PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki's new gel seat for the 1250S

MetrickMetal
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Has any bought the new gel seat for the 1250S Bandit, and if so how do you like it.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/cache/Accessory/detail/d47fe0ba-6313-44cb-9813-78269e0c89cf.jpg

Brass
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
It's a good looking seat. A bit pricy when you compare it to the Spencer seat mod.

Here's the link to Suzuki's listing for it.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accessories/detail.aspx?modelId=5b3e2131-e55f-4b66-a293-61b1e882b97d&accessoryCategoryId=&accessoryId=d47fe0ba-6313-44cb-9813-78269e0c89cf

MetrickMetal
02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
It's a good looking seat. A bit pricy when you compare it to the Spencer seat mod.

Here's the link to Suzuki's listing for it.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accessories/detail.aspx?modelId=5b3e2131-e55f-4b66-a293-61b1e882b97d&accessoryCategoryId=&accessoryId=d47fe0ba-6313-44cb-9813-78269e0c89cf

Thats where I got the picture, and the seat is $264 plus shipping from www.everythingsuzuki.com. ;-)

MetrickMetal
04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, has anyone here on the board tried out the gel seat from Suzuki yet?

I called Sargent seats again yesterday, as I am pre-regestered for the new seat they are coming out with for the 1250S, but they say it won't be available until sometime in June, so I am trying to hold out buying a new seat until I see what theirs is going to look like and how much it will cost. :rider:

whitesands
04-05-2008, 01:40 AM
That gel seat looks pretty nice....I've heard there are issues with the corbin.

gunzip
04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
The suzuki gel seat looks to be an improvement to me ; I'm giving it some serious thought. It looks to have done away with the forward slope to the passenger and rider portions that are giving me problems.
I raised the front of the rider section on mine and it is a big improvement but looks a little off. My wife complains that with every little bump we hit she has to reposition herself rearward .
The price on the alternate seat isn't bad either compared to aftermarket items , plus now i could could butcher up the stock seat and make a REALLY comfortable touring saddle that would look too hideous for daily use !!

gil moreno
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi there Bandit owners. I am looking for an improved seat for my 1250SA. I have not seen nor sat on the new Suzuki gel touring seat yet. Can someone tell me what the Spencer mod is? Thanks.

GregH
04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Can someone tell me what the Spencer mod is?
Spencer (Frank Turnier) rebuilds the stock seat using denser foam and gel packs. It made a significant difference to my comfort. :clap:
Click here (www.greatdaytoride.com) to go to his website.

whitesands
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
The Sargent seats for the other models on their site look really nice...I'm wondering if there will be some sort of back rest for the passenger...

txbanditrydr
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
IMHO... the gel seat for the previous generation was a flop...... for many reasons cited here. The forward slope plus slick material made for a "crushing" experience and I sold mine as fast as I could. YMMV.....

Brass
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
We've all heard about the Spencer seat mod and how great his work is. The early Corbins seem to have some issues but they are working that out, and Sargent is still in R&D.

The Spencer mod is out for me because of the cost of shipping. To get it there and back to Canada would cost more than the actual work performed. Add to that the amount of time that customs would hold onto it while they sort out how deep into my wallet they want to reach.

So the question remains, has anyone tried the Suzuki gel seat yet? Are there any reports on it?
I've been putting off buying one until later in May because of a move into a new home but would appreciate a report from anyone that may have already stepped up to the counter and opened up their wallet.

banditbobo
04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
re: 1250 Gel seat.
Check out eBay: $259 + shipping (exact amt escapes me at the moment).
seller: puentehillsmotorsports; GREAT seller.

Verdict? best $259 I've spent on the bike (2007) so far. HUGE improvement over stock. No more duck waddling after an hour ride.

Well worth the dough in my book.

Roy
04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I have one on order should have it in a week.

After a 1700 mile trip this past week I had to do something, stock seat is crap!!

