• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to Ride for Free?

• Thread starter Mike in Clear Lake
  • Start date
M

Mike in Clear Lake

Where to Ride Dirt for Free?

I'd like the names of some places where I can ride off-road and not go to a paid for track or park and be inundated with other riders. And it seems that during the week these places don't open until late afternoon.

So far all I have really gotten from this site is the free Hwy 87 beach ride. I'm not looking for MX, just anything that is a dirt road, trail, etc.

Did we have to pave everything that's a public road?:thpt:

Can we put up a list?

Last edited:
There is a public riding area at Somerville that I've ridden. It's tight and can be muddy, ruts, and has some hills to jump. It's kinda fun, but only on maybe 20 acres at most, probably more like 10. The trees get pretty tight there, too. It's much easier on a small displacement bike than something like a DRz400.

Thanks Jack. I'm a 250cc type of guy. Gotta map link?

I'll add to this question. How about anywhere in Texas? I'd love to riding in dirt sometimes, but I don't know where.

Yep, anywhere in Texas is good, or even LA, OK, NM. Let's get a list with some map links going.

Try the Canadian river on hiway 287 about 20 miles north of Amarillo. It's called the Rosita recreation area. It's big but I don't know how many acres.

Roger

360 is still there, you have to know where to park though. It is a busy place with 4X4s and custom buggies on most weekends, so you have to be on alert. Be advised that it is a huge mudfest after any rain.

Be sure to get one of these before you go off road in public lands...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/index.phtml

Yeah.... good luck getting one. None of the 'Where to buy" locations in Tarrant County carry them anymore, and the clerk at the TPWD office in Fort Worth claimed to know nothing about it until I pointed out the information packet on her own desk. Even then they do not sell the stickers at their own office. I would be happy to comply and buy the stickers for my bikes, but the issuing agency does not even sell them.

I need a new sticker. If they have them here, I'll pick up a few extrea to mail off to you folks that are having trouble.

I need a new sticker. If they have them here, I'll pick up a few extrea to mail off to you folks that are having trouble.

Speaking of stickers?????I have mail problems or should I say mailwoman problems[stuff goes to neighbors].Did you ever get my addy and stuff.

We sell 80~100 every weekend at Barnwell Mountain RA.

It is not free to ride there though ... but there are never more than a dozen bikes.

I picked up three yesterday. One for me, Elzi gets first dibbs on the others.

you can no longer ride at Yegua. The ORV area has been closed due to excessive vandalism. Nice -i never got to ride it even once.:miffed:

You didn't miss much , did they close it to riders and make it a full time trash dump . SEYA

heh, heh, no kidding huh? I have read the comments on the place being overrun by beer swilling ATV lummox but i thought that maybe that would be part of the adventure. :party: :suicide:
maybe not the adventure i really want

The place was tore up by the kwads several years ago. Was at one time a good place for a new rider but that was 5 years ago.

San Angelo is free (Twin Buttes). Nice little trail system maintained by locals.
TX off-road stickers are at almost every bike shop I've been to.

Back