• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inaugural VStrom Ride - Marble Falls 1/15/05

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
:sleep: The morning started off early and dark. 6:30 am is normally not part of my vocabulary, but today was an exception - I was excited to be awake and get myself (and dower's borrowed truck) on the road from Huntsville. I was, after all, on my westward way to meet my new steed! :mrgreen: Taquitos for the road, and I was in Round Rock before too long heading north to Georgetown to meet Kurt (txmedic).

We geared up, got on the big 'ol Road King (after tightening something that was loose, go figure :moon: ) and headed out toward Leander where my VStrom was waiting for me. Along the way, Kurt pointed out the 5 - that's right 5 - toll roads being constructed through Austin and surrounding parts :shame: . He also showed me the now infamous Taco Cabana that will never be forgotten. Yes, it does exist - I saw it with my own eyes :nana .

We arrived at Don's house, went out to the garage, and the bike had a sheet over it keeping dust off. The unveiling... I caught the drool before it hit the ground :hail . My bike was a beauty. Almost as soon as it was uncovered I was on it - and my legs both dangled in the air :shock: ! It was on the center stand, so we got it down to see if I could really reach the ground. I got the meat of my boots down, so it was close and if Deb can tippy-toe a bike, I'd certainly be able to manage with this.

We looked over the bike, he found the paperwork, and we talked bikes for a bit. The sale of the Strom will not leave him without a ride - his BMW 1100 GS was there, as well as two dirt bikes (at least one was his teenage daughter's), and his wife's Beemer was in the shop. Hopefully he'll be along as a new member of TWT. We practiced getting it on and off the center stand. Not an easy task for me, but with more practice it will become second nature. I'm just afraid of it falling away from me, since it's a much heavier bike than I'm used to.

Kurt and I mounted up and headed off to meet the others at the gas station just down the street on 1431. We were running pretty close to schedule, and waiting for us were SVinAustin, Woodbutcher, Buck000, and Irondawg. As I filled the tank, Fastraveller and Pdef rolled in. We all chatted for a bit, talked about the officer with the radar gun just down the road :angryfir: , and buck snapped a few pics. All of Buck's Pics

The parking lot

[IMG tag changed to URL because image wider than 500 :-P - Admin]

Woodbutcher headed off for family obligations (congrats to his daughter for winning her game! :chug: ) and the rest of us took off (a little behind schedule) down 1431 towards Marble Falls and the infamous Blue Bonnet Cafe. John lead the way, but he was soon a distant spec on the horizon. I had a total of 2 miles under my belt on the new bike, and was already careening down a twisty fun road. Suffice to say my pace was nothing like John's, so he eventually pulled over to wait for the rest of us and he let me pass and lead the way into town. Sorry if I spoiled the fun for you guys, but I didn't ask to be out front! :oops:

I felt the ease of turning the bike almost immediately. I love the tall, upright riding position compared to the SV, and just as I expected, it was as though I thought left and the bike went left. Think right, go right. No more concious push/pull the way I'd ridden hunched over the tank before. It was a bit chilly, but warming up as the ride headed into town. Buck took the lead as we reached the intersection, and we were parked at the Blue Bonnet before too long. Bluedogok was there and waiting for us. I hope not for too long... I figured out where my helmet lock was (but it's not convenient to use, so I'll have to consider an alternative) and we went inside.

I don't think it was me, but the locals seemed a little pushy abou getting in the door and moving the line forward. Hey, we're all waiting for a table, no need to squeeze into a hallway! :miffed: Once seated, we ordered and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and lively conversation. I love being in the middle of the table and being able to participate in what's going on at both ends! When the waitress came around and got the obligatory pie orders, I passed. I was already full and knew these guys would be taking me out on some more fun roads, so I wanted to make sure I still fit on the bike! Well, sure enough, when all the pie was on the table I just couldn't resist - peanut butter pie please! :angel: (hey, I have more space between my belly and the tank now!) It was fun to watch Buck drizzle his chocolate sauce over the whipped cream-covered pie and pose it for pics on the table as if he was marketing it for a commercial.

