• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Burgman 400

Dragwn

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lane
Ok, so my better half has decided this is what she wants. Now, before I go ahead and go order one in blue....feedback is requested on this model.

Things like Average mpg, service intervals, tires, any gripes. I'm going to have the seat shaved down and narrowed. She is 5 ft tall with short legs and longer torso, so shaving the seat will be a required, but the rest of the ergos fit her quite well.

Good or bad, post up if you or someone you know has experience with it.

Thanks.

A good friends father had one of these(blue 400 Burgman) and everytime he came to the StarBucks where we hangout I went out of my way to tell him what a really neat"Bike" it was and how much I liked it. Mostly just to make him feel welcome in a group of SportBikers with his little moped.
So one Friday nite he shows I chat him up and all of a sudden out come the Keys! In his best Engrish( he's from Bulgaria) he says "you Ride".:giveup: :giveup:
Needless to say I really like the guy and would never want to hurt his feelings, So in front of all of my Biker Buddies I take the key and take the walk of shame.
So as I'm mounting the scooter in front of all of my silently jeering buddies, I think to myself"What could possibly be worse?".
Yeah well thats when my other buddies big fat wife comes running helmet in hand and jumps on back.:doh:
Now all those fat girl moped jokes are just waiting to be unleashed!
I have to say that even with 400+ pounds of rider driver the bike accelerated fine and rode through traffic well. It was comfortable and easy to manuever even 2 up.
Later we went on a trip out of town as a group and I rode the Burgman on the highway several miles, Comfort power oh and dare I say that it surpassed 100mph with my fat butt on it!
I really like these little bikes and am quite impressed with their all around ability to put in traffic or tour on the highway. I think this is a great choice and hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed the opportunities I got to ride my friends!
SRAD
I guess thats the end of my "Tough Guy" image

So as I'm mounting the scooter in front of all of my silently jeering buddies, I think to myself"What could possibly be worse?".
Yeah well thats when my other buddies big fat wife comes running helmet in hand and jumps on back.:doh:
Now all those fat girl moped jokes are just waiting to be unleashed!

If your "buddies" didn't take any pics, it never happened. :trust:

I really enjoy my 650. It gets about 50 mpg...the 400's do better. I hear 60 -70. Go to burgmanusa.com and read. The 400 is lighter, one cylinder, and handles differently. No one has figured out how long these last yet because they just keep running.

My wife has the Grey 2007, she could never handle a clutch. She loves it. I am quite impressed with its ability to go highway speeds and above with no trouble at all. The only issue I have had is the front tire was on backwards, that is to say the arrow was going the wrong direction, the dealership corrected. Only just got to the 600 mile service. On long trips she rides 2 up with me. It is a motorcycle in scooter clothing.

Keep the info and reviews coming :mrgreen: Sounds good so far too..

Thanks Soozy, I bookmarked the site to look at at length later this week.

She is 5 ft tall

My wife test rode a 400 before she got her Aprilia. Her previous scooter sat somewhat high, so she felt unfomfortable on the lower Burgman. Her Aprilia also sits high. Since she towers over Olivia at 5'4" :lol2:, I suspect the lower seat height would be best for O on the 400. My wife admitted that if she hadn't taken the Atlantic, she would have given either the Burgman 400 or 650 another look.

Our 650 has been great with no issues. It just runs & runs. We do about 7000 miles per year just kicking around. On the Sealy pie run, Jeanne managed about 250 miles for the day and could have done a lot more. Its just as fun on a 2 mile run to get cokes. If I could only figure out how to get the cat to the vet without using the trunk :eek2: :duck: :rofl:

Keith,

Just sent you a PM re. the Burgman 400.
Biggest dislike for me was the stock windscreen - lots of turbulence. Just installed a new Givi shield from HelmetHead.com (best price and free shipping + a free T-shirt) and it does away with the turbulence. My wife and I are comfortable about getting on the highways here in San Antonio 2-up - enough power for merging/keeping up with traffic. Uses a inner cartridge oil filter element, so a little messier/time-consuming than a spin-on filter. I plan on adding a Jac Vinson (located in Austin) driver's backrest in the future and a passenger's backrest. Handles just fine and currently getting about 58 MPG, which should improve to the mid-60's or better after break-in. With gas at $3+/gallon, I'll be alternating between the truck, Goldwing and Burgman for transportation to work.

