PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy a Suzuki Bandit?

PhilS
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
i work as an engine builder, for honda performance development.
we provide engines to teams that race the IRL, and honda powered ALMS racing series.

Based on this comment and he rides a very cool version of "our" bike, I am curious why we all bought the Bandit over, for example:

Honda 919
Yamaha FZ1
Kawasaki Z1000
BMW R1200R

And so on.

For me, the following reasons over the competition:

The 919 - Old design and looks, no cool bodywork at all, and more money. But, it's a Honda and I thought Honda was more reliable and better overall.

The FZ1 - Man, this was a hard one. But, two things killed the deal: The seat looked way less comfortable and it was more money.

The Z1000 - Good looks, but I could not get past the exhaust - it was kinda goofy looking to me. I wanted something a bit more standard. As well, the seat did not look as good as the Bandit's nor did the Kaw look like it would take to a hard bag touring setup as well.

The R1200R - This one was an easy decision based SOLELY on price. If the Beemer was not $4000+ more, but maybe only $2000 more, I would be on a different forum. I love that bike - it was simply too much money and it would have been more to modify and repair. Basically, Cost of Ownership was expected to be much higher.

I rode none of the above including the Bandit before I bought due to stingy dealers, but I am completely, and overly satisfied with the 1250.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

suzukijo
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
i had seriously looked at the 919. for some silly reason, i bought the 1250 instead.

i had some other delusions, like buying a '06 GSXR 1000, and going streetfighter with it, but in knee-jerk reaction, thought the 1250 would be a good buy.

so far, the 1250 has been a good bike. i wish it had less weight, more hp, higher standard components, but stock, 'it aint bad'.

i'm happy with my suzuki GSF-1250, but i think the UJM trend will continue, this type of bike is good.
i removed the pictures of other bikes, as this thread should rightly focus on what is good about the bandit.

looking at the design, i liked the engine.

Roy
01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I had two Bandit 1200's ('99, '00) prior to the 1250, obvious choice for me.:rider:

flickmeister
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Comfort, real world engine performance, versatility, comfort, easy to modify and make your own, ride quality, handling, incredible value for the price.

Mods so far: SW Mototech mirror extenders, MRA touring windshield, lowered footpegs, raised front half of seat.

Needs: 17 tooth front sprocket, complete Dale Walker exhaust, ECU, K&N filter treatment, Ventura Bike Pack System or the Bags-Connection Speedpack luggage system.

Negatives so far: Not many. Gas mileage (low of 29, high of 37.8, ave 33-35 MPG), a little soft (up & down suspension movement) when playing hard in the turns (but she always maintains the chosen line), needs a bit more get-up-and-go at WOT.

Warpbender
01-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Based on this comment and he rides a very cool version of "our" bike, I am curious why we all bought the Bandit over, for example:

Honda 919
Yamaha FZ1
Kawasaki Z1000
BMW R1200R

And so on.

For me, the following reasons over the competition:

The 919 - Old design and looks, no cool bodywork at all, and more money. But, it's a Honda and I thought Honda was more reliable and better overall.

The FZ1 - Man, this was a hard one. But, two things killed the deal: The seat looked way less comfortable and it was more money.

The Z1000 - Good looks, but I could not get past the exhaust - it was kinda goofy looking to me. I wanted something a bit more standard. As well, the seat did not look as good as the Bandit's nor did the Kaw look like it would take to a hard bag touring setup as well.

The R1200R - This one was an easy decision based SOLELY on price. If the Beemer was not $4000+ more, but maybe only $2000 more, I would be on a different forum. I love that bike - it was simply too much money and it would have been more to modify and repair. Basically, Cost of Ownership was expected to be much higher.

I rode none of the above including the Bandit before I bought due to stingy dealers, but I am completely, and overly satisfied with the 1250.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I am in the middle of this dance as we speak!:eek2:

Well OK maybe not the BMW <--(haven't considered)
I love the bandit and always will but I can't get passed the H/P to weight ratio thing, beauty isn't everything.
The SV1000 is a awesome ride for the dollar and I hear the torque and the sound is spectacular, just not as comfortable and 120H/P is not enough bang for the buck.
The Honda does not offer enough wind and rock protection to be a real superslabber, Same as the Z1000 which I love the look of (even the pipes) but the lack of H/P and no shield killed it for me.
I've concluded the FZ1 to be the best bang for the buck for me with 150 H/p,
a fairly comfortable position, ample protection from flying objects, plenty of farkels to play with for years of enjoyment, and all the sexiness of an open sport bike.:rider:
All I have to do now is convince myself that my adventure bike won't get ridden, sell it and pull the trigger!:giveup:

TWTourist
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Like Roy I had another Bandit ('03). I loved the Bandit but hated the cold natural of the carbs and the foul plugs. The fuel injection and six speed and more hp made the 1250 my only choice for upgrade.

suzukijo
01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
The Honda does not offer enough wind and rock protection to be a real superslabber, ....snip by suzukijo...

living in the desert, i would have never thought that 'rock protection', would be a consideration, when contemplating purchase of a new bike.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6233/img1779su4.jpg

GregH
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Torque and price. It was the best value for my money.

I put nearly 600 miles on a friend's R1200R and I must say the Bandit holds the line better. I also believe it has less vibration than the BMW. The power comes on faster with the Bandit, too. Oh, yeah, there is the $6,000 price difference as well.

dwoodul
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Got the Bandit mainly for the price - $7,014 out-the-door at a dealership in Oklahoma City (plus another $510 for TX tax, title, tags). Since 2000 I have gone from a Honda V65 Magna to Honda Spirit (cruiser) but wanted a bike I could “play” on a little better than the Spirit. I’ve owned a BMW R90/6 (1976) to a couple of Goldwings to a Harley to a Vespa (you get the picture) and I believe the Bandit is just about the smoothest bike overall I’ve owned so far (if memory serves, the Magna and Goldwings were close).

Although I haven’t pushed it too much, the Bandit seems to handle well and has enough power for me. The quality seems OK although, so far, I’ve found two bolts that seem to be cross-threaded. In fact I just broke off a screw/bolt extractor in one trying to remove it. The Bandit shifts well. The mirrors need to be wider. The chain is almost due for an adj at 600 miles (got spoiled by the last two shaft-drives) . Oh well, nothing’s perfect. The Spirit had a couple of cross-threaded bolts also.

Anyway – With 600 miles on the bike, I’m still real pleased with it.

Working on:

1) Moving the handle bars up a tad
2) Moving the foot pegs down a tad
3) Taller windshield
4) Adding a Two-brothers slip-on
5) Maybe working on the seat – still a little hard
6) Some kind of simple rear luggage rack
7) Brighter head-lamps

Regards,

Ol Dave

suzukijo
01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
1) Moving the handle bars up a tad
2) Moving the foot pegs down a tad
3) Taller windshield
4) Adding a Two-brothers slip-on
5) Maybe working on the seat – still a little hard
6) Some kind of simple rear luggage rack
7) Brighter head-lamps

1. find a spacer to raise the bar mounts.
2. swapping the peg brackets left to right, upside down, some liked.
3. a few options there, find one you like.
4. pipe changes everyone likes.
5. my stock seat eventually softened up, no need to spend hundreds of $, then rave how great it is, stock seat will break in if you can wait.
6. motech has one, waiting to see what elbandito has to offer.
7. sylvanina silverstars, were suggested to me, but they are not THAT much brighter, i wish i could have found 100/100 to replace the 55/55.

