• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW in the Woodlands (merged)

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Lillich
For those who care I let BMW of North Houston work on my 91 R100GS. I really thought that I was going to be happy with them back in April. I had a transmission seal leak and needed it fixed while I was gone to West Virginia on a trip. They even came to my house and picked the bike up! I was told the cost would be about 700 dollars which I thought was a little high, but I needed it done and I was going to be gone. Did I mention that they picked the bike up April 25? Well, finally July 8 I get a call that it is ready! I can't tell you how many times I called only to be told that they were waiting on a special tool or had the wrong part. I picked the bike up July 11 and the charged me 1478 dollars. They said I had to have a new drive shaft too! The **** bike only has 8K miles on it. I would think that a dealer would be able to work on a bike even if it is 15 years old. I love the bike and hope I did right by buying it, but so far my dealings with BMW have been less than acceptable. Is this the norm? Is there a better dealer in the Houston area to deal with? :giveup:

Re: BMW of North Houston

treysmagna said:
I love the bike and hope I did right by buying it, but so far my dealings with BMW have been less than acceptable. Is this the norm? Is there a better dealer in the Houston area to deal with? :giveup:
That's a sore subject on this forum. A number of members have had less than stellar interactions with that dealer. I've heard lots of good stuff about Wild West over in Katy.

I have had good experiences with Wild West in Katy. I have had uh... well... not so good experiences at BMW North Houston and Gulf Coast Cycles (British USA) in Pasadena. I know there are some BMW riders in Texas that will only use Lone Star in Austin regardless of where they live.

Wild West has not been in business as long as they have by doing bad work. They're good folks.

I've been to Wild West for my Kawasaki Concours and the KZ1000P my last employer owned. I've been happy with thier service, although I admit I havne't had anything major done there.

I've used BMW North Houston exclusively and they've treated me well. The bike pickup service is huge for me. I always give them a clean bike to work on and have been very clear about my expectations (take your time, do it right, I'm not in a hurry, if you see something that looks marginal fix it and call me as you can). I think that customer service is a two way street and so far I haven't been proven wrong.

Having said that i am getting more familiar with how the BMW is set up so I can take care of more routine maintenance - I'm too used to Hondas and Yamahas and am not fluent in German yet ..!

Dave.

Dave, your experience is why I tell people to go see for themselves. For every person that has a horror story at a dealership, you can always find someone that loves the place :shrug:

Well, I expected the same kind of service you experienced and didnt get it. Actually, far from it. Today I was out looking at the bike before I headed to work and found the ring clamps for the gas line loose and pushed up by the gas tank. I didn't notice this when I picked it up, but it had to have been that way. I am not saying that they didnt fix the bike or that the work they did was deficient in any way, only that they kept my bike for over two months and charged me twice what I expected to pay. They did have to put a new drive shaft in it, but I dont see how the drive shaft could be bad with less than 10K miles on it. They did pick the bike up at my house and that saved me time and a headache. If they would have dropped it back off at the house that would have been even better. I guess I just expect too much. I will be learning how to work on this thing myself. I have been doing so on my Harleys for a while now and can fix just about anything that breaks on either of them. Guess the transmission is about the only thing I wont tear apart. Such is life, live and learn

I was happy to see a BMW dealership close to where I live (Huntsville) instead of taking my F650 to Austin for service and last year I took it in for a yearly service and they did more work than what it needed with only 4,500 miles on it and I had to drop @ $700 when I was expecting it to be @ $200 as it had been in Austin. Their reason was that it is what they consider an annual service that I had asked for. The big $ item was the valves that I believe without having to dig out my manual is 6 to 8 thousand miles & not 4.5. To me they seem like the Harley shop down the road, most of their customers are probably wealthy and don’t mind dropping $1000 here and there. In my case I ride almost every day to work and use my truck on the weekends for odd jobs to help pay for my toys and dropping $700 dollars when I wasn’t expecting it was a shock and I am contemplating on going back or not for the oil and break fluid change that is needed now. Also, unlike Austin they did not give me a general inspection of my bike (Brakes pads 70%, lights all working, etc.) Although, I will probably try one more time (convenience) and if I am still dissatisfied I will go back to Austin and on my next bike find on with a dealership a little closer even though I am liking the looks of the new F800 ST.

