• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Magellan Crossover GPS

Got one .. the Magellan 2200t. sniped it off ebay for 60 bucks total shipping included. No blue tooth but using an adapter like this one: http://www.simoncells.com/1841-cellular-item.html paired with the Cardo Scala Q2. The problem is that the Q2 will go on standby if the Magellan goes silent long enough. When a turn comes the Q2 misses the initial voice direction.

It works better with the direct wired connection that comes with the Q2 headset.

In the daytime, the Magellan's viewscreen is not viewable in direct sunlight but with a wired connection I don't miss a turn. For rainy weather, It has silicone port plugs.

I hardly ever use it so it's stowed under the seat until I get lost on one of my adventures.

The Battery life is decent but I'd say 4 hours will drain the battery to 1/4ths full however it's a hacked gps running IGO 8 off the 2gb SD card and I use it to watch movies on long waits off road. 2 GB is the max size SD card it can use but there are supposedly some hacks that with let it read 4gb SDHC Cards.

It's power consumption is minuscule 5volts 2 amps. On trips, I use it with an auto adapter plugged into an accessory port directly connected to the headlamp so that I don't have to worry about charging it when I get home.

Anything plugged into the usb port switches the viewscreen from map navigation into some warning screen about file transfer mode. So don't charge it using those car adapters with the USB plug if you intend to navigate while charging. Use the oem power adapter instead.

The original navigation software is on it but it doesn't have lane guidance like the IGO 8. In original factory condition, the gps is functional, simple, cheap and hackable.

I would not buy it if it's over 100 dollars as there are cheaper systems out there that are hackable to add more features or other nav software. For example, Omnitech's GPS system from staples was around 120 but ran into some issues earlier with its software. So you will see alot of those refurbished and unlocked to run like a PDA and use other nav software like garmin, tomtom, route 66, as well as IGO.

overall the total cost was 60 for the Magellan, 10 for the power adapter, 15 for the usb audio adapter, 15 for the motorcycle mount.

It was a decent deal but I'd buy an omnitech instead just for the reverse engineering potential and it's less bulky.

The one great thing about the magellan, I must say, is that it's built like a tank. I've dropped the GPS several times on hard concrete and it still works.

Back