Ed W.
'07 Suzuki Burgman (blue)
'02 GL1800

I have a GIVI screen they sent me when I ordered my topcase and never sent a call tag out for it. If interested let me know, I'll never use it and could not sell it online

I too am looking at getting a Suzuki Burgman 400 and upon reading all these posts...........I think I am sold.:rider:

We are going this weekend to test drive one. Wish me luck and keep the posts coming. I have been trying to find pictures of people on the specific bike and all the ones I find are the ones from dealerships and all. Can anyone help me find some pictures of actual people on them and what they look like on the road.:giveup:

Can anyone help me find some pictures of actual people on them and what they look like on the road.:giveup:

First, :welcome: to the forum, Toots :trust:

Mind being a little more specific about your location in "Texas"? It's a rather large state, doncha know... :giveup:

And.... have you not been here: http://www.burgmanusa.com/ ?

There should be a zillion pictures... :zen:

I live in Forney. Sorry,:doh: I am a little sceptical on letting strangers know my exact location so that is the reason for just Texas. :trust: Forney isn't that big of a town and everyone knows everyone for the most part.:mrgreen:

Also, Thank you for your assistance. I found some really great pictures. Now I have a good sense of what to expect when I try to get on one. I am only 5'4"

I am a little sceptical on letting strangers know my exact location so that is the reason for just Texas. :trust: Forney isn't that big of a town and everyone knows everyone for the most part.:mrgreen:

So, we just need to stop at a gas station in Forney and ask how to find Toots and they would know, right? ;-) :lol2:

Where will you get the test ride, Mesquite maybe?

Since you are nearby, check out DFW Scooterist (used to be North Texas Scooter Club).

There is also an East Texas Scooter Club - there are several Burgmans in their Meet and Greet last Thursday - see here.

It looks like their web site is here...

I need to make an ET Meet & Greet this year - they schedule it for the second Tuesday of the month. Their schedule is here. I usually make some of them but I have been shut out this year. :-(

Hope that helps you find what you need...

Well not for Toots. No one here knows me by that name. Only my husband does.:rofl: The meet and greet sounds great, but we don't have the bikes as of yet. So there is another bike store that would sale these? Cool. Thanks again for all your help. It is much appreciated.:thumb:

The meet and greet sounds great, but we don't have the bikes as of yet.

There is no requirement to ride or even own a motorcycle or scooter to attend these get-togethers. Just realize that these folks like to talk about motorized 2-wheelers and look at those in the parking lot, and - very important - they like to EAT! So, if you want to talk, gawk, and eat, then you are certainly welcome to come. In fact, you may get a chance to ask questions and see bikes "for real" before purchasing so you can make the right decision.

So there is another bike store that would sale these? Cool.

There are several shops in the DFW area that sell Suzuki motorcycles and scooters. There are other dealers that sell other brand scooters like Vespa, Piaggio, Kymco. Also, Yamaha and Honda have scooters as well.

Also, if you find something or want to see what customers think of a particular dealership, you can ask on here and find out what other folks think.

Thanks for that. :thumb:
I will talk to him about it, but I know I am sold on the Burgman 400. It is plenty small/big enough to do what I will be buying it for and that is for back and forth to work to save on gas. We, my husband n I, own a truck and n suv. Gas guzzling monsters. Gotta start watching the gas.:zen:
That and it will save on the milage on our vehicles as well.:hail:

Re: Suzuki Burgman 400 Givi Windscreen Installation

I don't know if anyone is interested in replacing their Suzuki factory windscreen with a Givi but after reading about how terrific they are in other forums i bought one and installed it. I love it.

Since there also seemed to be so many posts around the Internet about how to actually install the Givi (and I read them all), I was a little concerned that the installation process was a tricky and a challenge. Far from it. So I wrote my own installation instructions for those of you who want to change your Burgman 400 windscreen and want to save time and some "head scratching" when doing the installation (hopefully). The instructions can be found at;

http://sites.google.com/site/jchertig/

You can also download a PDF if you like.

Back