If I owned a dealership / service shop I would definitely be reading all of the local forums to take note of what people are saying. I can't imagine why any dealership that was looking for long term survival would not operate on the basis of complete transparency. Take Treysmagna's driveshaft for example - it would have been a simple thing to call and advise the customer in detail what the service tech found, why a replacement was recommended, and get an authorization to proceed. If they find a ruined driveshaft then they should invite you down to inspect it and see what the tech is talking about.

As to routine service work, the "annual" BMW service is so expensive that the service manager should be very clear about what the cost is going to be and get that acknowledgement up front - just like Toyota does when you go to them. You don't ever hear about Toyota taking your car in for an oil change and then being surprised by the cost of a radiator flush for example. Yes, it is noted in the manual, yes the BMW specific forums have all the details of costs etc but this is no excuse for any dealership to overlook the important step of providing a quote and getting authorization to proceed before undertaking work.

Note to all service managers in all shops - We're motorcyclists, we want to understand what our bikes need, we want to be treated as fellow enthusiasts and not simply profit centers. We're not all the same, some of us can't afford to replace every questionable item every time, others of us want 100% reliability and will want to change out that part. We'll spend a lot more money with you over the long run if you treat us accordingly. You won't make us happy every time, but if you keep trying we will forgive you. You won't make a lot of money with every visit, but if you can treat us fairly we'll feel better about spending the big bucks when it is needed to keep us safe on the roads. And we'll keep coming back so that in time you'll have a nice steady revenue stream and you can sleep better at nights.

Dave.

Update: had more problems with the bike. Called Wild West and talked to them and scheduled a time when I could take the bike in and wait. Well, they fixed it and for a fair price. I would recommend them any day. But, I got rid of the BMW and really dont see myself ever owning another after all of this. I have a DR to ride now along with my two Harleys and I can work on it. Sure would love one of those 1200GS ADVs, but I am just too gun shy now

treysmagna said:
For those who care I let BMW of North Houston work on my 91 R100GS. I really thought that I was going to be happy with them back in April. I had a transmission seal leak and needed it fixed while I was gone to West Virginia on a trip. They even came to my house and picked the bike up! I was told the cost would be about 700 dollars which I thought was a little high, but I needed it done and I was going to be gone. Did I mention that they picked the bike up April 25? Well, finally July 8 I get a call that it is ready! I can't tell you how many times I called only to be told that they were waiting on a special tool or had the wrong part. I picked the bike up July 11 and the charged me 1478 dollars. They said I had to have a new drive shaft too! The **** bike only has 8K miles on it. I would think that a dealer would be able to work on a bike even if it is 15 years old. I love the bike and hope I did right by buying it, but so far my dealings with BMW have been less than acceptable. Is this the norm? Is there a better dealer in the Houston area to deal with? :giveup:

I would like to add my twopence to this discussion.

I used to work at that dealership. I have no regets about my service there and I am grateful for the opportunity that they gave me.

The fact that they said they were waiting on a special tool to work on that particular bike is true. When BMW sends a new dealership their initial tool shipment, they usually don't include tools to work on the older bikes. Let's face facts here, most people don't ride 15 year old bikes. The shop I work at now even has a hard time finding factory repair literature not to mention some of the special tools it takes to repair the older airheads. Most of the time, if we need a special tool to finish a job we will overnight it. Police bikes are especially time sensitive. Police bikes are also our best customers as well.

Second, the fact that you needed a new driveshaft is also true. That vintage of GS was one of the early Paralever bikes. Since the ground clearance on the GS is higher than the street versions, the driveshaft is subjected to more of an extreme angle. If the bike has seen any kind of rough off-road duty, it exacerbates the problem. Unfortunately, a U-joint is not available seperately.

I will admit when I was at BMW North Houston, I wanted to bury my competition. But since some key people left, it made my job tougher and I found a better deal somewhere else. If Wild West gives ya good service at reasonable prices, by all means do business with them. I've heard lots of good things about them. I've also heard good things about British USA also. And bad things about all of them.:zen:

It really is of no consequence now. I sold the bike and now have a DR650. Thought about getting a BMW 650GS, but I am pretty much going to be avoiding BMW now. I will keep riding my Harley and use my DR for what it was intended for and what I bought the GS for. So far I really like the DR and have been riding it a lot. My only regret was spending all of the money on the Jesse saddle bags. Such is life.

pinecone said:
...Let's face facts here, most people don't ride 15 year old bikes....
(hijack alert)
Hey, I resemble that remark! And, I was sitting at the light Friday night and a guy pulls up next to me on a Goldwing, I ask, "What year?" He says "1983" and rockets away. Ok, maybe we're not "most people," but my opinion is that older bikes can be fine, just don't pick something that had a limited run in a specific configuration, unless you're a "collector." If you want to ride, find something they made a bunch of, or at least didn't change significantly for 10 years.

