PDA

View Full Version : Hello...New Member New Owner

jyklnhyde2
02-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Everybody. I just bought a new 2007 Bandit 1250s and I have to say its a great bike. I have put 300 miles on her in two days and im having a blast. Great power, looks. I really like the way it handles to. I went to the fourth position on the preload on the front shocks and went to number two on the rear. The bike is not as choppy now. Im 5'10 170 so it feels much better now.

My question is the dealer wants to sell me a service contract (3 years) and a extended warranty contract (3 years) for 1398.00. They told all services and warranty would be taken care of for three years. This includes the first 600 mile service. What do you think? Is it worth it? I have the extra money but want to get other opinions?

Thanks.....Jykl:rider:

NUTT
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Does the service contract cover all oil changes (including materials) & labor on all tire changes in 3 years? (my guess is "no")

What is your yearly mileage?

What is your mechanical aptitude? Can you change the oil? Can you change your own tires? Can you pull the head and do internal work?

$1398 (+ tax I'm sure) would be a bit of a ripoff for me at about 15K miles per year.

If you are in the 2-5K miles per year range, it becomes a HUGE waste of money because you won't even make it to your first major service interval in that time perioud. If you are in the 30K miles per year range, it might make sense because you'll have multiple services in 90K miles over 3 years.

etcthorne
02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm with NUTT on the warranty thing. I got a 3 year thrown in (regular extended - doesn't include oil changes and other maintenance) with the bike for $7,250 OTD.

Most things with a Motorcycle are pretty simple. Changing the oil is easier than doing it for a car. Adjust the chain, clean the air filter, replace the plugs - all of this is pretty straightforward, and procedures (and very nice pictures and directions) are available from the really great folks on this website. About the only thing I'd have a dealer do is replace the tires and adjust the valves at 14K miles.

None of this is worth the price you mention. I would consider paying the $400.00 for the extended parts/service warranty, but some here would also consider this a bit extravagant, based on Suzuki's reliability.

Good luck, whatever your choice.

busarider1
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the board and congrats on the new bandit. I'd skip on that warranty. It's a bit pricey.

etcthorne
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah.... WELCOME!!!! And before someone else says "this post is worthless without pictures..." or words to that effect.... post a picture of the Bandito.

jyklnhyde2
02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I paid 7900.00 OTD. I thought that was a good deal....maybe not? I will post picture soon. My camera is at work.

It was my understanding that it included the oil and labor. I will check on that while i have some time.

I will probably ride between 4000-5000 miles a year. It gets to hot to ride in the summer here!

I was worried that might not be enough mileage? Didnt want her to sit and dry up?

Thanks for the posts. It looks like its not a good deal so far?

Tourmeister
02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab I'd forgo the stuff for all the service. About the only thing you'd need it for is valve inspections/adjustments. Not sure what the inspection interval is on the new bandits but I assume is it at least every 16K miles. Most shops I have priced charge about $400-500 for a valve inspection/adjustment checkup. So unless you have that done three times in the three years, you really aren't getting much for your money. As for stuff like changing oil, tires, chain, etc,... that is all very easy to do, even for people not real mechanically inclined. If you have any local riding clubs/groups in your area, you can probably even find people that have all the stuff you need. We often do TWT maintenance days where all of these things are done. It is a great way to meet other folks, learn about your bikes, and just have a great time.

:tab I've done the warranty and not done it. I have needed it once or twice on some bikes and never on other bikes. So it is hard to say... Consider that most shops charge anywhere from $65-95/hr plus the cost of any parts and it does not take much of a problem before the warranty has paid for itself, even if there is a small deductible ($100 most of the time I think). It saved me a LOT of money on my BMW R1150GS. However, on my VFR's, I never needed it even though I bought it. Saved me on my Saturn car though... big time :dude:

RedPill
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the site. If you decide to get the extended warranty, check Oneida Suzuki (http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/home.php). I found that the extended warranty on my S40 there was about 40% of what it would have been at the dealer.

jyklnhyde2
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Thumper Dan....Your right about the warranty at Oneida. The dealer here wanted 548.00 for the 36 month warranty. Onieda is 249.99 for the same one. The savings is close to 200.00. I like this site already.

Thanks a lot!:clap:

etcthorne
02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Jyklnhyde2: I don't know where my head was at - I paid $8,250 OTD (not $7,250) with a 4 year extended warranty. I think you got a good deal on your bike!!!

GregH
02-18-2008, 05:59 PM
...And before someone else says "this post is worthless without pictures..."
That would be me! :mrgreen:
Post 'em when you've got 'em, we love pictures of Bandits! :clap:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/282628674.jpg

KenB
02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome aboard, jykl!

suzukijo
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
$1400 service contract seems way out of the ballpark.
if you read the fine print, all normal wear parts are not covered.
first year warranty is by suzuki so your paying for 2 not 3 years. (or would it be a true 4 year warranty?)
all service covered? all is the key word, read the fine print. its never all.
as other suggested, if you look you can find the ext warr much cheaper.
dealers, know that you will want to take care of your new bike, and jack up cost of ext warr, and often times make more profit there, as well as other things, if they can sell it to you at the time of sale.

Quick-Silver
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I paid 7900.00 OTD. I thought that was a good deal....maybe not? I will post picture soon. My camera is at work.

It was my understanding that it included the oil and labor. I will check on that while i have some time.

I will probably ride between 4000-5000 miles a year. It gets to hot to ride in the summer here!

I was worried that might not be enough mileage? Didnt want her to sit and dry up?

Thanks for the posts. It looks like its not a good deal so far?

In your case, I would forgo the extended warranty and because of the low estimated annual miles forgo the service plan as well.

I have had three service plans that were for 3 years each unlimited scheduled maintenance. For me they were money makers in that the breakeven point was at between 20-25k miles and I put that amount of miles on in a year.

Now from a cash outlay point of view, I could have done all the maintenances myself and saved cash.:trust:

Marc B
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Jyklnhyde2: I don't know where my head was at - I paid $8,250 OTD (not $7,250) with a 4 year extended warranty. I think you got a good deal on your bike!!!

Me too, but no ext. warr.

dwoodul
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Welcome jyklnhyde2 - you got a good deal on your bike. I shoped around a LOT and had to go out-of-state to find a 2007 1250 non-abs for 7,500 OTD. The next best was $7,900. You'll love the bike and will drop a lot of cash on add-ons... :mrgreen:

Welcome,

Ol Dave