• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Color Matched Side Covers

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I have had great success painting plastic side covers on some of my other bikes to match the factory color using factory matched aerosol spray paint from Color-rite paints. The last ones I did was a 4 stage Illusion Blue factory paint on a differant set of side covers for my 03 Honda VTX 1800C, and they came out looking just like the were painted at the factory.

So not long after I bought my 07 Candy Sonoma Red Bandit 1250S, I knew that the black plastic side covers would look much better if the were painted the same color as the bike.

I contacted Color-rite paints in Palmdale CA, not far form where I live, and thay already have the Candy Sonoma Rec paint available in aerosol spray cans.

So when I told a good friend of mine about wanting to paint my side covers, he suggested that I take a picture of my bike, and let his friend who is real good with Photoshop, copy the paint and apply it to the side covers so I could actually see what it will look like.

This is with just the main section of the side covers painted, and is my favorite of the two options.
e3799035e522799418390349d47ac6090_large.jpg

Heres what they will look like if the entire side cover is painted.
36b41e5e742155c10b7cd9586b7fe5bb0_large.jpg

Pictures are posted fine here.

Looks very nice.

Where exactly did you get the paint and who painted it?

I was out looking at my bike today, and I decided to pull the rear tire hugger off and strip the anodizing off of the stock aluminum chain guard and polish it up for right now.

I am going to take another picture of my bike, but this time of the left side of my bike, and send it to the same guy who did the photo shop on the side covers and have him apply the red paint to the stock chain gaurd to see how it will look painted red, as I am thinking it will look great, maybe even better than the red tire hugger did.

I will have more than enough paint to cover both side covers as well as the chain guard. :rider:

Well, I'm still in the never ending process of changing the looks of my bike around to see what looks best, so my latest effort was to take the color matched tire hugger off and then paint the footpeg brackets and the chainguard semi-gloss black.

Before I painted the footpeg brackets, I spent about 45 minutes smoothing out all the rough casting lines and marks on them.

I really like the way it looks, and I am waiting on a new photoshop of the chaingaurd painted the same color red as the rest of the bike. One thing I am going to do for sure, is cut two strips of polished S/S sheet and attach them on the backside of the chaingaurd over the two cutouts so that they will show thru the slot from the front side for a nice little contrast againt the black paint, which I think will look really good.

I'll attach the polished S/S strip to the chainguard with some strips of 3M VHB (very high bond) tape, which I have used with great success in attaching parts to my bikes. :rider:

a1defcbbd9073cc32e82b4609e48b9a60_large.jpg

Looks nice. Every small part on mine that I can powdercoat black will get done as soon as I get the oven wired up and spend time actually learning the process a bit more.

Looks nice. Every small part on mine that I can powdercoat black will get done as soon as I get the oven wired up and spend time actually learning the process a bit more.

Thanks.

I been painting the parts using Dupli-Color Ceramic semi-gloss black engine enamal, and backing the paint after it has air dried at about 150 degrees, and it has shown to very durable so far.

I am actually not painting everything black, but instead removing the black paint from some areas, and turning them into to a smoothed polished aluminum finish, painting some parts that were silver, black, and painting other parts that black, red to achieve a better balance of color in my eye. :rider:

Thanks.

I been painting the parts using Dupli-Color Ceramic semi-gloss black engine enamal, and backing the paint after it has air dried at about 150 degrees, and it has shown to very durable so far.

I am actually not painting everything black, but instead removing the black paint from some areas, and turning them into to a smoothed polished aluminum finish, painting some parts that were silver, black, and painting other parts that black, red to achieve a better balance of color in my eye. :rider:
We have been using a similar method-all parts that i have BLACKED (chain guard,pegs,etc.) have been sanded by hand and cleaned with this:
bandit100.jpg

Then i saved stove out of house(replaced)Use it as my kiln-preheat to 500 hang parts for 30 minutes in it and it puts a super hard coating on them that your boots have a hard time rubbin off!!!

bandit101.jpg

On my plastic I use this outdoor furniture paint(countershaft cover) not the textured shown-It has a flex additive in it-Bandit red i dont know-
bandit099.jpg

Keep them wrenches turning
rworm:rider:
P.S.wish i could see your manifold pics????????

Thanks.

Hey Bandito,

Have you considered painting the big silver cover directly behind the shifter, and covering the c/s sprocket? Mine looks really obtrusive. I'm thinkin' about painting it satin black when I do my chain guard. Too much silver there.

Hey Bandito,

Have you considered painting the big silver cover directly behind the shifter, and covering the c/s sprocket? Mine looks really obtrusive. I'm thinkin' about painting it satin black when I do my chain guard. Too much silver there.

dmerc, heres one painted black/to much silver for me too;-)
bandit025-3.jpg

rworm

Oh Yeah!!! I like it! I wish the engines were black. I had an FZ1, and loved that black motor!

That cover is plastic, right? Had any trouble with the paint sticking?
And, did you put edging on the bottom seam of your tank? Looks really smooth. Mine sticks out like a sore thumb. Just looks unfinished. Gotta' get some black edging for it.