MetrickMetal
01-26-2008, 09:15 AM
1. find a spacer to raise the bar mounts.
2. swapping the peg brackets left to right, upside down, some liked.
3. a few options there, find one you like.
4. pipe changes everyone likes.
5. my stock seat eventually softened up, no need to spend hundreds of $, then rave how great it is, stock seat will break in if you can wait.
6. motech has one, waiting to see what elbandito has to offer.
7. sylvanina silverstars, were suggested to me, but they are not THAT much brighter, i wish i could have found 100/100 to replace the 55/55.

Joe,

I'm leaving in about an hour to head over to my friends machine shop in Little Rock to machine the top plate, so by tommorow afternoon I should have the rack finished and installed, and I think you will like it. :rider:

GregH
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
...so by tommorow afternoon I should have the rack finished and installed, and I think you will like it.
We'll like it better if you post up some pics! :mrgreen:

The Big Spank Daddy
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Although I feel you guys are referring to a late model..............................

I bought mine because it was cheap, used @ $3100 and 26K miles. It was in mint condition, still is @ 47K miles. Also, it was air cooled, one less thing to maintain and to go wrong. So far it has been absolutely bullet proof.

Huladog
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I got a 1250 because I stumbled across TWTex by accident via Google, got convinced I should take a closer look at the Bandit since I was really considering a Honda VFR to replace my 2nd Gen Yamaha FZ-1.

Glad I got the Bandit, super value, torque, smooth, comfortable, did I say great value? Sure the FZ-1 has tons of high end HP, but the Bandit's torque makes for a much more relaxing, but fast ride. Love just twisting the throttle to go, not really needing a downshift.

Aloha,
Huladog

terrebandit
01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I bought my first Bandit in 2001 because it reminded me of my GS1000 and GS550. I've had 2nd generation and 1st generation (current) Bandits and have had no burning desire to get the 1250. Both my Bandits were reliable and easy to work on saving me hundreds of bucks in maintenance costs (valve adjustments, especially).

Willie
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
My 2007 1250 replaced a 2005 BMW R1100S. The BMW was nice, BUT,
(1) The Bandit motor has much better "Way Down Low" torque.
(2) Parts cost - I did my own oil changes. BMW filters were $pendy.
(3) Maintenace cost
- there are 9 points in the ABS brake system to bleed.
- I'm not comfortable with the German stuff!!
- I went with a non-ABS Bandit.
- wasn't looking forward to doing a trans. spline lube.
(4) I'm over the "Lean Over The Bars" riding position.
(5) The BMW had a cramp leg/pegs high riding position.
(6) The Bandit is much more quiet than the BMW.
(7) The Bandit didn't cost $13,500. Got mine for $8,300. OTD

penno
01-28-2008, 02:43 AM
In no particular order:

Appearance, all-round ability, price, free givi hard luggage (Aus-only offer I think)

Totally happy with the purchase. ;)

A1A
01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
My reasons for buying the Bandit 1250.

I have always had a lust for the Suzuki Bandit.

I have always had a lust for a I-4 litre bike.

I have always liked a naked bike with a styled upper fairing/shield.

I love the sport bike look.

I love the relaxed ergonomics.

I love the ability to add hard luggage for sport touring.

I love the (UJM) do it all ability of the Bandit.

I love the torque smooth power of the 1250 motor.

I love the smooth shifting gearbox with 6th gear OD.

I love the low octane fuel appetite.

I love the 40 to 44 MPG, I always get with my riding style.

I loved the fact the Bandit came with a centerstand.

I love the more bang for the buck selling price.

I especially love the faster Candy Sonoma Red Bandit.

For me this bike is the only game in town.

Thanks Suzuki for updating the Bandit and bringing it back to the masses.:zen:

:rider:

71rt
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
In '96 my wife and I had taken a MC trip through the Alps and when I saw the Bandit 1200, in Germany, it was lust at first sight!

So in '97, when the B12 was finally brought into the U.S., it was all over but the shouting. I previously had an 1100 Katana and loved that motor. Enough said.

FatalException0E
01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I came off a Honda Pacific Coast...nice low-maintenance bike, but I wanted to be able to change gearing. On the PC you needed to find a junkyard VT1100 diff and swap it in. On the Bandit you just get a new sprocket.

I like the motor, very powerful but still usable. I like air/oil cooling. It is a comfortable and good looking bike. You can see (and easily access) the engine. Plus I was able to get on '05 1200 for $4000. That sealed it.

bones
01-28-2008, 01:52 PM
It was cheap and I'm a former KLR owner.

cruizer
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Didn't want the ergonomics of a flat out sport bike, but wanted something that would be fun, handle well and still go cross country with some hard luggage thrown on and a passenger.

The price was the clincher...what other bike has this kind of value...

The 1250S gets the job done for me...

Trailduster
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
My son has a 01 FZ1, The pegs are higher which puts my 6ft frame in a bind, I love the do it all capabilitys of the bandit, I traded a 06 blvd c90t in for the Bandit and have no regrets, I dont think i could ever go back to a cruiser, why with the extreme weight and poor heavy handling would anybody want too? I read about the new bandit in rider mag, Went and sat on a new 07 and bought it,but why are they so rare?

GregH
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't care for the "Flying C" seating position of cruiser-style bikes. The more upright position of the Bandit is more comfortable for my back.

Besides, when I'm carving a series of S-Curves at speed I don't want to be riding a La-Z-Boy!

flickmeister
02-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Somebody told me it was a "chick-magnet."

PhilS
02-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Besides, when I'm carving a series of S-Curves at speed I don't want to be riding a La-Z-Boy!

Oh this will open a can of worms......

I watched a video by Jerry Palladino called "Ride Like A Pro on the Dragon". It's an overview of the Dragon at Deals Gap. The last several minutes of the DVD shows this guy on a big fat Gold Wing who videos and photgraphs people riding on the road and at key turns for great shots as they are "carving a series of S-Turns....."

At one point he is riding along video taping the road and he rolls up upon two sport bike types. This guy on the Wing is a very good rider. The sport bike guys are crossing lines, breaking in all the wrong places, and basically riding outside their ability and safety zone. He overtakes one of them, then gets "stuck" behind the other as this dork is trying to be a racer wannabe darn near killing himself. Finally, Gold Wing guy "blasts" past this last dude and carves the dragon like I've never seen before. It will almost make you giggle as you watch this Gold Wing just nail these turns and leave the gixxers and other bikes literally in the dust. You gotta watch this.

Conclusion, for me, it's not the bike, it's the rider....for the most part.

suzukijo
02-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Oh this will open a can of worms......Conclusion, for me, it's not the bike, it's the rider....for the most part.

since the dawn of time, it has been so.

PhilS
02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
since the dawn of time, it has been so.

Although this is not the sportbike chase, I believe this is that same Gold Wing ripping it up at DG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

If I would have tried that, I would be posting this from my hospital bed......

waz
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Howdy, all. New member here - from Nawth C'lina.

