• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Custom Billet Rack

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I decided that instead of hard bags for trips, that I am was to make a custom billet aluminum rear rack to carry a small duffle bag to which I will attach a set of uprights to for attaching my T-Bag Lonestar travel bag, which sits nicely on my passenger seat.

I have used this very same combo on many long road trips throughout the western US on my 03 VTX 1800C, and it has worked quite well for me.

I machined up the mounting brackets on Tuesday, and I plan to machine up the top plate tomorrow. Then I will have a little hand finishing and polishing to perform, then I can install it and then design the upright / backrest that my T-Bag will slip over.

2e6b9748f43367886f72c7993d2e06540_large.jpg

Looks nice! can't wait to see it on the bike.

I had a tubular OEM tail rack on my '99 Bandit 1200 way back when and only used softbags along with a tank bag back in the day. Simplicity at its finest.

I would be really interested in a setup like that. Having the upright for the T-Bag would be great. (I would prefer this arrangement over hard racks and Givi cases.)

Nice diagram, too, el Bandito. Are you an engineering-type?

Yes, I have been designing industrial machinery over 20 years, as I was last employed for 28 years by Easton Sports Inc, which is now Easton Bell/Ridell until I was layed off on Oct 23rd, 2006 due to the fact that two years after the merger of Easton and Bell/Riddel, all manufacturing at the plant I worked at on Van Nuys Ca, went over to China.

I started at Easton as a Maintenance mechanic, even though I was actually a machinist, but after a couple of years I was able to get into the machine shop there, then after a few more years, I become a prototype machinist, and then I started to assemble the custom manufacturing equipment that we made in house, and I learned to do everything from electrical wiring to air and hydraulic circutry and components.

I then worked my way into the engineering dept, were I spent my last 15 years at Easton as a Project Eng, and I was responsible for designing and building many specialized pieces of machinery, as well as developing many complex and involved manufacturing processes from the ground up, in fact a lot of the machines I designed were shipped over to China.

Since I have been layed off, I have been kicking back and collecting UI and going to college on the states dime taking classes in Master Cam and Hass CNC Lathe and Mill operation and G-code programming, working towards a Machine Technology Certificate.

I have also been designing and building my own custom motorcycle parts for over 25 years, and I also make custom parts for Honda VTX 1800's and I am hoping to start making parts to sell for the new Bandit as well.

The rack is complete, and I am out in my garage right now doing the final hand sanding and then I will polish the 3 pieces and install it, I may also see how a scotch brite finish looks on it also, and its look just like the picture, only better. :rider:

This may be a stupid question that you alluded to in your last post but are you thinking about producing these and offering them for sale to the group? I'd purchase one.

Regards,

Ol Dave

This may be a stupid question that you alluded to in your last post but are you thinking about producing these and offering them for sale to the group? I'd purchase one.

Regards,

Ol Dave

Dave,

There is a very good chance of that happening. :rider:

Thanks for asking, Dave. I didn't want to crowd a guy who was just making a single as a hobby. But now that you've broken the ice...

Heres a picture of my new billet rack that I just finished installing. I am quite pleased with thw way it turned out, and all I have to do to finish is to mill a couple of 5/16" wide x 3/8" long slots on each back corner for hooking bungee cords to.

I sanded the pieces with 320 grit, followed by a medium scotch brite pad then I hit it them with Mothers aluminum polish to give them sort of a satiny finish for right now, as I may end up fully polishing them out. I may also see what it would cost to have the pieces clear anodized.

The next thing I have to work on is designing up my uprights that my T-Bag will slip over, and they will attach to the outside of the rack mounts using the same 8mm and 6mm mounting screws.

The top plate is 3/16" thick and the mounting brackets are 3/4" 6061 T-6 aluminum, and the assembled rack is very stout. :rider:

18f77c6fdafa0d9d3e7486489ef7702e0_large.jpg

f647f8321ad2dedfbda1feff08d17a880_large.jpg

32144a790c50706d04452fb404ba2c9c0_large.jpg

d07ee56e28a9a772a1ba967e11b73e5c0_large.jpg

Great job, that looks awesome! Bet you could make some billet passenger peg relocation brackets (further forward and lower) that would sell to those who like to carry passengers.

Same here, Looks AWESOME!! I will be getting a Bandit soon, (Blue 08 when the dealer get's one) count me in if you decide to sell some.

Scott - I fabricated mine out of a credit card!!!

FZ539Install014.jpg

Hahaha:lol2:

Just kidding - Your version looks outstanding!!!!! :clap: :clap:
I wish I had half your talent!!:hail: :hail: :hail:

NICE work! That would be simple to implement a GIVI base to that for a top box also. Very similar to SWMotech's only nicer.

Scott - I fabricated mine out of a credit card!!!

FZ539Install014.jpg

Hahaha:lol2:

Just kidding - Your version looks outstanding!!!!! :clap: :clap:
I wish I had half your talent!!:hail: :hail: :hail:

hehehe...You used the same fabricator as I did. :lol2: :rofl: But his does look better:clap: :clap: . I could use one for my XT225 ;-) hint hint;-) :mrgreen:

That's a nice finished product El Bandito.

Did you use SolidWorks to design it or just use Mastercam and go direct to the machine?

BTW, is that muffler hanger one of your designs too?

That's a nice finished product El Bandito.

Did you use SolidWorks to design it or just use Mastercam and go direct to the machine?

BTW, is that muffler hanger one of your designs too?

I used Autodesk Inventor to draw up the rack and muffler hanger bracket, but I am taking Master Cam at college right now and getting pretty good at it.

The rack and the muffler hanger were all machined on a conventional Bridgeport milling machine. :rider:

+1 if you decide to build more to sell. It looks great.

I ended up doing a full polish on the rack yesterday, and I have the rack parts out for quote to have them CNC machined, so I should find out the cost next week and most likely proceed with having some made up. :rider: :rider:

I have dubs (is that right, "dubs" - haven't used that word in 20 yrs?? :rider:) on one set for from the first group....!!! Please, Please, Please !! :mrgreen:

Ol Dave

Back