PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new front turn signal

sailor
02-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Bike fell over from a dead stop and punched out my right forward turn signal, broke it in a couple of pieces. Finally got a new one and wondered if anyone else has replaced a turn signal light and the best and easiest way to do it..

FirstMan
02-15-2008, 01:22 AM
It all depends on how it is wired. My favorite is the BMW/Ducati blinkers, you unplug the wires from inside the housing, take out the one scew that hold the light to the bike and then replace. 5 minutes top and only cost $15.

I have had others on mid 80s Japanese bikes that requried feeding wires through small holes and the stem was bolted to the bike (had to pull plastics to get to the bolt)

Pretty much there will either be a screw holding the stem on to the plastic or a bolt on the back side. 1-2 screws holding on the lense. After that you are on your own.

kurt
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
On the previous generation, you just unplugged it behind the fairing, removed the 10mm mounting nut and the whole thing came off. A swap took about 5 minutes including finding the right size wrench.

DaveC
02-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Since you did not specify color of bike I just chose the yellow.
http://www.duckproducts.com/common/graphics/products/duckproducts/productshots/00-03292.gif

:lol2:

sailor
02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Cute on the yellow duct tape, right now its got black electrical tape holding it together. Its a 2007 1250 and I'm trying to figure out how many things I have to take apart until I can reach the plug, the question should have been clearer. I can take it apart easy enough to replace the light assembly but how much to I have to take apart to get at the electrical plug.

kurt
02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
You can't see it behind the fairing by chasing the wire? It should be easily accessible.

suzukijo
02-15-2008, 08:38 PM
go to shiled replacement instructions.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23266

all you need is to take the instruments out, me thinks.
of course no need to take shield off, or flat plastic trim, but pictures showsthe end is tie wrapped to the front fairing bracket, you need to use a flat bladed screwdriver to pry the plastic clip open, off the metal bracket, that its held tightly too.

sailor
02-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

GregH
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
If it's just the turn signal stalk you should be able to reach under the fairing and like TXMedic said, simply unbolt the 1 bolt there. I dropped mine on the left side and it pushed the turn signal part-way through the fairing. Fortunately, no damage. I disassembled the turn indicator stalk (the portion the attaches to the fairing), slipped it back through and tightened that bolt. All is well.

Your fairing wasn't damaged was it?

sailor
02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Broke the signal light so have to replace the complete assembly including wiring. I understand how to reattach the signal light, just wasn't sure what I had to take apart to get at the wiring where it plugs in. No damage to the fairing..Cheers

GregH
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh, wires have to come out too? Then you'll need to pull the interior fairing and the gauge cluster as Jo pointed out above. Shouldn't be too bad, though. Pay attention to the long bolts vs short bolts and which holes they go in.