PDA

View Full Version : How should i clean my bike?

suzukijo
03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Bugs! argh. Water splash, yuck.

with my bike covered in bugs, i often use glass cleaner, as a spot touchup some ice spray detailer. seriously cleaning i use S100 and a Mr Clean water de-ionizing rinse, with a carnuba wax finish.

tell me, what do you use to clean your bike, and how?
(before and after pictures not necessary, but fun to look at tho)

like how you guys get the bugs out of the radiator fins? you take off the rock guard all the time, or just leave'em?

kurt
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
A water puddle. :mrgreen: I use bug and tar remover for stuck on bugs, soap and water for the rest. In the past I have used the Meguiar's 3 part cleaner/polish/wax for unbelievable results.

suzukijo
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
i dont believe it?

Challen
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

A girlfriend :trust:

suzukijo
03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
and how do you use that?

Squeaky
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't wash mine - a nice layer of dirt and grime helps me spot leaks, seeps, and other things starting to go wrong. ;-)

and how do you use that?

Like this :lol2:

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/533/FP07-153.jpg

suzukijo
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
that reminds me, local town nearby had a movie made in it once, called "CARWASH". downtown lancaster Ca. i need to go and see if the arched drive thru's are still there. elbandito, do you know? coner of beech and newgrove, maps live shows they are still up.

jhansen
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
S100. good stuff. shop vac in reverse to blow out the water from the nooks and cranies, with some plastic polish to finish up. leather cleaner for the bags.

gunzip
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
cleaning cuts into my riding time , a new tavern opened near where I work 'the hogwash cafe' .Ya drink suds while bikini clad chix detail your bike . Might have to try it sometime if it ever warms up enough to ride!!

etcthorne
03-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Ha! Finally something I can contribute to! You guys give me an inferiority complex somethings with all the crap you know - very helpful though!!!! :rofl:

Pledge furniture polish - pure and simple - for ALL surfaces. I've almost never washed any bike I've owned with water (except for one time when I got caught in a torrential downpour and ended up getting really muddy). I've also never had any rust on a bike.

Pledge is a proven substitute for the heralded "Honda Paint and Chrome" cleaner. Used gently, it coats dirt and particles, and if you use a clean rag it WILL NOT scratch paint. It puts a protective wax coating on the stuff you're cleaning, making it harder for bugs to stick the next time. It also removes chain grease "sling" from the wheels. You can also spray a lot of it on your shield (any manufacturer) and use GENTLE up and down strokes (never polish plastic in a circle) until it's removed and buffed. It will not scratch the shield.

I swear by the stuff, and it's cheap.

DFW_Warrior
03-07-2008, 05:56 AM
For the street bike I use Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner. It's the best stuff around IMO.

For the dirt bike I use a water hose and a little brass high pressure nozzle to blast off the bulk of the mud, then follow that up with simple green.

gunzip
03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Actually I will second the Pledge . Works great , lemony scent is a bonus !!!

kurt
03-07-2008, 06:42 AM
i dont believe it?

I was joking about the water puddle, but not about the rest.

DFW_Warrior
03-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I was joking about the water puddle, but not about the rest.

You mean that a water puddle isn't how you clean your bike?!?!?! Darn it, I've been following the wrong advice all along!:eek2:

DaveC
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
You mean that a water puddle isn't how you clean your bike?!?!?! Darn it, I've been following the wrong advice all along!:eek2:

He doesn't use a water puddle like you use a water puddle!(note avitar:rofl: )

soft brush, car wash stuff that some how ends up in my garage from various sources, simple green for the gear oil seepage found on Voyagers and rims. chiomois for the drying part. I ride in the rain on occasion, furniture polish just won't due. It works great for dusting!:lol2:

Cooltouch
03-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I use a water hose with a high pressure nozzle and a squirt bottle each of Simple Green and degreaser. Hey, it's a Beemer -- they can handle the wet. After it's been hosed down, I break out the compressed air and blast most of the water off, then towel dry it. Takes me maybe 15 minutes.

