PDA

View Full Version : Bandit temp /oil gauges- mechanical

rworm
02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit040.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit039.jpg

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/?action=view&current=bandit038.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/th_bandit044.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/?action=view&current=bandit044.flv)

rworm

PhilS
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
That's kinda cool - I like it!

A few requests if I may.....

1) What are your water temp and oil pressure indications running?
2) Can you show us where and how you hooked them up?
3) Where did you get the gauges and who makes them

Thanks - Phil

rworm
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks - Phil

1-temp goes about 190sitting-75 degrees here-at idle 5#of oil pressure then up with RPM-can you see the video?????i may have not dun it rite:zen:
2-mechanical gauges so ill pic and explain later-IM TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-Auto Zone-Sunpro

rworm

TWTourist
02-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Thanks - Phil

+1 That looks real good. :clap: :clap:

Pics and a write up would be great. One other question, is there enough room on the right side for both gauges?

TIA

rworm
02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
yea, you could put them both on 1 side
they would definetly fit

rworm

Willie
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Nicely done!! Any idea of water-proof-ibidity??
Again, very well done!!
Willie

rworm
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
WATER RESISTANT on the box- They look sealed-But i own a seamless gutter business-water can go anywhere-

rworm

Willie
02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Tell me, the temps. got up to about 32 today and I have water dripping from around my kitchen window. Condensation frozen on the inside of the exterior wall coming in.

rworm
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
so i had to go out and start it cold-
cold start idleing:
(1)starts-temp at 100(lowest on scale)-oil pres 24pds
(2)still idleing -4 1/2 minutes temp 155-oil pres 16pds (cant hold hand on jug)
(3) " " 9 minutes temp 184-oil pres 9pds (gas it ready to ride:rider: )

(4) " " 10minutes temp 195 fan started/oil pres 6pds

not got to ride it yet-KEEP WRENCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rworm

GregH
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
It looks great, Worm. I'm interested to read how you put it together. Great job.

rworm
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Greg ,Ill try to tank tank off and get some pics and talk-Wasnt about a month ago i couldnt take a pic with digital cam-now starting to figure it out-
Time for Arkansas boy to have a BIG CAMERA:rofl: or do ya call them magnums too :rofl:

rworm

sailor
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Your temps sound OK but your oil pressure seems way to low, maybe a problem with the sender.

bones
02-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Perfect. They might be a little out of the line of sight, but what can you do. Maybe ad those mounting bases that have a bit of an angle to them to face them to the rider more. I am not so worried about oil pressure as I am with volts and temp. You can get gauges that read at lower increments also. They are waterproof. I had them (Autometer phantom's) in my Toyota and they were mounted on the dash in mounting cups, no windshield and they saw plenty of water and never skipped a beat.

I have this volt meter if anyone is interested. Got $60 into it, never used. http://www.digitalmeter.com/

rworm
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Your temps sound OK but your oil pressure seems way to low, maybe a problem with the sender.

This is a mechanical gauge-it has no sender-Oil pressure has a lot to do with RPMs-Dont think wore out yet with 3700 miles-

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/?action=view&current=bandit044.flv

HERE WATCH THE GAUGE

rworm

rworm
02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Perfect. They might be a little out of the line of sight, but what can you do. Maybe ad those mounting bases that have a bit of an angle to them to face them to the rider more. I am not so worried about oil pressure as I am with volts and temp. You can get gauges that read at lower increments also. They are waterproof. I had them (Autometer phantom's) in my Toyota and they were mounted on the dash in mounting cups, no windshield and they saw plenty of water and never skipped a beat.

I have this volt meter if anyone is interested. Got $60 into it, never used. http://www.digitalmeter.com/

Mounting bases were ugly-not ment for my application-I will fab up some offset spacers here quickly-you definetly spied me out-good job-
Oh yea(1)of them is already made:rider: :rider: :rider:

rworm

sailor
02-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Yup I'm aware that your pressure changes with rpm. What does the oil pressure read at cruising rpm? By the way, really like the install, looks great

rworm
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
looks like :storm: around Pickles Gap and Toadsuck -wanted to try and ride bike and see how gauges perform-I wanna:rider:

rworm

bones
02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Mounting bases were ugly-not ment for my application-I will fab up some offset spacers here quickly-you definetly spied me out-good job-
Oh yea(1)of them is already made:rider: :rider: :rider:

rworm
How are you fabing yours? I am thinking of going this route so they match and all that fancy BS.

MetrickMetal
02-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Heres what the service says about checking the oil pressure.

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080205/7/a/b/7ab7e825cf8d338f84a222049d8548eb0_large.jpg

Worm,

Where are you connecting the line for the oil pressure gauge to?

