PDA

View Full Version : SV650S to Bandit 1250S

NUTT
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I’m seriously considering replacing my current 1st Gen SV650S with a new Bandit 1250S.

Most of my miles are commuter miles, currently 72 per day (round trip), average 4 days a week. My commute is either going up to 102 miles per day or down to 68 miles per day in the very near future due to a change in my job role.

The ergonomics on the SV just don’t seem to fit me that well for rides over an hour or so. I’m 6’2” 210 lbs with bad knees. The SV is a pretty compact bike & it is a little too tight in the legs.

I’d like to start taking some overnight trips on the bike. So, I’ll need something that is all day long comfortable and also provides more 2 up comfort. It is going to get a set of hard bags, heated grips & a comfortable seat.

There are a couple of bikes that fit the bill, including the Bandit, V/Wee Strom, Kaw Versys, Triumph Tiger, Buell Uly, BMW has a few & I’m sure I’m missing a couple more.

I’d like to stick with something a little more “sport” oriented.

The Stroms are out due to tire choices. Plus, I’ve got a KLR if I want to get dirty.

The Triumph, Buell & BMW’s are more money than I’d like to spend.

I want more power than the Versys has.

That leaves the Suzuki Bandit 1250S. ABS is a plus, I dig the looks, the motor is supposed to be spectacular & it can go from commuter bike to ST bike to backroad blaster in a matter of minutes.

Questions, comments or snide remarks?

windman
02-27-2008, 02:06 PM
all you read about the engine is true...exceptional Torque..

The only thing I can say is that the seat is not so comfortable...some says it will break down after a few thousand km ...but I have 12000 km on mine And yes it's better than new...but I'm considering adding a Corbin...

ceddec
02-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Just thought: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/587220358.html Not that I'm biased or anything. I have no idea who is selling but this is not a bad deal if still available.

treybrad
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Iím seriously considering replacing my current 1st Gen SV650S with a new Bandit 1250S.

I traded in my '03 SV Naked for my 1250, haven't looked back. Here's why:

Most of my miles are commuter miles, currently 72 per day (round trip), average 4 days a week. My commute is either going up to 102 miles per day or down to 68 miles per day in the very near future due to a change in my job role.

Over half of my miles are commuting as well, but about half the distance of yours. I ride everyday unless the weather is just complete trash, heated jacket, grips, and the windscreen are a welcome change coming off my naked SV.

Don't expect to get quite as good gas mileage depending on how your commute is. Mine is 15mi one way, takes about 30-35 minutes in traffic, there's lots of stop and go. The SV netted me around 45mpg doing this, the 1250 got me about 42mpg stock, and now w/ exhaust/TFI/intake it's more like 39-40mpg. Still better than the truck at 20mpg any day...

Out cruising around, I get just as good or better on the Bandit as I did on the SV. I don't know if it's gearing or what, but I get about 46-48mpg on the open road, same as with the SV.

The ergonomics on the SV just donít seem to fit me that well for rides over an hour or so. Iím 6í2Ē 210 lbs with bad knees. The SV is a pretty compact bike & it is a little too tight in the legs.

I'm not as tall, about 5' 10", but the SV was a little cramped in my legs after spending more than a couple hours in the saddle. I have to ride the Bandit 8+ hours to start getting any discomfort in my knees, so it's a definite improvement.

Iíd like to start taking some overnight trips on the bike. So, Iíll need something that is all day long comfortable and also provides more 2 up comfort. It is going to get a set of hard bags, heated grips & a comfortable seat.

Same here. I like to spend 8-10hrs in the saddle killing a day on the weekends. 2-up comfort is absolutely night and day, especially for the rider. I had lower bars on the SV to mimick the clip-ons like your S, and the weight on my wrists wasn't a problem alone, but w/ passenger.. it wasn't fun. I did a few 200mi days on the SV w/ the lady perched up there, but I have a 1,000mi weekend coming up w/ her on the Bandit... never would have done that on the SV.

There are a couple of bikes that fit the bill, including the Bandit, V/Wee Strom, Kaw Versys, Triumph Tiger, Buell Uly, BMW has a few & Iím sure Iím missing a couple more.

I knew the most off road I'd get was just gravel roads or packed dirt (which the 1250 does just fine on, BTW). A Uly, Tiger, Strom, etc would've been a waste. Plus, I wanted something different... I didn't want to buy something new and have the same motor again (wee), variety is the spice of life.

If I want to do dirt, I've thought about getting a KLR or DRZ or something. I don't want to be limited in comfort/performance on the road b/c I like to go off-road every other month... I'll gladly take a Wee if someone is giving them away though...

That leaves the Suzuki Bandit 1250S. ABS is a plus, I dig the looks, the motor is supposed to be spectacular & it can go from commuter bike to ST bike to backroad blaster in a matter of minutes.

