PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Honda VTX 1800 C

LittleBigDaddy
02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
...and on the 7th day, God created......

I've already done multiple reviews of my 'new' VTX 1800, but heck...every time I get on it, I wanna do another one. As I said in my intro, I just moved up from a VLX (600 cc's) to the VTX. What a jump, believe me.

Now keep in mind, I've beeen a VLX rider for almost 3 years now. It's really the only bike I know well, save for brief experiences on a V-Star Silverado, a Vulcan 1500 and a Honda Magna.

.....oooh.....I still get dreamy eyed when I think about that Magna.....

But I digress. Anyway, the VTX was a "present" from a freind that knew I was interested in an upgrade. And what an upgade it was. Since the VLX was my only real bike, I was very much aware of its capabilities and limitations. In retrospect, it was a near-perfect bike to learn on. Just big enough to keep up with the rest of the boys (or girls, depending upon who I was riding with), good styling, and 4 tall gears.

...speaking of which, a 4-speed tranny doesn't sound like much, but it's actually very versatile once you learn how to use it.

Now the VLX was a great back-roads bike. A scream thru the twisties cause I could muscle it thru just about anything. It allowed for mistakes because of its weight (little more than 400 lbs dry weight, I think). I have not, by the way gotten rid of my first X. I'm instead keeping it in stasis until I can convince my fiancee to ride with me.

......but then I finally tested a VTX.

My first experience with a C-model is actually heralded on YouTube. If you look up "Wayne + VTX" you'll find a brief clip of this short black dude coming off of his virgin ride on one of these beasts. The video says it all.....and I'm the short black dude in question.

When I first tried this bike I had already made up my mind that I wanted to trade up to a power cruiser. I was torn between the VTX, the V-Star Warrior and the V-Star V-Max.

Granted, I never gave the Warrior or the V-Max a fair shot cause I never rode them......maybe one day, y'know.

But this review ain't about them.

So let's talke VTX 1800.

Wow.

Compared to the VTX, popping the clutch in 2nd on the VLX is like going from a Sunday stroll to a brisk walk. Pop the clutch in 2nd gear on the VTX and hold on. Your butt presses into the seat and as you move up in "I'm gonna get in trouble" digits on the speedometer, your smile increases appropriately. This grin factor increases as you go through the gears, and is only minorly eclipsed by the rev-limiter, which lets you know very harshly that it's time to go move to the next one.

You get used to it though.

After 4 weeks of ownership, I find that I will normally utilize 2nd through 4th gear most.....primarily to keep myself from speeding excessively. 5th gear is a "let's speed" gear. Period.

Ergonomically, the VTX is amazingly similar to the VLX, and as a smaller rider (5'4" and 150 lbs on a good day), I don't notice the weight difference (somewhere around the neighborhood of 900 lbs). It's extremely well balanced. As others have said though, you definitely notice it in slow manuvers.

Ever see a Porsche driver that keeps it under the speed limit? I'm finding that all that power means that you can flex your muscles in brief "need to do" spurts instead of keeping yourself in cop radar. I'm still maw-mawing it because I'm still getting used to it. The gas mileage is (not surprisingly) similar to the VLX because those bursts of speed will cost you dearly. As far as things that would have been nice additions, I'd include a tach. I'm going to have to figure out where to put the highway pegs that came with it too. You're sort of limited on options at my height; and it looks like I'll either have to remove them or get creative.

Very fast. Fast enough to get you in trouble. Fast enough to surprise a lot of sport bikes. Not something you see every day. Big enough to keep up with just about anything on the road. Fun, eye catching and comfy too.

I don't see myself needing another upgrade anytime soon.....

jhansen
02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=LittleBigDaddy;
I don't see myself needing another upgrade anytime soon.....[/QUOTE]

:giveup: :giveup:
Famous Last Words

glad you like the VTX. Does it really wergh 900lbs or just feels like it? :eek2:

mikeofcontex
02-24-2008, 05:26 PM
It's probably more like 750 ready to ride. It's length causes slow effort more than the weight in my opinion. It is quite fast enough.

LittleBigDaddy
02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Famous Last Words

glad you like the VTX. Does it really wergh 900lbs or just feels like it? :eek2:

Specifically, I think it's between 750 and 850. You never feel it until you try to do something slow.

LittleBigDaddy
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
It's probably more like 750 ready to ride. It's length causes slow effort more than the weight in my opinion. It is quite fast enough.