Then I have to let it sit for an hour so the points will dry out.

gotdurt
03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Clean? Bah. If too much mud gets caked on, I just go for a nice abusive ride and knock it all off.

If i need to work on it, I just soak it with simple green and hose it off... good as new.

For bugs I find my fingernails work well :thumb:

I know some that spray their clean bikes with WD-40, then when cleaning time comes, they just hose it off and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. might work for bugs too.

I do NOT suggest this method...
http://squeaky.smugmug.com/photos/252692930_de3wh-M.jpg

bones
03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
soap and water, dry with my leaf blower. Never really washed a bike with detail until I got these street bikes, all a bunch of crap if you ask me. :lol2:

Larry_77084
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
You mean people actually wash them? :eek2: The only time any of mine get cleaned is when it rains or I drop one in a river crossing

http://Larry-77084.smugmug.com/photos/139257942_zCQzG-M.jpg

I still have dirt on my KLR from the first time I took it to Terlingua 4 years ago.

Rainmaker
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Your supposed to clean these things? OOOOPPPPSSSS!

Squeaky
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Your supposed to clean these things? OOOOPPPPSSSS!

Only if you ride them, so you're safe. :lol2:

Dirtrideroader
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I resemble that remark!

Brass
03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
You mean people actually wash them? :eek2: The only time any of mine get cleaned is when it rains or I drop one in a river crossing

http://Larry-77084.smugmug.com/photos/139257942_zCQzG-M.jpg

I still have dirt on my KLR from the first time I took it to Terlingua 4 years ago.

A few more river crossings like that should help :eek2:

Roy
03-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Honestly I never do this and it still looks failry clean, as clean as a black bike can look.:eek2:

Rainmaker
03-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Not every one can blow off there jobs when ever they want, it called being responsible. It's an adult thing so you may not comprehend the concept. :rofl:

FarSideMan
03-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish, now in the Blue/Silver spray can without the Honda name on it. Simple Green on the wheels, though, with a toilet bowl cleaning brush. I find that Pledge looked fine, too, but when it's really hot out, my windscreen showed an oily film on it from the Pledge, so I quit using it.

Whoops! I just noticed this is a Suzuki Bandit thread. Sorry!

DFW_Warrior
03-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Whoops! I just noticed this is a Suzuki Bandit thread. Sorry!

Hey so it is.... I didn't notice till you said something.

Trailduster
03-08-2008, 08:50 PM

with my bike covered in bugs, i often use glass cleaner, as a spot touchup some ice spray detailer. seriously cleaning i use S100 and a Mr Clean water de-ionizing rinse, with a carnuba wax finish.

like how you guys get the bugs out of the radiator fins? you take off the rock guard all the time, or just leave'em?
For the radiator i use a long handle brush with really soft bristles and soapy water of course.

cruizer
03-08-2008, 09:35 PM
For the bugs just go down and by something like "Bug Off". I buy it at the local NAPA store. Just squirt it on the radiator...or where ever you have a bug problem...let it sit for about a minute and the bugs rinse right off...no muss...no fuss.

As for waxing/detailing...do yourself a favor...go on the internet and order some Mikes Buffalo Milke...you'll thank me. Spray it anywhere on your bike including the windscreen, gauges, engine, helmet...then wipe and buff. Leaves no residue and shines like crazy. If you're not using this stuff you're working too hard.

Cruizer

suzukijo
03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
how bout a couple close up shots of the bufflo milk shine. you just spray it on your windscreen?
not something showing your house and car in the background, like a good clear closeup of the areas.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8474/img0548ck8.jpg

i use mr clean deionizer water spray, which seems pretty good about not leaving water spots, but you say all i gotta do is spray the stuff on the the bugs fall out of the grooves?

pictures, pictures.....