I bought a new 2001 Bandit in 2003 from a dealer in SC who had it sitting in his showroom for 2 years for a paltry $5100. I loved bike's utility infielder abilities - it could do it all: sport riding on that 450 mile long piece of twisty heaven known as the Blue Ridge Parkway; touring with panniers, tailbag, camping stuff and a Baby Taylor guitar strapped on the back throughout the southeast; drag racing on the very rare straightaways here in the mountains; even dual sporting on the numerous dirt/gravel roads in these here parts.

What I didn't love was its rather cold blooded nature, its somewhat buzzy character, its headlight that didn't illuminate squat (I'd have been better off strapping two flashlights on the sides of the fairing), and always fruitlessly toeing its shifter for another gear when I was already in 5th.

So I purchased a new 2007 red B12.5 in early November for $7164 O.T.D. (no taxes, tags, or assorted baloney because I was from out-of-state) from a dealer in Chattanooga - problems solved: fires right up in 30 degree weather; an engine that's smoother than a 20-year-old supermodel's left butt cheek, a headlight that actually works, and a six speed that purrs along at 70m.p.h. like a cat getting scratched behind the ears.

I fully expect the '07 to be as versatile as its predecessor, and look forward to thousands of miles of smiles and years of satisfaction.

That's why I bought a Bandit.

suzukijo
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
So I purchased a new 2007 red B12.5 in early November for $7164 O.T.D. ...snip by suzukijo...

so thats all, $7,164, and you drove away? cheap.
how come so cheap.
how much did it cost you later to get the rest.

dwoodul
02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
how come so cheap.

That's funny...!!! (like maybe the front-end was left in lay-away) :lol2:

I got mine (all of it) real cheap in Oklahoma City (I'm from Dallas so I flew up and drove it the 200 miles back down). It seemed that some areas had no 1250s (like Dallas) and/or didn't want to deal and some areas had some 2007s left. I was waiting on a 2008 but saw the OK bike in Cycle Trader for $6,950. I thought it was a mistake, called and they said I could have it for $7,014 OTD. Texas tags-title etc. ran another $500 so it was really $7,500 OTD. Anyway (I'm starting to ramble) - I've got 400 miles on it and I really like the bike. It's a black non-ABS. I have a Two-Brothers slip-on ordered and I'm starting to do all the little mods I've read about here.

Ol Dave

suzukijo
02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
gosh, you guys back east have it so good, the dmv allowing you to bring in your state something from another state with only mso.

it doesnt do us any good, either being in a high tax state, financing anybody, and anything under the sun.

at least we usually have that at least.

usually, sunny so calif.

it felt good when i had someone with a '06 kaw 1000 tell me he had a hard time keeping up, gee.... i didnt know we were racing?
thats what i like about my gsf 1250.

waz
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
how come so cheap.

Jo,

$7164 is $100 over invoice for a non-ABS Bandit, so the little family run dealer (RT Cycles) made a C-note + hold back, so they were happy.

And because I bought this in Georgia and live in NC, I didn't have to pay sales tax (until I registered it here), and since RT doesn't tack on any of the BS surcharges that my local dealer adds, I was happy...until a tie-down strap came loose and bike fell over in the trailer going through Knoxville at night on the interstate :eek2: - amazingly, there was no damage to the bike - not a scratch!

So I've actually had the whole thing sitting in my garage for 2 months now, not just the engine & frame.

I actually spent the day farkling after spending some loot last week: I installed a Cox radiator guard, Holeshot mirror extensions, the wiring harness for a Cortech Synergy heated jacket liner, and a JC Whitney top case ($47 plus free shipping! - I'm a cheap bastid, ain't I?)

suzukijo
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
So I've actually had the whole thing sitting in my garage for 2 months now, not just the engine & frame.

thanks for the explanation. out west here, that would keep the tax out of the equation. buying it from a friendly dealer to not have to pay the other fees, is what i thought.

i worked at dealer level for 30 years.

send us some pics of your farkles, especially one the the budget box!

camperjohn
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Torque and price. It was the best value for my money.

I put nearly 600 miles on a friend's R1200R and I must say the Bandit holds the line better. I also believe it has less vibration than the BMW. The power comes on faster with the Bandit, too. Oh, yeah, there is the $6,000 price difference as well.

I would day all these reasons too, PLUS the Bandit you can add factory fairing kit to make it wind proof.

The FZ1 was just too much money.
The S1000 didn't have fairings to protect you.
All others were too much money, or were too bent over.

The torque of the bandit is really nice at 2,500 rpm, when you are just putting along and you want to pass someone BOOM you just go. No changing gears, just go.

It could have another 50 HP, but that goes back to the price. And when do you really use 150 HP anyway?

KenB
02-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Owned a 919. Fun bike. But the nekid thing didn't do it for me since I enjoy touring.

Owned an FZ1. Didn't fit me well. Sky high insurance.

Not into the look of the Z.

Can't justify all the coin needed on the price and maintenance of the RT.

The Bandit is a nice compromise of comfort, performance, price, and versatility. The very usable power band coupled with decent brakes, great handling, and good range made it the best bang for the buck.

camperjohn
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Owned an FZ1. Didn't fit me well. Sky high insurance.

Why was the insurance so high? Because of it's power?

KenB
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Why was the insurance so high? Because of it's power?
The insurance was high because Allstate (and other carriers I contacted) categorized it as a sport bike. Despite the fact that I pointed out that Yamaha classified it as a standard, they didn't care. It was $1,400/year. I sold it after the first premium came due. Shame on me for not reasearching properly. In retrospect, it's really quite laughable since the same company now insures my Bandit for a whopping $179/year.

rworm
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM

I watched a video by Jerry Palladino called "Ride Like A Pro on the Dragon". It's an overview of the Dragon at Deals Gap. The last several minutes of the DVD shows this guy on a big fat Gold Wing who videos and photgraphs people riding on the road and at key turns for great shots as they are "carving a series of S-Turns....."

At one point he is riding along video taping the road and he rolls up upon two sport bike types. This guy on the Wing is a very good rider. The sport bike guys are crossing lines, breaking in all the wrong places, and basically riding outside their ability and safety zone. He overtakes one of them, then gets "stuck" behind the other as this dork is trying to be a racer wannabe darn near killing himself. Finally, Gold Wing guy "blasts" past this last dude and carves the dragon like I've never seen before. It will almost make you giggle as you watch this Gold Wing just nail these turns and leave the gixxers and other bikes literally in the dust. You gotta watch this.

I heard several people talk about this video-send me to it

rworm

PhilS
02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I heard several people talk about this video-send me to it.....rworm

This looked like only 1/2 a message, but here's two links - hopefully this is what you were looking for.

You Tube Gold Wing butt kicker at Deals Gap

Ride Like Pro - Jerry Palendino
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Phil

rworm
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
This looked like only 1/2 a message, but here's two links - hopefully this is what you were looking for.

