• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Under Seat Storage On BANDIT 1250

i would say next to none. i have added to the stock tool kit a few items, a wonder pliers along with some bungee cords under the latch, and some waterless hand cleaner in the orange towel, under the left rear cowl.
anything in front of the latch is all taken. the ig/Fi box must be kept clear as it gets hot.

img0314qt5.jpg

i have contemplated utilizing the area under the left and right fairing, with the idea of making some sort of tray with a rubber strap, to hold gloves and small items, but a small bag on the rear seat or tank,would do the job as well.
lately i have been putting my extra gloves inside my jacket in my chest area.
i have other jackets that have the pooch pouch on the lower back, but the leather jacket santa got me only has vents, with little storage.

img0315tm6.jpg

There is a thread by a guy on maximum-suzuki who cut out the plastic box/riser on the rear fender that the toll bag sits on to gain a little more room, and I am also thinking about doing this at some point, but I am going to cover the hole with a thin piece of aluminum sheet instead of what he did.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,64168.0.html

Besides upgrading some of the crappy tools in the stock tool kit with better ones, I am also able to fit a Cruz Tools folding tool plus a buck knife and a Leatherman in the little plastic tray.
edbd38d0330279dd4a9b68f8f574d4410_large.jpg

i can only assume it might get stuffed overfull, and interfere with the fork legs turning.
after removing the cannister, http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23448&page=2 there is similar room on the right side also.

img0316fj8.jpg

it would be nice in there to have a couple little trays, for extra gloves, and all that stuff you tend to put in a tank bag. i cant see going back to the tank bag thing anymore, as they all tend to scratch the tank, and mines scratched up enough.

img0319jq8.jpg

the whole tank bra seems to be a trend, and the bags and box people will probably post here with a picture of 3 ufo bolted on the back, quoting how many liters they can be filled with, and for touring, they would be proper.

i like the idea of a small rack, that can mount a small bag, and i think if el bandito can beat the swmotech pricey one it might be the answer for me.

i didnt buy mine for touring, and cant see cluttering it with samsonite luggage.
no offense to those that have all that, your you, i'm me. i know you like the look of your bike, and its capacity justifies it being there.
i have a hard enough time getting along with myself, as you all know.

off subject, but had a few friends go out to buttonwillow over the weekend, and i passed, but maybe next time i can get some track tires, and be prepared, and if i go, i'll report how it goes on the board. good or bad.

i think small places about the bike for items of interest work well. the 2 pockets under the fairing look like they could be used for gloves or lightweight jacket storage and still allow the forks to not interfere.
see pics in previous post.

Thats why there was that sticker on the plastic piece that everyone removed. Putting things under there may interfere with the forks. For every responsible person that wouldn't overfill the spot there's 12 morons that would. Suzuki doesn't want the liability.

Thats why there was that sticker on the plastic piece that everyone removed. Putting things under there may interfere with the forks. For every responsible person that wouldn't overfill the spot there's 12 morons that would. Suzuki doesn't want the liability.

Suzuki have fitted a pocket in the fairing of the 2009 model faired Bandits so that proves there's space in there. As long as any pocket doesn't protrude inwards beyond the fairing liner there's no danger of it interfering with the steering.

Suzuki have fitted a pocket in the fairing of the 2009 model faired Bandits so that proves there's space in there. As long as any pocket doesn't protrude inwards beyond the fairing liner there's no danger of it interfering with the steering.

The RRP has gone up $300 in Australia too.

I've looked at how to improve the storage capacity of the tail section on the Bandit, and it looks like if I cut off the square riser section on the inner fender that the stock tool bag sits on top of and cover up the hole with an aluminum plate, this will make a lot more room for storage.

Is this pocket an add on piece that can bolted on to earlier bikes?

Is this pocket an add on piece that can bolted on to earlier bikes?

I doubt it because from what I've seen the fairing on the '09 models is a different shape from the earlier bikes. I believe also that it's only the 650 that's getting the new fairing, not the 1250, but don't quote me on that.

