• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New HJC Sy-Max II?

Reaction score
Been shopping online for a replacement for my 5 year old HJC Sy-Max so I've been browsing everywhere. I just surfed over to check at New Enough and they have posted a new HJC Sy-Max II which I never heard of before.

Not even appearing on the HJC site itself. Sort of like the CL-Max, a smoother more modern looking lid.

Anybody got one yet? You guys in TX go check it out, yeah, I'm just chiming in from Hawaii (one the guys that found you via the Suzuki Bandit mega-thread).

Aloha,
Huladog

It's on my radar for just that reason. I'd like to try one on.

I got the Caberg Justissimo via the internet, discontinued model and not available locally specifically for the internal visor, only to find it's very close to my face on the front. I can touch the inside of the visor with my chin if I jut out my jaw, which is a little closer than I'm comfortable with. Love the helmet otherwise, but probably will replace it with another.

I just happened across this forum while searching for info on the Sy Max II. I read the review in "Rider" mag and thought this might be a good helmet as I am looking for a replacement for my CL-5. As you have found the HJC website doesn't even list it! I e mailed HJC asking them about the Sy Max II and here is their answer:

"In response to your inquiry, you won't find anything on our site until February 18. The Sy-Max II will be released into the market by the end of the month for the Spring Season 2008. Thanks for your support in HJC.

We appreciate your business and contributions in making HJC Helmet North America's number one helmet selling company for the past decade.

Please visit www.hjchelmets.com for our new and exciting product line (FS-10, AC-3 Carbon, SPX, CS-R1, CS-MX, AC-12 Carbon) alongside recent past models.
There are still more new models to come very soon in the future!"

The only on line site I've found listing them is Newenough.com. They show availability in late Feb, but when I tried to add one in my cart it wouldn't let me. I plan to call them and try to get on the list for one. If I remember right the price was $209, not bad!

BTW, I'm glad I ran across this forum. I will be retiring from the military within the near future and will most likely end up in TX. Now I can get ahead in learning about some good rides in TX! Thanks.

cgtk, welcome to the site! Now, two things. Post up an introduction and have pics of your bike with it. You will be asked. :welcome:

Update. I got a chance to try on a Sysmax, old model not the new one, and I wasn't a big fan on the fit or material used for the lining. I then tried a Nolan N-102. The fit was wonderful, as was the paint job. The fact that it was pre-plumbed for an intercom in the future was icing on the cake. I ended up getting one. I was concerned about increased road noise due to the flip up external sun visor, but haven't noticed much yet.

Nolan will also be releasing a new helmet this spring. It has the internal visor as well. Don't recall the model #. I have the N102 and will likely take a look when thet are released.

I'm glad the internal visors are catching on. I'll also look at the Caberg Trip if they ever release it in the states. I do think it's funny that I've been riding a little over half a year and already have three helmets, but only one motorcycle.

I ordered a Symax II from Newenough.com yesterday. Great price. I will post pics and a review soon.

I ordered mine last week. Should be here any day now, I was hoping for today since it was actually a nice day and I could test it out! Likewise, I'll let you know how it works out.

Eagerly waiting for you guys to road test it for the rest of us. In the meantime I got replacement liners for my old Sy-Max to "renovate" it and size down to a Large (originally an XL but got kinda loose), now snug and tight so that I'll keep it for awhile longer.

I got a discontinued graphics Scorpion EXO700 from an eBay store since I wanted to try a full-face helmet to compare. Marked down to $129 so not an expensive experiment. Oddly, just like WebBikeWorld review says the liner smells like chocolate, no kidding! Got this one in XL since I need the room by the cheekpads to slip my glasses onto my ears.

No time to road test so no comparison to the flip-up style yet, but I miss the convenience of the flip chin bar with my glasses. Hope it's quieter so the hassles with the glasses will be worth it. Quality of the Scorpion is better than my old Sy-Max, so hopefully the Sy-Max II will be higher quality although some online reviews were disappointed in the quality of current HJC stuff like the FS-Max.

