• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Easy Dirt near Austin?

Reaction score
Just bought a V-Strom 650. Never been "off-road". Any suggestions for some dirt near Austin to practice in that wont beat up the new bike too much?

Just want to slide the rear and get used to it. Not drop it!

Probably 310, 309 and 315 out SW of Marble Falls. Plus you get to ride out 1431. Or find a new subdivision going in near you and test out the roads on a Sunday afternoon. You just need to catch them after grading, but before they put on the first asphalt coat.

There are several dirt roads east also in Bastrop County. From Elgin go south on 95 and take the first road on the right. As it parallels 95 it turns dirt and goes through a coule of big ranches. Well maintained and scenic. Or keep going east on 290 and turn right on Old Potato Rd; keep turning left and you end up on 21. Take a left and go north about 1/4 mile to get back on Old Potato going east again. keep going to the right and here are some dirt roads that will take you into Bastrop State Park in the pines. There are also some really nice roads northwest of the intersection of 21 and 290. Take the first road on the left as you head north on 21; Railroad Track Rd., and take a right at the T. I believe it's called Creek Rd. As you are heading west the roads keep changing as the opein pit Alcoa mine moves around so you just have to wander around a bit and get lost. It's all part of the fun, right?

Ride Report

North and east of Blue and Lexington are several county roads that are dirt, rock, and easy jeep trails. They were very easy on the Tiger. Quite a few roads up north and east of Lampasas. I noticed them on my way to Hico.

i ride a banged-up Weestrom and a couple of DR's. would be happy to show you some in my area if you care to.

Today I am going riding..:clap: :rider: ... what a perfect day! :sun:

Bro' Tigger - I really appreciate the info around Elgin-Bastrop. I've been needing a firsthand report. will probably head out to those roads today

z

Just bought a V-Strom 650. Never been "off-road". Any suggestions for some dirt near Austin to practice in that wont beat up the new bike too much?

Just want to slide the rear and get used to it. Not drop it!

Back