You won't be dissapointed w/ the Bandit. The ABS is great, especially for commuting. We seem to have very similar riding preferences, I know I enjoy the Bandit much more overall. The motor on the Bandit is everything you've read... it's a 180 from the SV. Smoooooth, torquey, and still lots of zip on the top end.

If you can be patient and get a used one, there are great deals already. I've seen quite a few non-ABS models going for $6,000 or just a little more...

trey

Marc B
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I am 6.1 230lbs and the ergos suit me fine, the seat starts feeling narrow to me after being in it for a while so i find myself shifting my tail front to rear and back but its tolerable, as for 2 up, wife is 5.2 120 and she has yet to ride it with me , ive made her sit on it with me with the top case on it and the only problem i can see is the pass.pegs are a little high and looks like it would get hard on her for an all day ride, she does like the back support that the top case feels like it would give. I couldnt or wouldnt afford a FJR, concours at 13.000+++ and so im am content with the very quick 1250s. OH the RED ones are best.

RTL
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
What about one of these?
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/GSX650FK8.jpg

treybrad
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
What about one of these?

Almost the same weight as the 1250, and not much less expensive... They're neat bikes, I'd love to ride one, but bang/buck, not quite the value the 1250 is...

trey

Jack Giesecke
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Seat is rough on the Bandit? Have you ridden an SV? :giveup: :rofl: I still like the SV, though, great fun, very light and nimble, enough power to make me happy on the street. I think the more sit up position of the Bandit's ergos and the bigger chassis, more leg room, would be nice on a commuter, though, if the commute was very far. And, in traffic, any sort of clip ons, even my Hawk bars, gets old stop light to stop light. On any sort of long ride, the Bandit HAS to be the more comfortable bike. JMH SV riding O, though.

Marc B
02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
What about one of these?

Looks like a bandit everything save for the fairing and pistons, forks may be smaller dia. too. Check that gear box! looks familiar.

treybrad
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Seat is rough on the Bandit? Have you ridden an SV? :giveup: :rofl:

Ha, I forgot to comment about the seat complaints. I rode my SV about like I ride the Bandit. Quite a few 300mi days and a 500mi one here and there...

The Bandit seat feels GREAT compared to the SV!

The Bandit seat isn't the best, I'll be the first to admit, but it felt better on the ride home than the SV on the way to the dealer... Now, with around 10,000mi, the Bandit seat is almost, dare I say... comfortable? I've got an Alaskan Sheepskin pad thing that I'll throw on when I know I'll be gone all day, and the seat is fine.

trey

NUTT
02-28-2008, 06:57 AM
I did find out that you can get decent tires for the Strom... Pilot Roads & Conti Road Attack come in a 19" front that fits. I still don't want one.

As for the GSX650F, it could be tossed into the ring, but the power of the Bandit will likely win out. I've pretty much decided on it.

NUTT
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM
My mind is pretty much made up after sleeping on it and cross-posting to SVRider. I think I'm a month or so from making the purchase.

Can anyone suggest a Houston area dealership? Within 75 miles should work.

I'm leaning towards Richmond Suzuki.

treybrad
02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
My mind is pretty much made up after sleeping on it and cross-posting to SVRider. I think I'm a month or so from making the purchase.

Can anyone suggest a Houston area dealership? Within 75 miles should work.

I'm leaning towards Richmond Suzuki.

I don't have a clue what's in Houston, but call around to as many dealers as you can. The Bandit is still a Bandit, they just don't sell that great, so you can probably find a leftover '07 somewhere...

Are you hooked on ABS? I think an ABS leftover might be hard to find, but who knows.

http://www.bartlesvillecyclesports.com/new_vehicle_list.asp?sid=02942011X2K28K2008J8I58I2 7JAMQ999R0&Manufacturer=4&Category=1&CatDesc=Motorcycles

Probably better price than you'll get here, but it's good leverage for negotiating. Maybe a fly and ride?

Good luck.

trey

02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Of all the bikes I have owned over the years I have never felt the need to buy an after market seat (hard *** I guess) When I got my new Bandit I thought oh my god I'm going to have to buy a different seat (*** very sore) but now after 2000 miles the stock seat is just fine and I ride a lot of 300 plus mile days.

Jack Giesecke
02-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Give El Campo Cycle Center a call. Might be worth the trip.

NUTT
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM
So, it looks like my commute will be dropping down to about 68 miles per day. This might slow the purchase of a Bandit. Of course it might not.

poser
03-03-2008, 01:42 PM
if you ride a uly you might change your mind, they are sweet.
I'm pretty sure thats going to be nex bike when the SV is paid off

but for suzuki, Frank at Richmond suzuki treated me really well on the purchace of my SV. its a small local type shop,you'll more than likely get to talk to the owner tony.
the thing that really impressed me about Richmond Suzuki was, the day I went to pick up the SV, I had my wife pick me up from work and take me down there. Well I forgot my helmet and Tony [the owner] let me borrow one of his for the ride home, and I took it back to him the next day

okman
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I just made a similar change.. going from a 2006 Vstrom 650 to a 2007 Bandit 1250S with ABS.