I don't know about the quality of the pressure gauge you are using, but you might want to consider connecting another gauge of known high quality to see how its reading compares to your current gauge your using, just so you can feel confident in its readings.

rworm
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
How are you fabing yours? I am thinking of going this route so they match and all that fancy BS.

i made some out of PVC this morning-got them how i liked -then made some out of aluminum-painted black and installed-pulled out gauges painted tach and speedo rings black so all gauges look alike-going out now to put it back together-will have some pics here shortly

rworm

rworm
02-05-2008, 01:19 PM

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080205/7/a/b/7ab7e825cf8d338f84a222049d8548eb0_large.jpg

Worm,

I don't know about the quality of the pressure gauge you are using, but you might want to consider connecting another gauge of known high quality to see how its reading compares to your current gauge your using, just so you can feel confident in its readings.
I took out the factory elect sending-installed the mech. one in its place-bike runs about 45 pds of pressure 6 gear at 55-i havent checked with another gauge but i suspect it would read the same-ill go put the dash back together and make short video and pics

rworm

rworm
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
photobucket is having site maintaince-i got some new pics of completed dash when they are thru i will post

rworm

bones
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
How visible are the gauges? Do you have to move around to get a glimpse?

rworm
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
i am 6-6 so i see them-have some pics in a few minutes-whew storming here-tornado watches now-i dont want to watch no tornado

rworm

MetrickMetal
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I took out the factory elect sending-installed the mech. one in its place-bike runs about 45 pds of pressure 6 gear at 55-i havent checked with another gauge but i suspect it would read the same-ill go put the dash back together and make short video and pics

rworm

Worm,

I was thinking that it might have been a good idea if space permits it to have installed a tee fitting that would have allowed you to leave the stock oil pressure idiot light hooked up as a backup.

rworm
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Worm,

I was thinking that it might have been a good idea if space permits it to have installed a tee fitting that would have allowed you to leave the stock oil pressure idiot light hooked up as a backup.

That is what i was going to do-install guide said not to tee"false readings''-I dont no why but several brands(ALL) said not to tee????????????:doh:

rworm

MetrickMetal
02-05-2008, 10:46 PM
That is what i was going to do-install guide said not to tee"false readings''-I dont no why but several brands(ALL) said not to tee????????????:doh:

rworm

Thats seems very strange as it should make no differance in how the gauge reads the pressure thru the line whether its hooked directly into the engine as you did, or connected to a tee fitting, as it should not have any effect on the actual pressure reading seeing as how its a static system, and teeing the pressure gauge is not going to cause any kind of pressure drop due to the fact that the fluid is not actually flowing thru the fitting, as once the engine is started, the oil going to the gauge is dead headed, and not flowing.

The reason I say this is, I learned about Pascal's law when I was studying Industrial Hydraulics and Pascal found out that, if you apply pressure to fluids that are confined (or can't flow to anywhere), the fluids will then transmit (or send out) that same pressure in all directions at the same rate, and this priciple is what allows your gauge to work in the first place.

rworm
02-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Thats seems very strange as it should make no differance in how the gauge reads the pressure thru the line whether its hooked directly into the engine as you did, or connected to a tee fitting, as it should not have any effect on the actual pressure reading seeing as how its a static system, and teeing the pressure gauge is not going to cause any kind of pressure drop due to the fact that the fluid is not actually flowing thru the fitting, as once the engine is started, the oil going to the gauge is dead headed, and not flowing.

The reason I say this is, I learned about Pascal's law when I was studying Industrial Hydraulics and Pascal found out that, if you apply pressure to fluids that are confined (or can't flow to anywhere), the fluids will then transmit (or send out) that same pressure in all directions at the same rate, and this priciple is what allows your gauge to work in the first place.

i can get a tee and hook it up easily-wonder if they will have metric tee-hard enough to find metric adapter for oil hookup?????

rworm

MetrickMetal
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
i can get a tee and hook it up easily-wonder if they will have metric tee-hard enough to find metric adapter for oil hookup?????

rworm

You'll need a metric tee, and then you will have to hopefully find a new metric compression fitting to use for you line going to the gauge that will hopefully work with the plastic tubing your using.

If not, you might have to get some new metric size plastic tubing and then you'll also need to get a metric to 1/8" npt straight adapter to screw onto the end of the gauge.

I deal with a hydraulic hose company out here in California, and they carry a good selection of metric to american adapters, and you may want to check out www.goodridge.net/usa/motorcycle.htm as Goodridge should be able to supply you with what you need.

rworm
02-14-2008, 04:59 PM

ElBandito,or anybody,
Link me up to this service manual/many thanks:sun: :sun: :rider: :rider: :eat: :eat:

rworm:rider:

rworm
02-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Worm,

THis is the link Iwanted/online manual

rworm