After rolling my over-full self out the door and back to the bikes, we discussed ride options and said goodbye to those that would not be joining us. John describes some big pink rock ten minutes that-a-way from the cafe that he thinks would be great for some pics of my new bike. He, Kurt, David, and myself headed out to "the rock" and snapped a few pics.

bigpinkrock0jr.jpg

groupatrock0gh.jpg

From there, we followed John (albeit slower than he would normally ride, thank goodness) back down 1431, then over to Lime Creek Road and some other road that starts with a B. All of it was lots of fun, but those elevation changes and posted 20mph turns are a little scary for me still. I'm sorta afraid of heights (yes, I was reminded that at no time was I more than 3 feet from the ground...) and the idea of sliding out and falling over the side of a cliff gets me panicking plenty. :puke: This was one heck of a get-to-know-my-new-bike route! We even did a low water crossing. Ok, it was more like a puddle, but it was still water on the road and I'll count that for something! David split off and headed home, and the three of us remaining headed back. Once John waved goodbye and split off, Kurt and I were zooming up the freeway - and with MUCH power to spare on the Strom! :twisted: I only hit 6th gear once because I wanted to see that I actually HAD a sixth gear, I didn't actually need it.

:kiss: Thank you to everyone who came out and supported me on my first ride out with the new bike. Thanks also to those of you who couldn't make it but rooted for me here on the forum. I will say it time and again - the socialization is as much a part of my love for motorcycles as the roads themselves. You all make for happier days, countless memories, and lots of pics accumulating to show for it! :chug:

My impression of my bike after 120 miles: I LOVE IT!!!! The seat height and comfort will have to be looked into, but aren't bad at all as is. I think I'll try a stock seat for a day to see how that feels in comparison and see if I want to sell the one it came with. The weight and feel of the bike are exactly what I was looking for in a bigger bike, and the position and feel of the handlebars are very natural. My left hand has to reach in pretty far to use the turn signals, but short thumbs are easily overcome. :bigokay: The wind is perfectly positioned over the windscreen and right over my shoulders and around my head. Not sure why everyone on the VStrom forum whines about needing all different kinds of tall, short, or adjustable windscreens, but the stock seems just right for me. Before heading out, John cranked up the preload on the rear, and it seems Ok to me. I'm sure it will need adjusting depending on road conditions, but I've never been able to tell a huge difference between a good and a bad suspension. :shrug: The gears shifted effortlessly, and the pegs were easy to get up on as we crossed cattleguards and railroad tracks. I had to remind myself to ease up on the grips - the throttle return spring is much easier to keep a handle on than the SV, and I could just rest my hand on there and not worry about it cutting off the throttle unexpectedly if I let up.

After a long drive home, I am now waiting for help to get the bike out of the truck. Despite my best plea-bargaining, Kurt wouldn't go for the "load it backwards so I can ride it out myself when I get home" idea. I wouldn't dare roll it backwards down a ramp alone, so I wait. Not so patiently, I might add - I might have to knock on my neighbor's door to get it on the ground so I can go for a (chilly) ride tomorrow. Big thanks to Kurt for helping me find, look over, buy, and pick up my new baby. He says if I didn't make an offer, he would have. He doesn't need it anyway - he just got himself a new SVS!

dscn04838sm.jpg

Great write-up! I didn't have the SV until after you sealed the deal, so it was the consolation prize so to speak. :-D Two hours to Houston from my house. :rofl Glad you and the bike made it home OK.

Yes, excellent report - ending is a little sad :-( with the bike still in the truck, but that should change today, right?

But - Congratulations, welcome to the V-Strom community!

Now, could you match first names with screen names of the folks in the write-up and pictures (figured out Kurt & Rebecca)? :-? I'm so confused...

Great to hear you had a great day. Waht a beautiful cool, clear day for a ride. Thats a nice ride you picked up there, I love that pic of you on the pink rock. Glad you enjoyed the ride and the pie.

We'll see you in a couple a weeks in Hico, coinicidently for more pie.

Gilk51 said:
Now, could you match first names with screen names of the folks in the write-up and pictures (figured out Kurt & Rebecca)? :-? I'm so confused...

