PDA

View Full Version : Fishing, BBQ, & Red Dirt.

OLDERMXER
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Loaded up my KLX & trucked it up to my brother's lake house on Sam Rayburn Saturday Morning with plans to head back home Sunday morning. Arrived about 9:30. After a short "Hi YA how ya doing", we walked down to the lake & did some fishing. I had a new rod & reel I got for Christmas that I got to try out. The fish were not cooperating so we fired up the BBQ pit & cooked some thick very tasty pork chops & sausage for lunch. :eat:
Nice to visit but I was ready to do some riding.

:rider: I left his house about 2:00pm & headed north on FR 226 about 6 miles. I crossed Hwy-103 in Etoile & continued north on 226 about 5 more miles to a state maintained dirt road to the east. From there the opportunities were endless. I spent the next 4 hours riding dirt roads, fire breaks & 2 track trails that were hardly used. Some of the red dirt on the roads was so deep & rich in red color they were absoloutly beautiful. After about an hour of riding my first stop was at the end of a trail which dead-headed @ a 30' creek bluff. The woods were thick & beautiful. As I started my bike up to head out, I startled some of the biggest deer (bucks) across the creek. What a sight watching them bound away jumping up & down to clear the thicket. I later saw another small herd of deer on a wide right-of-way with rolling hills & planted with dark green grass. With dark approaching I was able to explore a couple of other dirt roads & trails off of them as I headed back on 226 south of Hwy 103 to the house. Turning west off of 226 the road to the lake house paralles the lake & the view of the setting sun on the lake capped off a fantastic 75 plus mile day.

The intention of this trip was to explore opportunities & have some fun. Mission accomplished with much more to find. I did some mapping but need to do more on my next trip. I got up Sunday morning thinking I may do another ride but for a variety of reasons I didn't & headed back to Highlands. :giveup:
The ride was an absoloute joy & better than I could have imagined. The weather was perfect :sun: as was the dirt. No dust & very little mud.

Two problems:
1) I had forgot to put my mirrors back on from the trip to Boulder Creek a few weeks ago...A minor issue as it turned out.
2) I didn't have a riding partner which did stop me a couple of times from going even deeper into the woods. I would have been much more comfortable with someone else along.

This area, as I expected is full of true Dual Sport riding & I am already planning my next trip back. As mentioned I will need a riding partner for the next trip to do more mapping & exploring. The goal would be to map out enough riding for a 2 day ride with as many riders as we can get for the future. Any interest?:rider: :-P

Bryan

Greasemonkey
03-07-2008, 08:00 AM
East texas has some real cool riding.Good scenery,good food and most speak english,well sort of.

Kinda hard to pass up being so close to home.

Wastrel
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Always interested in 2 track. After my adventures in the park week before last I have had to promise the wife I would stick to dirt roads and the like. I managed to hyper extend my right knee, mistakenly thinking I was still 16, consequently she has lowered the boom. I have had to promise to avoid single track, MX, and anything remotely looking like it could break an old mans brittle bones, hehehe. Looks like I will be spending alot of time getting this bike prepped for TAT style trails rather than full on stump jumping. ( I must admit to a bit of relief on my part, I didn't realise just how out of shape I was, hehe.) So now I have an excuse to take it easy and just enjoy some dirt roads rather than trying to be an extreme off-roader. Whew, what a relief that is to my aching old body.

OLDERMXER
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Always interested in 2 track. After my adventures in the park week before last I have had to promise the wife I would stick to dirt roads and the like. I managed to hyper extend my right knee, mistakenly thinking I was still 16, consequently she has lowered the boom. I have had to promise to avoid single track, MX, and anything remotely looking like it could break an old mans brittle bones, hehehe. Looks like I will be spending alot of time getting this bike prepped for TAT style trails rather than full on stump jumping. ( I must admit to a bit of relief on my part, I didn't realise just how out of shape I was, hehe.) So now I have an excuse to take it easy and just enjoy some dirt roads rather than trying to be an extreme off-roader. Whew, what a relief that is to my aching old body.

You & I are in the same boat it sounds like. :giveup: Hope your knee is better :rider: .
After riding a little more single track I realized how tight & scared I rode @ Boulder Creek a few weeks ago. That was the most challenging terrain I have ever rode anywhere. The guys I rode with Chris, Tony, Casey etc. were riding a pace that I just wouldn't do most of the time so I played catch up & they played the waiting game. Don't get me wrong I had the time of my life riding with the group & will go back for more.
The ride up by Rayburn last week was an absoloute great time for me & a little more of what I should be doing. I like sight seeing & stoping to smell the roses.
You know for me, riding the MX track @ home is some of the safest riding that I do, believe it or not. I don't just go out & do laps. Much of the time I am able to look at it like a 40 acre dirt play ground cause no one else is there. You really need to sneak out one day & come see:trust:.

Wastrel
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe once the knee gets to feeling better. I tried to sneak out last weekend for a short ride, fortunately the other guys bike broke after about a mile of riding and cut the day short. As it was, just that short stint in the dirt had my knee throbbing for 2 days. It really sux to get old, hehe. My biggest problem is I keep putting my right foot down in odd positions and jerking it backwards. Not good for the knee by the way. Add to that a new pair of MX boots (F3's) that weigh in at roughly 800 lbs each and are so stiff I cant even walk, and you get the idea. Now, I may ride down there, park the bike, and watch all the foolish people, but I don't think I will be joining the pain, hehe.

OLDERMXER
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Maybe once the knee gets to feeling better. I tried to sneak out last weekend for a short ride, fortunately the other guys bike broke after about a mile of riding and cut the day short. As it was, just that short stint in the dirt had my knee throbbing for 2 days. It really sux to get old, hehe. My biggest problem is I keep putting my right foot down in odd positions and jerking it backwards. Not good for the knee by the way. Add to that a new pair of MX boots (F3's) that weigh in at roughly 800 lbs each and are so stiff I cant even walk, and you get the idea. Now, I may ride down there, park the bike, and watch all the foolish people, but I don't think I will be joining the pain, hehe.

Parking the bike & watching: doh:? Right!
That's the story & your sticking to it, I'll never tell.:rofl: :rofl:

landman650r
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM

I just got the F3s, they DO break in:trust:

My family's land is off hwy 255 between the lakes and I plan on doing some riding this afternoon up there before the Louisiana Ride...Let me know if you head back to Rayburn.