I heard on another forum that Honda once announced plans to make all of their bikes ergonomically similar. Is that true? The VTX sits amazingly similar to the VLX.

mikeofcontex
02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't know other than experience. I sat on a late 90's 1100 cruiser and it is very similar to the VTX. I sat on another, though, somewhat smaller and it was much shorter to the pegs.

LittleBigDaddy
02-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't know other than experience. I sat on a late 90's 1100 cruiser and it is very similar to the VTX. I sat on another, though, somewhat smaller and it was much shorter to the pegs.

To each his or her own, I guess. The first time I tested a VTX I immediately got off of it and sat on a V-Star 1100 and it didn't agree with me at all...I just found the VTX better balanced for me.

anaconda
02-26-2008, 04:34 PM

My first experience with a C-model is actually heralded on YouTube. If you look up "Wayne + VTX" you'll find a brief clip of this short black dude coming off of his virgin ride on one of these beasts. The video says it all.....and I'm the short black dude in question.

Hah, I forgot I had a photo on my cell of that historic moment... :rofl:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/anaconda_aggie/misc2/IMG00019.jpg

LittleBigDaddy
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
...talk about love at first sight.....

Morgan Buchanan
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the Wonderful World of the VTX. Be sure to check out the Texas X riders... http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php Terrific bunch of folks. Mine below. The C is the fastest. ;) What in the world do you need a tach for? With the rev limiter, you won't blow yourself up, and with that much torque, you don't need to be up by the red-line anyway, your power is lower than that.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/vtx/feb08/s100_1658.jpg

LittleBigDaddy
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the Wonderful World of the VTX. Be sure to check out the Texas X riders... http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php Terrific bunch of folks. Mine below. The C is the fastest. ;) What in the world do you need a tach for? With the rev limiter, you won't blow yourself up, and with that much torque, you don't need to be up by the red-line anyway, your power is lower than that.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/vtx/feb08/s100_1658.jpg

The more expreience I get with her, the more I realize just how right you are. I think the tach would be neat to give me a frame of reference as far as how much power and where (just as a mental note). :rider:

Already joined the X Riders, by the way. Great buncha folks, like you said. I'll be on her again this weekend. Riding her out to the rodeo cookoff.

PS - what does the intake change as far as the dynamics of acceleration and how she rides? And I covet your grips. I need to put some Kiruakyns on mine.

Morgan Buchanan
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
The VTX doesn't have a very open intake. So you get a bit better breathing, and the power difference is noticeable right at first, but you get used to it so fast that it's kind of negligible. There are a number of really good intakes out there, particularly the Thunder Tornado and the Thunder Hurricane. Don't bother with the Kuryakyn Hypercharger, IMO. The Kury iso grips are FAR superior to the OEM grips, yes. If you want to know about your power band, just go someplace safe, get into 2nd, and run it up to the rev limiter. You'll find that the power drops off below that and you'll have wanted to shift to third before you got there. Like a beautiful woman, she rides easier by feel than by some rating on a dial anyway. :)

or heck, probably like an ugly women too.... fer'instance. ;)

That video is a riot, man. What's your handle on Texas X? I'm the same there, here, VTXOA.... I'm not very smart, see. LOL

LittleBigDaddy
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I did the second gear thing - by accident - the first time I ever ever got on one.....

...and it almost threw me off.....

Morgan Buchanan
02-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Thus the look on your face when you got back for that video? :)

LittleBigDaddy
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
It's how I almost lost the helmet!!:eek2:

etcthorne
03-08-2008, 04:28 AM
I owned my 2003 VTX 1800C for three years. Loved the power. The bike does like to go straight and fast though.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9365/motorcycle006ju4.jpg

THR-Thumper
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Loved the video.

I found a VTX 1800 north of Austin that I'm going to go pick up tomorrow, if everything is as advertised. This will be the first time I've been back on a bike since my wreck (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25538). Wish me luck.

LittleBigDaddy
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Loved the video.

I found a VTX 1800 north of Austin that I'm going to go pick up tomorrow, if everything is as advertised. This will be the first time I've been back on a bike since my wreck (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25538). Wish me luck.

Good luck, and do enjoy!!

THR-Thumper
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I picked it up Saturday evening and rode it back. I put more miles on it in one day than the previous owner averaged yearly.

Love it so far. I'll do a write up with pics later in the week.