the racks

I am planning on having them powered coated in semi-gloss black.

I will post up more info on the latter, and I am also proceeding with the PAIR valve block off plates as well and possibly my billet rear passenger pegs/muffler hanger brackets also. :rider:

MetrickMetal
08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I've finally got pricing back from the CNC shop that has been doing other parts for me and It looks like I am going to proceed with the racks

I am planning on having them powered coated in semi-gloss black.

I will post up more info on the latter, and I am also proceeding with the PAIR valve block off plates as well and possibly my billet rear passenger pegs/muffler hanger brackets also. :rider:

Burn69
08-22-2008, 01:35 PM
So what will the price be? Also will this fit a 2000 600S as well?

MetrickMetal
08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
So what will the price be? Also will this fit a 2000 600S as well?

To tell you the truth I have no idea at this point since I don't have one to check, but I am pretty sure that it will fit the 2008 GSF650F, as the passenger grab rail is the sane part number as the 1250's.

marylynn
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Well can you machine a lowering kit for the Bandit 07? After 14700 miles I think this would be nice on certain occasions
ML
Wow, that all sounds familiar! I was a Machinist at Dana Corp, before they closed my plant. I had 26 years, 10 of which, were programming and operating Mazak CNC's. We used a small number of G-code processes, but mostly Mazatrol. I sure wish I had one available to use!

I had the option of free schooling, but ended up at a BFG tire plant instead. A decision that will prob'ly come back to haunt me! :mrgreen:

MetrickMetal
08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Well can you machine a lowering kit for the Bandit 07? After 14700 miles I think this would be nice on certain occasions
ML

Are you referring to lowering links for then rear suspension, for if you are there are plenty of them already available. :rider:

marylynn
08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes at least I think so unless there is another way to lower the bike that makes more sense.
I was told that you buy longer "dog bones" like 195cm and replace the stocks one that are "180cm". For the front you adjust or losen the brackets around the the shocks to the desired position. I was also told that the 195 cm bones from the 1200 Bandit will work on the 1250 Bandit, the bones apparently have holes in them for adjustment. Another dealer said this won't work ugh!
ML

QUOTE=El Bandito;471803]Are you referring to lowering links for then rear suspension, for if you are there are plenty of them already available. :rider:[/QUOTE]

Burn69
08-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a 600 for a fit up, you think we can work something out to see if it fits?

marylynn
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
What dog bones? How long are they?I have a 600 for a fit up, you think we can work something out to see if it fits?