You Tube Gold Wing butt kicker at Deals Gap

Ride Like Pro - Jerry Palendino
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Phil

Thanks, gonna check it out

rworm

Roy
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
The Dragon is fun I have rode it many times over the years at a very fast clip,,,,on a V-Strom:mrgreen: actually faster on it than I ever was on a sportbike there. The fastest trip ever though was in my wifes Honda S2000 sportscar. The sportbikes held us up a few times:lol2:

Seriously speaking the gap actually sucks as a road alot better roads about 30 minutes away. Best place to exercise this type riding though is at your local racetrack, you'll live longer that way:rider:

rworm
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I am all about living longer:clap:
Iguess you have to by the vid to see him running down the crotch rockets-he rides that goldwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rworm

PhilS
02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I am all about living longer:clap:
Iguess you have to by the vid to see him running down the crotch rockets-he rides that goldwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rworm

I have the RLAP videos as well as his Dragon video - which is an overview of the road, previous riders experience, how to not crash, etc, etc. It's a good one to buy and share....

The Gold Wing YouTube video is free and fun to watch, but to watch him do it to the sportbike makes me want to toss the Bandit and buy a H-D Dyna of some sort!!!:rider:

Shotrod
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=PhilS;354872]Based on this comment and he rides a very cool version of "our" bike, I am curious why we all bought the Bandit ..."

I've had street bikes since 75 Starting with a Honda 550F. Traded it in on an 80 GS850G Suzuki. I absolutely loved that bike. I don't like to ride crouched over, not sitting back as in an easy chair. Standard is the bike for me. From about '87 to '02..my street riding was curtailed due to raising 2 kids, and the expense thereof.
In late 02, I got serious about looking. Had there been an equivilant bike to my old 850, I'dve gotten it. There wasn't one at the time, at least in my financial reach. I looked at several, and the closest were the VFR and the Yamaha FZ (FRZ? can't remember ). Overall looks and insurance cost made up my mind for the Bandit. I'dve loved to find a shaft drive like the 850.But that (in a sporttouring bike) was pretty well restricted to BMW , which is high dollar and out of my reach.
To be truthful, I don't know if any bike could have made me happier than my Bandit. No Problems at all, handled really well, and the torque was amazing. The only changes I made were case savers, a small rack, and an x-ring chain and 48 tooth rear (45 was stock). When it came time to get a new one, I've not really considered anything else...just went out and bought a 1250..I'm still lovin' it !!:rider:

1250Pete
01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Lets face it. Were you going to get more bang for your buck! :bigokay: :clap: :rider:

Fittysom'n
01-27-2009, 01:44 AM
I bought the Bandit 1250 because I made the mistake of selling my first generation FZ1 after 50,000 miles of thrilling boredom......
And the Bandit is even BETTER at being a boring bike, BUT THAT'S A GOOD THING!

It's easy to ride, it's comfortable, it brakes, it accelerates, it can be a naked street-fighter, it'll take full luggage, it'll take a passenger, it'll carve canyons with the best of 'em, etc. blah, blah, blah. It works, and it works well with absolutely NO DRAMA, read: it does EVERYTHING SO WELL that it's "boring".

"Character" is good, "class" requires clean under ware, "drama" I don't need (anymore).....
I 'need': ABS, ergonomics, regular gas, bags, the wind off my chest, wheel sizes that don't require exotic tires, reliability.
I 'want': linear power, holeshot-ability, engine braking, torque, Torque, and more TORQUE!!!

*The 919 is so good, that it's limited by the platform Honda built it on.

Regarding the 'other' bikes initially considered:
------------------------------------------------------
*A used first generation FZ1 is the single best value EVER of ALL motorcycles EVER! The new generation FZ1 is for grown up squids who can handle all that power up top.

*Kawi' 1000 is fast on paper, but only Kawasaki fanatics buy 'em & keep 'em.

*BMW R1200R has character, it's quality $tuff, it's got TORQUE, and the unique $u$pen$ion allows you to ride well BEYOND your ability (and it'll wear out BOTH front & rear tire$ at the same rate). It's an expen$ive purcha$e, it's co$tly to maintain, the $tearlership$ (though good) are just that ($tealer$), acce$orie$ are expen$ive, clothing (though GREAT) is expen$ive, farkle$ are expen$ive.....
BMW is a rich man's bike (for the man who doesn't mind being seen on a "rich man's bike"). I put 60,000 miles on my '01 R1150RA, loved it, and in many way$ I'm $till paying for it..... I'm not rich, I just wanted a Beemer.
---------------------------------------------------------

The Bandit's value is simple,
it's the best bang for yer buck!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk16/RhysWms/01-26-09Small.jpg

Shotrod
01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Lets face it. Were you going to get more bang for your buck! :bigokay: :clap: :rider:

Can't see how. I just saw an article this morning that Harley was gonna offer a bare bones Sportster 883 for around $7800..I paid less for my Bandit..and got so much more !
I looked about a year ago for bikes, and came across a nice looking Kawasaki 750..It was just about the same price..then I got to thinking about all the torque a bandit has...:sun:
Sure hope they keep making it !

Brass
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Bikes considered and ruled out :

'07 FJR 1300: Great power, seat, ergos,. What ruled it out, the heavy throttle was tiring after only a short test ride (yamaha fixed that in ’08) the wind screen shook so much that I thought it was going to come off and take my head with it.

‘07 FZ1: Another great bike, the ’07 had a glitchy throttle/fuel injection that year. Lacking low end power, made great power up top but then its a little buzzy in the bars. Suspension was passable but not suited to 2-up riding, neither was the back seat.

Early release ’08 Kaw C14 : Being an early release put it out of the budget as the local dealers were asking full MSRP and even a touch over.

’07 ST1300: Nice bike but it felt dull. No feedback from the bike. I felt no passion for it.

Why the Bandit made it: Low cost meant that it could be tailored to me. ie, bars, seat, wind screen etc. and still come in under budget. Hard bags available through Givi for touring. Strong low end power for 2-up riding in the mountains where you need low end grunt. Suspension is simplistic but with cost savings could also be tailored. Simple styling doesn’t attract the attention of police or thieves. It also reminds me of what riding a bike is meant to be, simple and enjoyable.

achesley
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I almost bought an '07 Bandit instead of my '06 DL1000 while in Ohio. Was a few minutes decideing But had been on BmW GS type for the last 10 r so years so went that way. Well, after 18K miles in 14 months , the DL just didn't work out. So. in a semi fit of being not very happy one day with the DL I drove to the nearest Suzuki Dealer and traded it in on the Bandit. Have never looke back.

Yes on the Dragon. I want all people to go over there. Stay away from Arkansas. there ain't nothing there to ride anyhow. -:trust: :trust: :lol2: :lol2:

Young Old Man
01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Cause i'm a cheap *******, and i wanted a bike that could do everything. Sure it's a bit compromised on track and bit awkward off road, but it is just so good at everything. I don't own a car, so that's what i need, not high rpm and sex appeal.

Horsepower is overrated.

Rcdd
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
First and foremost, our bikes doing everything well....not excellent at any one thing.....a great "all-rounder".....

I found my '07 with 2500 miles on the clock for $5500 last april, helluva steal in my books (even though the wife might not agree...*L*)

And you can't beat the bang for the buck.......We all have our little grips about bars/seat/rocket launcher exhaust/etc.....But with the money we didn't spend on the Bimmer, we can customize our bikes to suit our needs/tastes......Heck, Daytona bars were only $25....my seat finally broke in from my fat butt.....and my $500 Yosh R-77 sounds like an angelic choir to my ears....