Thanks, looks great!!

Don

Oh Yeah!!! I like it! I wish the engines were black. I had an FZ1, and loved that black motor!

And, did you put edging on the bottom seam of your tank? Looks really smooth. Mine sticks out like a sore thumb. Just looks unfinished. Gotta' get some black edging for it.

Thanks, looks great!!

Don

Yes I have thought about painting the sprocket cover as I do think after looking at rworms that it does look better painted black than silver, as the stock silver paint on the cover looks a little cheap to me.

I don't know if rworm used the plastic paint from Krylon or not, but I would think that since its already painted silver that all you would need to do is lightly scuff up the surface with some 600 grit, then primer it and paint it with regular paint. :rider:

Yes I have thought about painting the sprocket cover as I do think after looking at rworms that it does look better painted black than silver, as the stock silver paint on the cover looks a little cheap to me.

I don't know if rworm used the plastic paint from Krylon or not, but I would think that since its already painted silver that all you would need to do is lightly scuff up the surface with some 600 grit, then primer it and paint it with regular paint. :rider:

I think it'll look great! The odd, boxy shape of that cover just really sticks out as it is now.

Edit: I don't know that it IS painted silver....I just figured the color was molded in? Maybe not?

I think it'll look great! The odd, boxy shape of that cover just really sticks out as it is now.

Edit: I don't know that it IS painted silver....I just figured the color was molded in? Maybe not?

You may be right, and I'll have to look at my cover a little closer today as I have a couple of small marks in it that look more like a chips in paint than a gouge in a piece of plastic.

Maybe rworm will chime in about what he painted his cover with. I do know that the Krylon Fusion paint for plastic sprays directly on plastic with no primer required and drys in 15 minures or less, and is available in flat black, satin black and gloss black, and I am thinking that the satin black is probably the color to go with. :rider:

I'm gonna' have to do those side panels too! Makes mine look plain now dammit!!:lol2: (I just noted you haven't actually painted them yet) I had questions about the process.....doh!

I haven't even ridden mine yet! Can you believe that! Just picked it up monday, haven't switched the title,gotten plates, all that crap.

Been busy working on a KLX300, trying to get that finished up. I got it about a month ago, and rode it about 100yards so far!:mrgreen: But, the weather has sucked, and the li'l kawi was begging for much needed maintenance!

EDIT: Bandito, the more I look at those painted side covers, the more impressed I am!! What a difference!! You've got a good eye! Really wakes up the looks!!
Suzuki should take note!!

I'm gonna' have to do those side panels too! Makes mine look plain now dammit!!:lol2: How many coats, and, did you clearcoat it?

I haven't even ridden mine yet! Can you believe that! Just picked it up monday, haven't switched the title,gotten plates, all that crap.

Been busy working on a KLX300, trying to get that finished up. I got it about a month ago, and rode it about 100yards so far!:mrgreen: But, the weather has sucked, and the li'l kawi was begging for much needed maintenance!

I have not yet painted my side covers, but plan on doing it here in about another month. The Candy Sonoma red paint is a 4 step process starting with a primer coat, then 2 coats of the base color, then 2 to 3 coats of the Candy Sonoma red followed by 2 to 3 coats of clear urethane.

I have the factory color matched rear hugger, but took it off and put the stock chain guard back on painted semi-gloss black, but I am also going to paint it the factory red color when I paint the side covers as I think it will look good also painted red. :rider:

Thanks, looks great!!

Don
No problem with paint sticking/600 like ElBandito said,but i did shoot a lite coat of plastic primer out of a can/then black
No edging on tank/just like it was from factory:rider:
rworm
Oh yea, it is painted silver/White plastic under

No problem with paint sticking/600 like ElBandito said,but i did shoot a lite coat of plastic primer out of a can/then black
No edging on tank/just like it was from factory:rider:
rworm
Oh yea, it is painted silver/White plastic under

Well my cover is off, and I used some special surface prep cleaner to remove any type of wax residue from the cover, then I sanded the entire cover with 600 grit.

Tommorrow I will primer it with some left over urethane primer from Color-rite that I used when I painted an extra set of side covers on my 03 VTX 1800, and I did a test panel with the urethane primer and the semi-gloss black engine enamel from Dupla-color that I have used to paint all of the other parts black on my bike so everything will match, and there was no problems with it, and it looks good.

I've even got some better looking button head mounting screws for it, that will look even better when its painted black. :rider:

No secret that i have never liked the stock c/s cover
I took the cover off yesterday and took clutch cylinder housing off and cleaned and painted for a start to see what it would look like/ the GSXR series of bikes look sharp with all the mechanical goodies showing/so anyway for a start i put it back together to see what it looked like:zen:
bandit067-2.jpg

rworm

I don't think I'll be doing that.:mrgreen:

You aren't gonna' leave it like that are you? Actually not bad, other than the starter.

What you really need is a black motor!! :trust:

Back