Scoot
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I just recieved my gel seat this week. It was a simple swap over.
When I had removed the stocker I compared them side by side
and the new seat has about a half inch greater height, probably
due to the gel layer.
I'm 6'2" and I have very little natural padding of my own so the
narrow shape of the stock seat seemed to cut into my thighs after
only 30min's, also like everyone else I discovered the front of the seat
has to be raised to prevent the dreaded forward slope. My wife
has reported that the stock pillion was sheer torture after 15 - 20 min's.
So how's the new one?
Much better. The front portion has a bit firmer feel to it but, since it's
a little wider and flatter it provides a much better feel. you might want
to try the front in the down position at first because it is shaped with
less slope and the surface has a nice texture that prevents you from
sliding forward. I did raise the front back to the up position because
of the loss of leg room to my 54 year old knee's. The passenger pillion
is not textured but the forward slope has been removed and the edges
are gently rounded, plus there's about an extra inch of useable space
fore and aft. The passenger verdict - much better no sliding forward
and softer too. Same old problem of the footpegs being to high though.
Will follow up soon.

Brass
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Bandibobo and Scoot,

Thank you both for your reports. Let us know how the seat feels after a few longer rides. I'm sure there are lots of people here that are interested.

Scoot,

I installed a set of Kuryakyn offset peg mounts over the weekend followed by a 3 1/2 hour ride with no complaints from the back seat about sore legs/knees (plenty of complaints about the stock seat though). I'll follow up with some pics when I can, I'm in the middle of moving at the moment.

MetrickMetal
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I just called Sargent again to check on when the Bandit seat will be ready and they said hopefully by the end of the month. :rider:

Roy
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I just called Sargent again to check on when the Bandit seat will be ready and they said hopefully by the end of the month. :rider:

They have been saying that for what a year now:zen:

Good luck with it I should have my Suzuki seat either today or tomorrow but I won't actually have a chance to ride until next week. I have a trackday on the 1000 this saturday leaving out of town friday for it.

MetrickMetal
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
They have been saying that for what a year now:zen:

Good luck with it I should have my Suzuki seat either today or tomorrow but I won't actually have a chance to ride until next week. I have a trackday on the 1000 this saturday leaving out of town friday for it.

I hear ya, and I am about forget about the Sargent seat and go for the one from Suzuki. Please let me know how you like it as I really need to get a more comfortable seat on my bike before my next trip up to Carson City at the end of the month to visit my girlfriend. :rider:

gil moreno
05-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Shipped my stock seat to Spencer last week. He got it on Wednesday of this week and I hope to get in back in about 7 working days. I'll report back on the outcome of his mods.

bones
05-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Waiting on a sargent or I will mod mine, but would rather not. I have sat on a few sargents and really liked how they felt. No real world seat time though.

That gel is too spendy IMO.

Corbin is out, never sat on one I didn't hate (including dished and flat on my KLR for 20K miles) No idea what the draw to corbin is.

whitesands
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
The sargent seats look reall nice on the other bikes they make them for...That's the one I'm waiting on...I'm wondering if it will have something that somewhat secures the passenger from sliding forward.

I've heard a report on the corbin by another 1250 owner that they had issues with the seat sliding them into the tank..But the passenger backrest looks pretty neat..Something my wife would like.

Roy
05-02-2008, 08:35 AM
I got the gel seat on yesterday. I have not had time to rode yet packing for a trackday right now. 1st impression is, firm and wide. Not like other gel seats I have had in the past where they were initially cushy then hard. This may be a good seat it certainly looks nice. Cover is good quality with nice stitching almost looks like leather on the passenger part. Wife took a seat back there and instantly told me it was better than the OEM seat she spent 1700 miles on last week.:mrgreen: No sharp edges on front or back like stock. I have it in the high position and only noticed I was up maybe 1/2" at bset but that could be that it is wider causing my feet not to touch as much. I'm happy with it as of right now. It cost me $282.47 OTD including 7% state tax. not a bad deal considering I have a friend with a Concours 14 with a $600 corbin on it and he hates it. He told me its Ebay bound soon.:lol2:

The install went good you must use the adjustment pan from the stocker but thats easy enough. I plan on at least a 100 mile ride sunday so I will report back my findings. I am commuting on the Bandit also now 43 miles a day so I will give some feedback on that later next week. BTW this is a great commuter bike I am getting 45 mpg+ on it.:rider:

Brass
05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I plan on at least a 100 mile ride sunday so I will report back my findings. I am commuting on the Bandit also now 43 miles a day so I will give some feedback on that later next week. BTW this is a great commuter bike I am getting 45 mpg+ on it.:rider:

Roy,

Any updates to report? Another painful weekend ride has me that much more convinced that the seat must go.
The only stock seat I've ever had that was worse was on an '88 Honda Hawk GT, great bike but the seat would only allow me to ride for a max. of 15 min. The best stocker was from an '82 Yamaha 550 Vision. That could be ridden 1000 miles straight or until the stator burned out.

MetrickMetal
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm throwing the towel on waiting to get a seat from Sargent as I just called them and talked to another rep and he said it now looks like July will be the earliest that their seat will be available. :doh:

I'm going to order the Suzuki gel seat from everythingsuzuki.com tomorrow as I have to many long trips scheduled on my bike to wait that long to get a more comfortable seat. :rider:

Brass
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Are they priced better than Oneida?

MetrickMetal
05-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Are they priced better than Oneida?

They sell it for $263 plus shipping, so let me know if you know of a cheaper price.

Brass
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Oneida has it for 260.99 plus shipping. Not enough to matter unless the shipping drives the final cost up. From what I've just seen comparing the two, Oneida seems to be a bit cheaper on other stuff (fairings) again, not really enough to matter.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-gsf1250-bandit-2007-08.html

MetrickMetal
05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Oneida has it for 260.99 plus shipping. Not enough to matter unless the shipping drives the final cost up. From what I've just seen comparing the two, Oneida seems to be a bit cheaper on other stuff (fairings) again, not really enough to matter.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-gsf1250-bandit-2007-08.html

From oneida its $260.99 plus $37.45 shipping for a total of $298.44

From everythingsuzuki its $263.96 plus $23 shipping for a total of 286.96

Brass
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Oneida, NY.

They have a built in shipping calculator, just click add to cart and it'll figure it all out for you without having to enter a credit card.

MetrickMetal
05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I just ordered the gel seat from everythingsuzuki.com for $286.96 shipped. :rider:

I told the rep at Sargent today that a lot of people including myself were getting tired of the continually pushed out delivery date for their seat and that people are buying the Suzuki gel seat instead.

Roy
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Okay I have about 200 miles on the seat. I like it alot better. It is flatter and wider with not edges under your thighs. I have not slid forward on it. I have it in the high position and I think it gives me less leg bend maybe not by much by I fell less cramped. It is a firm seat and I was suprised by that. It may take breaking in like any other good quality seat. It has not got hot sitting in the sun so that is a plus. My wife sat on the rear portion and said instantly it was alot better and a bit higher so her legs are not as crammed like before. It looks good on the bike fit was good. It is alot heavier than the stock seat. I have not even thought about my butt :lol2: out on a ride so it must be working better. I'm sure I will eventually find a flaw but for under $300 clams I am happy. My buddy with the C14 corbin seat ain't so happy with his high dollar corbin. It is headed to ebay so he told me today. I think the Suzuki gel touring seat is a winner at this point at least for me it is.;-)

Brass
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I need to get the seat issue resolved. There isn't much natural padding on my back side and previous back and hip injuries, from an incident involving a 5 ton flat deck truck and me on a bike, meant that seat comfort was a concern long before the bandit was picked up from the dealer.
$300 isn’t much to lay down but if the seat doesn’t work and another $400 has to go down on a Sargent or other seat the wife will have me sleeping with the bike in the garage. That said, I want to thank everyone that has put up with my pestering about the seat. With my recent move there is only enough cash in the bike fund for one seat making everyone’s input that much more valuable to me.