STill Fiddlin said:
(hijack alert)
Hey, I resemble that remark! And, I was sitting at the light Friday night and a guy pulls up next to me on a Goldwing, I ask, "What year?" He says "1983" and rockets away. Ok, maybe we're not "most people," but my opinion is that older bikes can be fine, just don't pick something that had a limited run in a specific configuration, unless you're a "collector." If you want to ride, find something they made a bunch of, or at least didn't change significantly for 10 years.

Whoa big fella! I have nothing against old bikes or the people that ride them. I was trying to illustrate a point about why somebody's repair was held up due to lack of a specific tool.

Heck, I'm looking to get a 36 year old bike pretty soon.:rider:

I still love my 79 Yamaha XS11F. It is a great bike that I am fixin' to repalce the transmission so I can get another 100k out of it.

i love my old bike, but it still can't beat the '05 1150 GSA

I had an '87 BMW K75s that I bought from Cycle Shack in Bellaire. I loved that bike. After a couple thousand miles, it started jumping out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration. I took it to a dealer that was over on HW 3 at the time. They kept it a month, and when I picked it up, it still did the same thing. They worked on it another time and it stopped occurring. Only problem was now it was REAL hard to shift. They said it would loosen up over time.

About that time children came along and I did not ride the bike that much, just not enough time. We then moved to the west side of town. I thought great, Wild West Honda is only 10 miles away. I took the bike to them and asked them if there was anything they could do to make it shift easier. By this time, my left thigh had grown to twice it's normal size from the work out it was receiving from shifting the bike. The decided I needed a new clutch.

I am thinking, it only has 12k miles on it, seems early, but what do I know. When I picked up the bike, $1500 later, it still shifted the same. Of course I think $200 of that was for the 12k service they did. Which would explain why they spilled brake fluid on the fairing on the ride side of the bike that proceeded to eat the paint off. I called them on this. They said bring the bike in. They found the front brake master cylinder had a leak. Wow, it had never leaked before. I think that was a couple hundred to fix.

A year and a half later, the bike had gotten so hard to shift, my left thigh had grown to the size of the the East German female speed skaters. Finally, I decided to take it back to Cycle Shack, that had moved out on the SW freeway. They took the bike apart and decided I needed a new transmission. I asked the mechanic to see what parts had made him decide that this was the case. He showed me a shift fork with a line about the size of a pencil drawn line where the anodizing had warn off. I call B$ on this.

I told them to just put the bike back together.

I rode it home, then two days later, on my way to work, it died on 59 right in front of Cycle Shack. I pushed the bike off of the freeway and over to their parking lot and left it there. I called them later and accused them of putting it back together wrong. All the manager would say was "Hey, we told you it needed a new transmission."

After much arguing, they agreed to put a new tranny in it for the cost of the part. $1800. I pick it up a month and a half later, it is making the same squealing noise it made, right before the transmission quit shifting.

They said it was an alternator bearing making that noise. So they replaced it for another $90.00.

When I picked it up again, it still made the noise, but not as loud and they claimed it was normal. So I wrote a letter to the BBB explaining the situation. All this did was to really make the manager mad and he made some disparaging remarks about my character.

The new Transmission had a 12 month warranty on it. It lasted 13 months. I sold the bike "as is" to a guy from Kansas for $1500.

When I bought my next BMW, I bought it in Austin. They have done all the service work up until recently. I have been very happy with them.

My last service was done by the Motoguzzy Dealer out in Katy in the Park Ten complex. They seemed to do a good job and not charge me any more than Lone Star, if not a little less.

Pinecone, I applaud you on your civil tounge when speaking of a
previous employer, not a common trait these days.

I understand the old bike issue and not having tools as we have the same issues witholder machinery that has been in service and replaced years ago
with newer style equipment in the Manufacturers line and no replacement
parts are readily available.

Did the dealership in question do everything right?? Hard to tell from a
forum post, I have no doubt that Treysmagna feels let down by the dealer.
And they may indeed be in total fault in the situation.

I know Brian and spent considerable time with him as he developed his
business and have no doubt his desire to build a dealership is sincere, but
also realize that the harsh reality of trying to make a dream come to life sometimes gets somewhat hazy as the daily struggle to make what I am sure is a considerable overhead come out in the positive cash flow side of the ledger.