I wasn't ready to leave the little wee-strom, becuase it's been such a great bike. The Bandit, however, IMHO, is the best choice for blending comfort, rideability and performance.

You'll of course, give up some on MPG.

Before I settled on the Bandit, I had 3 bikes. the Vstrom, the Bandit and a 1994 Ninja ZX-11. One was too soft... one was too hard, and the Bandit was juuuuuust right!

Good luck! Vaughn

PS: I got a deal on the Bandit. I picked it up for $6,500 cash. It had 599 miles. Was originally purchsed by a guy who got scared of the performance... (understandably so..). The bike has lots of weird scratches. The RPM gauge glass is broke, the windscreen is sratched the paint has a scratch. etc..

Of course, I promptly laid it down within the first 2 weeks and now it's ready to ride! BTW, I broke 2 ribs.. ouch.

poser
03-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I meant to ask what you're gonna do with the SV?
trade it in, or keep it for a track bike:trust:

NUTT
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
if you ride a uly you might change your mind, they are sweet.

Yeah... I've ridden the Uly before and something inside of me is telling me to just spend the extra money for one. We'll see.

I meant to ask what you're gonna do with the SV?
trade it in, or keep it for a track bike:trust:

I doubt I'll trade it in. I'll probably clean it up & put it up for sale sometime in the next month or two. Spring fever is probably good for an extra $500.

poser
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah... I've ridden the Uly before and something inside of me is telling me to just spend the extra money for one. We'll see.

yeah the voice inside me tells me the same thing

I doubt I'll trade it in. I'll probably clean it up & put it up for sale sometime in the next month or two. Spring fever is probably good for an extra $500.

*cough* track bike *cough*

I'll need an SV track buddy when I start doing track days this year :rider:

Sheep
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, I already had the Bandit 1250 and recently went out and bought an SV650 naked. I use it as my "daily driver", though not as far as you are riding per day... but it is a LOT of fun in whole different way than the Bandit. It's too easy to run up miles very quickly on the Bandit, so I got the SV which also is 10mpg better at 55mpg. And believe it or not, I'm considering taking a trip on it. This little sucker above 4000rpms pulls like a freight train... handling is terrific for stock bike. If you can afford it or have the space, you might want to consider keeping the SV also for variety and a backup in case you want to work on the Bandit. Just started modding the SV and love the V-twin's characteristics and sound. I'd surely miss her.

SV650...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/sheepstb/SV650-3.jpg

Bandit 1250, with considerable number of mods, even since this pic...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/sheepstb/Bandit6.jpg

kirbykajin
04-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, I already had the Bandit 1250 and recently went out and bought an SV650 naked. I use it as my "daily driver", though not as far as you are riding per day... but it is a LOT of fun in whole different way than the Bandit. It's too easy run up miles very fast on the Bandit, so I got the SV which also is 10mpg better at 55mpg. And believe it or not, I'm considering taking a trip on it. This little sucker above 4000rpms pulls like a freight train... handling is terrific for stock bike. If you can afford it or have the space, you might want to consider keeping the SV also for variety and a backup in case you want to work on the Bandit. Just started modding the SV and love the V-twin's characteristics and sound. I'd surely miss her..

What exhaust do you have on your bikes? Looks like a D&D can with the nameplate removed. Just curious?

treybrad
04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
What exhaust do you have on your bikes? Looks like a D&D can with the nameplate removed. Just curious?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Holeshot mufflers on both bikes.

I had a Holeshot high-mount on my SV... :drool: Sounded GREAT!

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/gstwin/sv.jpg

www.holeshot.com

trey

Sheep
04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Holeshot mufflers on both bikes.

I had a Holeshot high-mount on my SV... :drool: Sounded GREAT!

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/gstwin/sv.jpg
trey

You got it! Not sure about which Holeshot version you have. Mine is the 14" Comp 1 (which is often used by guys with the high-pipe). That pipe does bark; at low speed it sounds like a "baby H-D".

I ordered muff in polished, no label and plan to powdercoat the can in a little while other than black when I also p-coat wheels and Holeshot reservoir cover. Waiting for Dale to get the Dobeck tuning worked out for the '07-08 SV650's.

I like the look of high-pipe version, BUT it doesn't permit use of throw-over saddlebags for trips and you must use small flush mount rear turn signals. Currently use rear signal stalks as one of anchor points for the Cortech sport bags so they don't slide forward. I've got a fender eliminator on order so that will improve looks of the SV.