PDA

View Full Version : Neutral at redline?

camperjohn
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Has anyone ridden their bike to redline? I was on the freeway last night, put it down two gears and throttled it like mad. When it hit redline, the neutral light came on and the clutch seemed to disengage. It would also not accelerate anymore. I didn't do this deliberatly, I was just trying to get past my buddy.

Does the bandit have some sort of redline engine protection? Has anyone tried this?

JM

Rusty Shackleford
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
not really sure about the bandit but most likely you were hitting the rev limiter,Which kills spark to keep it from over revving .It kinda feels like the the engine just quits making power ....Jack

TWTim
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Does the bandit have some sort of redline engine protection?

The bike has an electronic rev limiter, which cuts the spark to two cylinders. That said, I've rev-limited a lot of bikes over the past 20 years, but never had one display a neutral light as it protested.

camperjohn
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I am thinking it makes sense to disable the clutch as well as terminate the spark, since when downshifting, the rear wheel could overrev the engine. But I definately saw the green neutral light come on.

bones
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I love hearing rev limiters hit on big blocks, not so much on bikes....

Diderich
02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Did you perchance drop it into 2nd to pass? It could have jumped out of gear into neutral?

My trumpet will jump out of second into the never never land between 2 and 3 if I bang a hard upshift at redline...you may be seeing something similar...

Maintainer
02-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Most all modern vehicles including motorcycles have rev limiters so you don't grenade the motor like back in the old days. You must not ride very hard if you don't already know that, LOL. I like to find the limiter cut in ASAP on my bikes then back it down just a bit to get the most out of 'em.;-) The neutral light sounds like a partial, missed shift, or a tranny kickback.

camperjohn
02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Did you perchance drop it into 2nd to pass? It could have jumped out of gear into neutral?

No I'm sure I didn't. When I let go of the throttle, it kicked back into gear.

windman
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Here you can ear the rev limiter going 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t67dOjaZfA

windman
02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
or even better..look at this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEu-OZQ2TQ&NR=1

treybrad
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
You can hear Dale bouncing off the limiter in this video:

http://www.holeshot.com/videos/Ban1250SpeedRun.mpg

trey

camperjohn
02-28-2008, 03:35 PM
You can hear Dale bouncing off the limiter in this video:

http://www.holeshot.com/videos/Ban1250SpeedRun.mpg

trey

Holy crap where is that road? I wanna try going 160 on my Bandit in the middle of nowhere!

It's hard to go that fast downtown San Diego. I run over too many mexicans.

treybrad
02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Holy crap where is that road? I wanna try going 160 on my Bandit in the middle of nowhere!

It's hard to go that fast downtown San Diego. I run over too many mexicans.

Ha, Holeshot is in SoCal somewhere... looks a little more wide-open than San Diego though...

trey

suzukijo
02-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Has anyone ridden their bike to redline? I was on the freeway last night, put it down two gears and throttled it like mad. When it hit redline, the neutral light came on and the clutch seemed to disengage. It would also not accelerate anymore. I didn't do this deliberatly, I was just trying to get past my buddy. Does the bandit have some sort of redline engine protection? Has anyone tried this? JM

i have resisted replying to this message, as it will not be the answer you want to hear.

what happened is that when you downshifted twice, it didnt go all the way in whatever gear you stabbed at, and the trans popped out to neutral. when it 'kicked back into gear', the time before that it was out of gear, perhaps near neutral.
instant green light, and redine.
zip.
instantly.

you can easily duplicate this by leaving your bike in neutral and wfo the throttle, and watch it go to redline, with the green light on.

with it on the centerstand, or traveling at whatever speed you choose.
the engine will reach a point where it will hover, and go no higher.

GregH
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
So if I can get it to hover will I be able to ride across the lake? :rofl:

TWTim
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
what happened is that when you downshifted twice, it didnt go all the way in whatever gear you stabbed at, and the trans popped out to neutral. when it 'kicked back into gear', the time before that it was out of gear, perhaps near neutral. instant green light, and redine.

Yep. I thought of this after I posted my initial response. I should've figured that a new rider who hasn't yet experienced a rev limiter might also be prone to getting his gears confused.

:thumb:

suzukijo
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Ha, Holeshot is in SoCal somewhere... looks a little more wide-open than San Diego though...

trey

la selva ca is south of san francisco, near santa cruz.

http://maps.live.com/ then simply cut and past his address, from his website, 320 Babe Thompson Road - La Selva, CA. 95076, and then search, bam your there.

for grins, type in your address, and see. you can toggle from maps to arial, or hybrid. similar to google earth. everyone should have that in their computer, at least the free version. of course this works well when you have to ride somewhere to see whats what.