MetrickMetal
05-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I got the tracking number for my new gel seat and it will be arriving next Thursday. :rider:

Lost Yankee
05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Has anyone noticed that Suzuki seems to have done really well their accessory line? The seat, the tall windscreen, the bags, etc. are all top choices, competitive or better (designs) than 3rd-party aftermarket.

suzukijo
05-10-2008, 12:12 PM
i believe the upright seating of the standard bike, is attractive in other european countries, and the bandit has a strong following in the UK. their sensible needs dictate sensible accessories, quite the contrary to the supposed hyped up american market which only wants cruisers or rockets.

i havnt seen in person any of the suzuki factory accessories, but i assmume they are made by other aftermarket manufacturers, (so many have said the bags and box are same as aftermarket), so its easy for suzuki to buy up a thousand of each and market it themselves, without any development or manufacturing expertise needed on their part.

with each country having its own laws, it becomes a difficult situation for manufacturers to be responsible for their product.
its so easy for an individual to modify a bike, and ask why the manufacturer didnt make it that way, when the real reason is more political and market driven than he thinks.

its interesting to note, that in '06, suzuki sold the bandit in the UK, that had the early engine, with the new frame wheels.

maybe in a couple of years, we might get one with a busa motor?
but this is a seat thread.

i still have my stock seat, and at 14k mile, its cushy.
at first it was hard as a rock and reading some of my early posts, the seat was reason for complaints. but it has softened with time, and i see no reason to spend money needlessly on something to replace it.
i dont ride often more than 200 mi, so this may be the reason it still is comfortable, and higher mi trip people, (i'm not saying they are high or trippy) might be justified in buying aftermarket.

banditbobo
05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I've now got almost 500 miles on the gel seat (it snowed again today! -makes it hard to put miles on Sanzoku) and wouldn't go back to stock even if somebody offered me a cheap date with Britney Spears.
Since it's two for one posting day; I will also recommend the Powerlet electric coat liner w/ their power controller. it worked GREAT in last week's snow storm getting home.

ttfn.

etcthorne
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Could one of youz guyz with the new gel seat post some pictures?

This gel seat is a complete replacement, right? You take off the stock seat and plop the gel seat on and ride, yes?

Roy
05-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Could one of youz guyz with the new gel seat post some pictures?

This gel seat is a complete replacement, right? You take off the stock seat and plop the gel seat on and ride, yes?

You re-use the adjustment pan from the stock seat thats it everything else goes together like stock. It does weigh more than stock. Here is mine.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Gelseat002.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Gelseat003.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Gelseat004.jpg

BTW mine is in the high position.:rider:

etcthorne
05-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Geez Roy! It was at least 10 minutes from the time I posted the question. Could you be just a bit more responsive? :rofl:

THANKYOUVERYMUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MetrickMetal
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
From how the seat looks in the first two views, the shape of it sure look like it going to be a lot more comfortable than the stocker. I can't wait until I get mine next thursday. :rider:

marylynn
05-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I bought a seat from Rich's in Seattle. He put a better grade of foam plus gel. I am a girl so lowering scooping affect does not bother me. They took the stock apart actually lowered the seat a little for me (I am 5'.5-1/2" tall). I added leather with cool looking stitching. Rich had to add a bit more cushion after 1200 miles-at no charge. Well, now have 7000 miles on the bike now seems to work for me.
Also added risers, engine guards, through Twisted Throttle. Adding windshield, Givi trunk wth a extra stop light should arrive this Tuesday, can't wait!
Marylynn
Hey anybody look into brighter turn signals? If so where, how much?

CBXBob
05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I installed the Magic Blinker kits and stage 2 resistors. This allows my front turn signals to function as running lights at full brightness and also blink as turn signals.

PhilS
05-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I installed the Magic Blinker kits and stage 2 resistors. This allows my front turn signals to function as running lights at full brightness and also blink as turn signals.

Bob:

Can you tell me (us) a part number, cost, details on installing, where you got them, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks - Phil

Brass
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Roy,

Any follow up info on the Suzuki seat now that you've had it for a little while?

Roy
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Roy,

Any follow up info on the Suzuki seat now that you've had it for a little while?

