• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

E. TX, DS Ride, 1/26-7/08 Moscow-Geneva 'n back

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Roth
I'll start the thread off by saying that my KLR only clocked 30 miles on the odometer, but I got a full day's worth of excitement into those few miles. I will wait for pics from others to fill in details. The conditions were just right for a challenging DS ride if you like cool weather, mud, dirt, big gravel, deep sand, and, in at least one case, swimming.

By the grace of God, good friends, and ATGATT, I am able to sit here typing.

Danny, AKA Nemo

Danny I am glad to hear you made it back in one piece, it sounds like it wasn't just a ride but an adventure.:coffee: So how did Kaw run in those 30 miles? Do you think you finally got rid of the KLR gremlins?

I experienced the same problem again, coincidentally, almost in the same spot that it popped up the last time that Duke and I rode on our recon run.

I think we found the problem this time. Kirk (pazzoduc) noticed, when I had the CDI leads unplugged, that, although the little lock tab on the side would latch, one of the connectors, which has 5 conductors, lacked about 3/16" of seating all the way in. This cannot be seen unless you take both halves of the connector out of the little bracket next to the CDI box. I cleaned up the contacts as best I could, pushed the plugs together all the way in, and put a zip tie around it, pulling it together securely.

It ran very well after that, so well that it kept on running after it tossed me off into a creek at the next bridge.

I plan on being at Moscow when the group gets back. I want to shake a few hands again and hear how the rest of the ride went.

Well I made it home.
I left a little early about 50 miles of dirt to go. But we did this section on day one and I wanted to get home to see my daughter.

Man did I have a great time! Duke and everyone who help set up this ride you get a BIG Thanks!

We had lot's of this.
247981962-M.jpg

All my Pic's

I got a couple vids, but here are the interesting pics.... fess up guys.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

To be fair, this fella was new to dirt riding.... he did very well for... the most part....:rider:

IMG_0042.jpg

Home and exhausted! :yawn:

But other than the parking lot, my bike stayed on two wheels the whole weekend! :dude:

I too made it home in one piece, well I am, not the bike, its a good thing that mud is soft.

What a great turn out. The weather was a little on the cool side, but at least it was not raining,

Thank you all for coming out and playing in East Texas. I hope that you had as much fun as I did!

Let it be known, that Danny has raised the bar pretty high for all of us, when it comes to re-telling a "get off" story.

This will take some to time to put together for all to fully appreciate just what he did.

The supporting cast in his little episode involves, a bridge, 15 foot of vertical space, 3 feet of water, and a very muddy creek bank.

The supporting cast in his little episode involves, a bridge, 15 foot of vertical space, 3 feet of water, and a very muddy creek bank.

Don't forget the underwear on the truck mirror! :lol2:
Was it a curb?

Nothing that dramatic. We were lining up for a pic before getting started, my bike wasn't even on, I had one foot down and one on the peg, and I lost my balance. The bike hit the ground, but at least I didn't! (and how many of the the guys can say THAT about this weekend?!?!?)

LOL... But some of us actually found 2nd gear.:rofl:

I am kidding of course. You rode that XR very well this weekend. :clap:

I have a new appreciation for my baby - I found myself leading a group of 8, standing on the pegs, running through in 5th gear wishing I had a 6th! :rider:

(until we got to a bad mud bog of course)

Great ride! A little cool but the thawing process is settling in and so I think all of us will sleep very well tonite!:sun:

Well, Ken and I made it back to my place. We loaded him up and he's now off riding to his house in N. Fort Worth.

Many thanks to Duke and Co. that planned out this ride, it was awesome!!!!

Also a huge thanks to Squeak, and Yogi for leading the tail gunner group. Squeaker, you've got to give yourself credit. You're riding very, very well for someone with that little experience on the dirt. I know there are a bunch of people that are quite impressed with how well you did, I'm one of them. You go girl!!!!

Thanks again everyone... now it's time for a shower, and some bed time.

Thanks to all who set this ride up. I know it took a lot of time researching the roads to put the route together. I had a good ride, got to know some new folks. I think there is potential to catch some more dirt roads around Rayburn, but that's a for another day.

Thank for planning a great weekend!!

Scott and I rolled into my drive way 30 minutes quicker than on the way down Friday night. We drove home with no stops. Dinner on the way home consisted of left over Trailmix and water.

The mighty KLR now has a leaking left fork seal. We tied mine down real tight so that the handle bars we clear each other. Looks like I have some maintenance to do, after I get the mud off.

I also had some issues with my camera. Many times, it took a long time for my lense to pop out, those photos, including some of the incriminating ones are real blurry. I guess it is time for a new camera, and this one is only a year old.

Since I rode sweep all weekend, how about some action photos being posted!

Back