• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW cylinder head protection

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on crash bars for BMW R bikes, specifically GS models that will probably see mainly paved road with the ever so seldom dirt/gravel road? I read a report from a dealer that suggested that in a crash bars can actually cause problems in a slide.

Our PD bikes (RT-Ps) have crash bars and those plastic guards too. They have paid for themselves already.

I don't see how they could hurt anything in a crash. If nothing else they keep the heads from contacting the pavement.

And they make for some decent highway bars if you can stop your foot from slipping off to the side!

:tab I like the Wunderlich bars for the 1150GS. I have never gone down at speed, but the bike has been on its' side a few times in the dirt. They work great and you can mount aux lights on them. The best thing is that you don't have to remove them to do any of the normal maintenance. Easy to install and very sturdy. They mount ONLY to the frame unlike several other brands that mount to the tiny little bolts that hold the belly pan in place. I really don't see how they could cause any problems in a slide that would be worse than just sliding on the cylinder head :shrug:

Adios,

Hall Puckett said:
I read a report from a dealer that suggested that in a crash bars can actually cause problems in a slide.

:scratch I don't see how....

There is a good thread on this subject HERE

I had the SW-Motech on an 1150GS and used them to rest my legs for a few minutes on long trips and when riding two-up, since my wife didn't like me standing-up on the pegs.

riderview.JPG

Paid $200 delivered to my door from Twisted Throttle

1889-350x350.jpg

I also mounted the huge PIAA lights to these bars using inexpensive BMW (oxymoron) brackets from the old R80GSPD (clamp that held the skid plate to the frame).

46631455461 is half the clamp
46631455462 is the other half
46632315308 is the rubber strap that fits between the clamp and the crash bar

Paid les that $10 for two of each.

Adan,

Did you have to remove that guard to do valve checks and oil changes? That's a beastly looking guard :shock:

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Did you have to remove that guard to do valve checks and oil changes?

Nope, that is one of the good things about these and several other aftermarket guards ;-)

Tourmeister said:
That's a beastly looking guard :shock:

:rofl A beastly guard for a beastly bike :lol:

Wish I had a pic handy with the satellite-dish PIAAs mounted :-P

Hall Puckett said:
I read a report from a dealer that suggested that in a crash bars can actually cause problems in a slide.

I'm not sure exactly the type of problems the dealer may have been refering to but I've run across reliable documentation in the past that does show a few potential problems. Keep in mind that these issues are not bike specific.

First, there was found to be a change with the type of injuries caused during accidents. I can't remember the specifics so this is worth researching further if you are interested. But, if memory serves, crash bars tended to cause breaks higher up on the leg that caused more problems during recovery. This was primarily related to the large crash bars introduced in the late 70's. I don't believe that a small bar that just wraps around the cylinder would cause this type of problem though.

Second, and more applicable to todays crash bars, depending on how the crash bars are mounted, the forces transmitted to the mounting point during a crash could cause more damage than if bars had not been installed. For instance: bikes without crash bars might damage the side covers of the engine or the valve covers on a BMW but bikes with crash bars could bend the frame. Which is more expensive to fix? Usually a bent frame.

Just a few thoughts.

Carl

Back