El Bandito said:
I've looked at how to improve the storage capacity of the tail section on the Bandit, and it looks like if I cut off the square riser section on the inner fender that the stock tool bag sits on top of and cover up the hole with an aluminum plate, this will make a lot more room for storage.

I've just cut that box off - I'd originally planned to weld plastic in (from a scrap undertray) to fill the gap but came to the conclusion that an ally plate would be easier. That's a job for this weekend.

I'm not sure that it makes a lot more room, and getting to the space is restricted by the seat lock mounting plate, but it does make some difference.

I've been thinking of cutting out the battery tray and letting battery drop down on to the vacant tray used for mounting the ABS pump, mine is a non-ABS model. Then with a plastic welder, fab up a box that would sit above the now lowered battery. I'm fairly certain that would free up enough space to be able to store 3 500ml water bottles. Not that you would want to keep them there but it gives you an idea of the amount of free space.

I've been thinking of cutting out the battery tray and letting battery drop down on to the vacant tray used for mounting the ABS pump, mine is a non-ABS model. Then with a plastic welder, fab up a box that would sit above the now lowered battery. I'm fairly certain that would free up enough space to be able to store 3 500ml water bottles. Not that you would want to keep them there but it gives you an idea of the amount of free space.

I like this idea. Gets the weight lower too. I did the tail section mod using black 1/8" thk. ABS plastic. Riveted in place and sealed the edges with black silicone. Now I have room for a Slime air pump along with the tool kit. Unfortunately I've lost the retaining strap hooks so I wrap the tool kit in a towel to keep it from bouncing around.

Wait a minute, there's storage under the seat? :P

I have my owner's manual in there; I've managed to put my cell phone in there as well, but anything else is a pipe dream. The Bandit's pretty craptastic for storage space, sadly - I just wear a backpack, it's easier. That being said, I know there's a nice storage rack on the Holeshot Performance website that looks pretty slick; I've considered getting it.

That's why I got the side bags and rear trunk. No storage issues now.:doh:
Yeah, they're great looking bags, but I personally don't like how the bike looks with the bags off and the hardware showing.......and here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia we can lane split legally (wondering how long till the safety Nazis of Sacramento take that right away from us?) and I like to keep the bike as "narrow" as possible for that reason.

Yeah, they're great looking bags, but I personally don't like how the bike looks with the bags off and the hardware showing.......

That's why SW Motech quick-release side case racks exist. All the practicality of hard luggage but (almost) no permanent hardware bolted to the bike.

Bike doesn't look bad with a matching top box in place, although it DOES look a bit like an "old man's bike".... But you can split/share/filter through lanes and carry a bunch-o-stuff. I seem to be the only person on TWT Bandit who thinks the top box (adversely) effects the handling of the bike.... but it hasn't slowed me down.

I carry a set of rather smallish Chase Harper semi-soft bags, and have recently replaced my top box with a small semi-soft bag on the luggage rack. I can snap the top box in place quickly & easily when I want/need it.

My plan is to put some color-matched hard bags in place, and keep 'em on the bike. I must also be a bit more daring than others with regard to lane splitting. My 'system cases' on the Beemer never stopped me from filtering, the HUGE Krausers on the Fizzy only slowed me down, and I doubt the Suzuki bags will deter me from sharing lanes with the cagers. I simply judge how much room I have betwixt cars by my mirrors. On past bikes, if my mirrors cleared then I had enough room for my bags to clear.

What is the width from the outer edge of a hard bag to the other???
I measure 33" at the widest points of my mirrors and hand guards on my widened handlebars.....

Never heard of those I'll do a search for that info..........

This is the manufacturer's website:

http://www.mo-tech.de/quick_lock_seitentraeger/

I know they're available in the US because others on here have them fitted. Here you go:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/77/

do you use them? Do you like them?

Yes, I've used them (on and off - the whole point ;-) ) for nearly a year. I love them. I, like you, hate having to carry around ugly metalwork when I'm not using cases so these are the perfect solution. I've loaded them with FAR more weight that the manufacturer specified and they've been brilliant. If you get them, buy the optional locks - they lock one of the 3 mountings to the bike so no-one can 'quick release' them without your permission :trust:

Back