It works and it works good. :rider: My butt is happy on it everyday now.:mrgreen:

I did notice last friday on the way home from work it was a wee bit warm from sitting under the cover in 85 degree heat but I bet the stocker would not have bee nany cooler.

Brass
05-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the update. I'll be ordering one this week.

gil moreno
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
The spencer seat mods are a significant improvement over the stock seat. He reshapes it and slopes in back and reduces the height a tiny bit. The gel fill is very very comfortable. It is an excellent option to a new seat and at $75 plus shipping a very affordable option.

whitesands
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
It works and it works good. :rider: My butt is happy on it everyday now.:mrgreen:

I did notice last friday on the way home from work it was a wee bit warm from sitting under the cover in 85 degree heat but I bet the stocker would not have bee nany cooler.

Does it eliminate the forward slope any ?

Roy
05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Does it eliminate the forward slope any ?

Seems too.

Shock96
05-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, I am convinced. I am good for about 140-150 miles on my stocker before I need to get off for a while.

Sargents is just going to take too long. Thanks for all the info guys.

Mike

marylynn
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
hey anyone purchase a MRA touring screen windshield for a 07 1250 Bandit? Well I bought one it comes with the upper end of the screen sort of bent forward for wind deflection, but also comes with two triangular shaped holes about 3 inches below the top and centered for? I am not sure here. You guys know about this??

MetrickMetal
05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
hey anyone purchase a MRA touring screen windshield for a 07 1250 Bandit? Well I bought one it comes with the upper end of the screen sort of bent forward for wind deflection, but also comes with two triangular shaped holes about 3 inches below the top and centered for? I am not sure here. You guys know about this??

marylynn,

No offense, but you should have really posted your question up as a seperate thread or did a search and found another existing thread on windshields of which there are at least 4 and posted it up there as your post is really off topic.

marylynn
05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
No offense back! It is hard to to find anyone who has experience with this particular subject. I thought you NICE people would have responded with some useful advise, bummer!

Eyabusa
05-14-2008, 09:57 AM
El Bandito was being "nice". He gave you very "usefull" information. Follow his advice and it will make it easier for you and for others to find the info they are looking for. If you really want to get an answer to your question, post a new thread, and, use the search feature. People logging on will see your question in the title and will perceive that they can be of help to you. Those same people might have no interests or need to be reading this thread on seats and so you will be cutting your chances of getting help.
Check post #1540 on the mega thread for pics of the MRA touring screen. It's not with the variable lip on it though. I ordered one and it should be waiting for me at home when I get back in town. The holes you are talking about are most likely for reducing the back pressure vacuum the screen can create. It's part of their design. I hope that is "useful" to you.
Happy riding,
Erik

whitesands
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Just post a new thread or an existing thread on windhields so this one stays on topic...No one is mad at you...Just a little friendly advice as it keeps the threads better organized that's all.

Shock96
05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Well, I'm a little mad...

Washingtonians need to represent...

:)

Old Compo
05-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Wow . . . around $260 for the new gel seat. You guys are really lucky then! :lol2:

Here in the UK Suzuki are charging 265 . . . that's around $515 American. :eek2:

Rip-off city or what? You know I think I'll price buying one from the States and sus out the shipping costs. Flippin heck . . . it's probably still cheaper! :angryfire

etcthorne
05-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, after reading this thread repeatedly, seeing the pictures, and taking a rather long ride today of about 250 miles (yes, I'm a light weight, but not for long - taking some longer trips is definitely in my future), I'm ready to take the plunge and order the GEL SEAT tomorrow from allthingssuzuki. My butt is still hurting and I got home over 4 hours ago.

If I get it and don't like it, anyone want to buy it from me? :rofl:

OH, here it comes... "sure, I'll take it off your hands for $50.00" :eek2:

Dink.1170
05-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, after reading this thread repeatedly, seeing the pictures, and taking a rather long ride today of about 250 miles (yes, I'm a light weight, but not for long - taking some longer trips is definitely in my future), I'm ready to take the plunge and order the GEL SEAT tomorrow from allthingssuzuki. My butt is still hurting and I got home over 4 hours ago.

