• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Front Brake Project

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
Ever since I bought my 07 Bandit, one of the first things I found I did not like was the look of the front brake lines, and how the crossover line to the left caliper runs across the front fender.

There are two 5mm tapped holes centered on the bottom edge of the lower triple tree that will work perfectly for mounting a new billet aluminum brake line manifold to.

I will run a new S/S braided brake line from the reservoir down to the manifold, and from there run two new S/S braided lines down to each caliper.

I'll post up pictures when I get it all installed hopefully within the next week or so, and it should go really well with stripping the black paint off of the lower legs, which I plan to do next week also when I have my front rim off to install a new tire. :rider:

It's often cheaper (fewer fittings) and easier to bleed if you use two separate lines from the master cylinder to each calipers.

It's often cheaper (fewer fittings) and easier to bleed if you use two separate lines from the master cylinder to each calipers.

AXEL,

I used this same method many times on my bikes, and I've never had a problem with bleeding the brakes, and when you use two separate lines from the master cylinder, it harder to make the lines run as cleanly as opposed to coming off of a manifold block, which can be made wider, so that the lines run almost straight down to the calipers.

I have a local Industrial hose supply company that carry’s all sorts of fittings and adapters for motorcycle brake lines, and what I first do is install some fittings and get a rough measurement of the length of the brake lines, using some 1/4" OD plastic tubing that I have, and have the -3 S/S braided line cut about 2" longer than what I think its needs to be.

I then have one end crimped on one end of each new line, then I install the lines and make one final length check, mark the fittings for the other end for correct orientation to the first, then I take the lines back and have them cut to final lenght and the fittings crimped on. ;-)

ElBandito,
Pascals law is applied here also correct?????
That made sense to me;-)
Applies to everything hydraulic I would think -so no matter how long your brake lines are ---pressure should be equal??????????RIGHT--THIS WOULD CONTRADICT THE OIL PRESSURE TEE THEORY-You have to explain this to me.

rworm

ElBandito,
Pascals law is applied here also correct?????
That made sense to me;-)
Applies to everything hydraulic I would think -so no matter how long your brake lines are ---pressure should be equal??????????RIGHT--THIS WOULD CONTRADICT THE OIL PRESSURE TEE THEORY-You have to explain this to me.

rworm

Yes, Pascal's law applies to any confined, pressurized fluid, so why do you think it doesn't apply to having a tee in your oil pressure gauge supply line?

AXEL,

I used this same method many times on my bikes, and I've never had a problem with bleeding the brakes, and when you use two separate lines from the master cylinder, it harder to make the lines run as cleanly as opposed to coming off of a manifold block, which can be made wider, so that the lines run almost straight down to the calipers.

I have a local Industrial hose supply company that carry’s all sorts of fittings and adapters for motorcycle brake lines, and what I first do is install some fittings and get a rough measurement of the length of the brake lines, using some 1/4" OD plastic tubing that I have, and have the -3 S/S braided line cut about 2" longer than what I think its needs to be.

I then have one end crimped on one end of each new line, then I install the lines and make one final length check, mark the fittings for the other end for correct orientation to the first, then I take the lines back and have them cut to final lenght and the fittings crimped on. ;-)

The tee is above the fender so the lines can ride up and down with the suspension-if you run 2 singles up the forks you will need to leave plenty of slack-interested in this as it would look a lot cleaner-ready to see the master cyl. that you fab up-thats acool idea:clap:

I ment manifold fab

rworm

The tee is above the fender so the lines can ride up and down with the suspension-if you run 2 singles up the forks you will need to leave plenty of slack-interested in this as it would look a lot cleaner-ready to see the master cyl. that you fab up-thats acool idea:clap:

I ment manifold fab

rworm

I have set many of my bikes with a custom brake line manifold and S/S braided brake lines, and a manifold allows the lines running from the manifold to the caliper to be fairly short, and run pretty much parallel to the fork legs, and bow and flex nicely as the fork compresses.

What you have to do to make sure that your new brake lines are long enough but not to long, is to raise the bike up so that the fork are completely extended, then measure the length of the lines from the manifold to the caliper, so that they are just long enough without being pulled tight, with maybe 1" extra in length.

This makes sure that you don't run the risk of having the lines damaged or pulled apart if the forks top out while riding, and it also insures that when the fork is compressed, the lines aren't too long to where they bow excessively and look funny. :rider:

Heres what the billet aluminum manifold is going to look like.
0534376472ad09cf007c118949e9909e0_large.jpg

That is definetly good strategy on the setup!!!!!!!!!
Same problem now as your rear rack-pictures are not coming thru -sounds like everyone else can see them but i cant-

rworm

I kinda like the black fork legs, I think it makes the bike look more bad a.. ,I know its just my opinion, Wonder why some bandits come with black and others with silver?

I stripped the black off of the lower legs today, and I think they look much better natural finish than painted black. The paint stripped of very easily, and tomorrow I am going to spray the lower legs with some clear urethane to protect the aluminum and make them easier to keep clean.

Its funny, but to me the silver finish makes the legs appear bigger and beefier looking than they do painted black, and I feel the my bike really needed a little bit of silver color up front to balance things out.

I may have to pull the swing arm off and strip the black paint off of it also. I'm going to machine up the brake manifold Saturday and get the brake lines made up next week :rider:

56fdf83d961c2f5feadb3dfe33e7fb6a0_medium.jpg

I have been busy with some other projects, so I am finally going to finish up my brake line project this week.

This is what the finished manifold looks like, and all I have to do is remove all the stock brake lines today and attach the manifold to the lower tree and attach each of the straight ends to the fittings on the manifold and do the final lenght check and mark each line and take them over tomorrow and have a the banjo fittings crimped on each end.

The reason the manifold looks like it does is because the threaded holes that are in the lower tree are not centered and are offset about 14mm, so to keep the fittings centered between the fork tubes I had to compensate for this in the design of the manifold.

I stripped the blue anodizing off of the two fittings and polished them up along with the manifold. I should be able to post up picture when its all installed by Thursday. :rider:

album26906.jpg

Well I just got done installing my new billet manifold and custom S/S braided front brake lines on my 1250S.

The lines came out real nice and clear both the forks and fender without the need of any sort of guides, so next week I will pull the front fork tube off again and cut off the mounting tabs for the reflectors as well as the mounting lugs on the top of each lower leg, the the stock brake line attached to, which will really clean up the looks of the lower legs.

Since I have already stripped the black paint off of the lower legs, after I finish cutting off the tabs, I am going to paint the lower legs with an aluminum color engine enamel from Dupla-Color that I found at Pep Boys that almost perfectly matches the color of the engine.

It looks so much cleaner not having that ugly black brake line running across the back of the fender, and I plugged the hole in the fender that the stock hose retainer plugged into with a nice low profile black plastic plug I had.

BrakeLines004.jpg

BrakeLines003.jpg

That looks really good:clap:
rworm

I also like what you have done to your bike, as thats what it all about, and by sharing the stuff we all to to our bikes with others on the board, hopefully it will help others with performing custom mods on their bikes. :rider:

SWEET, BEAUTIFUL, I'M JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Back