And last, Darn this things got torque....*L*...

I looked for almost a year, and boy am I glad I made the right choice....

And achesley, your telling fibs....We're all coming up north this summer to ride....*L*...Swamp Roads and Interstate are getting boring...

GregH
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Guys, ease up on the language. You're really giving the Filter a workout.
Please, let's keep it clean on the board.

TWTourist
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
It's been a year since this thread was started. Besides myself, who else is still in love with their Bandit? Who wish they had bought something else? What?

GregH
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I still love the Bandit. I need to get into some mountains with it, though...:rider:

Fittysom'n
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's a little mountain riding for you (if you can tolerate what the compression did to the image quality). It was a pretty decent 250 mile New Year's ride in freezing, fog, and smattering of sun.

I've found that a wide angle lens doesn't seem to show the sensation of speed as felt while on the bike. Lots more footage on my YouTube account, but I need to buy some software to improve on the images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4VWWQ01VY

Oh, and have I bored of my bike in three months and 5,500 miles?
In a word,
NO....(!)
(but I'd love to park an XR1200 in the garage next to my Bandit bagger)

jdwath
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Lucky.... EVEN trade...my '97 Kaw Vulcan 750 V twin shaftie w 17k mi. top condition.... for my new to me 2000 Bandit 1200S w 7800 miles in excellent condition, only needed front tire...came with yoshi RS3 can/stage 1 kit... I am enraptured w/ this machine....I have owned 6 bikes in the past 4 years..VFR 800... liked, Triumph Thundbird "SPORT" 900 triple..loved the '98 looks..., Suzuki VS 800...... ehhh, Suzuki VS1400... ehhh, Traded Kaw above....The Bandit is my favorite!!!!! I've added; new matching BT 021 tire, used ebay corbin seat, socket risers, more upright, longer handlebars, stripped , polished wheels and fork lowers, Zero G ST screen, added chromy bits and supercleaned........for me its beautiful, cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable, fast and awesome.......

Rcdd
01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Here's a little mountain riding for you (if you can tolerate what the compression did to the image quality). It was a pretty decent 250 mile New Year's ride in freezing, fog, and smattering of sun.

I've found that a wide angle lens doesn't seem to show the sensation of speed as felt while on the bike. Lots more footage on my YouTube account, but I need to buy some software to improve on the images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4VWWQ01VY

Oh, and have I bored of my bike in three months and 5,500 miles?
In a word,
NO....(!)
(but I'd love to park an XR1200 in the garage next to my Bandit bagger)

Nice video....very nice ride.....makes me wanna come west for a vacation.....

What's with the tape on the tach?.....just wondering....

GregH
01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
JD,
Nice bike you've got there. Thanks for the pics!

GregH
01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Here's a little mountain riding for you...
Looks great, Fitty. Although, it makes me envious...:eat:

Fittysom'n
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Here's another little ditty from last year's "Polar Bear Run" New Year's ride. This one with some Moody Blues.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimJwMVkRuQ

In answer to the above questioned 'tape':
The tape on my tach' has tradtionally been to indicate the "party zone" (torque/power curve). But the torque on our Bandit is soooo linear, that the 'party zone' is all the way from 3,000 rpm to 7,000 rpm. When I'm riding aggressively, I try to keep the engine rev's in "the zone".

But you will see on my FZ1 in the above Polar Bear Run video, that the tape marks are on the speedo.... placed at a 'real' 55mph, 70mph, and 85mph (if I remember correctly) as measured by a GPS.

rworm
01-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Cool vid Fitty
I haven't figured out all the "editing" goodies yet.
Nice job!

RedBaron
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I needed a cheap but good bike for daily commutes to work, canyons, and overall fun. I was looking used, and the 600 Bandit fit my pocket book. Sure I could've gone with a FZ1 or FZ6, but I didn't really need THAt much top end, and I test rode a Bandit years ago and loved it. I'm happy.....

However. I will probably upgrade to a 1200 or 1250 someday;)

-Kevin

Txstomper67
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
HMMMMMM Makes me think a little of a second bike

MetrickMetal
01-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I bought my 1250S because it had been quite awhile since I had a 4 banger and I was in the market for a new bike that could do a lot of things well and as soon as I found out about the new Bandit I spent about 6 months reading every motorcycle magazine article on it and realized that I just had to get one.

After having it now for 1 year and 4 months and after putting over 20,000 miles on it, I think it's quite possibly the best all around bike I have ever owned, and it still puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it.

The new Bandit is not perfect at doing everything, but it does so many things very well, and at $7,999 OTD it's been one of the best investments in a motorcycle that I've ever made IMHO.

I have not had a spec of trouble with anything on the bike, and it seems to run better the more I ride it. :rider:

treybrad
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Well, 18 months and 26,000mi later, I can't imagine what I'd replace it with. I get the itch to try something different every now and then, but I can't think of anything that more closely suits my needs.

I came off of a SV650N that I commuted/weekend tripped on for about a year and wanted something more refined/smooth and that would be better for long distances. The Bandit fits that need very well. It gets better gas mileage that the SV out on the open road (not so much in town...), marginally better weather protection, and the gobs of torque are very nice on the commute to/from work.

Things like the ZX14, or a Sprint, or even a Strom sound like they might be a good change of pace every now and then, but I don't see any of them being a better all-rounder than the Bandit for me.

I actually just ordered the OEM side bags yesterday, it'll be like a whole new bike again by next week!

trey

mi1lertm
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM

You are talking about the Wolf, he films guys on that goldwing. He owns the dragon, does not matter what you ride he will pass you after taping you from in front and then get you from behind his wing. That guy is Nuts. Jumped ahead did not see that RWORM has enlightend you all to the Wolf.

Bought my B1250 due to the price and the ability to hop it up some. With sport bikes running over $11,000 stock I thought that for under $10,000 I would have a fast custom bike. Which is what I now have.

Mark

pesto_boy
01-29-2009, 02:54 PM
It's not the best at anything but it's very good at everything.

If you can have only one bike and you need it to be a commuter, tourer, canyon-carver, passenger-carrier, quick, reliable, fun, easy to customize and affordable... well, the Bandit is the bike to own.

mi1lertm
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I feel that after a full header + can W/K&N or BMC, TFI or PCIII, nice shocks and opened up air box anf without secondary butterflies this is not the same bike that I bought. It is now on par with the ZX1200 and company. I have spent some money on this ride but still have not dropped as much as a FZ1 with pipe and slip on. It is now a fast ride (still not liter sport bike quick) but it will suprize most any thing out there. I enjoy it.

Mark

97B12
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I bought a Suzuki bandit originally because its what my neighbor had for sale. From the day that i moved in next to him i had my eyes on that bike. At the time i had never ridden a motorcycle let alone owned one. 8 months later he put it up for sale and i snatched it up! It sat for 6 months while i cleaned it up and got my motorcycle license. After that first ride it was true love. I paid 1300 for it, 97 b-12. I know people say you shouldnt start out with a bike too big but i didnt see that really. As long as your not an idiot i dont see any problems with it. Anyway...

