• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Timing Retarder Eliminator (TRE) do they work ?

The power commander is a fuel injection mapping device. That is, it allows for tuning of the intake system, in essence like changing jets, needles etc. in a carburatored bike.
No personal experience with these.

The TRE affects ignition timing.
From Ivans site.....it is supposed to disallow the Suzuki designed ignition timing retarding at low throttle openings.

I put it on my bike about 6-7 months ago. I like it alot.......two notable effects are:
- smooths out the ride when puttering through a 35 mph zone
- seems to smooth out throttle transition when going from low to high throttle.
Contrary to what some have said, I find this smoothing to occur throughout the gear range.

Also...It moved the regulated redline from 9500 to about 10000 rpm and is supposed to eliminate the 120 (?) mph speed restriction.
The device does cause loss of the overdrive gear indicator light.

Steve

Does this eliminate the "idle hammering" that is often spoken of on the VStrom Forum? I think I heard it last night waiting at a light that took forever to change. Sorta like an intermittent pinging noise....

Are the v-strom's fuel injected, or carbed still?

I had a TRE on both my Busa, and my Gixxer 750. I really noticed it more on the Gixxer, really helped to smooth out the low rpm ride. I "hear" it also eliminates the speed limiter on the Busa too, though I wouldn't know anything about that ... [me whistles innocently]

I definitely recommend them, at least for the zook inline 4 engines.

Thanks Steve, Rocket Cowboy and Albie for the TRE info. I installed mine on my Vstrom about 600 miles ago and I am very impressed. I like to do dirt road exploring and the low speeds I drive when I am not sure about the road ahead (20- 30) was a real hassle before the TRE. The TRE smoothed out the engine bucking. Definitely worth the $118 ( 110 + 8 shipping) I paid.

Bill

Hi Bill - I think that I missed you yestaday...
I don't think I saw you with the Venus group. :-(

I think I am interested in that TRE also - where did you get yours?

(nevermind - I spotted the link on your initial post - duh) :roll:

I assume that you got the TRE-04?

Back