• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Versys

I finally got a chance to sit on one, but that's my only experience with one so far. I can tell you how it fit me, but that probably won't do you any good.

Tex

ps- Just saw you were from Houston. It was at one of the Houston dealerships where I found one to sit on, can't remember the name but it was somewhere South of downtown and NE of Sugarland if I remember right. The salesman was making noises about a test ride if I called ahead of time next time I was in town, might want to call around.

There is one at Wild West Honda in Katy. I'm not sure of their take on test rides. Its a nice bike though.

Also try searching since there was a thread on this last summer I believe.

I sat on one last fall. I like it the seating and it felt light. Dealer didn't want my KLR and I could not sell it to fund the Versys at the time. I'd still like to find one used in the next year or so for commuting and what not. I am in love with EFI on bike snow that I have the bandit.

Rode one last week at the local Kawasaki dealer. I REALLY liked it and I was there on my 04 1150RT beemer. Ups - decent power, weight, adventure touring ergos, factory bags available, overall fun factor. Downs - noticeable buzz at indicated 70-I kept trying to find another gear - it would have a +1 tooth countershaft sprocket before it left the dealer if mine and of course it's pretty much a one person bike unless your S.O. really, really loves you and is about a size 3 or smaller...

Alot of them seem to have a loud buzzzing sound...Watch a few online videos on youtube and you'll hear it..

I rode one at the Houston bike show. Nice little bike. It would be great around town. I'd ride it long distance too. It liked to do wheelies but the Kawasaki tour guide didn't. Oops.

In fact, here it is: :rider:

Picture013.jpg

Congrats. I like them and would not mind buying one maybe next year if they change the color.

I wish it had belt drive.
Any reason other than preference? I have never owned a belt drive, so I am curious to it's benefit.

The more I think about it, I'd rather have an SV650 since it's a lot more sport, and still gravel is not out of the question

Funny, Kawasaki used to put belts on their 440s. Back when they imported 440s to the US.

Any reason other than preference? I have never owned a belt drive, so I am curious to it's benefit.

Me either. I just think they are better than chains or shafts. I've always been somewhat jealous of my friends who have belt-driven bikes.

Mainly I like them because they are quiet.

From the article Transient linked to:

Belts are:

+ lighter than chains, to help reduce unsprung mass at the rear wheel.
+ do not rust
+ don't require as much adjustment, don't stretch as much
+ last longer
+ require no lubrication
+ don't leave oil splatter

I just hate chains. The shaft on my RT is heavy, with just a bit of annoying slack.

I want more bikes with belts.

After seeing this thread, I got out and went by Wild West Honda and sat on the one in the showroom. It felt nice. I'd like to ride one.

I also sat on a new KLR650 that was next to it. The Versys won the "looks" vote over the KLR from my girlfriend.

Hello again, RRM. Moved to New Braunfels? San Antonio wasn't good enough for ya?? :mrgreen:

Still enjoying the Versys??

Hi guys. I put about 3000 miles on the bike. It's a great all day runner, canyon carver, and light tourer. Great for around town commuting, or blasting down the freeway. Most of the time you have to look at the bike and remember that you are on a 650. Seems bigger and much faster.
It is nimble and quick from side to side, but dosen't do well in the dirt. I think with about $1500.00 to $2000.00, one could turn it into a great dirt bike, or just pull the motor and put it in a klr frame.......but I am sure Kawasaki has already thought of that.:lol2:
It is shorter than most bikes it size, and it would not be a good 2 up ride...no matter what you would do to it.
Well Bear, I lived at Brooks city base for a couple of years, but moved here to be around my kids for awhile. I might move back to Brooks city base though.RRM :rider:

Back