Aloha,
Huladog

Look forward to reviews on the Sy-Max II, looks nice and a good upgrade to my now old Sy-Max...

"In response to your inquiry, you won't find anything on our site until February 18. The Sy-Max II will be released into the market by the end of the month for the Spring Season 2008. Thanks for your support in HJC.

Please visit www.hjchelmets.com for our new and exciting product line (FS-10, AC-3 Carbon, SPX, CS-R1, CS-MX, AC-12 Carbon) alongside recent past models.
There are still more new models to come very soon in the future!"

So far, I'm still not seeing any info on HJC's own website. :( My 1st gen Sy-Max is about worn out, so I'm eager to hear what people think of it when they get 'em.

A Rep at Honda of Houston told me they have already placed an order for Sy-Max IIs and they are expecting them to arrive within 4 weeks...

Just got notification it's due here next week, but currently in IL with "adverse weather". Newenough.com does have specs listed and the current "rider" mag has a review.

And then, I rode to the Pie Run in Sealy with it and when I got back home I put it on Advrider and sold it. The fit was almost identical to the original symax I own. I thought the helmet was noisy and seemed to vibarate. My poor teeth bout rattled out. The sheild fogged easily and was hard to close all the way when using the tab. I liked the sun shield. Easy to put down and pops up witha touch of a button on the top of the helmet. I think I will stick it out with the Scorpion 700 for now since I really like it.

Having tolerated the liabilities of my 1st gen Symax, I'm curious how they compared? Was it louder than the original?

A few weeks ago, a moto mag website had a review of the II, don't remember which one as I simply did a basic search on the gen II. Their opinion was they liked the sunshield, but preferred the 1st gen. Said it didn't seal out the rain as well, had more wind noise (likely due to the new shield mechanism and design). What a shame.

I've had 2 1st gen Symaxes over the past 8 years and liked them for the most part. I found the Symax to have the easiest to operate release latch. Seemed to fit my head the best too.

The only things I would have changed is a more water proof seal for the visor and a metal latching mechanism. A couple more vents would be a bonus too. Seems like they missed the mark on the 2nd gen. I guess I'll be exploring other brands in the future or I'll find a leftover Gen 1.

It was louder than the original. X1glider said it perfect.

The new Nolan is model N103. Has an inside shade rather than the outside in the N102. Killeen Power Sports has the HJC SyMax II in stock. I went with the older N102 as the HJC does not have a chin dam.

Figures that Nolan would come out with a internal shade model right after I buy a N102.:doh:

Got my Sy Max II on Thursday and took it for a spin yesterday. I've never heard such a loud helmet! It started picking up noise at about 25 mph and just kept getting louder. I raised the chin bar at about 30 mph and most of the noise was gone. I believe the groves in the piece that hinges the chin bar are causing most of the noise. There was also a little bit of vibration. On the good side, I liked the drop down tinted visor and it fit great. I really liked it until I took it riding. Bottom line, it's packed up to be returned. The search continues.

Does anyone have experience with the Sy Max or CL Max? Thanks.

Darn, looks like the search for a replacement for the Sy-Max I continues now that you guys have road tested and say its still noisy.

Been using my new Scorpion EXO 700 to compare how a full-face helmet works and I was shocked how much quieter it is compared to the original Sy-Max. I always wear ear plugs but as soon as I rolled away from home I could tell how quiet the Scorpion is even with all the vents open. Visor seals nicely, vents flow air pretty good, can hear the air rustling through the helmet but no booming or loud whistling from all over the place like the old Sy-Max.

Yeah, big hassle since I wear glasses but now I have something to compare against the newer flip-front helmets. OK, the quest for a quiet flip-front continues .... maybe Scorpion will come out with a new one, or I might need to try the Caberg Trip via eBay.

Aloha,
Huladog

Back