A few month after i got my license my wife had to go to another state for military stuff and I stayed behind and kept working. I ended up moving in with friends that lived 60 miles south of our current place but i kept the same jobs (I had to to kill time while the wife was away.) As you can see now this is setting me up for a lot of ride time. Well for 3 months i rode 5 days a week 120 miles round trip to work. Shortly there after i moved back home to home to be closer to family while my wife finished up AIT. On that trip back home we managed to melt one of the wheels off of the trailer we were towing the bikes just a few hours on the road. I ended up riding my Bandit from California to South Dakota. because of a bunch of malfunctions it ended up being a trip that i will NEVER soon forget. Not one of those malfunctions though was from my bike. I went from Sea Level up through the mountains in Salt Lake City 30 degrees to 100 degrees and she purred all the way!!! My friend however was not so fortunate. He was on an 89 fzr1000 with fresh carbs and we had to stop twice to tune up his bike because of the altitude changes. and his bike had 10,000 miles less than mine and it was babied and garaged all of its life.

Well after a month in So Dak I made a trip down to Texas to see my wife graduate from her AIT so again I was on the road with my Bandit. I Changed the oil and the tire before the trip but thats all ive done since Ive owned it. Total in that 6 month time frame I put 12,000 yes 12 thousand miles on my bike!! It was my first bike and I was Lovin It! I still have that bike and i keep her in storage when I go back home to visit. Im on my third bandit now and i really have never found anything that comes even close to the bang for the buck you get!!!
I paid $1,300 for my first b-12 its a 97' had 14,000 miles in 05

I paid $300 for my second!! rescued it from under a tarp in some guys driveway --it was a '97 with 15,000 miles

I paid $1200 for my third one. Its also a '97 with 18,000 miles.

So in summary why Did I Buy A Bandit???

Excellent Price!!
Easy To Work On!!
40+ mpg even on a Cali Highway at 100+mph every day.
You can ride a full tank of gas without your bum going numb on you!!
Its Comfortable!!
Its Bulletproof!!
It Starts perfect when the temp is below 0!!
It runs when its 110 outside!!
Who wouldnt buy a bandit!!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/blazerboy4life/My%20Bikes/0506071158b.jpg?t=1235450542

MCRyder
02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I bought my 1250SA to use for a wide sort of reasons/riding.

First off I wanted a bike with ABS brakes, that was a necessity.

I needed something that could handle two-up duties, and it has turned out more comfortable for that use than my Triumph Sprint. Mounting a topcase for use as a backrest is easy, and there's 3 good choices for racks

I plan to use this bike for a 3500+ mile trip in May. That'll give me real insight into it's touring ability.

It will be handling some 6-7/10th's sport riding, nothing outrageous. It's handling/braking/engine seems more than capable enough for my modest sport skills.

It'll used as a daily rider, I've heard it's reliability is excellent.

It has great aftermarket support. I plan on upgrading the suspension. The engine is fine (great torque!), no upgrades needed there.

I've heard fuel mileage is good. Though the last tank got 30mpg, kinda low :ponder: . I may have mistakenly reset the trip meter. I'll have to keep an eye on that over the next few hundred miles. I'm spoiled by the Sprint's 45-50mpg avg. I'm hoping to get 40-45mph avg. on the Bandit.

I bought it as a left-over '08 this month, and got a good deal. So that was a big :thumb: . I plan on getting a new Sprint ST (I'm addicted to 'em) when it's time to replace the current one. The Bandit fits in great with that plan.

MCRyder
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I've heard fuel mileage is good. Though the last tank got 30mpg, kinda low :ponder: . I may have mistakenly reset the trip meter. I'll have to keep an eye on that over the next few hundred miles. I'm spoiled by the Sprint's 45-50mpg avg. I'm hoping to get 40-45mph avg. on the Bandit.

Either I reset the trip meter. Or the "spirited" riding I did before the previous fillup (114.4 miles/3.825 gallons = 30mpg) was sucking some serious fuel. With the torque-on-tap the Bandit has, that's easy to do :rider: .

Did a ride this afternoon, strictly Interstate @ 75mph. After the ride I refueled at the same station as before the ride. Checked the fuel mileage, 126.6 miles/2.918 gallons = 43.4mpg. It was very windy (15+ mph), and coming in from the south. I might've gotten another 1mpg if it'd been a calm day

I've heard the mpg goes up after the first 2,000 miles of riding. Probably not a hard fact, but encouraging.

whitesands
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Was originally looking at a few different bikes...The new Concours, ZX14, BMW F800ST, Busa..

Then started looking at the Bandit and noticed it was just alot of bike for the money...Comfortable , smooth 1250cc motor with loads of torque yet still capable of 47 mpg, naked bike looks...Ease of maintenance with no fairings to deal with...

Been getting 47 mpg with ease with normal highway cruising...

dmerc
02-26-2009, 02:31 AM
I was looking hard for a 2nd gen FZ1, but found a deal on a used 07 Bandit that was just WAY to cheap to pass up, and only had 56 miles!! I'm happy with it, but DAMMM, those FZ1's are HOT!!:bow:

I had an 04 FZ1 Skunk , and the dang thing spoiled me. Now I compare every bike to it.

Bandit21
03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I bought a Bandit because I couldn't find a dealer with a VStrom 650 in December of 2008. I was convinced that the Vstrom was the right bike and the Bandit would be too big. I commute 105 miles round trip to work and was looking for a comfortable, economical ride.

None of the local dealers had the 2009 Vstrom 650 in stock nor were there any 08's left over. I called one dealer back to check on status and was told that they had brought in a bunch of bikes from a distressed dealer and would I be interested in a Gixxer 750. And, by the way, there was a new 2007 Bandit in a crate if I wanted to go that big.

Turns out I bought the 07 Bandit with new bike warranty and on the street for less than the price of the 09 Vstrom 650. With the money I saved, I put on Holeshot's slip-on and Stage 1 tuning kit, the double bubble windscreen and the mirror extenders.

My buddy has a 2008 FZ1. He hates my bike. All that torque and power down low upsets him greatly.

The GSF1250S Bandit is everything I was looking for and more. I got the comfortable, practical machine I needed plus a huge :rider: hooligan fun factor that I didn't think I could afford.

Dale Walker's mad devotion to making the Bandit badder and badder with all his Holeshot goodies is another plus to owning this bike. You don't have to buy a bigger, faster, machine ... just wait for Dale's next kit.

terrebandit
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I Changed the oil and the tire before the trip but thats all ive done since Ive owned it. Total in that 6 month time frame I put 12,000 yes 12 thousand miles on my bike!!

Past do for a valve clearance inspection. You really need to check that.

whitesands
03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
The older bandits have a shorter valve inspection interval ?

treybrad
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Yes, they're shorter intervals, but the much easier to adjust screw type. 7,500mi I think?? Not too bad.

trey

terrebandit
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM

7500 miles for 1G's and 2G's.

JMBJ
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I bought the '08 Bandit because of its ability to be so flexible. Commuting / Sporting / Touring. It's does all of these good enough for me at this time!

