• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It's Heeere! - Mapsource Beta - OS X

mapsource for OS X! say it ain't so! That just might cut my load by 10lbs for my lap around America!

oooo shiny. I might just have to get myself the new edition before my mega ride. gotta have the latest info don't ya know!

I've done a lot of buying lately (rifles, etc.) I'll have to hold off till I'm actually back in the US. There's probably a good gig or three worth of updates I need too, plus an upgrade to 10.5. New mapsource is definitely on my list. That'll let me get windows off my other laptop, and return it to its happier linux life.

SWEET!! I'm thrilled to hear it and that settles the Garmin vs Magellen debate for me :drool:

Durn. Guess it's time to buy a GPS now. What are they good for? ;-)

This frees me from my last PC program...and lets me return my PC notebook to its rightful place of only being used when I go placed I'm afraid my macbook will get broke. :rofl:

wOOt!

Thank you for your GPS City USA order #1867421, dated 2008-02-22 10:24:45.

We would like to advise you that we have shipped your order on 2008-02-28.

The order was shipped using US Postal Service service.

It's not quite ready for prime time. Useful, but not full featured. I like the zoom and navigation bar, but it lacks the ability to drag and drop the route, a useful "Find" feature or any way to alter the route and display turn by turn directions. You still have to use Bobcat Beta and have a working Windows version of Mapsource according to tech support. Very misleading

that's no good for business IMO. hopefully they get some updates down the pipe before I redeploy. it'd be great to only have to bring my MBP along with me on my trip.

It's not quite ready for prime time. Useful, but not full featured. I like the zoom and navigation bar, but it lacks the ability to drag and drop the route, a useful "Find" feature or any way to alter the route and display turn by turn directions. You still have to use Bobcat Beta and have a working Windows version of Mapsource according to tech support. Very misleading

When I read the title of this thread, I got excited that Garmin had finally released an OS X version of Mapsource. But what you're saying, and what I'm seeing on their web site, is that it is essentially a collection of a few different programs that allows you to view the maps from the windows version and exchange data with your GPS, correct? It's not "here's the program, install it and go have fun?" Doesn't sound too mac-like to me. Still better than nothing I suppose.

Correct. It will do routing, you just have to live with what it selects or insert enough points in it to get it to go where you want. No adding them later though, you have to get it right the first time. Honestly, I'm still waiting for them to tell me what was on the disc I purchased. All I saw was the two programs available for download on their website. I then had to switch to XP, download a map converter, convert the map then take the file back to OS X for use. :giveup: If I got anything, for my money, it was the unlock code for OS X.

Still sounds like the easiest solution for Mac users is to run boot camp or parallels on an Intel mac and use the windows version. That's what I plan to do if I can ever get boot camp to work... But, that's a story for another time. Minor issue, but a pain in the neck to fix. Mean time, I'll just run it on my work laptop.

^^ What I'd planned on doing prior to this trip - do a clean install in parallels, and install mapsource there. *shrug* Hopefully they get their OS X game together, I haven't primarily run Windows in almost a decade... still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I have to use it for anything now.

I still have a dual boot with Boot Camp. I never could get Parallels to quit locking up or running slow.

When I read the title of this thread, I got excited that Garmin had finally released an OS X version of Mapsource. But what you're saying, and what I'm seeing on their web site, is that it is essentially a collection of a few different programs that allows you to view the maps from the windows version and exchange data with your GPS, correct? It's not "here's the program, install it and go have fun?" Doesn't sound too mac-like to me. Still better than nothing I suppose.
Curses! Until it is completely and independently mac-based (I look forward to when that miracle happens), I'll just continue using the windows-based GPS software on the desktop or at work. After converting 98% to mac at home, I refuse to load windows and run it on my MBP. ;-)

Back