Bob Dahringer
03-08-2008, 10:36 PM
When we take the kids down to the car wash to blast em off with the pressure washer, I'll give the bike a quick shot if I have enough quarters left over.
No, but seriously....time spent cleaning could be put to better use.......
like riding :rider:
bobzilla

cruizer
03-08-2008, 10:36 PM
how bout a couple close up shots of the bufflo milk shine.
not something showing your house and car in the background, like a good clear closeup of the radiator fins.

i use mr clean deionizer water spray, which seems pretty good about not leaving water spots, but you say all i gotta do is spray the stuff on the the bugs fall out of the grooves?

pictures, pictures.....

suzukijo...Mikes Buffalo Milke is for the wax/detailing not for getting the bugs off. You'll need "Bug Off", (that's actually the name of it) for that. It's just a spray on liquid that softens the bugs so they will rinse off with water.

Sorry...I have lowers on my 1250 so it's kind of hard to get a good pic of the radiator. Trust me though, this stuff works really well. I use it on my classic car before a show to rinse all the bugs off the radiator and front of the car.

Just go on the internet and look up Mikes buffalo Milke you'll see when you look through their products that they make a similar bug remover product as well...so just order up the bug remover and the spray wax at the same time and give it a try.

Cruizer

suzukijo
03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
For the radiator i use a long handle brush with really soft bristles and soapy water of course.

i agree.....

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7558/img0549gs1.jpg

suzukijo
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
thanks cruizer, i looked up mikes milke, couldnt find anything that actually told what it was, other than customer replies saying i should buy it.

sorry if i'm a little skeptical about 'spray it on, hose it off' stories.

just because you got lowers, just jam your camera up in there, hold it steady, and push the button.
host the pic.

from experience, there are usually 2 types of owners.
those that say cleaning your bike, is a waste of time you should be out riding.
and others who have a garage queen, that has 1/4 the miles it should because they hardly ride it.

i might be guilty of trolling, but sometimes that seems to bring out the kooks, but it also serves the purpose of actually getting some realistic answers.
its good to know whos who on some of these sites, and who rides what.

i guess i'm one of those that think elbow grease is the easiest cleaner.
some other listers might remember my chain lube thread, heres a shot i took just now, with one finger swipe under the chain guard. thats about 3k mi of gook under there,since i last cleaned under the guard, whats in your wallet?

pictures, pictures, .....

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9004/img0553wa9.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6067/img0557tj4.jpg

bugs, yuck!

whitesands
03-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I like to use plexus on plastics after a wash or Honda spray polish on plastics and metal parts after wash...

Also, after washing apply a good wax..I've heard lots of nice things about zaino.

sherob
03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
A 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide will remove bugs :trust: Plexus is good stuff :trust:

I tend to just ride in rain storms for a good washing :lol2: ... let the shop wash the bike when I have new tires mounted :trust:

wanabeguru
03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Blue Coral Wash & Wax concentrate. I mix it heavy, wash with a microfibre cloth, dry with a clean chamois. Bugs get a warm, wet cloth laid on em to soften before scrubbing off. I still need to clean/lube chain as Suzukijo does.
Wally

MikeS
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I've used Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on my bikes for the past 10yrs and it's the best for paint and plastic. Super for wheels too. But bugs in the radiator are the worst. I've used a toothbrush because the fins are so fine, I'm concerned about flattening 'em. A brush seems to work best. If you spray something on or use water, you run the risk of only getting the varmits stuck half way thru the radiator.

Mark_M
04-07-2008, 10:38 PM

I just came across this wonderful liquid in a spray bottle at the local Mc shop called TEXAS TWOSTEP. Basically spray and wipe n buff and the bike looks like it came from the showroom. Took out bugs or whatever gooey stuff that was on my windscreen in a jiffy. Also can be used on all chrome and paint surfaces to shine. Its a miracle worker this Texas Twostep :thumb:
cost me 13 bucks !!!