• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

08 FmF National Hare & Hound vid

What is the defination of a hare and hound?

On that note, enuduro: you race to a set time. Legs of the race have speeds posted and the person who makes it closest to the listed time wins, right?

What is a Qualifier, and then a Grand Prix?

Motor cross (MX) is a closed course track outdoors
Super Cross, SX, is a closed course track indoors

From wikipedia...
In the United States, a Hare & Hound is a type of off-road racing event where the entrants compete on dirt bikes over a marked course of natural rugged terrain. Hare and Hounds events are made up of two separate race courses with each course averaging 40 miles in length. The break between each course (or loop) is used for refueling and bike maintenance. The first racer to cross the finish line after the second "loop" is considered the winner of the event. Hare and Hounds are typically held in the desertic regions of California, Nevada, and Idaho.

A Hare & Hound is different from a Hare Scamble because it does not repeat the same loop twice. Pre-running the course is not allowed, and many sections are brand new, so that the first rider only has a series of arrowed stakes to lead the way, making that person the "hare" and everyone else is the "hound" following the newly-created path. It is a start-to-finish race, so the midpoint pitstop is made as quickly as possible in order to minimize downtime.

Dangit, wikipedia is the king. I am actually on it right now reading up on Phase locked loop.

Thanks!

Enduro's will have checkpoints along the way. Problem is you don;t know where they are...sort of. You know they can only fall on even 1/10's of a mile and they can't be any closer together than 3 miles. So you have to ride AND do math. The fun thing about the enduro is that you may be on a gravel road and the suggested speed is 5 mph. Then you go into tight singletrack and the suggested speed is 15 mph. IF you can stay on time you get resets where you can take a break. I had as much as 10 minutes on one reset when i raced mine.

Back