• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ST stands for SToppies

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Thanks for the tip on cleaning the brake pistons Paul!!

Against my better judgement, I decided to tackle this on my own. (I am sure that even the slightly mechanically knowledgeable types consider this as simple as brushing teeth, but I am typically not inclined to do anything more complicated to my bike than a wash.)

Atypically for me, the whole process went smooth & easy, with nary a missing piece or bunged knuckle. The result: "Oh, so this is how the brakes are supposed to feel!!"

Now I just have to remember not to ham-fist the brake when I take it out next time!

To describe my mechanical abilities: The tool box in my truck has 5 hammers, but only 2 wrenches, and twice repairs to my XR included the use of a rip saw.

STrider said:
To describe my mechanical abilities: The tool box in my truck has 5 hammers, but only 2 wrenches, and twice repairs to my XR included the use of a rip saw.

You add bailing wire and duct tape to that and you can fix anything worth fixing, right?

STrider said:

Do you have a Jeep? That sounds like a rock crawler's toolkit.

Nope, Dodge. I can think of some things I would like to do to the Dodge with those hammers though. long story--> lets just say I will NOT be buying a chrysler product again

STrider said:
lets just say I will NOT be buying a chrysler product again

I'll second that. I won't be buying another Dodge Ram, either.

STrider said:
Thanks for the tip on cleaning the brake pistons Paul!!

You're welcome! Giving credit where credit is due - I think it was Patrick Hart at Motorcycles Unlimited who suggested that to me. He gave me a very succinct description of how to properly install, clean and break in new brake pads when I bought my first replacement set from him.

STrider said:
...repairs to my XR included the use of a rip saw.
scared.gif

Back