Lets see if I can help out with this. We had:

Rebecca, aka Squeaky
Kurt, aka txmedic
Paul, aka Buck000
Phillip, aka pdef
David, aka Fastraveller
Rusty, aka Woodbutcher
Scott, aka Bluedogok

and of course, me. Think I got everyone right here. Hope that helps

SVinAustin said:
Rebecca, aka Squeaky
Kurt, aka txmedic
Paul, aka Buck000
Phillip, aka pdef
David, aka Fastraveller
Rusty, aka Woodbutcher
Scott, aka Bluedogok

Don't forget John :irondawg". There, now that should be everyone...

I had lots of fun you guys. Yes, the Strom should be out of the truck in the next few hours. Just too cold to go out and do it just yet...

I would have loved to go riding down those roads with yall, but I needed to get home before it got too chilly. Maybe next time.

Squeaky said:
SVinAustin said:
Rebecca, aka Squeaky
Kurt, aka txmedic
Paul, aka Buck000
Phillip, aka pdef
David, aka Fastraveller
Rusty, aka Woodbutcher
Scott, aka Bluedogok

Don't forget John :irondawg". There, now that should be everyone...

I had lots of fun you guys. Yes, the Strom should be out of the truck in the next few hours. Just too cold to go out and do it just yet...

Oops, how could I forget John, I still owe him a sawbuck. Sorry John, I get it back to you in a couple of weeks.

Really, I promise.

Congrats on the inaugural ride! 8-) Wish we could have arranged for my ride group to hook up with yours yesterday.

Great description of the ride. All I got from Philip was..."How was your ride? Kinda chilly but really fun. Where all did ya'll ride? I dunno."

You are a lot braver than me. I wouldnt have felt very comfortable on unfamiliar roads on an unfamaliar bike. COngrats!

kawgrl said:
All I got from Philip was..."How was your ride? Kinda chilly but really fun. Where all did ya'll ride? I dunno."

Just like men to skip all the details! Sorry you couldn't make it out - heard it was your first day at the new job. Congrats!

Well, I just have to say that I am impressed with all the support that Ms. Rebecca got from all the people spread over a several hundred mile area.

How many of ya'll knew each other before the meeting at the gas station with her new 'Strom?

I'll say again, I'm impressed - well done, all.

Gilk51 said:
How many of ya'll knew each other before the meeting at the gas station with her new 'Strom?

It was a pleasure for me to meet these guys for the first time:

Phillip, aka pdef
David, aka Fastraveller
Rusty, aka Woodbutcher

Everyone else I had met and/or ridden with.

The only people that I hadn't met before that day were woodbutcher and fastraveler. Everyone else had come around for a ride or bike night at some point.

I had met or rode with everyone but Phillip (pdef) and David (Fastraveller) before. I still haven't met Rusty (Woodbutcher) since I met the group in Marble Falls.

Everybody out there was a new face to me. I knew I wanted to get out and explore a little on Saturday and saw that the meeting place was near where I wanted to go so I made it part of the trip.

Actually turned out to be my whole trip. I got busy around the house and didn't get to check out a couple of the dirt roads in that area I wanted to explore.

That pie sure looked good in the pictures. Wish I had the time to tag along for that part.

Sweet ride, I can already visualize squeaky and snoopster zooming around on the roads in Arkansas on their new rides. :chug:

txmedic said:
Gilk51 said:

It was a pleasure for me to meet these guys for the first time:

Phillip, aka pdef
David, aka Fastraveller
Rusty, aka Woodbutcher

Everyone else I had met and/or ridden with.

Ditto.

ride report

I was a newbie. Everyone made me feel very comfortable and welcome during lunch and other stops that were made on the ride. The ride went very well and at a nice pace.

BTW, if Rebecca had any concerns about riding a new bike on new roads, I sure couldn't tell!

A big Thank You to everyone, ;-)

Ride Safe but have fun,
David

Well I know I am late chiming in but still, I am so very happy for you. I hope it does all that you want it to do and then some more.

Way to go on a dream come true

congrats on your new ride,you'll be able to ride a lot further since this bike is more comfortable for the long haul than alley was.i purchased a new bike also,not quite an adventute tourer,just a tourer,an 05 gold wing. my wife got tired of being left behind so we got somthin we would both be comfortable on,debating on keepin the falco or gettin an adventure bike.enjoy your new strom.

Back