If I get it and don't like it, anyone want to buy it from me? :rofl:

OH, here it comes... "sure, I'll take it off your hands for $50.00" :eek2:

"sure, I'll take it off your hands for $50.00"

:trust: ;-) ;-)

Dink

PhilS
05-17-2008, 07:52 PM
"sure, I'll take it off your hands for $50.00"

:trust: ;-) ;-)

Dink

Obviously, $50 is an insult. I'd give you $74.37 and I'll pay the shipping.

Now, that feels better, doesn't it? Clearly it would be a good retunr on your $400 or so investment.:trust:

Phil

Rcdd
05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll give ya $80 and throw in a slightly used stock seat....:rider:

JaredM
05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
any ideas if the seat can lower the bike enough for a 5ft 8in man with a 29in inseam? I sat on the bike and yeah the seat was a little firm and felt forward on it...and I could barely touch the ground with both feet. A little weary about purchasing the bike because of it...considering a fz600 also

gunzip
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,66197.0.html

Give that a try at the dealer

Brass
05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
With the long weekend coming up, I'm guessing someone somewhere will have a few long miles in on the new gel seat.

Could one of you report back on how it rates on longer trips? I have one on order but it won't arrive for at least another week. I'm sure others on here would like to know how many miles can be passed before the need to get off.

SteelD
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I would like to buy one and have it shipped to the UK.

I've contacted Oneida Suzuki who say tersely replied "No International transactions are permitted." I also contacted Everything Suzuki who gave a much more friendly and helpful reply - looks like they'll get my business unless anybody has any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Roy
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
With the long weekend coming up, I'm guessing someone somewhere will have a few long miles in on the new gel seat.

Could one of you report back on how it rates on longer trips? I have one on order but it won't arrive for at least another week. I'm sure others on here would like to know how many miles can be passed before the need to get off.

Consider it done!

I have a 1500 miler starting thursday~monday :rider:

KenB
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM

I've contacted Oneida Suzuki who say tersely replied "No International transactions are permitted." I also contacted Everything Suzuki who gave a much more friendly and helpful reply - looks like they'll get my business unless anybody has any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Oneida Suzuki has nice prices but their customer service is absolutely horrible.

skipper
05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Has any bought the new gel seat for the 1250S Bandit, and if so how do you like it.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/cache/Accessory/detail/d47fe0ba-6313-44cb-9813-78269e0c89cf.jpg

Just received my seat today install was simple and seat is wider and more comfortable it feels firmer than the stock but my b__ls are not sore after a test run.:rider: http://www.twtex.com/forums/images/smilies/happyrider.gif

whitesands
05-22-2008, 01:29 AM
nice to know!

banditbobo
05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
hey, lads & ladesses(?) if you're in the market for the Gel seat, hustle over to ebay & look ebay auction #160243441019.

starting bid is $135; buy it now $175 + $12 shipping.

apparently a little too firm for the owner. (go figure.)

Rcdd
05-23-2008, 11:04 PM
hey, lads & ladesses(?) if you're in the market for the Gel seat, hustle over to ebay & look ebay auction #160243441019.

starting bid is $135; buy it now $175 + $12 shipping.

apparently a little too firm for the owner. (go figure.)

K...who beat me to the punch on the seat?...*L*

Roy
05-26-2008, 03:09 PM

okay I did 1700+ miles on the new gel seat, verdict is, its about a 250 mile seat then I am squirming like before. It is better than stock but not by a huge margin. Worth $300 bucks, in my case yes but I am still not super comfortable on this bike. My butt is boney so some others might like it fine. I can at least walk after riding on it I almost was paralyzed from the stocker after only 60 or so miles.

Brass
05-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Were you ridding solo or 2-up? If 2 up what was the report from the back seat?

Z_Hawk
05-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Thanks.

Oneida has Neanderthals for employees. Took me 4 tries to order from Canada, looks like the fourth time is a charm as I should get my order on Wednesday. First time my g/f called and was tersely hung up on.

Roy
05-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Were you ridding solo or 2-up? If 2 up what was the report from the back seat?

