PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Old Pigs New Tricks - Emma Long City Park on the 650's

gotdurt
02-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I took today off for my b-day and convinced Tony ('disbanded') to take a little time from work and join me at City Park for some play time on the pigs.

When I arrived Tony was already there and I spent a few valuable minutes setting up the helmet cam to test my new lens. Chasing Tony around one of the toughest trails in these parts on his KLR650 was sure to make for some great video :thumb:

Long story short, we had a blast. I went down once on a nasty 24" ledge followed by a steep loose slope when my motor died mid launch, locking the back wheel and sending the front down in a hurry :shock: No harm to me, just struggle getting the bike back upright and the forks straight.

We spent about an hour riding mixed laps on the front trails and about the 1st mile of the main loop and the time came for Tony to head home. I pulled my mirror out from under its rock hiding place, mounted it, then headed for the road. I suddenly remember that the camera was rolling so I stopped to turn it off... only to find a blue screen with 60 minute remaining... on a 60 min tape :doh: Apparently it somehow turned it off when puting it back in the backpack; I filmed nothing :argh:

Well, I went through the trouble of setting it up and I'm still here (although tired), so dang it, I'm going home with some sort of footage! I turned around...

Unfortunately the high contrast from the sun on the white rock and the shadows make it hard to see the trail details, but keep in mind that most of the obstacles on this trail are 12-24" high, usually accompanied by loose rocks, steep slopes and cedars that seem to reach out and grab you... It would have been much better to have footage of Tony ahead for reference, but this will have to do for now.

Note that I had some keys hanging from my backpack near the microphone, they'll help indicate when I'm hitting some big ledges.

(with music)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2017346327759742406&hl=en

(without music)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6159909540166898045

Hopefully next time I'll have time to try the full loop...

Skillet
02-01-2008, 08:19 PM
That's cool, gotdurt. I have probably ridden several hundred laps of City Park on my mountain bike over the past 15 years and recognized every ledge you went over. Pretty amazing that you guys did that on 650s! If you don't already know, some even crazier stuff exists further along the trail.

Cheers,

Ben

gotdurt
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
That's cool, gotdurt. I have probably ridden several hundred laps of City Park on my mountain bike over the past 15 years and recognized every ledge you went over. Pretty amazing that you guys did that on 650s! If you don't already know, some even crazier stuff exists further along the trail.

Cheers,

Ben
Yeah, me too (http://clfry.com/mtb/mtb.html). I actually know the full trail (and all the back trails) very well from riding my mtb, and there are 3 or 4 sections that I'm not real sure about on the big bikes. I'm sure we can get through, but not without some abuse, and definitely not by myself.

We end our main loop run at the first long set of big steps, which probably wouldn't be too tough, but there isn't another bail-out for another mile or so, so we'd have to commit... then there's that nasty sharp bend (no run) with the big steps right before that bail out, and there really isn't an alternative line, so I think I'd be there for a while...

Squeaky
02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I can't watch until I get home, but I'm kicking myself for not taking the time to set up my helmet cam last weekend. Would have been some great footage for sure. DOH!

gotdurt
02-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Just updated with the music version... much better IMO...

NX2000
02-02-2008, 12:55 AM
That was fun to watch, thanks!

gotdurt
02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I can't watch until I get home, but I'm kicking myself for not taking the time to set up my helmet cam last weekend. Would have been some great footage for sure. DOH!
That's the problem with helmet cams :argh: They are such a pain to set up and use that even though I bring it along I rarely actually use it. I intend to use it at BC though.

I forgot to mention that when I went to do the last leg of the ride on the easy trail (which is really tight, but no big ledges etc), my back-end was all over the place... somehow I managed to pinch that monster Teraflex :shock: For future reference, Teraflexes can't be ridden flat... I've never had a problem on other tires, but this thing was all over the place; there was about 18" side-to-side movement, and it could switch sides in an instant :eek2: I had to call Tony to come back in his truck and give me a lift home :doh: .

KenH
02-03-2008, 09:36 PM
"File not found"

X1Glider
02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I didn't think a big pig could fit through there. I forget a lot after 8 years when I was last there. I do remember replacing 4 tubes one day.:argh: I tell anyone, if you can ride at city park, you can ride anywhere. Good job Casey.

gotdurt
02-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I didn't think a big pig could fit through there. I forget a lot after 8 years when I was last there. I do remember replacing 4 tubes one day.:argh: I tell anyone, if you can ride at city park, you can ride anywhere. Good job Casey.
It's gotten much harder in 8 years; I've only been riding my mountain bike there for 4 years and it's become quite a bit more challenging just in that time. Motorcycles are hard on it; they scatter loose rocks on the approaches to the climbs and when they sit and spin on the ledges trying to get over, they dig and make the ledges taller.

We only ride about the 1st mile of the main loop so we can bail out without having to commit to the whole trail, then we ride the "easy" trails at the front of the park. It's still challenging and a lot of fun and we can mix up the trails and ride for an hour (if you can handle the arm pump :shock:) without getting bored. I haven't done the full main loop yet as there are 3 or 4 sections that will require some time, thought and a buddy willing to commit as well...

Wastrel
02-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Have you changed your gearing on the dr? I am looking to change mine and can't decide what to go with. The stock gearing absolutely sux offroad, hehe. I want something much shorter with a lot more low end and far less top end.

gotdurt
02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Have you changed your gearing on the dr? I am looking to change mine and can't decide what to go with. The stock gearing absolutely sux offroad, hehe. I want something much shorter with a lot more low end and far less top end.
I dropped a tooth on the countershaft, but the Teraflex is 4" larger in dia than the other tires I've used on it, so it's basically back to stock gearing. Needless to say, I use the clutch a lot on technical trails. Tony was using stock gearing on his KLR. I used to say "if you think your bike is geared to tall, you need to ride faster" :lol2:. Well, I don't say that anymore and I'm about to start searching for a 13T to use on tight trails ;-)

The Bruce
02-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I used to ride mountain bikes there 20 years ago. :eek2: Yeah, I'm getting old, Anyway, I can't imagine those ledges now. I used to have to carry the bike up one spot back then.

Tekisasu DR
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow, Casey,
The video is cool and I love the quality as well.
My Oregon Scientific does not do that good job...

Ken

LostRider
02-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Really cool video, I've been wondering what that place was like. Might have to wait till I get a smaller DS before I go there.

gotdurt
02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Really cool video, I've been wondering what that place was like. Might have to wait till I get a smaller DS before I go there.
That's what the first mile and other trails outside the main loop are like... it gets harder. There are a few beyond that 1st mile of the main loop that could really throw you for a loop... literally :shock: be ready to abuse your bike...