Also, I wanted to try a bike with ABS (thankfully I haven't had to use it though)

Fittysom'n
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
The smoothness of an inline 4,
the torque of a big twin,
the comfort of a standard,
the handling of a sport,
the length of the maintenance intervals,
the ease operation,
the selection of popular size tires,
the longevity of an over-engineered / bullet proof engine,
time proved Japanese craftsmanship,

upright seating,
foot pegs beneath me,
versatility of traditional handlebars,
width of seat & bike is not TOO wide for me,

availability of hard luggage,
performance options to select from,
can be had with ABS,

pleasing aesthetics,
not popular with unruly "squids",
doesn't look like an "old man's bike".....

It would be nice if the brakes were as good those on my FZ1,
I wish Suzuki didn't apply such a thin layer of paint/clear,
the light pattern created by the reflector is VERY limited,
self canceling turn signals should be considered a safety feature,
the gas mileage is typical of new age big bore machines, wish it was better.

achesley
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Cause I got pissed at my 14 month old, 18,000 mile usage, '06 DL1000 overly so one fine morning back in May of '08. ;-). Never been more happier with a bike as the Bandit. Been a long long long time since I've had a bike that I can put both feet on the ground to almost the heels of my boots. ;-).
What's weird, is that I almost bought a 1250s Bandit instead of the DL1000 back then. But wanted the longer suspension after spending 12 years on BMW GS types.

GregH
03-14-2009, 10:15 AM
...What's weird, is that I almost bought a 1250s Bandit instead of the DL1000 back then.

You're smarter and wiser now.

achesley
03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
You're smarter and wiser now.
:lol2::lol2::lol2: I think just older with less patience :lol2::lol2::lol2:

bsquared
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
To replace my bunged-up K1200RS for daily commutes through Houston...last week I got an '01 with a Yoshi slip-on (which sounds awesome), a Corbin seat & about 12k on the clock. The price was right. I love the bike (honeymoon?)...hope I can keep it on two wheels.

GregH
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the dark side...

Now let's see some pics! :mrgreen:

whitesands
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes...lets see some pictures.

bsquared
03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Too much fun riding, I didn't even think of pics until you guys mentioned it...I'm slipping. Anyway, I took this when I got home from work tonight...will have to take more in the light & when the scenery's better than my driveway.

dougd
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
That's a good question.
After a crash with one of my brothers on his bike (V 65 Honda), I took a 21 year break from riding. Raised a few kids, forgot about biking rasing those kids until I was at a different brothers house visiting. In his garage he had a Pearl Black Ducati ST3, all those feelings about biking came rushing back in that instant looking at that bike.
I came back to Calgary looking to buy a bike, I wasn't sure what kind of bike I wanted though. It was late in the year so I didn't rush in, I read everything I could get my hands on about bikes, magazines, internet, how to ride books, I think i drove my wife crazy.
I would go to bike shops to sit on the ones that peaked my intrest, i changed my mind so many times that fall. The Triumph Tiger 1150 was the first I had decided on, then came the Buell Ulysses, Sprint ST 1150, Yamaha FZ1 to name a few. As I got interseted in each bike I had to sit on them just to help with the decission While sitting on the FZ1 my legs felt a little cramped so I went for a walk aroud the store. (The Bandit wasn't even in the picture I had never heard of it before.) Tucked in behind some other bikes was a older model Bandit, the price tag caught my eye. I had to work my way through to get to it, with not even enough room to stand it up I sat on it. It felt short at first, one of the sales reps help move a few bikes out of the way & held it so I could put my feet up. That was it, I knew right there that this was the bike for me. Talked it over with my wife and got the go-ahead to buy it. Went back to buy it & it was gone. Ended up buying a 07 1250 instead. Made that decission at the Bike show in January after sitting on the demo, had to wait 3 months until the bikes made it to Canada. Picked it up with 100m on the clock, drove home in the rain with my son following me. That was 3 years ago and 26983kms. made a few changes since just to make it more mine.

Power Comander III
Yosh Tri-Oval/mid-pipe
Puig Double Bouble Windsheild
17 tooth front sprocket
Suzuki Gel Seat
4th set of tires 2nd set of Michelin 2CT tires(like how they stick)
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/904127/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/905342/ (http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/905342/)
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1386723/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1386721/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1386726/

whitesands
03-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Too much fun riding, I didn't even think of pics until you guys mentioned it...I'm slipping. Anyway, I took this when I got home from work tonight...will have to take more in the light & when the scenery's better than my driveway.

Looks nice!

six fiddy
03-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Because it was the only 'off brand' at the BMW dealer that day.....and it was red.....besides I had to ride to FL in 2 days...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/2448882743_13fa53a334.jpg?v=0

Fittysom'n
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
WOW, that may be the most RED bike I've ever seen; and contrasted with that black, sweeeet, VERY sharp ride!

six fiddy
03-26-2009, 01:51 PM
WOW, that may be the most RED bike I've ever seen; and contrasted with that black, sweeeet, VERY sharp ride!

thanks, ya it kinda caught my eye sitting way over in the corner of the showroom with all the bimmers....for a 650 it's lots of fun in the city and backroads, yet comfortable enough for long days...just need a pelican case for the back....some crash bars....some more light.....did the o-ring cruise control as my first mod. Looking at a rad cover next....

treybrad
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
thanks, ya it kinda caught my eye sitting way over in the corner of the showroom with all the bimmers....for a 650 it's lots of fun in the city and backroads, yet comfortable enough for long days...just need a pelican case for the back....some crash bars....some more light.....did the o-ring cruise control as my first mod. Looking at a rad cover next....

Wow, that must be a Canadian model, no? I didn't think they imported the 2006 1200S with the new 1250 body work in the US. That red does look really nice though.

PS - You won't find a radiator cover for it because... it's the old air-cooled 1200 lump. That's your oil cooler up there.

trey

six fiddy
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow, that must be a Canadian model, no? I didn't think they imported the 2006 1200S with the new 1250 body work in the US. That red does look really nice though.

PS - You won't find a radiator cover for it because... it's the old air-cooled 1200 lump. That's your oil cooler up there.

trey

yup, great white north eh?

sorry oil cooler not rad, still needs a cover.

You are right though, not alot for the 650 that doesn't come from across the pond and such...although I found this...http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5439.0

and it even ends up black.....

shouldn't be too bad to fabricate....now for those crash bars....

whitesands
03-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Because it was the only 'off brand' at the BMW dealer that day.....and it was red.....besides I had to ride to FL in 2 days...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/2448882743_13fa53a334.jpg?v=0

That looks brand new....Really nice.

s919rider
05-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Let's see, where do I begin. I have a 2002 Honda 919 as well as a 2008 Kawasaki Z1000 and a 2008 Concourse 14.

I am keeping the 919, and C14 but selling the Z1000. The 919 being kept cuz it was/is my first street bike (sentimental reasons). The z1000 is ok, but a little too compact for my preferred riding style (long distance).

I will mention that I have also owned Triumph Rocket III, GSXR 1000, Hayabusa, R1, and FJR1300.

I have had the Bandit 1250S for two weeks now and I just got back from a (2) day ride from Ramona CA to St. George Utah (910 miles round trip).