I was by myself this time. She has sat back there on the new seat and liked it.

MetrickMetal
06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Well after only 600 miles the Suzuki gel set is just not working out for me, so I put it up for sale.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28477

KenB
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Well after only 600 miles the Suzuki gel set is just not working out for me, so I put it up for sale.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28477
What didn't you like about it?

rworm
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I am fixin to redo the foam in my seat like my neighbor just did on
his bike/Changed his from worse than the bandit to excellent/
He widened it at the tank and put in a taller and softer piece of
foam and it really is great
rworm

whitesands
06-03-2008, 07:00 PM
My stock seat is starting to break in nicely...Still it could be better..We'll see what sargent comes up with.

KenB
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
My stock seat is starting to break in nicely...Still it could be better..We'll see what sargent comes up with.
How many miles?

whitesands
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
How many miles?

I've got almost 2,000 now...Not a whole lot but I'm starting to notice that the foam isn't quite as stiff and the foward slope isn't as bad....

bones
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I've got almost 2,000 now...Not a whole lot but I'm starting to notice that the foam isn't quite as stiff and the foward slope isn't as bad....
I am at 5800 I think and when I need to refill, around 130-150 if I am lucky, the minor break is enough for me to not want to part with the stock seat just yet.

Brass
06-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Installed the suzuki gel seat today. Install was a snap, just transfer the new "sections" to the stock seat pan. I may order another pan so that either seat can be used.
Was only able to put about 25 miles on it so far. It's firm! The forward slope isn't as bad as the stocker. There is more butt area and more support but noticed that it cuts into my thighs at the tank. FYI, I'm 5'7" 30" inseam, 160lbs with the bike at stock ride height.
At this point the assumption is that the new seat, like the stock one, will need time to break in. Time will tell how well it works.

sproggy
06-05-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm 5'7" 30" inseam, 160lbs with the bike at stock ride height.
At this point the assumption is that the new seat, like the stock one, will need time to break in. Time will tell how well it works.

I'm the same height, inseam and weight as you - I'll be interested to hear your opinion after a few more miles/hours as I'm coming very close to buying the gel seat. Not so much for the padding/gel but for the more rounded shape - I find that the 'edges' of the stock one become uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Brass
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll keep you posted. If I remember I'll also try to get a few before and after pics so you can see the difference between the 2 seats. They are very different. Did I mention how firm (hard) this seat is! You would never know there was any gel at all in the seat.

sproggy
06-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I've seen some pictures somewhere (elsewhere in this thread?) and the seat does look good, although I'm not a huge fan of the textured vinyl they chose for the rider part. The gel seat on my Harley felt like a lump of rock each time I got on the bike but it never became uncomfortable even after several hours. Oh, it weighed as much as a lump of rock too (someone else pointed this out regarding the Suzuki seat) but that's inevitable as gel is a lot denser than foam.

Shape obviously plays a big part but it's also how a seat compresses (or not) over a period of a few hours that determines whether it stays comfortable so starting off firm is OK with me.

Brass
06-06-2008, 09:37 PM
As promised, here are the pics.

sproggy
06-07-2008, 04:22 AM
Great pictures - a perfect comparison between stock and touring. Thanks - I think I'm convinced! The extra inch (?) on the thickness of the passenger seat should improve the wife's comfort by increasing the distance between seat and footrests.

SteelD
06-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Is that a real difference in height. The gel seat doesn't look to be seated down correctly in the second pic.

Brass
06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
It's in fact the stock one that isn't seated correctly. What you're seeing below the gel seat in the second pic is the seat pan.
Try to ignor the positioning of the stock seat. I was trying to show the different profiles.
The extra thickness of the passenger seat is slightly noticeable from the seat of the pants. Most noticeable is the lack of the forward slope. She has noticed such a change the I may have to move the trunk back an inch or two.

rich765
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
I've been riding for 25+ years and have never been in that much pain as when I did 400 miles on my 08 Bandit. I need to do something quick . I made the mistake of leaving the sargent website open and my wife caught a glimpse of the price and took a **** fit. I have to go for something less expensive and am considering the spencer seat modification. I was wondering how the guys who had it done like it, I know the previous posts are like a year old so you probably have a good idea by now. Thanks guys. Your opinions are much appreciated.