Wow, I can't believe all of the discussion on this so long after the post. Well, the bike is gone and I have a bike I can do something with. The whole thing could have been avoided two ways. First, I was looking for a new bike when I bought the 91. I wanted a 1200GS ADV. Problem is that I work almost every day and didn't have time to go to every dealer and see if they had one so I started calling. No body had one and no one wanted to tell me if or when they would get one. I didn't get anything like come put 10% down and you will get the first one we get and we expect it by a certain date. It was like we dont have one, bye. I thought I lucked apon a good deal with the R100. I thought it was going to be something that obviously it wasnt. Since I sold it the Diode board went out and the new owner had to totally rebuild the trany. I guess he is an old school owner becaue he did it all himself. Second, when I took the bike to the dealer and they looked at it they said they could do it no problem. Nothing was said about taking a month or two. In fact when I told them my bike was my sole means of transportation they said they could do it in a day while I waited or give me a loaner bike. When I mentioned the fact that I had two other bikes to ride it all changed. I really wanted to take the bike on a trip to West Virginia, but since I knew I couldn't I told them they had two weeks before I could be back to get it. Two weeks turned to close to three months. $700 turned to $1400. If I had been told up front to expect something like this I would have just swallowed the pill, but I was lead to believe otherwise. I may have chose to find another dealer if I had known this just to get a second opinion. Bottom line is that if you dont know your machine even if you dont intend to work on it yourself, learn. Also, most people own bikes as a toy and for recreation. The dealers know this and I think there is a whole different attitude then you have in the automotive industry.

But, there are some really good dealers out there. I have an 89 CR250 and once I was at Rio Bravo burning some laps and all of the sudden the things just stops. I did everything I could to fix it and couldnt get it running so I load it up and take it home. I replaced the plug, but had already taken the tank and everything off so I just did the spark test and wasnt getting any. I got my meter out and went over the whole bike and everything was fine. I took it to Honda of Houston and explained. Two days later I get a call saying to bring the tank with me and get my self up there. The service guy asks me what I did and I told him and I said I could find nothing wrong, but it wouldnt get spark. We put the tank on and it started right up. I was amazed. I asked what did he do. He said nothing. I was reminded that you cant get the engine turning fast enough to get a spark if you crank it by hand. I was really embarrassed. He sent me home with no charge and some laughs. That kept me using the dealer for all of my Honda needs. That is service.

treysmagna said:
But, there are some really good dealers out there. I have an 89 CR250 and once I was at Rio Bravo burning some laps and all of the sudden the things just stops. I did everything I could to fix it and couldnt get it running so I load it up and take it home. I replaced the plug, but had already taken the tank and everything off so I just did the spark test and wasnt getting any. I got my meter out and went over the whole bike and everything was fine. I took it to Honda of Houston and explained. Two days later I get a call saying to bring the tank with me and get my self up there. The service guy asks me what I did and I told him and I said I could find nothing wrong, but it wouldnt get spark. We put the tank on and it started right up. I was amazed. I asked what did he do. He said nothing. I was reminded that you cant get the engine turning fast enough to get a spark if you crank it by hand. I was really embarrassed. He sent me home with no charge and some laughs. That kept me using the dealer for all of my Honda needs. That is service.

That is a sign of a good dealership. Not to be rude, but they just pointed out your OI (owner ignorance). They didn't charge you for it or embarrass you. I've fixed stuff for gratis a number of times. If it is a cheap, easy fix I'll do it. I look at it as a way to build a customer base. If I can get somebody down the road for cheap, they will tell their friends. It is the best way to get repeat customers.

I will not give away secrets that I use to make my job easier because being speedy and accurate is how I feed my family.

:rider:

I wouldn't expect anything less. We all have to put food on the table.

MPH cycles on Park Row, out near Katy works on all BMW's except some of the newest ones. Their experience goes back at least to the late 60's, early 70's. I have seen bikes from the 50's and there is a late r1150rtp in there now. They stay busy!

Boxerbomber, welcome to the site :wave:

I have had good and bad experiences with BMW dealers. I echo the fact that the more you know your machine the better educated you can be on the potential problems. I am on my 3rd oilhead, by now I know how to do the basics on these babies and to identify potential problems when they arise. I know that there are better machines/dealerships out there but I rather stick with something I know than to venture into the unknown:zen:
My 2 cents!

Back