I have been eyeing the B1250 for about a year now. Sitting on them at the dealer and reading up on them. I was interested in the bike as a 1200, but the air coooled, carburated model seemed a little dated for me. Once Suzuki made the liquid cooled EFI model, I got real interested.

Sitting at the B1250 at the dealer, I really liked the seating position. I am 5-10 and the reach was just right for me. I liked the fact that it was a no-nonsense, point and shoot, lug of a bike. Perfect for eating freeway mileage, one easy mile at a time.

The trip to Utah proved what I had been thinking all along. This bike soaked up the freeway miles very easily. The seating position was neutral and comfortable and the wind screen was just about right. The wind hit me about mid to low helmet when seated fully upright. Nice and clean air. I will not be messing with this stock screen. I just finished (2) straight 7 hour days and no complaints. The motor works effortlessly and pulls along nicely at 4500 rpms at nice highway speeds. This bike is a keeper.

I am going to make a few mods. One thing I will never change is the stock pipe. LOVE the smooth and quiet power of the stock pipe. After many aftermarket pipes, power commanders, custom dyno maps, air filters - there are better things to spend your money on (in my opinion). I am going to put Race Tech Gold Valves in the front forks as the stock forks are too harsh. I am also going to upgrade the rear shock, not decided on a brand yet. Going to install heavy bar ends from HVMP and also also considering Renthal High Road bars (although I am happy with the stock). I will also be getting an aftermarket long distance touring seat, again not sure of the brand yet.

Rambling on here.... long story short. Love the Bandit 1250S and plan to keep it in the stable for a long time to come. Ride on.

tantrum
05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I was going to make a long-winded post but I see Fittysom'n echoed my feelings exactly.

Bottom line is, I got my license in 1997, and even back then it was at the top of my list.

Now, 12 years and 2 bikes later, it's finally done!

And after a 2-day, 400 mi ride, I couldn't be happier!

I thought I was going to have to live with some compromises since my Z750S was so light and nimble. I was very wrong. The only time I ever feel that this bike is heavier is when I stand it up. Once it's in motion, it's as if Suzuki had asked me what I wanted and they had made it just for me, and then some!

Short answer is: I knew what I wanted from a bike, the Bandit is one of the bikes that would offer it all, and I've never heard of anything genuingly bad about the Bandit.

achesley
05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Cause my '06 Vstorm DL 1000 made me not happy one time too many.

97B12
06-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Past do for a valve clearance inspection. You really need to check that.

Oh wow. I completely forgot about that! Thanks for mentioning. Ill be going in soon to get a checkup. Unless its easy to do at home. Any tips?

RichBinAZ
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I had been looking for a replacement for my GSX1100G for quite some time and with my bum left knee there are very few bikes (in the USA) that fit the bill. And I didn't want a cruiser.

I was suprised to see the Bandit at a tent show in Apr 07, and bought the Blue ABS, because I could fit on it and my knee wasn't being over folded. I really wanted the red one, but I was too impatient. Since then the ABS has saved my bacon once when I started sliding on antifreeze, so it worked out.

I love the fuel injection (after the G's carbs) and improved the idle with Dales/Dobecks TFI fuel adder. I would prefer a more upright seating position and if Triumph come out with a Thunderbird styled like a Bonnie (Instead of a cruiser), I may have to trade it in for that. I do prefer naked bikes, but you can't get a standard one without a fairing in the US.

It's been a good 2+ years to date

GregH
06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
...bought the Blue ABS...

Rich,
Welcome to TWTex. We need bigger pictures of your bike, the avatar doesn't let that blue show through.

Of course, while the blue is pretty...Black is faster! :rider:

SK-Bandit
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
It's my first bike so the FZ1 was really my first choice, just a fan of Yamaha products. To get the same equiped bike in the FZ1 would have cost me another 3k versus the Bandit. Not disappointed with my choice though, I really love this bike.

kitesurfer
06-17-2009, 07:23 AM
the price was right! got another ticket on my z1000 and the fiancee wanted a jet ski. so i quit riding forever and sold my z1000. bought the honda pwc. lasted w/o a bike for 5 days when and acquaintannce offered up his 02 bandit 1200 for $3200: came with holeshot header and yosh can, busa shock and lowering links, soft saddle bags, hela light (which i still have not installed). a week later i out on a new chain and rear tire and rack/top case. the good thing about this bike is that it has salowed me down. I rode my zx9r FAST, even passing a cop one early morning at 150 (no ticket). i bought the naked z1000 thinking that would slow me down--didn't work. but the bandit's comfy spot is about 90 on the open roadwhich i can live with. in the mountains, i've slowed down and can see the scenery (though i loved the z on wolfpen gap). so my next mod will be hard bags if i can finnd some CHEAP, or just wai a couple years for a NON gray 1250.

RichBinAZ
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Ah, did some searching...
So if I do this
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/RichBinAZ/My%20Bikes/Apachetrail.jpg
It should put a full size image in??? (sorry it's 1024 wide)

achesley
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I bought a 1250 Bandit because I was not really very happy with my VStorm DL1000. I had started to get the Bandit instead of the DL1000 when up in Ohio where I bought the DL1000. Figured I'd give the Bandit a shot instead of just going directly back to an 1150GS from BMW. So far, a year and 14,000 miles later, I still have the GSX1250 Bandit and still just love the power and transmission and handling for what I do with a bike. Now, to get the windshield sorted out. If I get that done, I'll not consider going back to the BMW R1150GS as my touring bike.

dekenai
06-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Partly it was a good fit with my other bikes which are more specialized and so are only suitable for their single intended purpose, (Bimota YB11, CCM C26 Super Moto, Husqvarna WR250 & H-D Ironhead XLH1000), so I wanted something versatile. I had a test ride of a CB1300 (too soft floaty and boaty), ZRX1300 (too hard, sorta forced you into a single ride position and the fairing offered too little protection), R1200GS (whoa! very vague and disconnected, and ouch! expensive), and a FJR1300 (very nice but expensive and maybe too sensible…noooo! I’m not that old yet). I guess what I was looking for was a modern interpretation of my old GSX1100E with a tad more refinement and the full benefit of nearly three decades of applied motorcycle evolution….enter the Bandit.
Now all that is left is to address the area in which Suzuki’s bean counters shaved a few shekels, i.e. the suspension and I reckon I will be happy, (oh and get a new can, and install the Holeshot stage 2 kit).
IMO two words sum up the Bandit, versatility and value….and all considered I don’t think there is a bike out there that has the balance so near perfect. Now…what if Suzuki offered an optional GSXR suspension upgrade for an extra grand…mmm nice. :)

automatik
06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
the bandit is the perfect balance between cruise and speed. it gets up and moves, and with 6 gears it cruises at 110 without even breaking a sweat. fun to ride around town and awesome for interstate. doesnt look bad either!

cheers

-rob

Indianjoe
06-26-2009, 01:00 AM
I got back into riding after a long layoff. I owned a couple diffferent cruisers, but never got used to the position. I missed my VFR, but I didn't want another one. Couldn't find a ZRX that hadn't been monkeyed with, and while I was looking I had a chance to ride a 12fiddy. I instantly hated the seat and bars, but loved everything else. When I found a used one with bags etc, it was all over but the crying.

My question is, why does anyone buy anything else? The Bandit rawks!