Brass
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Yep, a full year has past. I still have the gel seat but it has been modified slightly. The gel has been changed out to a softer gel, about 500 1/8 holes have been drilled into the foam and a set of heating pads have been added for those cooler rides.

The seat is still on the firm side but it and my back side are getting more and more familar with each other. We can manage a 500 mile ride before we need to part ways.

If I was to lay down the cash again, based on what I know now, I may have bought something else. The heater would stay though.

'nough said.

Fittysom'n
10-14-2009, 11:44 PM
rich....

I just did a 1,200 mile ride a few days ago. I did it on a significantly cut down OEM saddle, I weigh 230 pounds, and I did with the help of sheep skin seat cover from Alaska Leather. I've had it for almost 10 years now on a few different bikes.

I would like to have a custom seat made, but I've chosen to money into my bike elsewhere..... the sheep skin seat cover is THAT effective, and it'll cost you under $50 (I think). I paid $30 for mine nine years ago.

MetrickMetal
10-15-2009, 12:31 AM
I've had my Sargent seat now for about 9 months now and it's one of the most comfortable seats I've ever had. :rider:

achesley
10-15-2009, 04:13 AM
So far I'm just really happy with my Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat. We've really broken in to each other and my last 600 plus mile day, after 9 days in the saddle, was not a problem for my 66 year old hiney. This is good. :0)

Brass
10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Here is a possible way out for you, get the sheep skin. Ride with it until you can hide away enough cash to drop on the Sargent or Corbin.
With some saddle time on the sheep skin you might not want the new seat.

JMBJ
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I've had my Sargent seat now for about 9 months now and it's one of the most comfortable seats I've ever had. :rider:

+1 on the Sargent seat. It's a different world:rider:

Will
10-16-2009, 04:30 AM
rich....

I just did a 1,200 mile ride a few days ago. I did it on a significantly cut down OEM saddle, I weigh 230 pounds, and I did with the help of sheep skin seat cover from Alaska Leather. I've had it for almost 10 years now on a few different bikes.

I would like to have a custom seat made, but I've chosen to money into my bike elsewhere..... the sheep skin seat cover is THAT effective, and it'll cost you under $50 (I think). I paid $30 for mine nine years ago.

Sounds like you are very happy with your seat choice. If I might suggest another alternative to you and others I will pass along my experience. I recently purchased a 2009 Bandit 1250 SEA version and was uncomfortable for my first 2000 km (1250 miles). My wife purchased a Vulcan 900 with a custom seat on it and it needed to be adjusted to fit her size and shape. We were provided with the name of the company who performed the initial custom seat and checked them out on line and proceded to make an appointment. It was the best thing we ever did. It was a fully customized seat matched perfectly to our rear ends. There was no break in period. It was instant comfort. It just happened to be the day prior to a 11000 km + trip (7000 mile). I never had to stop once because my butt needed a rest. I will be heading back to those folks in Kingston, Washington, without a doubt, for every bike I ever own. They have been in business for near 20 years originally working out of Seattle and now a ferry ride across to Kingston. The place is Called Rich's Custom Seats. Check it out. Well worth the 1000's of miles of true personalized comfort. They say seats are one size fits all when it comes to new bikes, but normally they fit nobody. When I sit on my bike I know perfectly well who this seat is made for. I had mine custom fit in a one day appt where you will be given several fittings and taking the bike out for test rides on the seats comfort until you are satisfied completly. I had mine jelled and covered in a custom leather patterned seat for $425. This shop is one professionally run shop, infact many of the guys have been working for Rich for 15 to 20 years. Fantastic service. They work on them all Goldwings, Harleys, BMW's, customs. You name it. I would bet that you would throw out the sheep skin if you visited these folks. I hope that this will help you guys out. check them out at ..... http://www.richscustomseats.com